Television: New Shows, new seasons, new characters, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 110, 111, 112  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jo, have you seen FX's Atlanta?

No. I'll give it a peek.

ELECTION COUNTDOWN

GET OUT AND VOTE

It might not be your cup of tea. But if you do watch it. I'd recommend using Closed Caption. Since the dialogue/script is why it's an all-time great show.

Atlanta is incredible. Masterpiece really.

Guys Queen’s Gambit on Netflix anyone check it out? Great reviews I just watched the first episode pretty good.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Jo, have you seen FX's Atlanta?

No. I'll give it a peek.

ELECTION COUNTDOWN

GET OUT AND VOTE

It might not be your cup of tea. But if you do watch it. I'd recommend using Closed Caption. Since the dialogue/script is why it's an all-time great show.

Atlanta is incredible. Masterpiece really.

Guys Queen’s Gambit on Netflix anyone check it out? Great reviews I just watched the first episode pretty good.

I'm 4 episodes in and I'm enjoying it, and I don't know anything about chess. Still really like the actual chess-playing scenes, though.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject:

I'm totally into the Queen's Gambit. I played a little chess during my teens and early 20's, Used to read a lot about Capablanca, Alekhine and Botvinnik. My favorite at one time was Mikhail Tal. I'm planning on picking it up again after watching this series (2 more episodes).
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
I'm totally into the Queen's Gambit. I played a little chess during my teens and early 20's, Used to read a lot about Capablanca, Alekhine and Botvinnik. My favorite at one time was Mikhail Tal. I'm planning on picking it up again after watching this series (2 more episodes).

I played a little chess as well. I tended to use the King's Indian Defense as a counter rather than accepting the gambit. That fianchetto'ed bishop was like a siloed nuke. It was a fave of Fischer and Tal.

My wife asked me if I wanted to watch Queen's Gambit this weekend, but I declined the gambit, at least for now. FWIW chess bores the hell out of me.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Anyone watching Fargo this season? Pretty good, not great like previous years (thought the first season was one of the best I've ever seen of any show). Still compelling overall and some great characters.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

I played a little chess as well. I tended to use the King's Indian Defense as a counter rather than accepting the gambit. That fianchetto'ed bishop was like a siloed nuke. It was a fave of Fischer and Tal.

My wife asked me if I wanted to watch Queen's Gambit this weekend, but I declined the gambit, at least for now. FWIW chess bores the hell out of me.

Understandable. The Queen's Gambit won't. It is storytelling at its best.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

My wife only knows that white goes first, but she's enjoying it and we're watching it together.
Maybe Netflix can make a series that wil make curling exciting as well
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject:

Undoing... ep 2, things getting good, could be a good crime drama series
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm binging on The Mandalorian. Just watch S1 E4, The Sanctuary. Shades of The Magnificent 7. Marauders taking food from villagers who don't know how to protect themselves. The Mandalorian taught them to fight and set traps to kill the monster. The Mandalorian was like Chris, Cara Dune was Vin-esque. OK so far.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Glad you’re liking Mandalorian, Jo. It definitely has western vibes throughout which is great.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Watching Queens Gambit after seeing all the praise. I was hooked after 10 minutes (this coming from a guy that’s never really played chess, except maybe a couple times in grade school which is mostly forgotten).

Also finally finished Mr. Robot. That final season was incredible. It had a 3-4episode run that was ELITE tier television.

Almost finished with The Good Place after all the awards and popularity got me curious. It definitely has the network sitcom humor/vibe but it also has a lot of big questions that it explores or even just presents to the viewer to explore on their own. It really has lived up to the hype.

Lastly, I finished catching up on all 4 seasons of The Last Kingdom. It definitely has Vikings mixed with GOT feel. The only bad thing is I’ll have to wait probably 2 years for season 5. But I definitely recommend this show to anyone who’s scrolled past it on Netflix and was curious.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Lastly, I finished catching up on all 4 seasons of The Last Kingdom. It definitely has Vikings mixed with GOT feel. The only bad thing is I’ll have to wait probably 2 years for season 5. But I definitely recommend this show to anyone who’s scrolled past it on Netflix and was curious.

That show gets ish done. The plot MOVES. Very little filler. I love it.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

That show gets ish done. The plot MOVES. Very little filler. I love it.

Seriously. I’m sure I’ll rewatch it again in the future. I think each season took 2 books from the series to adapt rather than the typical 1 book : 1 season most shows do. This definitely helped make the most out of every minute of screen time.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm binging on The Mandalorian. Just watch S1 E4, The Sanctuary. Shades of The Magnificent 7. Marauders taking food from villagers who don't know how to protect themselves. The Mandalorian taught them to fight and set traps to kill the monster. The Mandalorian was like Chris, Cara Dune was Vin-esque. OK so far.

The series is great entertainment. Second season's been cool so far for the first 2 episodes
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

I'm enjoying this season of Warrior. Outside of the Irish guy and rich, Mayor’s sister-in-law plot.

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Queen's gambit is incredible! Hoping for another season, but i am not sure they will make one.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I'm enjoying this season of Warrior. Outside of the Irish guy and rich, Mayor’s sister-in-law plot.

yea, it's building up quite nicely for the Tongs vs the Irish, I like the Mexican town side story too (Van Damme blood sport-ish)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm trying to watch The Whistlers. It's has a good plot and acting. I'm having problems because a good deal of the dialog is subtitled. Has anyone seen the movie. If so did you like it?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm trying to watch The Whistlers. It's has a good plot and acting. I'm having problems because a good deal of the dialog is subtitled. Has anyone seen the movie. If so did you like it?

Get used to it!

Being Brazilian, 99% of the movies and series I watch are subtitled. It doesn't bother me.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

I watched the first episode this weekend. How can that janitor not share the power of the Richter–Rauzer Attack variation of the Sicilian Defense? That was my favorite variation, other than Najdorf, which he did teach young Beth.

You're right, the storytelling was excellent. I have a feeling that I could become addicted to this series.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:

yea, it's building up quite nicely for the Tongs vs the Irish, I like the Mexican town side story too (Van Damme blood sport-ish)

That was a fun episode. Honestly the whole show has been a fun watch from the start. They make sure to pace things well. There's action in every episode.And the acting hits the mark.

It actually has a deceivingly large cast. When you start listing out the main players it's 11-12 deep. Between that, and the costume and set design being top notch. The show has real depth. Feels like they have successfully created a world. Like the film classic Gangs of New York.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That was a fun episode. Honestly the whole show has been a fun watch from the start. They make sure to pace things well. There's action in every episode.And the acting hits the mark.

It actually has a deceivingly large cast. When you start listing out the main players it's 11-12 deep. Between that, and the costume and set design being top notch. The show has real depth. Feels like they have successfully created a world. Like the film classic Gangs of New York.

I was watching Warrior when it first aired. I quit. Think I'll do some binging.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Undoing... ep 2, things getting good, could be a good crime drama series

ep 4, so far so good, plot thickens
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Get used to it!

Being Brazilian, 99% of the movies and series I watch are subtitled. It doesn't bother me.

I lose concentration on the acting and story because I have to concentrate on reading. Plus my eyes get tired doing all that reading.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Started to binge on Warrior. I've watched S1 E1-2-3-4-5. The killings are brutal. Head and hands cut off, men gutted. Combatants faces and clothing graphicly blood stained. Full frontal nudity. Fight scenes very well choreographed. Opium the reason. Starting to get interesting with the mayor's wife.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Page 47 of 112
Jump to: