CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS - 4/12 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject:

All I want to know is, which MORON in our coaching staff told Bynum to go into a low stance and flex his elbow? I don't think it's Kareem because they did this with Mihm last year and I didn't get it either(Mihm was a much better low post defender under Rudy T, IMO.) They think they're being smart because he's getting more strength against the offensive player, but the problem is, it basically immobilizes him, and he can't put his hand up at all(at least with any effectiveness), so now all the offensive player has to turn and he'd get an uncontested look. Usually, you'd want to use this "strategy" if you're shorter than the other guy, and has no choice(Malik Rose used to do this against Shaq a lot, and it was fairly effective), but not if you're taller. If you're taller, then no reasons why you shouldn't just react to his moves and contest or block the shots.

Now Bynum's post D is bad, but no way it's THIS bad. And his trouble usually comes against power fowards masquerading as centers, not a real but slow 7-footer like Kaman. Kaman is basically scoring on Bynum on an 80% clip in the last two games. Funny thing is, Bynum didn't need to use any gimmicks the first two games and still defended Kaman just fine, in fact, the only miss shot by Kaman on Bynum yesterday occurred when Bynum standed erect, slid his feet and put his hand up.

When I saw Bynum missed the two free throws to start out of the game, I knew we didn't prepare him enough. With a rookie like Bynum, you'd have to know what his tendencies are in such a big game. And not being able to handle pressure well is definitely one of them. It's no use being aggressive if you're not converting your free throws.

As much as I like Kareem, his teachings of Bynum on the fundamental aspects have been SLOW. It seems like he's been focusing too much on technical aspects like footwork(which I think has improved), and not enough on the fundamental aspects like how to react under pressure.

The good news is that it appears that he's "finally" told Bynum to stop passing out of the low post, UNLESS YOU HAVE TO, which he has to remember to tell a guy like Bynum, lest he takes everything literally, for example, Bynum took a fade over Kaman when it's clear that he should have passed it back it out. And dunking whenever possible.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
Thanks, DB.

At this point in the season, my ire tends not to be easily raised re: Phil's substitutions, as by now, I've usually come to accept. Nevertheless, I really think Farmar's conspicuous absence in the second half in favor of Sasha was critical. Like you (in your wry manner) said "apparently not good enough..."

It's nights like these when I just don't buy the idea that Phil is always coaching to win, even this late in the season with the playoffs still at stake. I mean, unless he honest-to-goodness just forgot about the guy, I flat-out can't imagine why he would have gone to Sasha at the top of the fourth and then back to Smush down the stretch if he was really intent on winning this game at all costs. If anything, go back to that big lineup he used before Farmar in the second quarter, with Kobe and evans in the backcourt.

Phil angling for the Mavs?
Sorry RYZ, I didn't see your post before writing mine. You are absolutely right. If he's angling for the Mavs, he's even crazier than I thought. Maybe he's trying to make a point to management about the team they gave him to work with. Only thing that makes sense. Oh, and Sasha shouldn't be in the NBA, ok?
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:

What coul be one with our horrible efense? Seriously what can be one before the playoffs even start?

It seems that Bynum just can't hol own the paint, an we're getting kille on the insie. We also can't play the pick an roll, an the guars play that pathetically poorly.

I'm just really bumme at our chances of making the playoffs let alone winning a few games in the playoffs.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
What coul be one with our horrible efense? Seriously what can be one before the playoffs even start?

It seems that Bynum just can't hol own the paint, an we're getting kille on the insie. We also can't play the pick an roll, an the guars play that pathetically poorly.

I'm just really bumme at our chances of making the playoffs let alone winning a few games in the playoffs.

very clever
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
tlim wrote:

very clever

oh crap... I read it quickly and thought to myself, "Man, this tlim guy isn't so bright..." But it turns out that it was me who wasn't so bright!

haha...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject:

^
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject:

This game was THE MOST FRUSTRATING GAME OF THE SEASON!!

All I can do is piss and moan!
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS - 4/12 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

George W Buss wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Luke -- -- You could see Maggette sizing up Luke a few times and driving. It's a bad match up for us.

When your starting forward scores 3 and his man gets 39, it's kind of tough to win.

Luke Walton is not a starting NBA player.

At least not for a good team.

Lakers have gotten way too happy with this guy and are playing him like he is a star or something.

Memo to management, Luke is a bit player, a limited one dimensional matador. Playing him more than 10 minutes a game is likely to be a failing proposition.

I can't name one starting 3 this guy can even come close to defending.

Hey, take a deep breath and think before posting next time

Hey, I agree with LakerLanny. And if YOU take a deep breath you"ll find out something stinks
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS - 4/12 - Thoughts and ratings

It's official, we are this year's second class team in LA!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: