THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2995, 2996, 2997 ... 3672, 3673, 3674  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject:

We are the five year olds of the world, but somehow the five year old has the gun and the car keys.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Lebron should retire and run for the 2022 Ohio Senate seat.

He won't have time to govern. He'll be too busy with Hollywood.

He can do both. A modern day Fred Thompson. Lebron contains multitudes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Gavin lifting stay at home orders for restaurants. desperately needed but i am curious about the science behind it and his plan.

Gavin once again caving to the economy. I think it can be done. It will take retrofitting restaurant seating. I think there has to be a limit on the number of people allowed at one time. Masks are a must. I'd like to see his plan.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Bill Bradley left the game and went into politics. You don't hear his name much. I don't think politics is in Brons wheelhouse.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Bill Bradley left the game and went into politics. You don't hear his name much. I don't think politics is in Brons wheelhouse.

Lebron is infinitely more famous, which is not all it takes, but it's a leg up if he wants to pursue it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Lebron is infinitely more famous, which is not all it takes, but it's a leg up if he wants to pursue it.

Being famous does not a good politician make. I don't think politics is something Bron would be good at. JMHO

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Gavin lifting stay at home orders for restaurants. desperately needed but i am curious about the science behind it and his plan.

Gavin once again caving to the economy. I think it can be done. It will take retrofitting restaurant seating. I think there has to be a limit on the number of people allowed at one time. Masks are a must. I'd like to see his plan.

This, from the CV thread, addresses the outside seating aspects of this:

ribeye wrote:
Did shutting down outdoor dining contribute to California's COVID-19 surge?

Quote:
Despite the ban, California has had one of the worst winter COVID-19 surges in the country, which begs the following question: Is it possible that shutting down outdoor dining made the state's surge even worse?

Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease expert at UCSF, believes it's highly likely.

"We won’t be able to know the exact percentage it drove, but I would say closing outdoor dining certainly did not help and likely hindered efforts to avoid a surge," she said. "It shut down in early December, and things did not get better from there; things actually got worse. Restrictions should be about understanding the human condition and keeping places that are safe open. Those of us who argue for a harm reduction approach have the same goal as the lockdownists: We want to reduce transmission, but we understand the human condition and the need to be with people."

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

This, from the CV thread, addresses the outside seating aspects of this:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:

"We won’t be able to know the exact percentage it drove, but I would say closing outdoor dining certainly did not help and likely hindered efforts to avoid a surge," she said. "It shut down in early December, and things did not get better from there; things actually got worse. Restrictions should be about understanding the human condition and keeping places that are safe open. Those of us who argue for a harm reduction approach have the same goal as the lockdownists: We want to reduce transmission, but we understand the human condition and the need to be with people."

I believe it could work if a plan was implemented. Masks, social distancing, and limited numbers should be considered. Much depends on owners' willingness to enforce adopted regulations. People will be people. Some will be willing to sacrifice others will insist on exercising their freedoms. Owners must enforce the regulations. Businesses have to open sooner or later. It's a must. Doing it the right way is imperative.

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Had Bradley stayed in the Senate, he might've been the Democratic nominee in 2004.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:

I'm really not a fan of the argument the author is making. When outdoor dining was available. People still went to private indoor gatherings.
There is no need to be with people outside your bubble in person.
The article is all speculation and anecdotes. And I have zero tolerance for people acting irresponsibility and killing fellow citizens.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

I'm really not a fan of the argument the author is making. When outdoor dining was available. People still went to private indoor gatherings.
There is no need to be with people outside your bubble in person.
The article is all speculation and anecdotes. And I have zero tolerance for people acting irresponsibility and killing fellow citizens.

Yeah, I think it is a real tenuous argument that people resorted to indoor activities because outdoor dining was not allowed. The people who are doing that we’re doing that anyway, there’s not some group of otherwise safe people who abandoned safety because a semi safe option wasn’t available.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

If anything the suit will cost Rudy financially. He can represent himself but A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. In this case that could not be more apropos.

Rudy Giuliani Sued by Dominion Voting Systems Over False Election Claims

LINK

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Why do you think about this take?

https://imgur.com/gallery/GYp2H01
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If anything the suit will cost Rudy financially. He can represent himself but A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. In this case that could not be more apropos.

Rudy Giuliani Sued by Dominion Voting Systems Over False Election Claims

LINK

I think the question of whether Rudy is a fool is a ship that sailed a long time ago.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

reduction to world of warcraft terminology (the thing he knows most about, probably) based on several misunderstandings within a larger misunderstanding

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Being famous does not a good politician make. I don't think politics is something Bron would be good at. JMHO

Jesse "The Mind" Ventura, anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

He’s half right. She’s in a safe seat and he’s she has the charisma and intellect and passion to pull the window to the left. But her aggressive tactics don’t exactly help the party because the swing district Dems end up having to run against both their gop challenger and the ads they run about AOC. If you didn’t know better, you would have thought she was running for about two dozen tough seats.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Reads like fanfic from someone dumb enough to use the phrase "overton window" sincerely.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Sofa King We Tall Did
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

Punchbowl News: Schumer, asked about going nuclear: "All I can tell you is we are not letting Mitch McConnell dictate how the Senate runs or what we do. … I will tell you this. There's huge anger in my caucus about what he's done."

I pray they learned their lesson from 2009 and McConnell's ongoing, never ending obstruction. Use your power, do the right thing, give people the help they need and let the chips fall where they may. Because if you let him obstruct, he'll beat you over the head with it in the next midterm.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

McConnell just folded his hand. He will remove his demand regarding filibuster so Democrats can take over. Schumer must have done something behind the scenes to apply pressure.
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
McConnell just folded his hand. He will remove his demand regarding filibuster so Democrats can take over. Schumer must have done something behind the scenes to apply pressure.

I missed something, what are you referring to? He just posted this
https://twitter.com/LeaderMcConnell/status/1353888999522398214?s=19
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I missed something, what are you referring to? He just posted this
https://twitter.com/LeaderMcConnell/status/1353888999522398214?s=19

The Dems need to pass an organizing resolution for how the senate will operate (including who gets how many committee seats and such). They don’t have the votes to ram one through. Mitch has demanded they keep the filibuster written into the organizing resolution, and is basically filibustering the resolution. Schummer said no. Apparently the Dems were getting close to nuking the filibuster because of this so Mitch backed down.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Punchbowl News: Schumer, asked about going nuclear: "All I can tell you is we are not letting Mitch McConnell dictate how the Senate runs or what we do. … I will tell you this. There's huge anger in my caucus about what he's done."

I pray they learned their lesson from 2009 and McConnell's ongoing, never ending obstruction. Use your power, do the right thing, give people the help they need and let the chips fall where they may. Because if you let him obstruct, he'll beat you over the head with it in the next midterm.

Bernie was on CNN yesterday.
The interviewer asked if he's worried about losing a part of Congress in 2022 if the Dems "go to far". Bernie conceded that Dems probably lose part of Congress. Just like after Barack's and Trump's first 2 years in office. So worrying about that is pointless. He said they're going to pass bills and send them to the WH for signing whether it's bipartisan or not. They're going to help the people and get things done while they can. And after that, they're going to let the chips fall where they fall.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:

Bernie was on CNN yesterday.
The interviewer asked if he's worried about losing a part of Congress in 2022 if the Dems "go to far". Bernie conceded that Dems probably lose part of Congress. Just like after Barack's and Trump's first 2 years in office. So worrying about that is pointless. He said they're going to pass bills and send them to the WH for signing whether it's bipartisan or not. They're going to help the people and get things done while they can. And after that, they're going to let the chips fall where they fall.

The Republicans will gerrymander the heck out of the House, so the Democrats might very well win the popular vote, win some of the seats they lost in 2020, and still lose the House.

The Senate looks safe, I think.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2995, 2996, 2997 ... 3672, 3673, 3674  Next
Page 2996 of 3674
Jump to: