NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2553, 2554, 2555 ... 2577, 2578, 2579  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 am    Post subject:

No, the Lakers did not just let Julius walk.

Julius’ agent Aaron Mintz forced the Lakers to rescind the qualifying offer, then signed for less money with another team.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Julius’ agent Aaron Mintz forced the Lakers to rescind the qualifying offer, then signed for less money with another team.

I get that, but you can't force a team to rescind a QO, Lakers had every right to say sorry, no, this is too much of an asset to let walk for nothing, and no one would have held it against them.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject:

cital wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

I get that, but you can't force a team to rescind a QO, Lakers had every right to say sorry, no, this is too much of an asset to let walk for nothing, and no one would have held it against them.

They let him walk to open room for Bron eventually. I remember it vividly.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
cital wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

They already had LeBron. Randle was let go for a variety of reasons. The short answer is he was released so we could sign Rondo. The longer answer is we had Kawhi in our sights the following summer and didn’t want to commit salary and years to Randle. Rewinding back to that year, we shopped Randle before the summer to try and get a 1st and couldn’t get one, to give you an idea of his trade value at the time. He got a 2 year $18M deal with New Orleans.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
cital wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

They already had LeBron. Randle was let go for a variety of reasons. The short answer is he was released so we could sign Rondo. The longer answer is we had Kawhi in our sights the following summer and didn’t want to commit salary and years to Randle. Rewinding back to that year, we shopped Randle before the summer to try and get a 1st and couldn’t get one, to give you an idea of his trade value at the time. He got a 2 year $18M deal with New Orleans.

Rondo was for the minimum. My best guess is Magic did want to commit with Jules and he was aiming for PG to team up with Lebron.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
ocho wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
cital wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Rondo was for the minimum. My best guess is Magic did want to commit with Jules and he was aiming for PG to team up with Lebron.

We signed Rondo to a 1yr $9M deal. There’s no Rondo without dumping Randle.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I think the Lakers are ultimately planning for the post-LeBron Lakers by targeting Trae.

It's not the move that'll get the Lakers closest to contention next season, but it'll make the Lakers good(not great) post LeBron if they can also get good role players around them.

The Lakers can still improve for next season with LeBron, AD, Trae provided the Lakers make other moves and are smart with smaller moves ala exception/minimum signings. It'll be more difficult of course given the Lakers will be giving up a lot of assets if they get Trae.

The Lakers have to find a sign-and-trade deal for D'Lo in this scenario. I prefer to keep him and hunt at another position just because it's so difficult to pull off sign-and-trades. But, he's been too valuable to let him walk for nothing. And, it's important to use him to help build up the rest of the team after using a lot of assets on Trae.

Just to make clear: I don't think the Lakers should go this scenario. I'm in favor of just going all-in now and completely rebuilding whenever LeBron is done. AD/Trae or even Donovan Mitchell isn't a contender to be excited about post-LeBron.

But, I think the Lakers have always planned to get someone to pair with AD to "keep it going" post-LeBron.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CRoost wrote:
ocho wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
cital wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Randle was the Lakers leading scorer and leading rebounder under a RFA contract for ~$5.5m. There is no justification for dumping him for nothing which is what they did. If the FO didn’t want him or needed cap space for Rondo they should have orchestrated a sign and trade or something else creative to get something of value for Randle instead of losing a good up-and-coming player on a cheap contract for nothing.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject:

cital wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Between Mintz and Lebron, it’s crazy how many times Pelinka has had a literal gun to his head. Poor guy has never been allowed to do what he wants.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
ocho wrote:
CRoost wrote:
ocho wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
cital wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Randle was the Lakers leading scorer and leading rebounder under a RFA contract for ~$5.5m. There is no justification for dumping him for nothing which is what they did. If the FO didn’t want him or needed cap space for Rondo they should have orchestrated a sign and trade or something else creative to get something of value for Randle instead of losing a good up-and-coming player on a cheap contract for nothing.

We can reasonably debate the merits of what they did and how they did it. But the team was chasing Kawhi the following summer, wanted Rondo, and couldn't find a trade market for Randle. Not to mention Randle reportedly asked to be released and didn’t want to be here anymore. His contract that season was for $5.5 but his caphold was $12.5. This was a recipe for him not being on the team. If it’s a sign and trade scenario you’re asking for, pretend they signed Randle to a 2yr $18M deal and traded him to New Orleans for Rondo.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

What? Lol He didn't force the Lakers, the Lakers needed that money for another player. How did he force them?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
CRoost wrote:
ocho wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
cital wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Ditto for Caruso, who walked for peanuts and we didn’t even try to get a sign and trade. Or if you’re really that allergic to the tax, match the Bulls offer and dump him at the deadline for a second rounder (maybe even a first!!) at worst. At least get *something*
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers need players who can defend while not causing a massive drop-off on offense.

Caruso doesn't produce enough on offense. He only hits open jumpers. He doesn't create any sort of offense at all.

The Lakers don't need any more one-way players offensively or defensively. They need 2 way players that allow the Lakers to play BOTH offense and defense.

As structured, the Lakers can't do both. They're an offensively-oriented team that can't play defense right now. When the Lakers had more defensive lineups early in the season, they were awful on offense.

There's always a bias from Laker fans for bringing back former Lakers. Getting a little tired of it, honestly.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
The Lakers need players who can defend while not causing a massive drop-off on offense.

Caruso doesn't produce enough on offense. He only hits open jumpers. He doesn't create any sort of offense at all.

The Lakers don't need any more one-way players offensively or defensively. They need 2 way players that allow the Lakers to play BOTH offense and defense.

As structured, the Lakers can't do both. They're an offensively-oriented team that can't play defense right now. When the Lakers had more defensive lineups early in the season, they were awful on offense.

There's always a bias from Laker fans for bringing back former Lakers. Getting a little tired of it, honestly.

2 way players don't jus grow on trees. Caruso was at least a Laker, and wanted to remain a Laker. Those were his words. But he would actually be a pretty ideal backcourt mate with either D'lo or AR or to come off the bench and play with either.l.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:58 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Japago wrote:

2 way players don't jus grow on trees. Caruso was at least a Laker, and wanted to remain a Laker. Those were his words. But he would actually be a pretty ideal backcourt mate with either D'lo or AR or to come off the bench and play with either.l.

They basically chose Horton-Tucker over Caruso (all other details could've been ironed out) in the hope that Horton-Tucker would expand his game, unfortunately that didn't happen.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
2019 wrote:
Japago wrote:

They basically chose Horton-Tucker over Caruso (all other details could've been ironed out) in the hope that Horton-Tucker would expand his game, unfortunately that didn't happen.

At least we redeem with Gabe Vincent, now the OG type wing… develop Vando’s O or flip one of the guard for one
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Japago wrote:

Yeah we can debate missing a guard, but this team really needed Vando now. His defensive versatility is so valuable and Ham gave up on him too early. He should be out there with Dlo more often to balance the lineup, youn need His defenae, energy and rebounds.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
2019 wrote:
Japago wrote:

Yeah we can debate missing a guard, but this team really needed Vando now. His defensive versatility is so valuable and Ham gave up on him too early. He should be out there with Dlo more often to balance the lineup, youn need His defenae, energy and rebounds.

The reason I want Caruso is so that we can keep both Dlo and AR. Without an elite defensive back court stopper like Caruso, either AR or Dlo would need to be replaced by a player that can be just “decent” on both sides of the ball.

And since Dlo is a more productive player but AR is cheaper as a fan favorite, I don’t want to part with either.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
2019 wrote:
Japago wrote:

The reason I want Caruso is so that we can keep both Dlo and AR. Without an elite defensive back court stopper like Caruso, either AR or Dlo would need to be replaced by a player that can be just “decent” on both sides of the ball.

And since Dlo is a more productive player but AR is cheaper as a fan favorite, I don’t want to part with either.

The reason why the Lakers are such a good team on offense right now is because they replaced their better defensive players with better offensive players. It changes back if you give more minutes to guys like Vando and Caruso. When the Lakers gave less minutes to D'Lo/AR/Rui, they played better defense.

The Lakers are picking between offense or defense because AD is the only guy who can do both.

You need guys who can do both so you can play BOTH offense and defense.

Caruso is giving you defense at the cost of offense. He's largely the same player he was in LA. If you ask him to score too much, he won't be able to do it. He's good for a few open shots and a few hustle plays on offense. That's it.

Mixing offense-only and defense-only players isn't enough. It hasn't been for this team.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
2019 wrote:
Japago wrote:

The reason why the Lakers are such a good team on offense right now is because they replaced their better defensive players with better offensive players. It changes back if you give more minutes to guys like Vando and Caruso. When the Lakers gave less minutes to D'Lo/AR/Rui, they played better defense.

The Lakers are picking between offense or defense because AD is the only guy who can do both.

You need guys who can do both so you can play BOTH offense and defense.

Caruso is giving you defense at the cost of offense. He's largely the same player he was in LA. If you ask him to score too much, he won't be able to do it. He's good for a few open shots and a few hustle plays on offense. That's it.

Mixing offense-only and defense-only players isn't enough. It hasn't been for this team.

Caruso avg 10ppg and shot 3pt% >40%. The points and percentage is better than all other non starters capable of playing in the backcourt: Vincent/Dinwiddie/Prince/CamRed/MaxChris.

I think he would work out great without sacrificing anything with Dlo/AR.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject:

One game closer to Trae Young
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
One game closer to Trae Young

dlo will opt in and we will keep Rui

Don Mitchell or trae young...come on down
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
One game closer to Trae Young-

Not being a Laker.

And that's a good thing.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
One game closer to Trae Young-

Not being a Laker.

And that's a good thing.

we lose this series and i totally expect trae young or Don Mitchell to be in lakers jersey next year
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject:

D'Angelo needs to not be relied upon to be the 3rd option.

He brings a lot of good to the team most of the time, but it's hard for this team to deal with his cold streaks. The Lakers really struggled during his December cold streak. That losing streak was the main reason why the Lakers' had another mediocre regular season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2553, 2554, 2555 ... 2577, 2578, 2579  Next
Page 2554 of 2579
Jump to: