LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 11/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Fisher seems to be really struggling on the season.

He is averaging 7 shots a game, only 5 ppg from those shots at 31.4 shooting 21.4 from beyond the arc. Those are very poor numbers.

His backups aren't doing any better - Brown and Farmar averaging 3.6 and 3.8 respectively. Farmar's shooting 35%. Brown is shooting the ball better - but his play the last few games has been less than ok.

Hopefully our PG play improves. We're not even getting good SG play from them. That was the one area you could bank on Fish - the shooting. Farmar and Brown need to step up too.

Time to put Brown in the starting lineup IMO... you do it now so that by the time the end of the season comes around, we've adjusted. It will harm this team if Phil ends up making the change too late in the season.

That said, do I think Phil makes the change? No, he's stubborn like that.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
However, in OT, it seemed like no one could grab a defensive rebound.

They were pretty flat-footed out there late. I think the back-to-back OT situation was starting to affect a couple of them. Although LO looked flat-footed most of the game.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Time to put Brown in the starting lineup IMO... you do it now so that by the time the end of the season comes around, we've adjusted. It will harm this team if Phil ends up making the change too late in the season.

I'd still wait until we get Pau/Artest some time in the mix. We've got to get more fluidity in the triangle with Artest and I think not changing things up would help that.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject:

The biggest problem for Fish is playing too many minutes because the bench is screwing up. Bring Pau back, put LO back as a 6th man and see if the bench stabilizes. If so, then great, if not then try Jordan or Shannon in Fish's place. With LO and Fish off the bench, perhaps that will settle things down. If Jordan can't take a hint with vets like Artest, Kobe, and Pau in his ear, then he never will.
StuLantz#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject:

I'm genuinely curious--what if we had replaced Fisher with Brown in all those sequences in the second half. Would Brown had stopped Brooks from getting to the hole? Would he have effectively helped defend that high pick and roll we literally saw every single play at the end that led to all those Laker defensive breakdowns and Rocket layups? I wonder what would have happened. Brooks actually didn't shoot well, and credit to Fisher for the game ending strip, but obviously the rotation issues started at the 1. Fisher has shown his value time and again, he's just incorrectly utilized. I'm still wondering though if Brown would have stopped all those defensive mishaps from happening.

And man, what the hell was wrong with the rebounding yesterday--seemed like they had never ending second and third chance points. Can't believe they still ended up winning, but that's all that matters as long as they can patch up whatever it is that's not working.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I'd still wait until we get Pau/Artest some time in the mix. We've got to get more fluidity in the triangle with Artest and I think not changing things up would help that.

That's another reason why I'd do it now... don't want to screw up the continuity once we've found it and force our players, especially Ron, to adjust even more.

I also think that putting Fisher with the second unit could help to stabilize it, especially if we used him at SG next to Farmar (as opposed to PG).

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Burgundy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I also think that putting Fisher with the second unit could help to stabilize it, especially if we used him at SG next to Farmar (as opposed to PG).

It's definitely an interesting idea - and I think that's probably the move down the road. My only issue is Fish is not going to have any value with the second unit. He is, and always has been, a very limited player athletically, and if we're being honest, even from a skills perspective.

What he is excellent at, is filling in the gaps and not making mistakes (outside of the occasional PUJIT). I think Shannon Brown could absolutely fill that role down the road, and be better at it, but right now, Fish still has value. He was excellent on D against Brooks and on offense, he made sure the ball went to the right people and didn't force any bad shots.

The second unit needs a true playmaker (the role Farmar is supposed to be filling). Fish isn't a play-maker, he's a smart role player whose talents would be wasted on that second unit.

The problem is the second unit collectively plays incredibly dumb. Not saying they are all dumb players - but there are most certainly some dumb players on that second unit who bring the group's collective IQ down.

That's why having Lamar on that second unit is so important - not only is he a threat to score, but 90% of the time he sets up guys for good shots.

Josh Powell has shown himself to be an excellent spot-up shooter. Yet, none of the second unit guys put him in position to spot up. Powell needs guys who will run pick and pops with him, but only Kobe seems to be aware enough to do this.

Mbenga is a terrible shooter who literally goes up with it every time he touches the ball. He shouldn't receive a pass on offense unless he is right next to the basket. Yet guys like Farmar and Sasha insist on dumping it into him in the high post.

Walton is an excellent passer, who knows how to get the ball to the correct spots in the triangle - but none of the guys in the second unit are going to the correct spots, so he's left with no one to pass to, so he ends up taking 18 footers off the dribble, which he will miss 90% of the time. It's like no one in the second unit knows how to cut to the basket.

Shannon Brown has shown that most of the time, if surrounded by the right players, he will make good choices and be a positive contributer on offense. Unfortunately, on the second unit, he is left trying to make plays off the bounce, which isn't necessarily his strong suit because he's a very average ball-handler. Shannon needs to receive kick-outs where he can spot up, or get a pass while cutting to the basket so he can finish around the rim (which he is, obviously, excellent at).

I'm not going to give a section to Farmar or Sasha because honestly, both of them are lost causes. They're both below replacement level players who continuously take things off the table when they play.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Right now, we're often able to get two impact players on the second unit rotations. When Pau comes back, Phil can run three at times. Always one of Pau or Bynum and then you've got the mix of playmaker types in LO, Artest and Kobe to play with. I think that will help Shannon a ton and if you decided to start bringing DFish off the bench at some point, that should help him from not doing too much that he can't do.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject:

DB - great job as always. Hey, maybe you can write on your blackberry/iPhone your Friday report - LOL!

Re: LO - when I watched the first part of the game, I was wondering if LO was even in the game?!?! Does RonRon's unfamiliarity with Tri-Offense lulls LO to sleep where he is not moving/cutting within the offensive schemes?!?! Nights with Khloe is filling his head with the previous night's "adventures" (ahem - will there be an "underground" video later on this season, maybe with RonRon - OMG!) rather than the play on the court?!?!

Re: Farmar - he's not effective against quick guards like Brooks, has "good" games cuz he is not making good decisions, missing shots and get posted up by bigger guards - one wonders the reason why he deserves to have his contract extended?!?! If Farmar performs the same way throughout this season, the Lakers can bring him back at a lower salary. If he does well, the Lakers will match any offer. Farmar, proved to us how much money you deserve. Note: With AI playing (hmm, playing or griping) for Memphis, it will be interesting to see if Farmar can stay in front of a slower AI cuz he couldn't stay with him when he was in his prime.

Re: Sasha - is he still on the team?

Re: Bynum - what is the latest word on his shoulder injury? If he can't play, one would assume that DJ would start and LO or Powell would back him up in the upcoming Memphis game since Pau will not be ready for that game?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject:

Might be Mbenga time next game...and loads of small ball. LO is going to have to pick it up and Artest will need to get over the home court jitters.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject:

Also, FYI, my schedule for tomorrow has been changed. Father/son outing will be on Saturday. So I should have the Thoughts and Ratings done around the usual time.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Might be Mbenga time next game...and loads of small ball. LO is going to have to pick it up and Artest will need to get over the home court jitters.
I thought LO took the last game off since he didn't do anything, ironically less than DFish "triple donut" - LOL!

Since Marc Gasol outweighs LO by a million pounds, maybe Bynum can learn by watching these two play each other?

Would this be a good opportunity to see if the Lakers' press will work since Gasol is slow afoot and they have explosive but relatively inexperience guards that might not react well to strategically placed full-court pressure. If a lineup of LO, Artest, Kobe, Brown and Farmar on the court - they could switch everybody (except Farmar) and their is good length and quickness with all the players. Hmm, just a thought.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject:

The only reason why Trevor Ariza became a starter last year was because Luke took one for the team and removed himself as a starter. It wasn't like Phil had this moment of clarity. The same will go for Dfish. Unless Derek decides to remove himself it's not gonna happen. And quite frankly, I don't see DFish volunteering to not start anymore.

And it looks like we'll be mbanging with Mbenga tonight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: