JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 4/27 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:
Bynum -- -- Another limited-minute game from Bynum. Phil used him as backup C to Pau and kept it to that. "He didn't catch up to the speed of the game," Phil said. He mentioned the Jazz went right at him in this series because of that. Bynum hasn't been going after that low post position, especially early in offense. That's the most effective part of his game, and he needs to get back to it. Tonight, he was typically 9-10 feet away from the hoop.

That's what irked me last night. While his timing is understandably off, his failure to fight for low post position was pretty uninspiring. He has a size and relative health advantage over the Jazz defenders, yet he contented himself by staying 10 feet from the basket. I don't doubt that his teammates were looking to get him involved, but they probably didn't feel justified at feeding him the ball that far from the basket.

oh my damn i was just going to quote DB and comment the same... dang Drew! this was the series where your height/length was the advantage and he seemingly refused to get position down low...
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 4/27 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:

It's as if some sort of group hypnosis takes over and the effort is no longer there.

It's kind of like Group A.D.D.

I think on some levels it has to do with leadership issues. The vets play with a little too much youthful joie de vie and the coaching staff let's it ride too much.

There's medication for that.

Somebody write a perscription. A big perscription.

Is there a doctor in the house?

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Burgundy wrote:
Here's why the Lakers gave up that 22 pt lead:

Phil trotted out a line-up of Bynum, Powell, Kobe, Sasha, & Brown to start the 4th Q, and left them in there for SIX FREAKING MINUTES.

Who, exactly, is the creator in that group? Kobe? At this point, Kobe was in full "showman" mode, which lead to two sloppy turnovers when he over-dribbled trying to create a "wow" shot for himself instead of making the smart play.

No one on the court wanted to play defense, either - Bynum being the biggest offender. At the beginning of the 4th Q, he established low post position on offense, asked for the ball, didn't get it...then decided to stop trying. He allowed Millsap (Utah's back-up 4, who is a good 4-5 inches shorter) to score TEN STRAIGHT POINTS ON HIM. I know Millsap is quicker, but at least give him a hard foul to send a message. GOOD LORD.

Also, Brown, who has been playing with such great energy, relaxed, and Ronnie Price took advantage going right at him.

Sasha decided to continue to try to "create" shots for himself, with zero success.

I know a huge complaint was they should have been going inside to Bynum, but the two times they did, Bynum, literally fumbled the ball away because he wasn't engaged in the game (or Kwame Brown secretly switched hands with him while he wasn't looking).

I hate to say it, but if you switch Luke for Powell (or Sasha), the ball would have moved better on offense, and the lead probably wouldn't have dwindled so rapidly.

Part of this is on Phil - he's had a whole season with these guys. He should know which lineups work, and which don't work. That fourth quarter lineup (unless Kobe went Nova) was not a lineup that was going to work.

Also, the game was "well in hand", and the refs decided to just let it play out. Price and Milsap decided to be uber physical and go for it. Props to them. It took the Lakers a little while to figure out that they could match the physicality without the usual fouls they'd been seeing the whole series. Once they figured that out, game over...
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Burgundy wrote:
Here's why the Lakers gave up that 22 pt lead:

Phil trotted out a line-up of Bynum, Powell, Kobe, Sasha, & Brown to start the 4th Q, and left them in there for SIX FREAKING MINUTES.

Who, exactly, is the creator in that group? Kobe? At this point, Kobe was in full "showman" mode, which lead to two sloppy turnovers when he over-dribbled trying to create a "wow" shot for himself instead of making the smart play.

No one on the court wanted to play defense, either - Bynum being the biggest offender. At the beginning of the 4th Q, he established low post position on offense, asked for the ball, didn't get it...then decided to stop trying. He allowed Millsap (Utah's back-up 4, who is a good 4-5 inches shorter) to score TEN STRAIGHT POINTS ON HIM. I know Millsap is quicker, but at least give him a hard foul to send a message. GOOD LORD.

Also, Brown, who has been playing with such great energy, relaxed, and Ronnie Price took advantage going right at him.

Sasha decided to continue to try to "create" shots for himself, with zero success.

I know a huge complaint was they should have been going inside to Bynum, but the two times they did, Bynum, literally fumbled the ball away because he wasn't engaged in the game (or Kwame Brown secretly switched hands with him while he wasn't looking).

I hate to say it, but if you switch Luke for Powell (or Sasha), the ball would have moved better on offense, and the lead probably wouldn't have dwindled so rapidly.

Part of this is on Phil - he's had a whole season with these guys. He should know which lineups work, and which don't work. That fourth quarter lineup (unless Kobe went Nova) was not a lineup that was going to work.

Also, the game was "well in hand", and the refs decided to just let it play out. Price and Milsap decided to be uber physical and go for it. Props to them. It took the Lakers a little while to figure out that they could match the physicality without the usual fouls they'd been seeing the whole series. Once they figured that out, game over...

I know Utah was probably upset at a lot of the non-calls at the end of the game, but the truth is that the refs let them get away with a lot during their comeback. I'm glad the refs at least remained consistent with regards to the amount of contact they were allowing at the end of the game.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject:

A veeeerrrrrryyyy late THANKS DB!!!

4 Down, 12 To Go!!!

Here's hoping Portland and Houston each leave a major part of themselves on the court tomorrow.

Here's also hoping Drew can do to Yao Ming what Oden did to him last night; that's fight like mad for position, disrupt like a crazy man and render him neutralized in the 4th Quarter. That allows Artest to try to take over, and that allows Houston to fold like a cheap tent in a hurricane.

Assuming Houston wins tomorrow, that is...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: