NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 5/19 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject:

25th! Thanks DB
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Thanks DB.

That was a rather epic tale of redemption for both Fish and Lamar.

The game was unnecessarily close, and it was difficult to pinpoint whether the problem was mental or physical fatigue.

The key for the next game is playing better defense (again), and getting the front court involved more on the offense. Bynum's timing is still awful, and perhaps his defensive recognition as well as he's rotating way too slowly. Yet unlike Pau, he at least was fighting for position in the low post. It was discouraging to see Pau simply set screens 25 feet from the basket, and then drift to the safety of the high post. He's someone who needs touches in the low post EARLY in the game, as it seems he's more willing to fight in the low post once he takes a few shots and lands a few blows. I will even go so far as to say that his missed free throws may have been a result of Pau being in a rhythm.

The Lakers' rotation on defense was atrocious. Nene should not be that open that often.

I, too, noticed that Pau was not working to post up much. His moves should be good enough to get some points when he gets the ball, but when did he ever get the ball?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
patmcfar8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Suddenly, your iPhone repeats the same bells that rang through these hills. Someone has installed an app called "Four Horsemen." Up pops a message from DancingBarry:

Ha, made me laugh. I want that app! As always, awesome work DB. You're truly an insanely loyal and talented fan!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 5/19 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

Lamar -- -- Some sloppy plays in the fourth quarter costing the Lakers possessions on both ends...but Lamar came up with a huge play that might go forgotten. With under a minute left, he went to the floor for a loose ball and tied up Andersen. He then won the jumpball against him. That's getting a possession back. Huge play, great effort, huge possession.

You mean the play where Ariza got a rebound, was run into by Martin without a call, lost the ball that was scooped up by Odom and Andersen?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject:

Take that, Jerry West. No offense to the Logo, but Kobe's still the man.

Everything you could want out of a superstar, Kobe provided last night. Explosive offense, hard-nosed defense, key rebounds, timely assists - what more can he do? Oh, yeah, not let the team lose.

Fish had a nice bounceback game. 0-6, then the clutch 3 to close the half really energized him to a 5-7 finish. As an added bonus, he actually made 2, count 'em 2, layups!

Pau battled all night despite not getting the ball much. Bynum is still feeling his way around. He doesn't seem to adjust very quickly.

LO, like Pau, battled. He suffered a couple of Lamar moments, but I appreciate how he tries to redeem himself by doing the small things. First, tying up Birdman and winning the tip. Then, providing the length to force Carter to lob over him to allow Ariza's crucial steal. He had a couple of iso's against KMart who was clearly pushing LO to the right. LO took the bait and clanked difficult shots. If he would take the midrange shot going right (a natural, shoulders-already-squared move for a lefty), he'd get better quality shots.

Ariza had a rough night with Melo. Melo was very impressive. Probably the best game I've seen him play on both ends. Ariza came up big when it mattered with the 3-ball and the big steal.

If the Lakers can win game 2, they'll put a serious dent in the Nug's psyche. 11 straight playoff losses and an 0-2 hole will cause some despiration.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:

Fish had a nice bounceback game. 0-6, then the clutch 3 to close the half really energized him to a 5-7 finish. As an added bonus, he actually made 2, count 'em 2, layups!

INCONCEIVABLE!!!!!!!!!!

!...
kobe_fan4life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject:

How does everyone feel about LO and Fish going out to Dinner with Melo and his fiance after tha game. I saw the pics of them at Katsuya in LA after the game.

I know their all cool and everything, but i guess i just want the pure hatred during the series
lakerfn4lfe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject:

Andrew's foul problem on defense seems to have a lot to do with his footwork. Earlier in the year (after many late sessions with Cap), he was improving his footwork and staying in games longer. I don't know if the problem is that he forgot how to move his feet, or if the injury has slowed his movement so that he can't get there in time.

It has been a month since he came back, and he should have it down by now. Maybe Kareem and Rambis need to take him out behind the woodshed and remind him how to play the game defensively.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject:

thanks DB

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject:

Great write-up!

George Karl's initial 5 to 6 seconds before speaking at his post-game interview spoke volumes.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject:

kobe_fan4life wrote:
How does everyone feel about LO and Fish going out to Dinner with Melo and his fiance after tha game. I saw the pics of them at Katsuya in LA after the game.

I know their all cool and everything, but i guess i just want the pure hatred during the series

More to life than basketball.

!...
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject:

im very proud of our team

-kobe "did work" last night. i heard raja on jim rome today say when the game is on the line he will take kobe over lebron 100 times out of 100. he also said lebron doesnt have the same killer instinct.
-trev made up for being burned by melo with a key 3 and "the steal"
-props to d-fish for thos 2 huge 3's in the corner
-when is LO gonna show up? too many misses and boneheaded plays lately (not getting the ball across, the turnover after he blocked melo). im not sure why they asked him to the podium and not trevor. what was up with that vest?
-d-fish must know the situation and not foul billups on purpose when we are in the penalty. (when kobe got the T)
-i hope kobe is right about not getting another T
-i expect a huge game from pau next game
-what i like about luke is if he makes a blunder, he seems to make up for it
-poor drew couldnt stay out of foul trouble. i expect him to bounce back too
-props to phil for leaving kobe in, calling timeouts, and fouling at the end
-what about putting LO on melo to bang with him? (sometimes)

Last edited by Mr. EiGhTy-OnE on Wed May 20, 2009 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
The Lakers' rotation on defense was atrocious. Nene should not be that open that often.

Essentially, most of the game we played the nuggets bigs as if they would take midrange jumpshots like a Scola or Landry rather than drive/cut to the rim as Nene and Anderson tend to do. It's a matter of realizing this is a different team and making adjustments to a new series. We didn't have enough time to do it for game 1, we will for game 2.

As for Pau getting touches - the keys are two-fold:

1. Our spacing absolutely sucked. Too often we either congest the strongside (i.e. we have 3 players on the strongside instead of 2) or we use a non-shooter (see LO or Ariza) to feed the post. A huge problem is that Fisher is absolutely attrocious at getting the ball into our post guys, so even though the defense respects him as a shooter, he either can't or won't get the ball into the post the majority of the time. We also really rarely use Kobe on the strongside as the post feeder... we see it sometimes, but never as much as we used to with Kobe/Shaq.

2. Pau and Bynum need to be used correctly. Whoever Martin or Anderson is guarding is the guy who needs to get the ball in the post. Martin/Anderson aren;'t tall enough or strong enough to prevent Pau or Bynum from getting good post position and good shots over them. They key though is patience and the ability of Pau/Bynum to work to get good position in front of their defenders as both Martin/Anderson have been trying to front Bynum/Pau in order to deny a post entry pass. Secondly, we need to take a different approach if Nene is the defender. We're fine if its Nene on Bynum, but if its Nene on Pau, Nene can push Pau out of position which means that when Nene is involved we need to get Pau on the move (in other words, we need to use Pau on screen/rolls and off motion sets).

We can slightly improve with #1, but that's been a problem all year. We can vastly improve with #2 because that's a scheming/strategy issue that most likely had to do with the short turnover from the last series.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject:

That was just a great playoff win. The Lakers absorbed Denver's best shots at the outset of the game and just ground it out. The Lakers had lots of room for improvement -- Phil said the other players were hesitant. We'll get more out of Gasol, Odom, Bynum and Ariza. They might get more out of JR Smith and their bench. As far as Kobe's energy level, I think he's got 7 more game winners in him.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Thanks DB.

That was a rather epic tale of redemption for both Fish and Lamar.

The game was unnecessarily close, and it was difficult to pinpoint whether the problem was mental or physical fatigue.

The key for the next game is playing better defense (again), and getting the front court involved more on the offense. Bynum's timing is still awful, and perhaps his defensive recognition as well as he's rotating way too slowly. Yet unlike Pau, he at least was fighting for position in the low post. It was discouraging to see Pau simply set screens 25 feet from the basket, and then drift to the safety of the high post. He's someone who needs touches in the low post EARLY in the game, as it seems he's more willing to fight in the low post once he takes a few shots and lands a few blows. I will even go so far as to say that his missed free throws may have been a result of Pau being in a rhythm.

Good post.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 5/19 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

encina1 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Lamar -- -- Some sloppy plays in the fourth quarter costing the Lakers possessions on both ends...but Lamar came up with a huge play that might go forgotten. With under a minute left, he went to the floor for a loose ball and tied up Andersen. He then won the jumpball against him. That's getting a possession back. Huge play, great effort, huge possession.

You mean the play where Ariza got a rebound, was run into by Martin without a call, lost the ball that was scooped up by Odom and Andersen?

Yeah, that was ridiculous. Ariza had it in his hands until he got body checked. Only play more ridiculous might have been Farmar getting drilled on the perimeter jumper with no call.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Essentially, most of the game we played the nuggets bigs as if they would take midrange jumpshots like a Scola or Landry rather than drive/cut to the rim as Nene and Anderson tend to do. It's a matter of realizing this is a different team and making adjustments to a new series. We didn't have enough time to do it for game 1, we will for game 2.

As for Pau getting touches - the keys are two-fold:

1. Our spacing absolutely sucked. Too often we either congest the strongside (i.e. we have 3 players on the strongside instead of 2) or we use a non-shooter (see LO or Ariza) to feed the post. A huge problem is that Fisher is absolutely attrocious at getting the ball into our post guys, so even though the defense respects him as a shooter, he either can't or won't get the ball into the post the majority of the time. We also really rarely use Kobe on the strongside as the post feeder... we see it sometimes, but never as much as we used to with Kobe/Shaq.

2. Pau and Bynum need to be used correctly. Whoever Martin or Anderson is guarding is the guy who needs to get the ball in the post. Martin/Anderson aren;'t tall enough or strong enough to prevent Pau or Bynum from getting good post position and good shots over them. They key though is patience and the ability of Pau/Bynum to work to get good position in front of their defenders as both Martin/Anderson have been trying to front Bynum/Pau in order to deny a post entry pass. Secondly, we need to take a different approach if Nene is the defender. We're fine if its Nene on Bynum, but if its Nene on Pau, Nene can push Pau out of position which means that when Nene is involved we need to get Pau on the move (in other words, we need to use Pau on screen/rolls and off motion sets).

We can slightly improve with #1, but that's been a problem all year. We can vastly improve with #2 because that's a scheming/strategy issue that most likely had to do with the short turnover from the last series.

Agreed 100%, LS:

We dig ourselves into a hole EVERY TIME we come out shooting jumpers instead of feeding the post. I saw K-Mart on Bynum about 8-10 times in the first half, and still somehow, a wack jumper was forced up. I think there's a BIG opportunity out there to get Kenyon Martin in some early foul trouble, which I think would CRIPPLE them defensively: he really sets the tone for them defensively.

As for the scoring from Denver's bigs, Pau especially has to make the adjustment: Nene' scored almost ALL of his points in transition or off of drives to the baskets off of feeds. At the very least, if Pau & Bynum get back on D in transition, they can limit Nene's scoring by at least 50%. IMO, he's not a half-court threat to score consistently.

We have an advantage in the post. We need to milk it for every drop. Period. If we do it right, it's blowout city, as Martin's too small, & Nene & Anderson are both rather undisciplined. And if all three bigs are in foul trouble for Denver, it's a short night.

That said, I thought there may have been some method to the madness, although not the route I would have gone: Melo seemed like he was trying to come out & make a statement, and Kobe wanted to answer. There seemed to be a lot of inefficient post-ups for Kobe last night, at the expense of feeding the big men. But I just don't feel like it has to be all or nothing, though: I'd like to see Kobe have a game where he scores 30+ AND has 7+ assists. Last night could have been one of them: he REPEATEDLY missed Bynum & Gasol for easy opportunities, getting locked into his individual battles with Jones, Carmelo & Smith. Hopefully, Phil can set up some opportunities for Kobe to pass to Gasol or Bynum for easy baskets out of the post.

And, in all fairness, there was poor spacing from everyone in general, but especially Pau & Bynum. When Kobe is in the post, Kobe should be on one side of the paint, with Pau at the top of the key, and Bynum in the post on the weakside, or with Pau & Bynum switching with the high-low game on the other side of the paint/key. Last night, Pau & Bynum often were standing side to side trying to figure out where they should be when Kobe was in the post.

But let there be no doubt: Kobe played a HELLUVA game last night.

And, I don't blame Pau as much as most: he DID grab 14 boards and was a force in terms of blocking shots & getting offensive rebounds. His production as a #2 was about the same as Denver got from Chauncey Billups, and Pau did it with much less rest & preparation. So I'm not mad at Pau. Luke & LO, with the turnovers? That's a different story.

I personally feel like last night's game, in retrospect, was the type of game the Lakers KNEW they would win. They're just the better team. And, I don't want to sound arrogant, but Denver is like your little brother after he's been weightlifting for a couple of months: he may be stronger, but big brother can & will still kick his ass. lol

I don't think Denver's totally broken quite yet. But I do think that Game 1 was Denver's hardest & toughest effort of the series. On the other hand, Denver hasn't seen the Lakers' biggest & baddest effort, which may come in Game 2. And, to go home down 0-2 (which Denver WILL), after having a little overconfidence, may just do them in.

As Game 1 was the battle of the #1 options, Game 2 will be the battle of the #2 options: Gasol & Billups: BOTH will have big games. The Lakers will adjust to Carmelo Anthony, & he won't see 39 points again, nor do the damage under the boards that he did. Likewise, Kobe will play the facilitator role a bit more. The Lakers make the adjustment, feed the bigs, & get Denver's bigs in foul trouble, and win big (for the playoffs, at least) Lakers win by 8 or more, Denver's biggest loss of the playoffs, and Denver goes home with their confidence severely damaged.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again DB!!
BornAndBredLakersFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: