The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The Arclight will not be reopening. A devastating loss for the city.

I've been mourning this the last couple of days. Hopefully, a company takes over these theatres and carries on the Arclight tradition and model.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Claire Denis' work from Chocolat (1988) through Nénette et Boni (1996) would mark her as an incredible talent worth watching but her artistic leap to Beau Travail (1999) and beyond is one of the great unexpected gifts of modern cinema. I love No Fear, No Die (1990), and so many filmmakers would count it as their best film if they could have even ever made it.

But nine years later Beau Travail...?

Pure genius.

One of the all time great filmmakers. My favorite film of hers might be the minimalist masterpiece, Friday Night.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rewatched 1917 because some friends hadn't seen it before. Probably a top 5 war movie of all time. It's a cinematic feat.

I really enjoyed it as well; seeing it in theaters was quite the experience.

How do you rate it to To Hell And Back?

I've never seen To Hell and Back. But I'll check out the trailer and see if I like it.

If you want to check out 1917 it's on that Showtime app.

I watched it. I thought To Hell And Back was the better movie. It's an account of Audy Murphy's World War II experiences as a soldier in the U.S. Army

We all have our personal tastes. I tried giving T Hell and Back a shot after your recommendation. But it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Fair enough. 👌🏾 Did you watch the movie or just the trailer?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

There needs to be more art about rich people's ennui to piss off the leftists. Good god.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject:

If 1917 is a top five war film to you, there are some great movies you're missing out on.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject:

My most Holy Grail DVDs bought 15+ years ago (that need restorations and Blu releases):

Chingu
Shall We Dance?
Goodbye South, Goodbye
Millennium Mambo
The River
The Hole
Chungyang (2000)
Chi-Hwa-Son
Ken Park

Also, there's nothing wrong with Kids getting the 4K treatment.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject:

If 1917 is a top five war film to you, there are some great movies you're missing out on.

Like, Trial on the Road is one of the five greatest war films ever made. Have you seen it?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Rewatched 1917 because some friends hadn't seen it before. Probably a top 5 war movie of all time. It's a cinematic feat.

I've never seen To Hell and Back. But I'll check out the trailer and see if I like it.

I watched it. I thought To Hell And Back was the better movie. It's an account of Audy Murphy's World War II experiences as a soldier in the U.S. Army

We all have our personal tastes. I tried giving T Hell and Back a shot after your recommendation. But it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I watched the movie. I fast forwarded through some slow bits though. I'd love to see a remake. It's quite an accomplishment for a movie made in 1955.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I watched the movie. I fast forwarded through some slow bits though. I'd love to see a remake. It's quite an accomplishment for a movie made in 1955.

. I've searched all over, looking for a forum that's airing To Hell And Back. Netflix has it on a waiting list. So does Prime video. Where did you watch it?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Saw Nobody. A movie where Ben Odenkirk plays John Wick. It's getting great reviews online. I found the writing too bad to look past, even by "turn off your brain and enjoy" action movie standards.

But I wasn't the target audience to be fair. It's a fantasy flick for middle age out of shape men who don't get no respect from nobody.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject:

I do think 1917 is firmly in the Top 5 war movies directed by Sam Mendes in 2019.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Saw Nobody. A movie where Ben Odenkirk plays John Wick. It's getting great reviews online. I found the writing too bad to look past, even by "turn off your brain and enjoy" action movie standards.

But I wasn't the target audience to be fair. It's a fantasy flick for middle age out of shape men who don't get no respect from nobody.

And the strange legion of otherwise normal people who think Odenkirk is a watchable actor.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

I do think 1917 is firmly in the Top 5 war movies directed by Sam Mendes in 2019.

I’d venture top 2.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Like, Trial on the Road is one of the five greatest war films ever made. Have you seen it?

Found a link for it on youtube of all places. I'll check it out. But I have my doubts it'll match up to the ambitious filmmaking in 1917.
I mean it's a 1970s Russian movie, it's not a fair fight. I can't even find a budget for it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Found a link for it on youtube of all places. I'll check it out. But I have my doubts it'll match up to the ambitious filmmaking in 1917.
I mean it's a 1970s Russian movie, it's not a fair fight. I can't even find a budget for it.

I think perhaps the idea that questionable budget and being made in Russia are demerits indicates a different idea of great.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think perhaps the idea that questionable budget and being made in Russia are demerits indicates a different idea of great.

I'll give it a shot. And I'll keep an open mind.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I’m guessing you have somewhat of a recency bias, and that will sort out over time.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

watched bullit for the first time. I recommend it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I’m guessing you have somewhat of a recency bias, and that will sort out over time.

Probably. Only thing I watched from the mid 1950s before Jo recommended To Hell and Back was the old Disney Zorro show. Which I'll always love.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:57 pm; edited 5 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

NOBODY Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul) plays a real bad ass. Christopher Lloyd has a small part that will surprise you.

EDIT: Just noticed kikanga posted Nobody as a film to watch. I agree. Bob Odenkirk stepped out of Saul Goodman into Hutch Mansell in a John Wick mode.The opening scene hid the real Hutch. I like the movie.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

Watched Uptown Saturday Night last night. all star Black cast . Cyril Poitier is the brother the films director Sydney Poitier. IMO other than that cast the film was a bust.

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Had some free time on my hands last night before crashing, and decided to give this a watch. I thoroughly enjoyed it man, thanks for the rec.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

In no particular order top 10 Westerns:

1) Once Upon A Time In The West
2) Shane
3)Rio Bravo
4) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
5)The Good The Bad and the Ugly
6) True Grit 1969 (Remake 2010 should be deleted. It was the worst remake I've ever seen.)
7) The Magnificent Seven
8) Blazing Saddles
9) The Shootist
10) Buck and the Preacher

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject:

Paging NPZ...Paging NPZ...NPA, please report to the film thread:

The Gambler

The movie: The Gambler
The scene: James Caan in the Bathtub
The request: game tape of the final minutes of the Lakers Seattle game Caan listens to on the radio (almost positive it's that one)
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

While we’re on the topic of war films, what are some good/the best Vietnam war films? I’ve seen Apocalypse Now (final cut) and Da 5 Bloods. What other ones are must watch? And should I watch a different cut of AN?

Regarding 1917, I really like it and it’s one that I’m sure I’ll rewatch plenty because it *looks* great and is an enjoyable watch. But I understand a war movie— especially a WW1 movie— probably shouldn’t be “enjoyable”.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 106 of 189
Jump to: