WARRIORS -at- LAKERS - 10/20 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StuLantz#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
pokoy wrote:
ocho wrote:
Ron looks to be playing fabulously in the offense. He's playing within it and not trying to take over at all which is a giant "uh-oh" for the rest of the league. He does look awfully slow footed though. He easily got beat on a loose ball last night and looked like he was running in molasses. Loved him running to the post last night, calling for the ball, waiting for the collapse and kicking it out to Kobe for a J. That's something Trev couldn't do. He's really using the pre-season to showcase his passing ability.

I'm more concerned about his defense though... People keep talking about him looking slow-footed. Do you guys think he'll be able to help us against the guys we got him for, like LBJ and Melo? Because you're going to have to be quick-footed to keep up with them.

I think the names usually mentioned (LBJ/Melo/Pierce) will be good matchups for Ron. The bad matchups will be the guys who use their speed more than their strength. I think this is why Ron had trouble with Brandon Roy. He looks slow for sure, but those quicker players can be guarded by 1st Team All Defense Kobe Bryant

Yeah, Kobe and Roy are much more speed and quickness oriented, guys like Lebron/Pierce/Anthony mix in a lot of strength and weight into their game--something Artest is more apt to effectively counter. Personally, I'm wondering how he'd do against Ginbobili. I know he's given Ginobili problems in the past, I just haven't seen him up against him recently, but I figure he at the least nullifys any improvements the Spurs made by adding Jefferson. But as far as Portland is concerned, as much as people talk about whether Artest can keep up with Roy, I just want to seem him slow down Outlaw. I guess people forget that Outlaw, an average player at best, turns into an unguardable superstar against us and is a large reason they've had a lot of success against LA.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
ocho wrote:
Ron looks to be playing fabulously in the offense. He's playing within it and not trying to take over at all which is a giant "uh-oh" for the rest of the league. He does look awfully slow footed though. He easily got beat on a loose ball last night and looked like he was running in molasses. Loved him running to the post last night, calling for the ball, waiting for the collapse and kicking it out to Kobe for a J. That's something Trev couldn't do. He's really using the pre-season to showcase his passing ability.

I'm more concerned about his defense though... People keep talking about him looking slow-footed. Do you guys think he'll be able to help us against the guys we got him for, like LBJ and Melo? Because you're going to have to be quick-footed to keep up with them.

Actually Melo is not that quick-footed. In times past, Luke Walton has been one of our better defenders on him. I'm pretty sure Artest is better than that. LBJ also relies on strength more than quickness but he is quicker than Melo so he'll be a harder match-up.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject:

StuLantz#1 wrote:
ocho wrote:
pokoy wrote:
ocho wrote:

I think the names usually mentioned (LBJ/Melo/Pierce) will be good matchups for Ron. The bad matchups will be the guys who use their speed more than their strength. I think this is why Ron had trouble with Brandon Roy. He looks slow for sure, but those quicker players can be guarded by 1st Team All Defense Kobe Bryant

Yeah, Kobe and Roy are much more speed and quickness oriented, guys like Lebron/Pierce/Anthony mix in a lot of strength and weight into their game--something Artest is more apt to effectively counter. Personally, I'm wondering how he'd do against Ginbobili. I know he's given Ginobili problems in the past, I just haven't seen him up against him recently, but I figure he at the least nullifys any improvements the Spurs made by adding Jefferson. But as far as Portland is concerned, as much as people talk about whether Artest can keep up with Roy, I just want to seem him slow down Outlaw. I guess people forget that Outlaw, an average player at best, turns into an unguardable superstar against us and is a large reason they've had a lot of success against LA.

I've noticed this with Outlaw as well. He is freakish athletic, but not a consistent all-around threat night in and night out, unless the Lakers are in the Rose Garden, then he's superhuman. He'll be a challenge for Artest as long as he's in video game boss mode and hitting from way outside. That's OK b/c he's gotta guard somebody too.

As for Ginobili; I can't help but think he's lost a step, perhaps a pretty long step at that. He's a great competitor but I just don't picture him recapturing the form he had a few years ago. I think Ron will continue to give Ginobili problems.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject:

Is there anything better than seeing our Kobe, and I do mean 'our' in times like these, torch up some loudmouth like S. Jackson? Owed for life. Next...

that would be Boston's PP by the way.... in the finals please...
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject:

DzLaker wrote:
pokoy wrote:
ocho wrote:

Actually Melo is not that quick-footed. In times past, Luke Walton has been one of our better defenders on him. I'm pretty sure Artest is better than that. LBJ also relies on strength more than quickness but he is quicker than Melo so he'll be a harder match-up.

Yeah Melo isn't quick footed he just happens to have really good footwork to go along with his size. If he gets a shoulder by his defender then they are in trouble. This makes his jab step so damn tough to defend.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
DB, how do you think Artest is doing defensively so far?

He did decently against Maggette and Griffin, but I think the real test is this next one against Denver.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:

IMO, Artest looks slower on offense than he does on defense. Artest doesn't have a lightning quick first step, but he doesn't need it on offense due to his strength.

I agree. He just overpowers people on offense on those drives. It's not speed, it's just getting someone on his hip and keeping them there as he lumbers toward the basket.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject:

That has been his m.o. for a while now. It's really nothing new.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject:

He looks a lot faster when he's out of control. Thankfully, we haven't seen that yet.
Spirit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WARRIORS -at- LAKERS - 10/20 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

Farmar Second Half: He swatted Ellis's drive off him and out of bounds, but the Warriors were still given the possession.

DB: I believe it was Brown, from the backside, who actually swatted Ellis on the drive to the hoop. The ball was already out of Ellis' hands when Farmer entered the picture and cleaned up, knocking the ball out of bounds.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: