GRIZZLIES -at- LAKERS - 4-28-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject:

Memphis talked smack.
Got smacked in the face.
Be humble, going forward, guys.
Actually happy Lebron didn’t stick around to hug those guys.
Sure he met up with Ja and others after the game.
Bane and Brooks run the mouth, got punched hard.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
I remember reading your early season write ups and thinking how can this dude still do it… gracias man, and now let’s fawkin go! We have enough! #18!

Had to pace myself. A lot of DIY nights this year. There’s only so much you can say when the roster construction is just so awful and the stubbornness of certain former players to do the right things just doesn’t happen. Guys are going to be who they are and thankfully the front office escaped that.

We are still going to be paying the price for that 2-10 start because of home court advantage. The way Crypto has been rocking, teams are very lucky we don’t have HCA. Hopefully they get that road warrior mentality down and it doesn’t matter.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Memphis talked smack.
Got smacked in the face.
Be humble, going forward, guys.
Actually happy Lebron didn’t stick around to hug those guys.
Sure he met up with Ja and others after the game.
Bane and Brooks run the mouth, got punched hard.

Call him old, talk trash? … disrespect one of the greats is disrespecting the game. Glad he just left those fools behind.

Funny enough Bron is exactly what the Grizzlies need on that roster. Even if they were healthy the brain trust over there that is on the floor and on the bench coaching got exposed badly this last game. Guy like LBJ (the mental side of things) would level them up to elite.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
governator wrote:
I remember reading your early season write ups and thinking how can this dude still do it… gracias man, and now let’s fawkin go! We have enough! #18!

Had to pace myself. A lot of DIY nights this year. There’s only so much you can say when the roster construction is just so awful and the stubbornness of certain former players to do the right things just doesn’t happen. Guys are going to be who they are and thankfully the front office escaped that.

We are still going to be paying the price for that 2-10 start because of home court advantage. The way Crypto has been rocking, teams are very lucky we don’t have HCA. Hopefully they get that road warrior mentality down and it doesn’t matter.

Thanks for everything, DB.
Been a Lakers fan since 1979.
Hard to believe this 2-10 team took out the #2 seed by 40 points!!
The trade deadline saw the genius of Pelinka. Not sure all the folks that contributed to the trades, but we all owe them beers.
Not the same team at all.
Guys look happy to play with one another.
Dlo and Reaves look tight.
What a difference a few months has made.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
So now, going back to the start of their "marriage".

AD/Lebron when healthy in a playoff series have yet to lose.
That's a daunting task facing any team.

Crazy if you think about it, as we were up on the Suns 2-1 too. So going back to 2020, 2021 and now 2023. AD and Lebron simply are dominant in playoff series basetball. The key to it all is AD + depth of shooters/defenders. If he's healthy he makes the defense work. And he can step up as a MVP level scorer 2 games out of 7. Then the depth and shooters give you the other 2 games. Lebron is Lebron. Old, but still very high IQ.

All that we need now is fortune and continuous health. I don't like our odds with every series being without HCA. This has only been done by Houston in 1995 I think, so it's almost like every series we have to win game 1 or game 2, because falling down 0-2 going back home is tough. And we never want to be 2-2 either, because winning a best of 3 with 2 on the road would be tough. So almost every series we have to try and be up 3-1. This will be tough.

But man, what a duo AD/Lebron have proven to be in the playoffs. Would have been nice if we had put together this team and ended the Westbrook experience summer 2022. HCA, and some more continuity. Better late than never.

Yeah I mentioned above that awful start and mediocre play afterward means we are still going to be paying the price for that with HCA. We don’t have time for feel out games. We’ve got to pounce. Like Horry said we need to be Cocaine Bear, lol.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject:

^ that Cocaine Bear reference was the one

Thanks DB!

I'm still not down from the high yet. I actually need to watch a replay to actually see the game now. Because last night, I can't even describe what it was like. I actually thought Memphis was one of the teams that could've given us a problem. So I have to say I'm starting to feel a little excite now.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Thx DB!!

FYI:
The Lakers are the first 7th seed to win their first-round series in 13 years.
This team is the lowest-seeded team in Laker history to advance.

The longer we play, the more reps these guys get together, the tougher we are going to be. We advanced AND leveled up our chemistry. Need to do that again. Players need the reps, coaches need it with the players. Let’s keep it going.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject:

What a game. FINALLY the team steps on their throats and did not hold back. I loved it .. sent their punkasses packing.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject:

Re: HCA -- one thing that bodes well for this team is they're mainly a defensive team. I know opposing role players do better at home, but the defense means that any given game is a possible win. It's huge because if it means LBJ & AD are themselves, then we really just need 1-2 of DLO, AR, Rui, Schro to have one of those breakout games.

It might be the case that it's like Games 2 or 5 and we don't get enough support, and we lose the game. But you really only need to win one. The Lakers won once in Memphis where they were 36-5, and they at least put themselves in position to win Games 2 and 5 even if they ultimately lost.
tradition32834
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Thanks to those who stayed up late to wait for this. I think I was rewinding and rewatching plays a lot, lol, because it was so damn good. It took me a while to finish. That AD lob dunk must have gotten 10 rewatches. There was a defense sequence against the Memphis stack and some other passing lane disruption where we stole the ball twice that got another bunch. They were blowing up everything on those set plays. What an ass kicking.

Forever grateful for your hard work brother !!!! 💜💛
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
So now, going back to the start of their "marriage".

AD/Lebron when healthy in a playoff series have yet to lose.
That's a daunting task facing any team.

Crazy if you think about it, as we were up on the Suns 2-1 too. So going back to 2020, 2021 and now 2023. AD and Lebron simply are dominant in playoff series basetball. The key to it all is AD + depth of shooters/defenders. If he's healthy he makes the defense work. And he can step up as a MVP level scorer 2 games out of 7. Then the depth and shooters give you the other 2 games. Lebron is Lebron. Old, but still very high IQ.

All that we need now is fortune and continuous health. I don't like our odds with every series being without HCA. This has only been done by Houston in 1995 I think, so it's almost like every series we have to win game 1 or game 2, because falling down 0-2 going back home is tough. And we never want to be 2-2 either, because winning a best of 3 with 2 on the road would be tough. So almost every series we have to try and be up 3-1. This will be tough.

But man, what a duo AD/Lebron have proven to be in the playoffs. Would have been nice if we had put together this team and ended the Westbrook experience summer 2022. HCA, and some more continuity. Better late than never.
Yeah I mentioned above that awful start and mediocre play afterward means we are still going to be paying the price for that with HCA. We don’t have time for feel out games. We’ve got to pounce. Like Horry said we need to be Cocaine Bear, lol.
The "Silver Lining" could be that Rob's transformation (again, KUDOS to Him!) late in the season forced/motivated the team to be extremely focused with no (few) lapses regarding focus and chemistry that provided the URGENCY that Ham has been preaching

With the remaining teams in the Western Conference (Nuggets, Kings/Dubs, Suns), Lakers are evenly matched and HCA is an advantage if it will go to a 7th game. Nuggets are unproven regarding going deep into the playoffs, Kings are inexperienced in the playoffs, Dubs have Curry/Klay/Green but are surprisingly inconsistent and the Suns have KD/Book/CP3 (but little depth).

Lakers' depth, along with AR (w/DLo & DS) taking pressure off of LBJ to bring up/set-up the team on offense, will allow our depth to take advantage of the Dubs/Suns' lack of depth that will also limit situations where LBJ/AD could get injured because they had to always have to expend a great amount of energy for the Lakers to stay competitive.

Funny that Big Shot Rob want the Lakers to play the Kings next - lol!!!

Dreaming Time (long ways to go)
Imagine a Laker vs Celtics or Knicks Finals
Ratings Bonanza!!!
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Thanks to those who stayed up late to wait for this. I think I was rewinding and rewatching plays a lot, lol, because it was so damn good. It took me a while to finish. That AD lob dunk must have gotten 10 rewatches. There was a defense sequence against the Memphis stack and some other passing lane disruption where we stole the ball twice that got another bunch. They were blowing up everything on those set plays. What an ass kicking.

After watching the game on Spectrum, I grabbed a quick bite before immediately re-watching the game on ESPN, lol. I’ll probably watch it a couple more times before Tuesday.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! What a game! Not sure why I was nervous but there came a time when the lead grew to 30 in the third, I think, that I had to tell myself to chill, the Lakers got this!

Putting the best construction on things, I will say:

- Pelinka deserves a lot of credit for redeeming himself at the trade deadline. He's earned some patience and trust that he understands what the Lakers need.

- Ham also has redeemed himself and has shown he can make adjustments and have the correct defensive mindset.

- Bron seems to understand that he needs to adjust his game at this point in his career. Great that he doesn't have to bring up the ball and iso to succeed.

- AD was so dominant defensively, great to see. Will be interesting to see both AD and Bron being able to stay healthy throughout the playoffs. Should be great basketball win or lose.

- If the Lakers can keep this defensive standard, they have just created for themselves, throughout the playoffs (especially in each series "game 1") then I like our chances.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the best overall game (scoring can be overrated) that AD has every played for the Lakers.

Fantastic win, left no doubt.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:55 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
After watching the game on Spectrum, I grabbed a quick bite before immediately re-watching the game on ESPN, lol. I’ll probably watch it a couple more times before Tuesday.
Great to have a team on the court with a singular focus of winning, to do whatever it takes and to support the players that contributed to each win.

Gabriel > Brown & Beasley Move = Wins
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: