NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 714, 715, 716 ... 2569, 2570, 2571  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject:

Balto wrote:
To all that want to keep the picks and let WB expire.

What then? You can't just trade picks this offseason with no salary attached. Who will we have to attach as salary to use those picks on someone else? S&T WB? That will just make it harder because of hard capping. Trade LeBron? Not if he wants to stay a Laker. AD? Same as LeBron.

Just saying that keeping picks and not making a bad trade sounds good but that could very easily mean punting NEXT season, or at least half of it, yet again.

We are not a contender and won’t be for a few years. We are fighting to be competitive. That is all. The absolute best case scenario is trading AD for a haul. Let bron play out his career. In 3 years be set up to rise.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject:

Balto wrote:
To all that want to keep the picks and let WB expire.

What then? You can't just trade picks this offseason with no salary attached. Who will we have to attach as salary to use those picks on someone else? S&T WB? That will just make it harder because of hard capping. Trade LeBron? Not if he wants to stay a Laker. AD? Same as LeBron.

Just saying that keeping picks and not making a bad trade sounds good but that could very easily mean punting NEXT season, or at least half of it, yet again.

As long as the Lakers insist on building a roster where the focal point is a declining James and his max extension … they are punting competitive seasons anyways.

Trading away picks will not change that.

As much as I would love to imagine a trade that brings back perfect fits, I am not seeing one happening. They blew that opportunity last off-season.

At this point, I have accepted this season is simply about marketing the scoring record. Lakers will remain irrelevant as a competitive playoff team.

Let WBs contract come off the books and pray to the basketball Gods ( will sacrifices at the alter be needed?) that James has had enough and retires.

Not a perfect solution but at least they can start assembling a sustainable roster that will compete nightly instead of an underachieving top heavy roster and filled out with one year contracts. Give Ham and Davis some room to breath, they might surprise us.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
whelp. Turner and Hield not lighting it up from 3 tonight and since this is the only game Rob will have seen them in, you can forget that trade.

Where do you realistically expect a 7-13 (.350) team that replaces Westbrook (possibly Reaves as well) for Hield/Turner to elevate to?

We're looking at 45 win range IMO with them, and likely 35 win without the trade.

So far this team hasn't shown a few things

1) That they are very well coached
2) That they have depth/talent to compete against the playoff teams
3) That Lebron is close to his prime level

The one bright spot all year has been AD, as AD looks like he's still a star in his prime. That's awesome. We should be doing all we can to move him for longterm assets. I wouldn't count on it, but some team may be willing to give up what Minnesota gave up for Gobert. Of course even if we got 75% of what Minnesota did, we'd be in a solid spot moving into next offseason.

Unless the plan is suddenly to build around AD in which case I have a different take. But I don't believe the Lakers would do this, as they're still heavily invested in Lebron and probably like all of us, doubt that AD can stay healthy on a regular basis to be counted on as a franchise player (like Gianiis, Luka, Ja etc). Big if here, if the Lakers went all in on building around AD from age 29-33, and AD can stay playing at this level when he's healthy (which he should, it's only injuries that hold him back) that you can probably build a very good team with him as the main piece, so long as you get quality shooters/defenders and a floor general not erratic in decision making like Westbrook. I just highly doubt we would sub out WB+Lebron (90M in salaries) for 6 good players. That's what we would need really, sub out the salaries of WB/LBK for 5-6 solid NBA players and then you have a team that can be quite good if AD keeps playing as he is. That's what other teams have around their superstar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
whelp. Turner and Hield not lighting it up from 3 tonight and since this is the only game Rob will have seen them in, you can forget that trade.

Where do you realistically expect a 7-13 (.350) team that replaces Westbrook (possibly Reaves as well) for Hield/Turner to elevate to?

We're looking at 45 win range IMO with them, and likely 35 win without the trade.

The one bright spot all year has been AD, as AD looks like he's still a star in his prime. That's awesome. We should be doing all we can to move him for longterm assets. I wouldn't count on it, but some team may be willing to give up what Minnesota gave up for Gobert. Of course even if we got 75% of what Minnesota did, we'd be in a solid spot moving into next offseason.

Unless the plan is suddenly to build around AD in which case I have a different take. But I don't believe the Lakers would do this, as they're still heavily invested in Lebron and probably like all of us, doubt that AD can stay healthy on a regular basis to be counted on as a franchise player (like Gianiis, Luka, Ja etc). Big if here, if the Lakers went all in on building around AD from age 29-33, and AD can stay playing at this level when he's healthy (which he should, it's only injuries that hold him back) that you can probably build a very good team with him as the main piece, so long as you get quality shooters/defenders and a floor general not erratic in decision making like Westbrook. I just highly doubt we would sub out WB+Lebron (90M in salaries) for 6 good players. That's what we would need really, sub out the salaries of WB/LBK for 5-6 solid NBA players and then you have a team that can be quite good if AD keeps playing as he is. That's what other teams have around their superstar.

I don’t know if a Gobert type haul is reasonable at this point. It shocked the league and notably other stars on the block since have gone for less. The way the trade has looked for Minnesota so far is only going to decrease the chances of it happening again.

Davis has been great, but without the means to put a winner around him there’s very little point in keeping him. I would be happy with a decent prospect and a handful of unprotected picks/swaps. We are headed for an organizational reset anyway. Let’s sell high.

If we trade those picks for a Myles/Buddy type of return we might as well hang the Play In Tournament banner we won a couple years ago because it would represent a total shift into chasing mediocrity at any cost.

The State of the Lakers is poor and there’s no move around the margins that elevates us to anything worthwhile. You would hope a guy like Pelinka, with his inexplicable long term job security, would be the guy to pull the trigger on a Davis trade. We’ve only got 1 more pick to cough up after this draft. Time for the next chapter.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

very astute observation
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject:

Incompetence runs deep in the organizing starting with Jeanie to clown ex agent rob pelinka

No trade is going to help this team
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Incompetence runs deep in the organizing starting with Jeanie to clown ex agent rob pelinka

No trade is going to help this team

Fact of the matter is, that even if we blew it all up, I have zero confidence that this FO could ever rebuild a consistent winner, "let long" a championship caliber team.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

^
I still think we can get into the play ins if AD sustains current level and stays healthy, there's really only one team that we need to falter with injuries (OKC is going to start tanking soon IMO) so then it's between us and a few other teams there cramped up between 9-10-11. It could go any of a few ways, we may be there in March/April.

The thing is I wonder what the net gain of a play in appearance is vs moving AD before the trade deadline. Do they think it's going to be a major selling point in the summer for a free agent? Which FA? For sure it has crossed their mind about some sort of re-set. The situation we have with Lebron, we could easily manage the same situation of Lebron putting some great games (and a lot of so-so or bad ones) the next 2 years on a team with much younger players and some longterm draft haul to work with, instead of AD.

I actually like AD a ton, and enjoy watching him play. He's a unique talent, one of the best players in the league when healthy and engaged. I just don't think we'll ever get a shot at getting some longterm assets like we have now and keeping him, I wonder what the thinking is there. If it's to be respectable and competitive, ok. I'm sure we can manage that post-trade. If it's to build around AD, I don't see how they're setting that up. If it's to win a title, then Jeanie needs to be willing to pay major major tax as she's going to need to stockpile on talent and depth as AD/Lebron need what Kawhi/PG have, a depth of talent that can keep the team .500 when they rest/recover half of the RS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
I still think we can get into the play ins if AD sustains current level and stays healthy, there's really only one team that we need to falter with injuries (OKC is going to start tanking soon IMO) so then it's between us and a few other teams there cramped up between 9-10-11. It could go any of a few ways, we may be there in March/April.

The thing is I wonder what the net gain of a play in appearance is vs moving AD before the trade deadline. Do they think it's going to be a major selling point in the summer for a free agent? Which FA? For sure it has crossed their mind about some sort of re-set. The situation we have with Lebron, we could easily manage the same situation of Lebron putting some great games (and a lot of so-so or bad ones) the next 2 years on a team with much younger players and some longterm draft haul to work with, instead of AD.

I actually like AD a ton, and enjoy watching him play. He's a unique talent, one of the best players in the league when healthy and engaged. I just don't think we'll ever get a shot at getting some longterm assets like we have now and keeping him, I wonder what the thinking is there. If it's to be respectable and competitive, ok. I'm sure we can manage that post-trade. If it's to build around AD, I don't see how they're setting that up.
If it's to win a title, then Jeanie needs to be willing to pay major major tax as she's going to need to stockpile on talent and depth as AD/Lebron need what Kawhi/PG have, a depth of talent that can keep the team .500 when they rest/recover half of the RS.

I think we should build around AD but it's going to cost money to bring in the right, quality players.
This is one of our major problems moving forward. At some point we have to open the purse strings or the more aggressive spending teams will stay ahead of us.
It takes money to make money.

Last edited by pio2u on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject:

I would keep a eye on the Hawks for a possible trade if they decide to blow it up
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I would keep a eye on the Hawks for a possible trade if they decide to blow it up

1. The Hawks are nowhere near panic mode.
2. We don't have anything they really need outside of AD; and that "aint gonna happen."
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
^

I actually like AD a ton, and enjoy watching him play. He's a unique talent, one of the best players in the league when healthy and engaged. I just don't think we'll ever get a shot at getting some longterm assets like we have now and keeping him, I wonder what the thinking is there. If it's to be respectable and competitive, ok. I'm sure we can manage that post-trade. If it's to build around AD, I don't see how they're setting that up.
If it's to win a title, then Jeanie needs to be willing to pay major major tax as she's going to need to stockpile on talent and depth as AD/Lebron need what Kawhi/PG have, a depth of talent that can keep the team .500 when they rest/recover half of the RS.

I think we should build around AD but it's going to cost money to bring in the right, quality players.
This is one of our major problems moving forward. At some point we have to open the purse strings or the more aggressive spending teams will stay ahead of us.

How do you build around AD with LeBron making $50M? It’s a weak FA class this summer and they’d have to renounce everyone (aka talent going out) to get close (but still fall short) of a max. Then the whole rest of the team is mins. The only trade assets they have are the two picks. Let’s say something miraculous happens and the Bulls trade LaVine to us for the two picks. That would represent a strong return on those picks, right? Is Zach LaVine, AD, and minimums winning you a title? At this point we need a primary superstar to replace LeBron and a team filled with depth to compete for a ring. We don’t have the resources to acquire this.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
pio2u wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
^

How do you build around AD with LeBron making $50M? It’s a weak FA class this summer and they’d have to renounce everyone (aka talent going out) to get close (but still fall short) of a max. Then the whole rest of the team is mins. The only trade assets they have are the two picks. Let’s say something miraculous happens and the Bulls trade LaVine to us for the two picks. That would represent a strong return on those picks, right? Is Zach LaVine, AD, and minimums winning you a title? At this point we need a primary superstar to replace LeBron and a team filled with depth to compete for a ring. We don’t have the resources to acquire this.

Unfortunately it's going to take 2-3 years to climb out of this quandary. smh
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject:

I am convinced the Lakers FO and Jeanie circle of trust no longer believe that LeGrandpa and Day to Davis can carry any combination of role players.

It’s Cavs 2.0

I wouldn’t trade assets either. LeGM and deputy era is over imo. Better off making that change this summer. Should have been this past summer but I think the FO wasn’t super sure until now. Also think that Jeanie’s marketing priorities played a role too (LBJ extension).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^

For whatever it's worth, 538 projects us at 31-51, 12th in the West (25th overall). 538 projects the Kings at 11th and the TWolves and Blazers tied at 10th with 40 wins. Computer projections are not gospel, and there is a lot that can happen between now and April. Still, that's an objective viewpoint.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject:

Everything starts with getting rid of Lebron and Westbrook's salary. If they don't want to trade Lebron then they should trade Davis to get some assets. No sense keeping them both and being a bad team for no reason.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I am convinced the Lakers FO and Jeanie circle of trust no longer believe that LeGrandpa and Day to Davis can carry any combination of role players.

It’s Cavs 2.0

I wouldn’t trade assets either. LeGM and deputy era is over imo. Better off making that change this summer. Should have been this past summer but I think the FO wasn’t super sure until now. Also think that Jeanie’s marketing priorities played a role too (LBJ extension).

While that may be true, I don't trust the FO to make the proper changes or choices even if it was right in their face. This FO needs PROFESSIONAL help...asap.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Everything starts with getting rid of Lebron and Westbrook's salary. If they don't want to trade Lebron then they should trade Davis to get some assets. No sense keeping them both and being a bad team for no reason.

LeBron can’t be traded until the summer. When he’s eligible, he’s got a 15% trade kicker on a $46M deal plus a PO the next year for $50M. Who is matching salaries on that?

LeBron is here to stay for the next 2 seasons.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers were willing to go all in around AD (and then Lebron), moving for Hield/Turner without involving Nunn/THT was the way to go. Then, with Nunn/THT (or lets say Bev instead of THT) you go out and get another player before deadline, on a longterm deal. Meaning you've now added Turner, Hield, a 3rd player (who was unloaded as the team wanted to get rid of $$ longterm). You signed Walker. Keep Reaves. Now you're talking ballpark a team that can compete in the playoffs this year. The issue here is the lux tax bill. These moves mean Jeanie/BFT pay a bill they can't/won't.

So we're not really going to build the team that is needed to get into contention, as it would require major $$$ added. Not only unload WB for Hield/Turner, but then also be willing to unload Bev/Nunn for another $20M a year type of player. In the summer, use the tax payer MMLE, keep Walker, Reaves etc. After this, you're going to have a team that can stay competitive in the playoffs in the remainder of the Lebron era. I honest could get behind this, but I can't see why Jeanie would. They would need to accept a financial loss the next 2 years.

Arguably the biggest mistake Lebron made in his Lakers tenures was sjgning longterm deals and extensions in advance. He never was able to put any real pressure on the Lakers FO the way he was Cleveland. This is in large part why the Lakers FO can justify not going all in financially. If Lebron was signing 1+1s, the Lakers would have operated a little differently, IMO. But not sure if Lebron came to LA to do that or just wanted to settle in LA with fam, and see his career out, win a title along the way.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
defense wrote:

LeBron can’t be traded until the summer. When he’s eligible, he’s got a 15% trade kicker on a $46M deal plus a PO the next year for $50M. Who is matching salaries on that?

LeBron is here to stay for the next 2 seasons.

jeanie will be begging him to stay to make her money. I doubt she even cares about going for championship
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

I don’t know if a Gobert type haul is reasonable at this point. It shocked the league and notably other stars on the block since have gone for less. The way the trade has looked for Minnesota so far is only going to decrease the chances of it happening again.

Davis has been great, but without the means to put a winner around him there’s very little point in keeping him. I would be happy with a decent prospect and a handful of unprotected picks/swaps. We are headed for an organizational reset anyway. Let’s sell high.

If we trade those picks for a Myles/Buddy type of return we might as well hang the Play In Tournament banner we won a couple years ago because it would represent a total shift into chasing mediocrity at any cost.

The State of the Lakers is poor and there’s no move around the margins that elevates us to anything worthwhile. You would hope a guy like Pelinka, with his inexplicable long term job security, would be the guy to pull the trigger on a Davis trade. We’ve only got 1 more pick to cough up after this draft. Time for the next chapter.

I just wonder what the plan is going forward. Okay, you let Westbrook expire. Now we're back to Lebron/AD. And then it's another "here's 12 ALL NEW journeymen" to surround them with?

Post-Lebron (and AD?) what is the plan for this organization? You've shown you can't stand organic growth. Can't stand the pain of a few down years. The only concept of team-building you know is chase superstars. How are you convincing them to come here? They were able to promise Lebron they'd get another star and use the trove of assets they had on hand to get it done. There is now no trove. You then showed you won't REALLY do whatever it takes to help a star win now because you have an upper limit of future picks and you don't want to cross the repeater tax.

I suppose i get the short term vision of hanging onto picks and letting Russ expire, but you've basically shot yourself in the foot going forward. The post-Jim/Jeanie Buss philosophy was supposed to be: we get stars and do what it takes to help them win. And now you're announcing you don't do that. So why are stars coming to a team that

1) doesn't know how to build around you in free agency
2) is unwilling to outspend other teams
3) is unwilling to trade too many future picks.
4) will use their media organs to blame you for their failures

If you think this is two firsts for Buddy and Myles to make the play-in, you're being shortsighted. It's for the future of the organization.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Wish there was a way we can get Buddy/Turner for Russ/1 1st/1 2nd rounder

Then flip Nunn/Bev/1st for Bogdan.

Dennis/Reaves
Buddy/Lonnie/TBJ
LeBron/Bogdan/JTA
AD/Weyen/Ryan
Myles/TB/DJ
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Stop trying to give up picks. Time to get rid of anyone that can get us some assets.

*crickets*
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
defense wrote:
Stop trying to give up picks. Time to get rid of anyone that can get us some assets.

*crickets*

What can the Lakers get for Reaves?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject:

We screwed

It appears management will go down with this sinking ship. Prepare for 2 more years of Leretirement.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 714, 715, 716 ... 2569, 2570, 2571  Next
Page 715 of 2571
Jump to: