The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100, 101  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jennifer Connelly vs. Demi Moore.

Who is the better actress?
And who do you think is prettier?


What a great question, Jennifer Connelly on the pony machine or Demi Moore on the clay making, 80s top hotness

Check out About Last Night (1986) and just fast forward to the good parts.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88153
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jennifer Connelly vs. Demi Moore.

Who is the better actress?
And who do you think is prettier?

My answer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0us6lmyyA2s


I have two words for you: Mulholland Falls.

You’re welcome.

My dad loves that movie and I'm starting to suspect why.


It’s actually a great little noir in its own right.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 9634
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject:

Criterion Alert: 50% flash sale for the next 24 hours!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Criterion Alert: 50% flash sale for the next 24 hours!

Fellini, baby, you're comin home to papa!
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 9634
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Criterion Alert: 50% flash sale for the next 24 hours!

Fellini, baby, you're comin home to papa!


Parasite and The Parallax View. Still might cop Fellini...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jennifer Connelly vs. Demi Moore.

Who is the better actress?
And who do you think is prettier?

My answer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0us6lmyyA2s


I have two words for you: Mulholland Falls.

You’re welcome.

My dad loves that movie and I'm starting to suspect why.


It’s actually a great little noir in its own right.

I must've seen it at some point growing up, but I don't recall much outside of Nolte. Probably time for a revisit.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Criterion Alert: 50% flash sale for the next 24 hours!

Fellini, baby, you're comin home to papa!


Parasite and The Parallax View. Still might cop Fellini...

Nice! I threw in Wanda and Girlfriends with the Fellini. Representation matters.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88153
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jennifer Connelly vs. Demi Moore.

Who is the better actress?
And who do you think is prettier?

My answer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0us6lmyyA2s


I have two words for you: Mulholland Falls.

You’re welcome.

My dad loves that movie and I'm starting to suspect why.


It’s actually a great little noir in its own right.

I must've seen it at some point growing up, but I don't recall much outside of Nolte. Probably time for a revisit.


Treat Williams, Chazz Palmanteri, Malikovich, Chris Penn, Michael Madden, Melanie Griffith, and of course the aforementioned Ms Connelly. A nice bit part by Andrew McCarthy too.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88153
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

And Bruce Dern.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject:

1980s Cinematic Parallels:

Climactic abandoned factory showdowns with shifting power dynamics followed by freeze frame final shots:

Dudes (Spheeris; 1987)
Zoom Up: Beaver Book Girl (Kanno; 1981)
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55443
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jennifer Connelly vs. Demi Moore.

Who is the better actress?
And who do you think is prettier?

My answer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0us6lmyyA2s


I have two words for you: Mulholland Falls.

You’re welcome.

My dad loves that movie and I'm starting to suspect why.


It’s actually a great little noir in its own right.

I'm fairly sure I've seen the movie. I have Eminence. I'm going to watch it tonight. I watched Casablanca the other night. Bogart was one of the greats.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 9634
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Rewatched Frears' The Hit. Must watch for fans of gangster/crime films. So, so good. Oozes cool. Character driven. Takes its time, but well worth it. Tense. Cerebral. An excellent performance from John Hurt and an early introduction to Tim Roth.

Great soundtrack, too, with pieces done by Clapton/Waters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Rewatched Frears' The Hit. Must watch for fans of gangster/crime films. So, so good. Oozes cool. Character driven. Takes its time, but well worth it. Tense. Cerebral. An excellent performance from John Hurt and an early introduction to Tim Roth.

Great soundtrack, too, with pieces done by Clapton/Waters.

Damn. A big blind spot for me. Did you stream it or do you own the disc?
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject:

A Parallax View tv reboot on Paramount+...? Sure, Hollywood, why not!

Pardon me, I'm gonna go pitch a Last Tango in Paris series for HBOMax. Think of all the sweet product placement cash we can squeeze out of Land O'Lakes.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 9634
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Rewatched Frears' The Hit. Must watch for fans of gangster/crime films. So, so good. Oozes cool. Character driven. Takes its time, but well worth it. Tense. Cerebral. An excellent performance from John Hurt and an early introduction to Tim Roth.

Great soundtrack, too, with pieces done by Clapton/Waters.

Damn. A big blind spot for me. Did you stream it or do you own the disc?


Streamed it via Criterion Channel. Still on there - just checked. I think you'll love it!

Question to the crowd - is Smooth Talk any good? I love Laura Dern and Treat Williams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55443
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Hadn't seen Mulholland Falls. I watched it today. Good movie. Not too many scenes Noltie didn't have a cigarette in his mouth. Nick has since fallen from grace for substance abuse. Loved him with Eddie Murphy in the 48 hours movies. Touching scene the death of Det Ellery Coolidge, Chaz Palminteri.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Hadn't seen Mulholland Falls. I watched it today. Good movie. Not too many scenes Noltie didn't have a cigarette in his mouth. Nick has since fallen from grace for substance abuse. Loved him with Eddie Murphy in the 48 hours movies. Touching scene the death of Det Ellery Coolidge, Chaz Palminteri.

Good save, jodeke. I was worried I had missed a scene of Nick Nolte outside of Winky's
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55443
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Hadn't seen Mulholland Falls. I watched it today. Good movie. Not too many scenes Noltie didn't have a cigarette in his mouth. Nick has since fallen from grace for substance abuse. Loved him with Eddie Murphy in the 48 hours movies. Touching scene the death of Det Ellery Coolidge, Chaz Palminteri.

Good save, jodeke. I was worried I had missed a scene of Nick Nolte outside of Winky's

What scene? Is Winky's a bar?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Hadn't seen Mulholland Falls. I watched it today. Good movie. Not too many scenes Noltie didn't have a cigarette in his mouth. Nick has since fallen from grace for substance abuse. Loved him with Eddie Murphy in the 48 hours movies. Touching scene the death of Det Ellery Coolidge, Chaz Palminteri.

Good save, jodeke. I was worried I had missed a scene of Nick Nolte outside of Winky's

What scene? Is Winky's a bar?

It's a famous scene in Mulholland Drive (spoiler alert): https://youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o

And I misspelled it - it's Winkie's Diner in the movie.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88153
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Hadn't seen Mulholland Falls. I watched it today. Good movie. Not too many scenes Noltie didn't have a cigarette in his mouth. Nick has since fallen from grace for substance abuse. Loved him with Eddie Murphy in the 48 hours movies. Touching scene the death of Det Ellery Coolidge, Chaz Palminteri.

Good save, jodeke. I was worried I had missed a scene of Nick Nolte outside of Winky's

What scene? Is Winky's a bar?

It's a famous scene in Mulholland Drive (spoiler alert): https://youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o

And I misspelled it - it's Winkie's Diner in the movie.


It’s funny, I had a small bet with myself whether Jodeke would accidentally watch Mulholland Drive.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Ric Roman Waugh, director of slow burn genre pictures like Felon, Shotcaller, Snitch, and Greenland is an auteur. I don't love any one of his movies, but on the whole I appreciate the patience and attention to character in all of them. As a visual stylist his work is competent if run-of-the-mill modern crime picture black and green, which is no doubt why art house dirt bags haven't embraced him as they have gonzo stylists like Paul WS Anderson, Jaume Collet- Serra, or Leigh Whannell.

But whether you like somber tones, light melodrama, and rounded character studies in your genre fare or not, the dude can consistently craft a better-than-solid midbudget flick in his own particular voice.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55443
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Hadn't seen Mulholland Falls. I watched it today. Good movie. Not too many scenes Noltie didn't have a cigarette in his mouth. Nick has since fallen from grace for substance abuse. Loved him with Eddie Murphy in the 48 hours movies. Touching scene the death of Det Ellery Coolidge, Chaz Palminteri.

Good save, jodeke. I was worried I had missed a scene of Nick Nolte outside of Winky's

What scene? Is Winky's a bar?

It's a famous scene in Mulholland Drive (spoiler alert): https://youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o

And I misspelled it - it's Winkie's Diner in the movie.


It’s funny, I had a small bet with myself whether Jodeke would accidentally watch Mulholland Drive.

Did self win or lose?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88153
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Hadn't seen Mulholland Falls. I watched it today. Good movie. Not too many scenes Noltie didn't have a cigarette in his mouth. Nick has since fallen from grace for substance abuse. Loved him with Eddie Murphy in the 48 hours movies. Touching scene the death of Det Ellery Coolidge, Chaz Palminteri.

Good save, jodeke. I was worried I had missed a scene of Nick Nolte outside of Winky's

What scene? Is Winky's a bar?

It's a famous scene in Mulholland Drive (spoiler alert): https://youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o

And I misspelled it - it's Winkie's Diner in the movie.


It’s funny, I had a small bet with myself whether Jodeke would accidentally watch Mulholland Drive.

Did self win or lose?
both. So now I owe me a bottle of whisky.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55443
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Hadn't seen Mulholland Falls. I watched it today. Good movie. Not too many scenes Noltie didn't have a cigarette in his mouth. Nick has since fallen from grace for substance abuse. Loved him with Eddie Murphy in the 48 hours movies. Touching scene the death of Det Ellery Coolidge, Chaz Palminteri.

Good save, jodeke. I was worried I had missed a scene of Nick Nolte outside of Winky's

What scene? Is Winky's a bar?

It's a famous scene in Mulholland Drive (spoiler alert): https://youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o

And I misspelled it - it's Winkie's Diner in the movie.


It’s funny, I had a small bet with myself whether Jodeke would accidentally watch Mulholland Drive.

Did self win or lose?
both. So now I owe me a bottle of whisky.
LOL
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 29238

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject:

To no one's surprise, the house of mouse is a harsh drm mistress.
_________________
https://youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 99 of 101
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB