The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Watched the new Borat movie. God it was a tough watch. I cringed for all 90 minutes.

That new Borat movie was in dire need of heavy film editing. It had some very funny moments interspersed with some awful, clumsy moments that should never have made it's way to the screen. I get it though, Sacha Baron Cohen was in a hurry to get this movie out prior to the election. He sacrificed quality for expediency.

Given his body of work, I’m not sure he would know the difference.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone watched The Trial of the Chicago Seven? I may have missed it but didn’t see it mentioned. I thought it was great, though I’m admittedly a big Sorkin fan.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

I have Eminence streaming service with VOD (Video On Demand) I've plugged in Hunt For Red October. I'm watching as I ink this. I've seen it numerous times. The passing of Sean Connery gave cause to watch it again.

Jeffrey Pelt : Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops. But it also means I keep my options open.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Has anyone watched The Trial of the Chicago Seven? I may have missed it but didn’t see it mentioned. I thought it was great, though I’m admittedly a big Sorkin fan.

Not yet, it's been hard to find motivation to watch new releases this year, but it's one I'm looking forward to.

Do you have a Sorkin ranking?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Now watching the Female Prisoner Scorpion series via the gorgeous box set Arrow put together. This and the Lady Snowblood series are like 80% of Tarantino's Kill Bill.

I love this whole era of Japanese filmmaking.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Spielberg challenge: make another action movie that's as pulpy fun and clearly lit as Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I'm rewatching for Connery's iconic first Connery-as-Connery supporting star turn (The Untouchables jumpstarts his late career resurgence, but I think Last Crusade cements him as film icon unto himself) and thinking back to Connery as Mark Rutland in Marnie, one of Connery's great performances. It's (perversely) fascinating to look back on Connery as a wife beater and Hitchcock who sexually harassed Tippi Hedren in-between filming The Birds and Marnie and then tarnished her movie career when she wouldn't (bleep) him in sync with Hedren's performance as she devolves from criminal femme fatale to victim to object of conquest and redemption. It's horrific to note, but she is the entelechy of sexual assault survivor on celluloid in Marnie. What an all-timers iconic performance in a truly ugly piece of film art.

Has Spielberg ever made a movie centered on a female protagonist as interesting as Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore let alone Marnie? Maybe The Color Purple?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Not yet, it's been hard to find motivation to watch new releases this year, but it's one I'm looking forward to.

Do you have a Sorkin ranking?

I think it’s safe to say that A Few Good Men and The Social Network are his top tier. On the next level I’d have Moneyball, Molly’s Game, and Trial (haven’t see Jobs or Charlie Wilson).

I was a big fan of The Newsroom and enjoyed Sportsnight even if it did have that 90’s network tv hokiness at times. Missed the West Wing boat.

Even for non Sorkin fans, the cast of Trial is incredible. Redmayne and Strong especially.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Spielberg challenge: make another action movie that's as pulpy fun and clearly lit as Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I'm rewatching for Connery's iconic first Connery-as-Connery supporting star turn (The Untouchables jumpstarts his late career resurgence, but I think Last Crusade cements him as film icon unto himself) and thinking back to Connery as Mark Rutland in Marnie, one of Connery's great performances. It's (perversely) fascinating to look back on Connery as a wife beater and Hitchcock who sexually harassed Tippi Hedren in-between filming The Birds and Marnie and then tarnished her movie career when she wouldn't (bleep) him in sync with Hedren's performance as she devolves from criminal femme fatale to victim to object of conquest and redemption. It's horrific to note, but she is the entelechy of sexual assault survivor on celluloid in Marnie. What an all-timers iconic performance in a truly ugly piece of film art.

Has Spielberg ever made a movie centered on a female protagonist as interesting as Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore let alone Marnie? Maybe The Color Purple?

Wouldn't call them interesting characters per se, but Poltergeist 1 is a womany movie at its core. And having seen the brilliant original Texas Chain Saw Massacre, it's hard to believe that Tobe Hooper directed that instead of Steven. It had a very Spielbergian feel to it. Jo Beth and Zelda and the other paranormalist woman and the young girl. The crux of the story surrounds them. Nothing ever really surrounds Craig T. Nelson, cmon. He was in Silkwood, which is a Streep/Cher dominated flick balanced by a hunky Kurt Russell, but that's Mike Nichols. Anyone who's ever worked in an institution will have flashbacks of all the BS they encountered at theirs when they watch that. Really portrayed the personality squabbles in a facility like that or in any other industry.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Favorites by modern Hollywood directors:

Anderson, PT - Phantom Thread
Anderson, Wes - Bottle Rocket
Altman - McCabe & Ms. Miller
Cameron - The Abyss
Carpenter - Big Trouble in Little China
Coen brothers - Fargo
Fincher - The Game
Gray - The Immigrant
Lee, Spike - Malcolm X
Mann - Heat
Nolan - Dunkirk
Scorsese - Taxi Driver
Spielberg - Raiders of the Lost Ark
Tarantino - Pulp Fiction
Zemekis - Death Becomes Her
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

Favorites by modern Hollywood directors:

Anderson, PT - Phantom Thread
Anderson, Wes - Bottle Rocket
Altman - McCabe & Ms. Miller
Cameron - The Abyss
Carpenter - Big Trouble in Little China
Coen brothers - Fargo
Fincher - The Game
Gray - The Immigrant
Lee, Spike - Malcolm X
Mann - Heat
Nolan - Dunkirk
Scorsese - Taxi Driver
Spielberg - Raiders of the Lost Ark
Tarantino - Pulp Fiction
Zemekis - Death Becomes Her

Malcolm X was Spike's GoodFellas (my fave Marty picture, tho I'm well-versed in the older titles, Taxi is always gonna be the most critically acclaimed for obvious reasons). Spielberg is probably E.T. out of sentimental value: I was around Drew's age when I saw it, had same toys, same bedsheets as Elliott even, I WAS Elliott.) Appreciate a lot of Stephen's work, tho. Color Purple was overlooked and under acclaimed. Opening scene of Schindler in the ballroom in List is brilliant cinema, gorgeously angled and mapped out, every move by every character. Love both List and Ryan. As for Carpenter, I wanna go with The Thing 82, but for thorough-enjoyability's sake, you're probably right w/ Big Trouble. That movie keeps your geek juices bubbling. https://tinyurl.com/yxlhdz3g I'm not surprised that the Trumpsters weren't clever enough to use the title Big Trouble In Little China as it related to Hunter and his Burisma treasons.

I saw Bottle Rocket one early morn in 96 on cable, basically because it was 4-6 AM and nothin was doin. I liked it, never had seen a movie that quirky before, liked the CSer older bully brother. First dose of The Wilson Brothers unleashed on the world. Then Rushmore came along and the pattern of those movies became more clear.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I watched it yesterday. It seemed more like a spoof than reality. The overturns and whatnots were not surprising. The judge was off the chain. I wikied it.

I have a great streaming service. I can probably get most of the moves on the lists posted. Since I dropped cable I've been looking for movies. Thanks, girls/guys.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

@BVH I watched Heat starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino last night Is that the Heat you were referring to?

I was pulling for McCauley to getaway. He had a free path but the gangsta in him made him go back to kill Waingro. Hanna had a tear in his eye when he held the hand of the dying McCalley. Charlene waved Chris off so he did getaway. Good movie.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
@BVH I watched Heat starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino last night Is that the Heat you were referring to?

I was pulling for McCauley to getaway. He had a free path but the gangsta in him made him go back to kill Waingro. Hanna had a tear in his eye when he held the hand of the dying McCalley. Charlene waved Chris off so he did getaway. Good movie.

I'm glad you dug it, jodeke. It's a really beautiful movie with violence and cops and robbers, but everyone in the flick just wants to make a human connection.

Welcome to Mann-hood!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject:

One of Claire Denis' great films 35 Shots of Rum is back streaming on the Criterion Channel, and it has one of the greatest rip roaring farts in cinema history, which helps make it extra great.

Check it out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I'm glad you dug it, jodeke. It's a really beautiful movie with violence and cops and robbers, but everyone in the flick just wants to make a human connection.

Welcome to Mann-hood!

It was a long movie, 2hr 50min. I would have had to make a couple of pit stops if I'd viewed it in a theater.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Random cameos in 1999 movies I love:

Willem Dafoe as a sycophantic gas station attendant in Cronenburg's last great body horror flick, eXistenZ.

Andy Serkis pre-mocap-Gollum fame as jaunty choreographer in Mike Leigh's gorgeous and hilarious Topsy Turvy.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

I watched The Negotiator last night. I'm a Samuel L Jackson fan. I thought the plot was great. Good action/drama film.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I recently watched the Ron Howard film Hillbilly Elegy on Netflix. It is based on the best selling memoir by JD Vance form a few years ago. I thought the movie was extremely good, and Glenn Close should be in line for awards based on her role of Vance's grandmother. Just from some of the images and home movie clips of Vance's grandmother, it is scary how well Close nailed the character.

Although the book did not seem to be criticized for any type of social or political elements, the movie has seem to pick up some of those criticisms. I have seen critical views about it being a negative portrayal of working class Americans.....and I have even seen criticism about it being too cisgendered and white. As for the latter, it is a memoir so I just do not understand the criticism...as it would become fiction if characters and roles were created to be more inclusive. I do not know why anyone would expect someone to do that in a memoir. As for the former, it is not a depiction of working class Americans....it is a very specific depiction of specific people in Appalachia. As someone that is of similar age to Vance, and from the same region....I assure you the book was dead nuts on accurate of the lower socioeconomic class in the region, and the movie offered an extremely close portrayal of these people and the very real problems they face.

The book was great, but the movie got me choked up a few times. The impact of low economic opportunity, and the invasion of narcotics within the region is very accurately portrayed....and to a degree it is painful to watch. To see how the odds were stacked against Vance, but because of a few heroic people in his life who sacrificed to allow him to rise above his expected path to become very successful in life is inspiring. I am sure many of you are not familiar with this region on a 1st hand basis, but I hope the movie gives those that are not a peek into a large region of our country, and more specifically a class of people within that regions real struggles. I believe it is as hard, if not harder, to find success, happiness, etc. for the lower socioeconomic class of deep Appalachia as it is for many of the same class of people in many of our impoverished areas of the inner cities. The difference is nobody even pretends to care about the former.

Give it a watch, I promise that "Mamaw" will gain your respect.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject:

Netflix Master of the nine dragon fists: Wong Ching-Ho... so bad but I couldn't turn it off, finished it, the smirking white antagonist guy James, I think they just ask random white guy in HK if they wanna be in a movie
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I recently watched the Ron Howard film Hillbilly Elegy on Netflix. It is based on the best selling memoir by JD Vance form a few years ago. I thought the movie was extremely good, and Glenn Close should be in line for awards based on her role of Vance's grandmother. Just from some of the images and home movie clips of Vance's grandmother, it is scary how well Close nailed the character.

Although the book did not seem to be criticized for any type of social or political elements, the movie has seem to pick up some of those criticisms. I have seen critical views about it being a negative portrayal of working class Americans.....and I have even seen criticism about it being too cisgendered and white. As for the latter, it is a memoir so I just do not understand the criticism...as it would become fiction if characters and roles were created to be more inclusive. I do not know why anyone would expect someone to do that in a memoir. As for the former, it is not a depiction of working class Americans....it is a very specific depiction of specific people in Appalachia. As someone that is of similar age to Vance, and from the same region....I assure you the book was dead nuts on accurate of the lower socioeconomic class in the region, and the movie offered an extremely close portrayal of these people and the very real problems they face.

The book was great, but the movie got me choked up a few times. The impact of low economic opportunity, and the invasion of narcotics within the region is very accurately portrayed....and to a degree it is painful to watch. To see how the odds were stacked against Vance, but because of a few heroic people in his life who sacrificed to allow him to rise above his expected path to become very successful in life is inspiring. I am sure many of you are not familiar with this region on a 1st hand basis, but I hope the movie gives those that are not a peek into a large region of our country, and more specifically a class of people within that regions real struggles. I believe it is as hard, if not harder, to find success, happiness, etc. for the lower socioeconomic class of deep Appalachia as it is for many of the same class of people in many of our impoverished areas of the inner cities. The difference is nobody even pretends to care about the former.

Give it a watch, I promise that "Mamaw" will gain your respect.

In a normal year I would've already watched the film on a big screen, but I'm not super compelled to see anything from 2020 released after mid-March, so I do appreciate your review and it's a movie I will watch in early 2021 before awards season.

I'm not offering my own critique given that I haven't yet seen the movie, but one pointed critique I've seen floating around social media is of a character whose credit card is declined at a gas station. And the main critique isn't of the book, but of the wealthy Hollywood creators who aren't aware that when one is poor, one pays cash to the cent for gas and isn't reliant on a credit card in that situation.

I don't know if that critique rings true to you or not. But I thought I'd present it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Possessor (2020; B.Cronenberg) - I don't think this is a great movie, but I think it's a good and interesting movie because it embodies and loves its myriad fetishes unlike most of the A24 elevated horror canon. It's incredibly self-conscious given who the director is, but it finds in its shatteted teeth and falsie phalluses; its gender bending and ultra violence and nihilist rejection of family, a garish, gruesome, lovely truth. Come for the on the nose tech skepticism, but stay for the anti-natalism Sheryl Sandberg no doubt appreciates even if she can't condone it in public.

The erect penis/gouged eye version can be rented at iTunes and everywhere else except Amazon Prime. If you want the slightly tamer version for the same price, Jeff Bezos is your man.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject:

In a normal year I would've already watched the film on a big screen, but I'm not super compelled to see anything from 2020 released after mid-March, so I do appreciate your review and it's a movie I will watch in early 2021 before awards season.

I'm not offering my own critique given that I haven't yet seen the movie, but one pointed critique I've seen floating around social media is of a character whose credit card is declined at a gas station. And the main critique isn't of the book, but of the wealthy Hollywood creators who aren't aware that when one is poor, one pays cash to the cent for gas and isn't reliant on a credit card in that situation.

I don't know if that critique rings true to you or not. But I thought I'd present it.

If I recall, it was Vance himself that was the only one shuffling credit cards throughout the movie (in the present as it bounces back and forth between him as an adult and him as a child)....offering another card when one was declined. At this point in the timeline, Vance is an adult @ Yale Law School after spending 4 years in the military, and undergrad years @ Ohio State. He clearly is still struggling for money or college poor, but as I recall from college during that time period, it was very easy to accumulate a ton of credit cards on a college campus.

When you get around to watching, let me know your thoughts. I think you will enjoy the level of production and acting, but I assume it will not have the personal connection for you unless you are familiar with the region. I got choked up several times because it was real, and I know there is so much beauty and so much ugly in regards to growing up in that region. Although I doubt I ever return to reside full time, I can feel those mountains calling me on a daily basis.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Saw Tenet. Not in theaters obviously. I'm sure it would've been better in IMAX. But Nolan did a poor job explaining the rules of that world.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Saw Tenet. Not in theaters obviously. I'm sure it would've been better in IMAX. But Nolan did a poor job explaining the rules of that world.

I couldn't get into Tenet. I tried 3 times.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I couldn't get into Tenet. I tried 3 times.

It's tough to wrap your brain around. I've always been a HUGE Nolan fan. It had alot of excellent elements. But when the story is murky to follow. All the huge action and set pieces are just plot without story.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 86 of 189
Jump to: