NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 975, 976, 977 ... 2558, 2559, 2560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
Got it. Thank you for the explanation. I thought anything that can be used as a standard of measurement is a metric but its not worth delving into.

Key things to consider, how old are these metrics? Are they time tested and proven to produce winning outcomes? Several metrics I've seen are not always indicative of who the better player is, especially when considering fit a player has with the team.

Fair enough. When I talk about metrics, I'm talking about the modern stuff based on +/- data and the like. Technically, PER can be called a metric, but most folks don't use the term so broadly.

Metrics are not magic, and they don't exactly tell you who the "better" player is. They measure production on offense and defense. The trick is how to isolate the effect of different players in different lineups under different conditions. That's why we get different numbers, and it is also why I like to look at as many metrics as possible. There can be outliers in any statistical system. Anyway, they won't tell you that Player A is "better" than Player B. They will tell you that Player A's production is better than Player B's.

As for whether they produce winning results, that's complicated. Front offices use metrics, though they usually work with data that is a lot more sophisticated than these "single number metrics." The Warriors are big on metrics and analytics (which is broader than metrics). But you don't build a winning team just by assembling a bunch of guys with good metrics. There are fit issues, scheme issues, and personality issues. Metrics are tools, not delivered wisdom from heaven.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Also keep in mind that defensive metrics are far more questionable than offensive metrics. Defense is an extremely difficult thing to measure this way.

I don't agree with that, but let's save that argument for another day.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
I think its really about the time that Lakers start to look into the future and build something. I dont know if this is the right thread but as a long time Laker fan I really have this expectation and wish right now.
I really hope that Lakers will try to find good core and stick to it for years to come. They have to realize that its not all about star power. Its about building the team that has chemistry and cohesion.
IMO the guys to stick are:

Austin Reaves - I dont care what the price is. Keep him. He is the guy who gives always all on the court, high IQ and he is developing recently a lot. Great in defense, can shoot and also does not require shots, doesn't have ego and seems good person too.
Max Christie - only an idiot cannot see how this guy can be good. But he need years to develop. Maybe 3, maybe 4 but it will come. And when it comes that shot release will be deadly. Also already quite good defensively.
Rui Hachimura - Yes. Yes. he played only one game I know. But I watched him in Wizards a lot and he is exactly the type of the player Lakers need. Big wing,can create his own shot and can develop still defensively.
Wenyen Gabriel - nothing special, but exactly what you need as 12th or 13th guy in the roster. Big, athletic and ready to do what is necessary for the team.

These are the players I would keep no matter what. You have some 1st rounders to find someone good. And obviously there is always FA market.
Lets just hope AD can be at least a bit healthy.
Lebron is at the end so I dont count him for the future. If not this one, the next season is his last in Laker uniform.

Rob please be smart!

Good post. I think Max is already reliable. Sure he has a lot of room to grow, but I really think he is going to steal minutes from Walker when he gets back.
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
I think its really about the time that Lakers start to look into the future and build something. I dont know if this is the right thread but as a long time Laker fan I really have this expectation and wish right now.
I really hope that Lakers will try to find good core and stick to it for years to come. They have to realize that its not all about star power. Its about building the team that has chemistry and cohesion.

Austin Reaves - I dont care what the price is. Keep him. He is the guy who gives always all on the court, high IQ and he is developing recently a lot. Great in defense, can shoot and also does not require shots, doesn't have ego and seems good person too.
Max Christie - only an idiot cannot see how this guy can be good. But he need years to develop. Maybe 3, maybe 4 but it will come. And when it comes that shot release will be deadly. Also already quite good defensively.
Rui Hachimura - Yes. Yes. he played only one game I know. But I watched him in Wizards a lot and he is exactly the type of the player Lakers need. Big wing,can create his own shot and can develop still defensively.
Wenyen Gabriel - nothing special, but exactly what you need as 12th or 13th guy in the roster. Big, athletic and ready to do what is necessary for the team.

These are the players I would keep no matter what. You have some 1st rounders to find someone good. And obviously there is always FA market.
Lebron is at the end so I dont count him for the future. If not this one, the next season is his last in Laker uniform.

Rob please be smart!

Good post. I think Max is already reliable. Sure he has a lot of room to grow, but I really think he is going to steal minutes from Walker when he gets back.

I would add that I think Wenyen is going to be better than the OP projects. He has drive and tools to work with.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
But the Bucks usually did. What lineups were bigger than that? That championship year is comparable to the 2020 Lakers that were famous for being a BIG team.

Very true. Alright, you guys got me onboard the Myles Leonard train.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!

Last edited by epic_ on Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Rob please be smart!

Depending on what it may cost to retain Lonnie next season, I wouldn't be mad to see Reaves slide into the starting spot at SG, with Max coming off the bench. Another year of growth, and added strength, should work wonders for Christie. From all accounts, kid seems to be a real hard worker.

Honestly, I even think this might be the best approach. Not having to worry about resigning Lonnie frees up the Lakers to do other things with their remaining cap space if they have it (notwithstanding any future moves this season that may effect future cap space). St some point, young talent needs room to grow and develop. Hard to do that if he's constantly 3rd in line behind Walker and Reaves. And, as much as I like Lonnie, Reaves is the more important player to keep between the two.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:

This is the right thread. Here is the dilemma:

1. On the one hand, there are many of us who would really like to see the Lakers start building something and not just keep churning the roster. The more extreme members of this faction are ready to unload Davis now and Lebron in the summer.

2. On the other hand, there are a lot of people who feel that it is imperative to maximize the roster NOW while we have Lebron. Some members of this faction would burn all of the young players and draft picks in the hope that we might jell into a title contender this season.

Both positions are reasonable, but they are at tension with each other. As always, there is a mushy middle ground that makes no one happy. This, of course, appears to describe the front office.
Vencal
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Darkndeep wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Rob please be smart!

I would add that I think Wenyen is going to be better than the OP projects. He has drive and tools to work with.

It has been virtually impossible to look too much into the future with the last few seasons, with the team constructed around LaBron, AD and a bunch of vet minimums coming and going. But I can see a glimmer of hope for a future team with the 4 guys mentioned above. We can see the all around positives Austin can bring and I am hopeful on Rui.

Wenyen is the guy I am really enjoying out there this season. His skills seem limited but his effort is not. He is just fun to watch compete and to me (an old timer) he brings a Kurt Rambis vibe of doing whatever it takes to help-out and never complain about anything and you need a player like that on a successful team.

And Max is a surprise to me on his improvements during his limited playing time the season. He looked like a total mess in Summer league, but he is improving and I will be interested to see what he can be in a few years. I really hope that will be on the Lakers.

So if you can keep this group, add some really good drafting and pick-up some quality FA's, there might actually be hope in the Post-LaBron Lakers future, and that in an improvement from recent years..
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

1. On the one hand, there are many of us who would really like to see the Lakers start building something and not just keep churning the roster. The more extreme members of this faction are ready to unload Davis now and Lebron in the summer.

2. On the other hand, there are a lot of people who feel that it is imperative to maximize the roster NOW while we have Lebron. Some members of this faction would burn all of the young players and draft picks in the hope that we might jell into a title contender this season.

Both positions are reasonable, but they are at tension with each other. As always, there is a mushy middle ground that makes no one happy. This, of course, appears to describe the front office.

I'm firmly in the no.1 camp, lol.

That said, I believe I am reasonable. And, while I do think there are ways to improve the Lakers now AND in the future (i.e. the Hachimura deal), those kinds of moves/opportunities are examples if fine calculus, that is not easy.

By comparison, the extremes on both ends are easier, but with wildly different results. On one hand, you can abandon the AD/LeBron era, and opt for a complete rebuild, subjecting fans to the waiting game. Much like what the Spurs are going through right now.

Or, you can push all your chips in, and gamble that making big major moves results in another championship, under LeBron/AD. If it works, the cost is most likely a looong purgatory, afterwards. Especially if AD continues to sustain injuries. If the gamble doesn't pay off, then it's a loong purgatory, and wasted assets.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Megaton wrote:
But the Bucks usually did. What lineups were bigger than that? That championship year is comparable to the 2020 Lakers that were famous for being a BIG team.

Very true. Alright, you guys got me onboard the Myles Leonard train.

What?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Dwight and McGee brought a lot to the title team, including how they let Davis roam defensively. But once we got past Denver in the playoffs, they were spectators. Myles is a really interesting fit, because he gives you a legit non-Davis anchor, and he can shoot enough to keep defenses honest. But it’s also not clear he stays on the floor in a deep playoff run. He also wants a financial commitment that would make him a serious part of our cap.

If the pice from Indy comes way down, maybe it’s still worth it, based on shear talent. But IMO we would be better off investing in another Wing/Forward and looking for a more useful six fouls than Damian.

Dwight was old and past his prime tho. McGee is an asthmatic that provides a high motor in short bursts. They were both good defensive players, but provided little at all on the offensive end.

Myles injury concerns are valid, but he provides a legit stretch option on offense that is capable of calling his own number when necessary. AD would play the 5 role on offense even with Myles on the floor.

Then comes the other end on defense…

Postseason play is mostly half court & slowed down. Other teams would have to matchup to us.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Rob please be smart!

Reaves should get more minutes too. I just don’t see the need for Walker. I think he is much suited for a defensive team that need some offense. We have enough scoring especially after obtaining Rui. We need more defensive minded wings and we need to give more minutes to Christie as well.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Dwight and McGee brought a lot to the title team, including how they let Davis roam defensively. But once we got past Denver in the playoffs, they were spectators. Myles is a really interesting fit, because he gives you a legit non-Davis anchor, and he can shoot enough to keep defenses honest. But it’s also not clear he stays on the floor in a deep playoff run. He also wants a financial commitment that would make him a serious part of our cap.

If the pice from Indy comes way down, maybe it’s still worth it, based on shear talent. But IMO we would be better off investing in another Wing/Forward and looking for a more useful six fouls than Damian.

Dwight was old and past his prime tho. McGee is an asthmatic that provides a high motor in short bursts. They were both good defensive players, but provided little at all on the offensive end.

Myles injury concerns are valid, but he provides a legit stretch option on offense that is capable of calling his own number when necessary. AD would play the 5 role on offense even with Myles on the floor.

Postseason play is mostly half court & slowed down. Other teams would have to matchup to us.

Ask Rudy Gobert how slow the teams are in the post season.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakers showing trade interest in Caris LeVert

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1618669374654582791

I would trade for him, he’s a very good role player.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Ask Rudy Gobert how slow the teams are in the post season.

Weird statement. The pace slows in the playoffs, this is a documented trend year after year. And pace/speed isn't why the Jazz lost the playoffs or Jokic would never make it out of the 2nd round. Gobert teams lose because it's easier to scheme against a 5 that clogs the paint. We saw this ourselves with Drummond/AD. On defense, Gobert couldn't cover for all the horrible defenders (Mitchell, Bojan, Clarkson, Ingles) getting cooked on the perimeter. How often did you see Javale rushing out to the corner to cover an open man? It would have meant a massive defensive failure on our part, but he wasn't having to do it. Gobert was in numerous "lowlights" like this and that's how the "DPOY my ass" stuff was born.

If you think Myles is a Gobert type, just please admit you haven't seen him play. Athletically, he's far closer to AD than Gobert/Drummond/Javale/Late-career Dwight.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakers showing trade interest in Caris LeVert

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1618669374654582791

I would trade for him, he’s a very good role player.

Pat bev + 2nd
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Weird statement. The pace slows in the playoffs, this is a documented trend year after year.

The point wasn’t that the game doesn’t slow down in the playoffs. Just not as much for someone like Gobert that they can’t get run off the court.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject:

AD's back so there should be no more excuses from now on. If the team underperforms with AD and Bron playing at a high level, then Pelinka should be fired immediately. But then Jeanie is a bl_ _ _ _.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Windhorst:

https://twitter.com/_talkin_nba/status/1618698001140305920?s=46&t=_TUjknEcYPT_jciVb7af0Q
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Windhorst:

https://twitter.com/_talkin_nba/status/1618698001140305920?s=46&t=_TUjknEcYPT_jciVb7af0Q

pat Bev + lonnie + d jones = 21.6m in salary
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Weird statement. The pace slows in the playoffs, this is a documented trend year after year.

The point wasn’t that the game doesn’t slow down in the playoffs. Just not as much for someone like Gobert that they can’t get run off the court.

But it is a weird statement cause you implying AD and/or Myles (if we trade for him) will be treading through molasses. Wait, you can eat French crepes with that, right?

Anyways point being, both those guys ain’t moving like Rudy crepes a go Gobert.

2023 RegSZN Pace among centers (>=25 mins per)
2) AD
9) Myles
14) crepes a go go
https://go.nba.com/490rh

2019/20 PostSZN:
7) Myles
8) AD
Last) sacre blue
https://go.nba.com/a67ok

2020/21 PostSZN
Rudy’s PACE higher than AD’s 🤯 (although AD was kinda gimpy this year and we talking about a 5 game sample size for AD)
https://go.nba.com/29sgl

2021/22 PostSZN
Au revior Anthony & Myles, no playoffs for you
2nd to last) Rudy
https://go.nba.com/p4m3r

I gave you an Eiffel, uh eyeful, but the point to all this is that I need to get some food ASAP and that if you bring in a legit 2way center to move AD to the 4, we become a serious title contender…cause our defense could be gangbusters. Now I’m gonna go get gutbusters & get my mouthful ✌🏼
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Me thinks Pat Bev + Protected 1st + potential salary ballast goes for the best player available.
Rob will wait it out to the deadline.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject:

What would it take to get LeVert?
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Damien Jones is one of those players that needs to go boy was I wrong about this guy

Can’t have a player that you refuse to play sitting on the end of your bench making that much
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

I'm firmly in the no.1 camp, lol.

That said, I believe I am reasonable. And, while I do think there are ways to improve the Lakers now AND in the future (i.e. the Hachimura deal), those kinds of moves/opportunities are examples if fine calculus, that is not easy.

By comparison, the extremes on both ends are easier, but with wildly different results. On one hand, you can abandon the AD/LeBron era, and opt for a complete rebuild, subjecting fans to the waiting game. Much like what the Spurs are going through right now.

Or, you can push all your chips in, and gamble that making big major moves results in another championship, under LeBron/AD. If it works, the cost is most likely a looong purgatory, afterwards. Especially if AD continues to sustain injuries. If the gamble doesn't pay off, then it's a loong purgatory, and wasted assets.

If we continue with your analogy, we won`t know what comes after the purgatory. It could be the paradise (championship contender) or the inferno (stuck in the middle, not good enough to fight for the ring, not bad enough for high picks).
I am for the all in variant. We have 2 superstars, albeit with asterisks. LeBron is geriatric, but still he is Lebron. AD is made of glass. Use those pciks and bring them help. If they are healthy when playoffs comes, with a balanced roster, we have a chance against anybody. It is no supernova team now, where you have only a glimpse of a chance. The fight is open this year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 975, 976, 977 ... 2558, 2559, 2560  Next
Page 976 of 2560
Jump to: