127 killed, Several Injured In Stampede At Football Match After Riot In Indonesia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: 127 killed, Several Injured In Stampede At Football Match After Riot In Indonesia

Quote:
Indonesian soccer match stampede leaves more than 120 dead

Panic at an Indonesian soccer match after police fired tear gas to stop brawls left 129 dead, mostly trampled to death, police said Sunday.

Several fights between supporters of the two rival soccer teams were reported inside the Kanjuruhan Stadium in East Java province's Malang city after the Indonesian Premier League game ended with Persebaya Surabaya beating Arema Malang 3-2.

The brawls that broke out just after the game ended late night Saturday prompted riot police to fire tear gas, which caused panic among supporters, said East Java Police Chief Nico Afinta.

Hundreds of people ran to an exit gate in an effort to avoid the tear gas. Some suffocated in the chaos and others were trampled, killing 34 almost instantly.

More than 300 were rushed to nearby hospitals to treat injuries but many died on the way and during treatment, Afinta said.

He said the death toll is likely still increasing, since many of about 180 injured victims' conditions were deteriorating.

The Indonesian top league, BRI Liga 1, has suspended games for a week following the match, and an investigation had been launched, the Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI) said.

There have been previous outbreaks of trouble at matches in Indonesia, with a strong rivalry between clubs sometimes leading to violence among supporters.

Among global stadium disasters, 97 Liverpool supporters were crushed to death in Britain in April 1989, when an overcrowded and fenced-in enclosure collapsed at the Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield.

Indonesia is to host the FIFA under-20 World Cup in May and June next year. They are also one of three countries bidding to stage next year's Asian Cup, the continent's equivalent of the Euros, after China pulled out as hosts.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/4759039/indonesian-soccer-match-riot-leaves-more-than-120-dead

Video:

aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Wow that is terrible news. It's not even dozen people but 129 and possibly more. Damn.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Wow that is terrible news. It's not even dozen people but 129 and possibly more. Damn.

I would never imagine this is possible, ever
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Yeah me too. you hear about a person or two getting injured at concert or some large gathering but this is just insane.

But then again I bet when people over there hear about mass shootings here they probably say the same thing.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Horrible preparation
FIFA won't accept (bleep) like this hopefully

RIP to All
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Yeah me too. you hear about a person or two getting injured at concert or some large gathering but this is just insane.

But then again I bet when people over there hear about mass shootings here they probably say the same thing.

Stampedes happen all the time and usually hundreds of people die. The most notorious one in the USA in recent history was the Station Nightclub fire in 2003 when a 100 people died from being trampled and/or fire injuries.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject:

The worst for my mind and heart to comprehend are stampedes at religious pilgrimages..
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Stampedes happen all the time and usually hundreds of people die. The most notorious one in the USA in recent history was the Station Nightclub fire in 2003 when a 100 people died from being trampled and/or fire injuries.

The Hillsborough one in England was probably one of the most famous. The pictures of people being crushed by the crowd against the fence was sickening. There's a good 30 for 30 on it.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject:

This is so sad
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Attention immediately focused on the police use of tear gas, and witnesses described that police beat them with sticks and shields before shooting canisters directly into the crowds.

The president of FIFA called the deaths at the stadium "a dark day for all involved in football and a tragedy beyond comprehension," while President Joko Widodo ordered an investigation of security procedures. While FIFA has no control over domestic games, it has advised against the use of tear gas at soccer stadiums.

Quote:
"Officers fired tear gas directly at spectators in the stands, forcing us to run toward the exit," he said. "Many victims fell because of shortness of breath and difficulty seeing due to tear gas and were trampled."

He said he climbed the roof of the stands and only came down when the situation calmed down.

Others suffocated and were trampled as hundreds of people ran to the exit to avoid the tear gas. In the chaos, 34 died at the stadium, including two officers, and some reports include children among the casualties.

Quote:
"The stadium turned into a smoke-filled battleground when police fired tear gas," said a spectator identified only as Rizky, who came with his cousin to watch the game.

"I felt hot and stinging in my eyes, I couldn't see clearly while my head was dizzy and everything went dark. ... I passed out," he said. He said that when he woke up, he was already in the emergency room. He said his cousin died because of head injuries.

Quote:
He said tear gas should only be used to disperse crowds when widespread violence has occurred and when other methods have failed. People must be warned that tear gas will be used and allowed to disperse, he said.

"No one should lose their lives at a football match," Hamid said.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/4759039/indonesian-soccer-match-riot-leaves-more-than-120-dead
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject:

If you’re going to kill someone at a soccer match, it feels appropriate to use your feet…
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Latest report has 174 deaths.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Cocoanut Grove nightclub fire in Boston in 1942 had 492 deaths and they had a mountain of people at the revolving door who tried to climb over the others. They also had a door that got pinned w/ a mountain of bodies because it opened inward. Revolvers didn't have collapsible flaps until that fire made them mandatory. Doors w/ crashbars became more prevalent after that one as well. That's if you wanna assign trampling to the deaths along w/ smoke inhalation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: