Tyronn Lue celebrating as Lakers Head Coach (Update: NO DEAL!!! - pg.4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138349
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
The fact that Doc got a new job as fast as he did vs someone like Lue taking as long as he did should tell you what tier he's perceived at. If any of the other coaches in the league with a championship got fired today they would immediately get a new job.

He won a Championship in his first year, but the people making decisions clearly don't have too high an opinion of him and as soon as LeBron left and the Cavs started the season poorly he got canned. The way he got the job and how things played out after the first year has really hurt him.

With the Lakers they clearly wanted to align Lue's deal with LeBron's deal.


The Lakers thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice.
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1433

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
The fact that Doc got a new job as fast as he did vs someone like Lue taking as long as he did should tell you what tier he's perceived at. If any of the other coaches in the league with a championship got fired today they would immediately get a new job.

He won a Championship in his first year, but the people making decisions clearly don't have too high an opinion of him and as soon as LeBron left and the Cavs started the season poorly he got canned. The way he got the job and how things played out after the first year has really hurt him.

With the Lakers they clearly wanted to align Lue's deal with LeBron's deal.


The Lakers thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice.


And that was clearly a mistake. They thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice for a 3 year offer with their choice of assistants. When he turned that down in a huff Lebron had every opportunity to go to management and get Lue his terms. But he didn’t. Because he knew what Lue was capable of. Instead he had more respect for the coach of the team that pushed him to 7 games in the Eastern Conferemce Finals and turned Hibbert into an all-star.

This isn’t going to end well for the Clippers.

They replaced a player’s coach with a lesser version of the same guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 4743

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Judah wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Judah wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Lue had gotten sacked from Cavs. Not like he was a coach with pedigree like Phil Jackson who was a sure bet when Lakers hired him. After Brown, MDA, Byron Scott and Luke Walton, Lakers were right to be cautious in handing out only 3 year deal to Lue.

Were they also right to not allow him to pick his own staff then?


Vogel had no issues with that and for all we know, Kidd might have made a positive impact as an assistant. We know Handy was a great hire. They let Luke choose his team and all he did was pick his Arizona buddies. Apparently, Magic and Pelinka wanted Luke to get some tactical guys in 2018-19, but Luke wouldn't drop his buddies.

None of which answers my question...

Ty Lue has won a championship as a coach. That's a fact. And that can't be discounted just because he coached LeBron, either. If it is, Vogel's championship means little as well since he also won his as LeBron's coach. Again, I'm happy with Vogel and believe the Lakers hit a homerun with him. I also think he's a better coach than Ty Lue is. But Ty Lue is still a good coach and the amount of vitriol that people have spewed in this thread about him has never made sense. The way the Lakers handled that coaching search was bizarre and embarrassing, even though they did end up with the right guy.

A lot of the replies in this thread shows that people on LG understand very little about how some of this stuff works. That's why the criticisms are so nonsensical.


I don't think Ty Lue is a good coach. Blatt whom Bron couldn't stand had Cavs in the finals and took GSW to 6 games despite Kyrie and Love being injured. Lue just had both available next season. Vogel's defensive impact has been obvious on the Lakers this season. I didn't see any difference to that Cavs team from Bron/Blatt system other than having Irving and Love healthy. Vogel took Pacers to 7 games against Miami superteam. In game 7 Playoff P had his typical meltdown scoring only 7 points. Vogel is way more proven than Lue.

Lue's title is like the one Westhead won with Lakers. Once Westhead tried to implement his system, Magic found it silly and he was sacked. Lue got sacked from Cavs months after Bron left. Maybe Blatt would have won a championship too if Dellavedova wasn't his 2nd best player in NBA finals.

You're arguing that Vogel is a better coach, which is a moot point since I already agree and have said as much. The problem is that you've conflated who's the better coach with who's more accomplished. Last year when the Lakers were searching for their new coach, Lue was the more accomplished coach because he had won a championship. He deserved a deal that was consistent with the market, and especially to assemble his own staff. To say Ty Lue isn't a good coach is just absurd. He may not be as good as Vogel, but he's a good coach. You don't win a championship without being a good coach.
_________________
“Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there."
- John Piper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 5561

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Judah wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Judah wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Lue had gotten sacked from Cavs. Not like he was a coach with pedigree like Phil Jackson who was a sure bet when Lakers hired him. After Brown, MDA, Byron Scott and Luke Walton, Lakers were right to be cautious in handing out only 3 year deal to Lue.

Were they also right to not allow him to pick his own staff then?


Vogel had no issues with that and for all we know, Kidd might have made a positive impact as an assistant. We know Handy was a great hire. They let Luke choose his team and all he did was pick his Arizona buddies. Apparently, Magic and Pelinka wanted Luke to get some tactical guys in 2018-19, but Luke wouldn't drop his buddies.

None of which answers my question...

Ty Lue has won a championship as a coach. That's a fact. And that can't be discounted just because he coached LeBron, either. If it is, Vogel's championship means little as well since he also won his as LeBron's coach. Again, I'm happy with Vogel and believe the Lakers hit a homerun with him. I also think he's a better coach than Ty Lue is. But Ty Lue is still a good coach and the amount of vitriol that people have spewed in this thread about him has never made sense. The way the Lakers handled that coaching search was bizarre and embarrassing, even though they did end up with the right guy.

A lot of the replies in this thread shows that people on LG understand very little about how some of this stuff works. That's why the criticisms are so nonsensical.


I don't think Ty Lue is a good coach. Blatt whom Bron couldn't stand had Cavs in the finals and took GSW to 6 games despite Kyrie and Love being injured. Lue just had both available next season. Vogel's defensive impact has been obvious on the Lakers this season. I didn't see any difference to that Cavs team from Bron/Blatt system other than having Irving and Love healthy. Vogel took Pacers to 7 games against Miami superteam. In game 7 Playoff P had his typical meltdown scoring only 7 points. Vogel is way more proven than Lue.

Lue's title is like the one Westhead won with Lakers. Once Westhead tried to implement his system, Magic found it silly and he was sacked. Lue got sacked from Cavs months after Bron left. Maybe Blatt would have won a championship too if Dellavedova wasn't his 2nd best player in NBA finals.

You're arguing that Vogel is a better coach, which is a moot point since I already agree and have said as much. The problem is that you've conflated who's the better coach with who's more accomplished. Last year when the Lakers were searching for their new coach, Lue was the more accomplished coach because he had won a championship. He deserved a deal that was consistent with the market, and especially to assemble his own staff. To say Ty Lue isn't a good coach is just absurd. He may not be as good as Vogel, but he's a good coach. You don't win a championship without being a good coach.


I don't think Lue is a better coach than Blatt who also won Euro League (coaching is a lot more crucial there without superstar talent). Blatt would be set for life in NBA too if Kyrie and Love didn't get injured. I am glad we ended up with Vogel and Lakers did the right thing appointing Handy especially. Lue ended up being an assistant last year for a reason. Bron gave a career to Mike Brown at Lakers too. Lakers didn't overrate Lue because of 2016. Simple. It's a moot point saying Lakers should have given him more years and right to pick his staff if they didn't think he was worth all that. They walked away from his demands. Market is even thinner this summer and Clippers ended up downgrading from Rivers imo. Time will tell so let's see what Lue does with Clippers.
_________________
Showtime 2.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138349
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
The fact that Doc got a new job as fast as he did vs someone like Lue taking as long as he did should tell you what tier he's perceived at. If any of the other coaches in the league with a championship got fired today they would immediately get a new job.

He won a Championship in his first year, but the people making decisions clearly don't have too high an opinion of him and as soon as LeBron left and the Cavs started the season poorly he got canned. The way he got the job and how things played out after the first year has really hurt him.

With the Lakers they clearly wanted to align Lue's deal with LeBron's deal.


The Lakers thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice.


And that was clearly a mistake. They thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice for a 3 year offer with their choice of assistants. When he turned that down in a huff Lebron had every opportunity to go to management and get Lue his terms. But he didn’t. Because he knew what Lue was capable of. Instead he had more respect for the coach of the team that pushed him to 7 games in the Eastern Conferemce Finals and turned Hibbert into an all-star.

This isn’t going to end well for the Clippers.

They replaced a player’s coach with a lesser version of the same guy.


You are loco if you think that Lebron wasn’t 100% behind the Lakers hiring Lue.
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1433

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
The fact that Doc got a new job as fast as he did vs someone like Lue taking as long as he did should tell you what tier he's perceived at. If any of the other coaches in the league with a championship got fired today they would immediately get a new job.

He won a Championship in his first year, but the people making decisions clearly don't have too high an opinion of him and as soon as LeBron left and the Cavs started the season poorly he got canned. The way he got the job and how things played out after the first year has really hurt him.

With the Lakers they clearly wanted to align Lue's deal with LeBron's deal.


The Lakers thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice.


And that was clearly a mistake. They thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice for a 3 year offer with their choice of assistants. When he turned that down in a huff Lebron had every opportunity to go to management and get Lue his terms. But he didn’t. Because he knew what Lue was capable of. Instead he had more respect for the coach of the team that pushed him to 7 games in the Eastern Conferemce Finals and turned Hibbert into an all-star.

This isn’t going to end well for the Clippers.

They replaced a player’s coach with a lesser version of the same guy.


You are loco if you think that Lebron wasn’t 100% behind the Lakers hiring Lue.


But when push came to shove Lebron just shrugged his shoulders? I mean Lue wanted 2 more years and his own assistants. Lebron obviously didn’t care enough to push for that. If he really wanted Lue it would have happened. I’m not sure how else to interpret the sequence of events.

In any case it worked out for us because Vogel is a vastly superior coach to Lue. In today’s modern NBA game I don’t think “player’s coaches” are as desirable. I know Lebron likes player’s coaches but the fact of the matter is 3 out of his 4 chips cane from XOs film room rats.

Let’s see what Lue, Chauncey, and Cassell can do to clean up this toxic locker room. But I have low expectations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138349
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject:

Vogel has never been a vastly superior coach to Lue. I would put both in the top 15 in the league.
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 4743

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Judah wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Judah wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Judah wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Lue had gotten sacked from Cavs. Not like he was a coach with pedigree like Phil Jackson who was a sure bet when Lakers hired him. After Brown, MDA, Byron Scott and Luke Walton, Lakers were right to be cautious in handing out only 3 year deal to Lue.

Were they also right to not allow him to pick his own staff then?


Vogel had no issues with that and for all we know, Kidd might have made a positive impact as an assistant. We know Handy was a great hire. They let Luke choose his team and all he did was pick his Arizona buddies. Apparently, Magic and Pelinka wanted Luke to get some tactical guys in 2018-19, but Luke wouldn't drop his buddies.

None of which answers my question...

Ty Lue has won a championship as a coach. That's a fact. And that can't be discounted just because he coached LeBron, either. If it is, Vogel's championship means little as well since he also won his as LeBron's coach. Again, I'm happy with Vogel and believe the Lakers hit a homerun with him. I also think he's a better coach than Ty Lue is. But Ty Lue is still a good coach and the amount of vitriol that people have spewed in this thread about him has never made sense. The way the Lakers handled that coaching search was bizarre and embarrassing, even though they did end up with the right guy.

A lot of the replies in this thread shows that people on LG understand very little about how some of this stuff works. That's why the criticisms are so nonsensical.


I don't think Ty Lue is a good coach. Blatt whom Bron couldn't stand had Cavs in the finals and took GSW to 6 games despite Kyrie and Love being injured. Lue just had both available next season. Vogel's defensive impact has been obvious on the Lakers this season. I didn't see any difference to that Cavs team from Bron/Blatt system other than having Irving and Love healthy. Vogel took Pacers to 7 games against Miami superteam. In game 7 Playoff P had his typical meltdown scoring only 7 points. Vogel is way more proven than Lue.

Lue's title is like the one Westhead won with Lakers. Once Westhead tried to implement his system, Magic found it silly and he was sacked. Lue got sacked from Cavs months after Bron left. Maybe Blatt would have won a championship too if Dellavedova wasn't his 2nd best player in NBA finals.

You're arguing that Vogel is a better coach, which is a moot point since I already agree and have said as much. The problem is that you've conflated who's the better coach with who's more accomplished. Last year when the Lakers were searching for their new coach, Lue was the more accomplished coach because he had won a championship. He deserved a deal that was consistent with the market, and especially to assemble his own staff. To say Ty Lue isn't a good coach is just absurd. He may not be as good as Vogel, but he's a good coach. You don't win a championship without being a good coach.


I don't think Lue is a better coach than Blatt who also won Euro League (coaching is a lot more crucial there without superstar talent). Blatt would be set for life in NBA too if Kyrie and Love didn't get injured. I am glad we ended up with Vogel and Lakers did the right thing appointing Handy especially. Lue ended up being an assistant last year for a reason. Bron gave a career to Mike Brown at Lakers too. Lakers didn't overrate Lue because of 2016. Simple. It's a moot point saying Lakers should have given him more years and right to pick his staff if they didn't think he was worth all that. They walked away from his demands. Market is even thinner this summer and Clippers ended up downgrading from Rivers imo. Time will tell so let's see what Lue does with Clippers.

Quote:
Lue ended up being an assistant last yeat for a reason.

And what reason is that? The biggest reason why it didn't work out for Lue in CLE after LeBron left is because CLE went into rebuild mode, and Lue wanted to win games instead of focusing on player development. It was a vision issue. The only job that was available last year where winning was going to be prioritized was this one, the Lakers. Part of the problem is you're assuming too much and then using your assumptions as slams against Lue. How do you know those other teams may have had interest in him, but he wasn't interested because he didn't want to coach a rebuilding team? The reverse could also be true. Those same teams, knowing that such a situation wasn't what interested him, could've thought it was pointless to contact him. It's naive to think that everything that's going on behind the scenes is reported. It's not. There's plenty we don't know about. That's why it's foolish to do what you're doing and fill in the blanks with unfounded assumptions.

If we were to follow your argument through, why were all the good teams interested in Lue this summer then? Brooklyn, the Clippers, Rockets, and Sixers all had interest in him. And this is even despite that epic meltdown by the Clippers. They still wanted Lue. Even the Pelicans wanted him. So your argument doesn't hold weight. If teams all over the league think so little of him why was he the hottest coach on the market this summer?

Quote:
Bron gave a career to Mike Brown at CLE too.

Did he really? The Cavs never won a title with Brown and Bron. Brown was the head coach of the Lakers for a year and some change, then he returned to the Cavs for a little while and got fired, but he hasn't been heavily coveted. To even compare Brown to Lue is laughable. Brown hasn't won a championship.

Quote:
It's a moot point saying Lakers should have given him more years and right to pick his staff if they didn't think he was worth all that.

By this logic they must not have thought very highly of Vogel either since they gave him the same offer.

Quote:
They walked away from his demands.

This encapsulates the problem. It's how you're looking at it. "Demands"? Seriously? Not wanting a below market deal isn't a "demand." It's wanting to be treated fairly. You're refusing to acknowledge that the Lakers' approach to their coaching search last year was bizarre and unprecedented. Everything about it was unorthodox. You're trying to insinuate that Lue went into those negotiations acting like some big shot making absurd demands, which is ridiculous. He didn't want some big, remarkable deal. He wanted a respectable deal. And after getting it with the Clippers do you really think he regrets it? His plan worked perfectly. He waited it out for a year and was the most coveted coach on the market and got a respectable deal.
_________________
“Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there."
- John Piper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 4743

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
The fact that Doc got a new job as fast as he did vs someone like Lue taking as long as he did should tell you what tier he's perceived at. If any of the other coaches in the league with a championship got fired today they would immediately get a new job.

He won a Championship in his first year, but the people making decisions clearly don't have too high an opinion of him and as soon as LeBron left and the Cavs started the season poorly he got canned. The way he got the job and how things played out after the first year has really hurt him.

With the Lakers they clearly wanted to align Lue's deal with LeBron's deal.


The Lakers thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice.


And that was clearly a mistake. They thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice for a 3 year offer with their choice of assistants. When he turned that down in a huff Lebron had every opportunity to go to management and get Lue his terms. But he didn’t. Because he knew what Lue was capable of. Instead he had more respect for the coach of the team that pushed him to 7 games in the Eastern Conferemce Finals and turned Hibbert into an all-star.

This isn’t going to end well for the Clippers.

They replaced a player’s coach with a lesser version of the same guy.


You are loco if you think that Lebron wasn’t 100% behind the Lakers hiring Lue.


But when push came to shove Lebron just shrugged his shoulders? I mean Lue wanted 2 more years and his own assistants. Lebron obviously didn’t care enough to push for that. If he really wanted Lue it would have happened. I’m not sure how else to interpret the sequence of events.

In any case it worked out for us because Vogel is a vastly superior coach to Lue. In today’s modern NBA game I don’t think “player’s coaches” are as desirable. I know Lebron likes player’s coaches but the fact of the matter is 3 out of his 4 chips cane from XOs film room rats.

Let’s see what Lue, Chauncey, and Cassell can do to clean up this toxic locker room. But I have low expectations.

According to the players and the staff, Vogel is very much a player’s coach.

Also, the fact that you're sleeping on Lue's X's and O's acumen just shows you're speaking from a place of ignorance about him. His X's and O's are one of his strong suits and why he and LeBron connected so well in Cleveland. This stuff is documented. Even GT and Cranjis spoke highly of Lue's X's and O's when they profiled him last year.
_________________
“Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there."
- John Piper


Last edited by Judah on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 5561

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject:

^

Yes, they weren't 100% sure Vogel would workout either and hence only gave him 3 years and wanted to pick Kidd, Handy as assistants. Finding the right coach has been harder for Lakers traditionally than even signing superstar free agents like Shaq and Bron. Shaq and Kobe weren't gonna win with Del Harris instead of Phil and we had the great Jerry West then. Mitch failed with all the coaching hires except when Phil agreed to return. Lakers had their reasons not to give Lue, Vogel etc five year deals after losing a lot of money on coaches getting fired. Pelinka wanted to be more cautious regarding longterm deals.

They didn't see any sure shot candidate last summer and their offer suggested the same. Now we can extend Vogel with the advantage of hindsight. Mike Brown, MDA, Byron Scott and Luke Walton. Paying them off after sacking must have cost significant money.

Lue got sacked due 0-6 start. It was based on results and not based on vision. He wasn't winning games.
_________________
Showtime 2.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 5561

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
The fact that Doc got a new job as fast as he did vs someone like Lue taking as long as he did should tell you what tier he's perceived at. If any of the other coaches in the league with a championship got fired today they would immediately get a new job.

He won a Championship in his first year, but the people making decisions clearly don't have too high an opinion of him and as soon as LeBron left and the Cavs started the season poorly he got canned. The way he got the job and how things played out after the first year has really hurt him.

With the Lakers they clearly wanted to align Lue's deal with LeBron's deal.


The Lakers thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice.


And that was clearly a mistake. They thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice for a 3 year offer with their choice of assistants. When he turned that down in a huff Lebron had every opportunity to go to management and get Lue his terms. But he didn’t. Because he knew what Lue was capable of. Instead he had more respect for the coach of the team that pushed him to 7 games in the Eastern Conferemce Finals and turned Hibbert into an all-star.

This isn’t going to end well for the Clippers.

They replaced a player’s coach with a lesser version of the same guy.


You are loco if you think that Lebron wasn’t 100% behind the Lakers hiring Lue.


But when push came to shove Lebron just shrugged his shoulders? I mean Lue wanted 2 more years and his own assistants. Lebron obviously didn’t care enough to push for that. If he really wanted Lue it would have happened. I’m not sure how else to interpret the sequence of events.

In any case it worked out for us because Vogel is a vastly superior coach to Lue. In today’s modern NBA game I don’t think “player’s coaches” are as desirable. I know Lebron likes player’s coaches but the fact of the matter is 3 out of his 4 chips cane from XOs film room rats.

Let’s see what Lue, Chauncey, and Cassell can do to clean up this toxic locker room. But I have low expectations.

According to the players and the staff, Vogel is very much a player’s coach.


Vogel is both. Being good at player management can't overlook the fact that he worked his way up from film room like Spo did. His defensive identity is well seen on his Pacers and Lakers team. He got coaching gigs in NBA due to his tactical acumen. He wasn't an ex player like Luke, Lue.
_________________
Showtime 2.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 5561

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject:

As for Lue getting job offers, is that a surprise in the NBA? They love recycling coaches. Byron Scott got Lakers job after Cavs sack. Luke got Sac job as soon as Lakers fired him and he's made them worse. Doc took 2018-19 Clippers to playoffs in the West. I don't think Lue is in the league of Doc as a coach. Let's see what he does with Clippers now. If he flops at Clippers, then he becomes the coach that got sacked twice and offers will reduce.
_________________
Showtime 2.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 11083
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Vogel has never been a vastly superior coach to Lue. I would put both in the top 15 in the league.


Well. we are about to find out, I didn't follow Lue's managerial skills too much, when he was with the Cav's. But, I think the general consensus is that ANY coach that has LeBron on his team, has an implied advantage...

It will be interesting to see how Lue interacts with Kawhi & PG13 and the pieces that fit around them...
_________________
“Always remember... Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 5561

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Vogel has never been a vastly superior coach to Lue. I would put both in the top 15 in the league.


Lol. His Indiana Pacers were a Top 4 team in the league with Roy Hibbert as their second best player. You think they had Top 4 talent? He took Spoelstra's Miami superteam all the way to game 7. If Speolstra is up there with the best, Vogel isn't far off. Spo missed playoffs 3 out of 5 years from 2014-19 too so that should be considered along with Vogel missing playoffs with Magic.
_________________
Showtime 2.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Posts: 3470

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Vogel is top 10 imo and Lue is top 15. The Cavs werent organized when Lue coached them, sure their offense was great but it was mostly iso's for Lebron and Kyrie and shooters all around.

Defensively they looked disorganized, hope he can bring the same type of defense to the clippers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138349
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Vogel has never been a vastly superior coach to Lue. I would put both in the top 15 in the league.


Well. we are about to find out, I didn't follow Lue's managerial skills too much, when he was with the Cav's. But, I think the general consensus is that ANY coach that has LeBron on his team, has an implied advantage...

It will be interesting to see how Lue interacts with Kawhi & PG13 and the pieces that fit around them...


I agree, having Lebron is an immediate advantage. And it will be interesting to see how Lue does in LA.
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Practice
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 4498

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Practice wrote:
The fact that Doc got a new job as fast as he did vs someone like Lue taking as long as he did should tell you what tier he's perceived at. If any of the other coaches in the league with a championship got fired today they would immediately get a new job.

He won a Championship in his first year, but the people making decisions clearly don't have too high an opinion of him and as soon as LeBron left and the Cavs started the season poorly he got canned. The way he got the job and how things played out after the first year has really hurt him.

With the Lakers they clearly wanted to align Lue's deal with LeBron's deal.


The Lakers thought highly enough of him to make him their first choice.

But they didn't offer him Doc money or years, which was the point of the discussion. He also had to take a few years off and become an assistant again despite winning a championship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 4743

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
As for Lue getting job offers, is that a surprise in the NBA? They love recycling coaches. Byron Scott got Lakers job after Cavs sack. Luke got Sac job as soon as Lakers fired him and he's made them worse. Doc took 2018-19 Clippers to playoffs in the West. I don't think Lue is in the league of Doc as a coach. Let's see what he does with Clippers now. If he flops at Clippers, then he becomes the coach that got sacked twice and offers will reduce.

So if he doesn't get job offers, that's an indication that teams don't think highly of him. But when the offers pour in, it means nothing I guess consistency in argumentation isn't a goal of yours.
_________________
“Christ did not die to forgive sinners who go on treasuring anything above seeing and savoring God. And people who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there, will not be there."
- John Piper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB