SPL Game 7 LAL 132 WAS 123
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Not wanting to take on 2 HS projects doesn't equate to being afraid to do that. There's only so young a team will accept being if they plan on having any kind of success sooner rather than later. I completely understand not taking Blatch - and I wouldn't have taken him at 17, either.

There are plenty of players I wanted instead of Wafer, but I don't mind the gamble with a 2nd round pick. If Blatch transfers his play from SPL to the regular season, he will have been a steal, but I'm not going to tab the Lakers for cowards just because they didn't take him in the 2nd round. Fear had nothing to do with it.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:

Ric Bucher: (4:41 PM ET ) I predict Bynum will be somewhere between Shaq and the Kandi Man.
All kidding aside, Bynum has some promise. I see a more athletic Magloire. I wouldn't worry about him following in Kandi's footsteps -- he's with a better organization and better pros around him. Kandi came into the league with no one to teach him how to be a pro and developed some bad habits.

I wonder if he remembers that Kandi had Kareem as a teacher, too.
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Not wanting to take on 2 HS projects doesn't equate to being afraid to do that. There's only so young a team will accept being if they plan on having any kind of success sooner rather than later. I completely understand not taking Blatch - and I wouldn't have taken him at 17, either.

There are plenty of players I wanted instead of Wafer, but I don't mind the gamble with a 2nd round pick. If Blatch transfers his play from SPL to the regular season, he will have been a steal, but I'm not going to tab the Lakers for cowards just because they didn't take him in the 2nd round. Fear had nothing to do with it.

It really doesn't matter now, but that's the wrong mindset to have. If you can take on one project, then you can take on two. You cannot limit yourself to any philosophy such as we won't take a high schooler, unless he's an absolute can't miss, and if we're going to take one, then no way we're going to take two, etc.
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I wonder if he remembers that Kandi had Kareem as a teacher, too.

Briefly, and then he quit saying Kandi wouldn't listen to him and wasn't willing to learn :)

AL.
1987_Lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

high scoring game
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

lakers399 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

It really doesn't matter now, but that's the wrong mindset to have. If you can take on one project, then you can take on two. You cannot limit yourself to any philosophy such as we won't take a high schooler, unless he's an absolute can't miss, and if we're going to take one, then no way we're going to take two, etc.

It's not merely about "projects", it's about drafting multiple HS projects - and it is a factor. Even 1 year of college can give you a little more preparation for the NBA. Obviously, the Lakers weren't deterred by the idea of having several projects even after Andrew, because they drafted Wafer in the 2nd round and we have several other projects on the team, as well.

My point really is that the Lakers didn't pass on Blatch because they were "afraid". The suggestion is silly given the fact they we had just traded Shaquille O'Neal and drafted a 17 yr. old high school kid with less than 2 yrs. of organized basketball experience.
Encehated3
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject:

[DELETED]
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: