LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 1-29-24 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 1-29-24 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Skipped this one midway through. Lakers gave up 78 in the first half, most this season. There was a play near the end of the half where the Lakers Had a defensive board, fumbled it away, then watched a three go up, didn't box anyone out and gave up a putback. Awful. They looked dead.

The Rockets were just running straight to the rim for layups and dunks again and again. Cam Whitmore, who I will always remember falling in the draft and being available for us, lit the Lakers up in the first quarter with 12-straight points in 4 minutes, including three dunks. No resistance by the team. When Vando got tossed in the second quarter, you could forget the Lakers picking up the defense because AD wasn’t playing any to start. Offensively, L.A. started very iso-oriented, as well. Yuck.

Lakers fell 135-119.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject:

First.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject:

I came away more impressed by the Rockets than discouraged by the Lakers. I look at the Rockets it looks like they are building a better version of peak Memphis Grizzlies talent:

Morant = Green
Jackson = Smith
Brooks = Brooks
Gasol = Segun
Bane = Whitmore (but Whitmore’s upside is far higher)

They simply out-athleted the Lakers tonight. More hustle, more quickness. For the Lakers to be good they gotta play slow bully ball and they never have enough focus in games to do that consistently
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Well, what a disaster. In addition, another game where Laker D looks like a sieve (mostly). I'm not even sure what this team's identity is anymore; I thought it was being top notch defensively, now it's "as long as AR and dlo get hot"...which leads to mixed results.

I do not think our back court combo offers much resistance on D, and game outcomes with them are heavily dictated by their offensive contribution (more times than not). Absent some big move (whatever that may be), this team is going to be, at best, a play in team (again)...but this team needing to win 2 play in games to get into a playoff series.

BTW, Beto Duran was going off on the team on the post game talk show. Good for him. He echoed alot of my feelings about this squad at the moment, as well as frustrations with Ham.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Well, what a disaster. In addition, another game where Laker D looks like a sieve (mostly). I'm not even sure what this team's identity is anymore; I thought it was being top notch defensively, now it's "as long as AR and dlo get hot"...which leads to mixed results.

I do not think our back court combo offers much resistance on D, and game outcomes with them are heavily dictated by their offensive contribution (more times than not). Absent some big move (whatever that may be), this team is going to be, at best, a play in team (again)...but this team needing to win 2 play in games to get into a playoff series.

BTW, Beto Duran was going off on the team on the post game talk show. Good for him. He echoed alot of my feelings about this squad at the moment, as well as frustrations with Ham.

Besides AD and Vanderbilt, who is a great individual defender on the team? Hard to make that your identity when you have below average defenders like Reaves, DLO, and LeBron as three of your four best players.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DrDent wrote:

Besides AD and Vanderbilt, who is a great individual defender on the team? Hard to make that your identity when you have below average defenders like Reaves, DLO, and LeBron as three of your four best players.

Precisely. That was their calling card during that post-trade run. This year, guys getting exposed.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Lakers look gassed

Opportunity to gauge their depth - supposedly a strength. It is noted that Vanderbilt (ejection), Vincent, Reddish and Prince (did he play in this game - lol) did not play

Hoping that Hayes has taken note and learning to incorporate the energy that Vanderbilt always display on the court. When Vanderbilt is out, the lack of energy and defensive effectiveness disappears.

The SF opposite of Lebron needs to be an impactful player that is an effectice shooter but the highest priority is bringing a defensive to make Ham’s defensive schemes. DLo and AR are better defensively when Vanderbilt and/or Reddish is on the court. When Prince is a triple threat on the court - No Energy, No offense and No defense - DLo and AR are caught when Prince’s opponent backdoor him, loses his man while looking for somebody to double-team/stunt while finding it hard to rebound when he is going away from the basket

Noting all the trade rumors, would Murray made any tangible difference in this game over DLo - Nope
Noting all the trade rumors, would DS made any tangible differences, maybe on the defensive (where opponents would shoot over him, or offensively (better than DLo) - Nope

The real games start right after the ASG where Ham will start to have a shorter rotation.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers had no legs. Dlo showed up early and his shots all were super short later on. Bron was the only one that was really in it but he kind of went into ball hog mode. It’s incredible to see the oldest player have the most juice. Vandos energy was missed badly.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject:

I stopped watching at the end of the first Q, when they gave up - not just the last basket, but literally. 42 points allowed in the first. Lol. Sick and tired of this team.
I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:19 am    Post subject:

Remember coach said no more excuses team need to decide which team they are. Well looks like this is who they are. Some nights good and some nights awful and overall mediocre.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 am    Post subject:

Just a horrible game from a horrible team with a horrible coach. Ham was hired because he was supposed to be relatable to players and able to hold them accountable. Not. Guys played like they could care less. And it started at the top with Lebron and AD. No effort no enthusiasm.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Just a horrible game from a horrible team with a horrible coach. Ham was hired because he was supposed to be relatable to players and able to hold them accountable. Not. Guys played like they could care less. And it started at the top with Lebron and AD. No effort no enthusiasm.

I think they saw the Celtics with Udoka and tried to copy and paste.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject:

It is games like this that are killing the NBA TV ratings.

The regular season is way too long and as a result you have teams giving less than max effort regularly.

Allowing 135 points means you aren't trying hard enough.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject:

The team sold out in the nationally televised game against the 19 win Warriors. Nothing left for a team that they are fighting for position with. Oh well, they got their national exposure, that’s all that matters.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject:

The Lakers offense is the biggest culprit. During every game there are only 3 players playing defense at a time. There is very little ball movement...the opposing players can chill knowing it's LeBron...ad...or dlo...who will take 90% of the shots. Y'all notice the first play is usually for prince....it's cuz he likely won't see the ball again...not purposely. So whoever guards prince...and Austin Reeves is basically resting... reeves as a starter and more minutes sees less shots ...why? Cuz our offense is basically a 3 on 5.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Diloon (the guy is loony) Brooks really is starting to get to Draymond levels of not even trying too play actual basketball defense...When will the league give him actual real punishment?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: