RIP Quiet Riot drummer Frankie Banali

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: RIP Quiet Riot drummer Frankie Banali

They were a big part of the MTV generation
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

They were the 1st act at US Festival 83 iirc. The Woz concert in Glen Helen/Bdno. Their set wasn't that bad relatively speaking. Dubrow's voice and scream was stable as annoying as it was. Otoh, Vince Neal sounded like dog poo in his set at age 20something. Van Halen was the finale, getting a record million bucks for their set, and they were hammered from drinking all day. Ozzy was Ozzy and Priest/Scorps were good, tho.

http://nightflight.com/wp-content/uploads/US-FESTIVAL-15.jpg
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Triumph was the best act of the day, IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

And Saturday was the day. It's crazy to think that one of the greatest bands ever, The Clash, was essentially the lowest billed band.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

And Saturday was the day. It's crazy to think that one of the greatest bands ever, The Clash, was essentially the lowest billed band.

The early punk bands never really got their due until much later imo.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Always felt glam metal got kind of a bad rap. Some of it still holds up very well. I’ll throw on Dokken, Ratt, early Crüe, Scorpions or Winger records every now and again. Yeah I like Winger, go ahead laugh it up. Never really got into Quiet Riot but I always dug their singles (Metal Health, Come On Feel The Noize etc). Solid band. Sad to hear about Frankie, R.I.P.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Triumph was a surprise. They didn't get the billing any of those other acts got, at least their footage is on YT among the rest. Two of my older sibs went to Metal Day ("metal" in the 1983 sense of the word) and were lucky to make it out alive and didn't get separated, crushed, or heat stroked. Neither of them remembered anything about the technology tent that you see in footage/docus/YT stuff about the event. Wozniak claimed he set the record for most porta-potties at any concert ever.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of 80s music, there's a current Showtime chan docu on The Go-Go's that's pretty interesting. Female didn't matter because they went thru all the standard band stuff. They had the money squabbles because the 2 songwriters in the group made a lot more than the rest, they had the heroin addict, and the egocentric lead singer, and the squabbles, and the break-ups, etc. Forgot how many hits they had besides We Got The Beat and Our Lips Are Sealed.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Triumph was a surprise. They didn't get the billing any of those other acts got, at least their footage is on YT among the rest

I was already a fan, and had seen them before & since. BTW, Rik Emmett (singer & guitarist) is still performing (or at least he was before COVID). Caught him at the Coach House a couple years ago. My wife, who didn't really know who he was, and went because you do things for your spouse, said it was the best performance she ever saw in a small venue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Speaking of 80s music, there's a current Showtime chan docu on The Go-Go's that's pretty interesting. Female didn't matter because they went thru all the standard band stuff. They had the money squabbles because the 2 songwriters in the group made a lot more than the rest, they had the heroin addict, and the egocentric lead singer, and the squabbles, and the break-ups, etc. Forgot how many hits they had besides We Got The Beat and Our Lips Are Sealed.

There's also a great Marc Maron interview with Kathy Valentine that covers the whole Go-Gos arc as well as her her life outside the band.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Very underrated band, one of my favorites from that time period.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

You also had Roth talking smack about The Clash the next day during pressers, saying they drank tea out of JD bottles on stage and were a minute late at saving the world at the zero hour, etc. I don't know what his beef was, but I've seen some of his interviews for MTV, one of which where he balanced a Solo cup on his head. He was blitzed, had to resort to his, "I forgot the Faaah-bleep words!" thing in VH's opening song tho with excellent comedic timing. VH had mailed in the fantastic concerts by the end of 81, tho, the bloat had started to creep in. The Clash already had a great repertoire before Rock The Casbah, their big 1983 hit. I liked both those bands. Punk or not, The Clash were highly accessible. Maybe you could even say that about The Sex Pistols, but they were such aholes that they were destined to explode. That's not generally a good thing for punk acts. The Go-Go's talked about that, they apparently began as a (bad) punk band and got all the standard criticism for selling out.

Did Wall Of Voodoo have another song besides Mexican Radio? Their set must've been short. I know even The Seagulls had 2 hits (besides I Ran was Space Aged Love Song).
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

There's also a great Marc Maron interview with Kathy Valentine that covers the whole Go-Gos arc as well as her her life outside the band.

She seemed very down to earth to me out of the rest of them. I was never a fan per se, tho I'm still fond of 80s music, even the corny stuff. However, you get an appreciation of how unheard of an all-female group was in 81 when they set out. You had mixed bands and lead singers like Chrissy Hynde or Pat Benatar, but not all female. They behaved more like dudes looking to score drugs and sex, which helps their cred int these retrospectives now. No band wants to sound like they had no grit, no matter how poppy their songs might've been.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

You also had Roth talking smack about The Clash the next day during pressers, saying they drank tea out of JD bottles on stage and were a minute late at saving the world at the zero hour, etc. I don't know what his beef was, but I've seen some of his interviews for MTV, one of which where he balanced a Solo cup on his head. He was blitzed, had to resort to his, "I forgot the Faaah-bleep words!" thing in VH's opening song tho with excellent comedic timing. VH had mailed in the fantastic concerts by the end of 81, tho, the bloat had started to creep in. The Clash already had a great repertoire before Rock The Casbah, their big 1983 hit. I liked both those bands. Punk or not, The Clash were highly accessible. Maybe you could even say that about The Sex Pistols, but they were such aholes that they were destined to explode. That's not generally a good thing for punk acts. The Go-Go's talked about that, they apparently began as a (bad) punk band and got all the standard criticism for selling out.

Did Wall Of Voodoo have another song besides Mexican Radio? Their set must've been short. I know even The Seagulls had 2 hits (besides I Ran was Space Aged Love Song).

Early VH days were great and Roth was a great showman in those early concert days, but he was a huge dick in that way that indicates bug insecurities deep down.

The Clash's best stuff was pre-Combat Rock for sure. Those first four albums were four of the best albums of the late 70's: The Clash, Give 'Em Enough Rope, London Calling, Sandinista! Hell, those last two were really 5 albums in themselves and had very little fluff. Sandanista! is an amazing album.

As for Wall of Voodoo. They didn't have a deep discography and multiple hits, but they were the real deal. They had my favorite cover of "Ring of Fire" and "Call of the West", "Far Side of Crazy" and Big City" were good singles that didn't chart.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

She seemed very down to earth to me out of the rest of them. I was never a fan per se, tho I'm still fond of 80s music, even the corny stuff. However, you get an appreciation of how unheard of an all-female group was in 81 when they set out. You had mixed bands and lead singers like Chrissy Hynde or Pat Benatar, but not all female. They behaved more like dudes looking to score drugs and sex, which helps their cred int these retrospectives now. No band wants to sound like they had no grit, no matter how poppy their songs might've been.

And was pretty well respected by some of the heavy-weights whom she played with outside of the Go-Gos stuff.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Love this one, Mule:

Gimme yer top Clash songs, top 5 plus, however many you wanna.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Love this one, Mule:

Hard to narrow it down to a top 5. So many great ones. Here's 10 of my favorites (in no particular order - and leaving many out):

Complete Control

I Fought the Law
(One of the greatest covers ever IMHO)

White Riot

The Magnificent Seven

(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais

Somebody Got Murdered

Hitsville UK

I'm So Bored with the USA

The Call Up

Career Opportunities

Bonus track: Career Opportunities: Sandanista Version
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
songs

Thx, mostly more "obscure" titles, I'm gonna check these out. Thx for formatting them.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Charlie Don't Surf

Armagideon Time

Pressure Drop

The Magnificent Seven

Clampdown
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
songs

Thx, mostly more "obscure" titles, I'm gonna check these out. Thx for formatting them.

There's some great stuff on their more established albums. I mean London Calling is an iconic album. But I think their more interesting stuff is on those early albums and Sandanista.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Punk deteriorated when it went mainstream, which corresponds when the high-schoolers and major labels seized it and made it a cliche. Everyone forgot both the message and the original messengers like Patti Smith's Piss Factory, or the Ramones. At its roots, it was raw, without either the use of synthesizers or the conformist, accented quarter-beats of disco. It made you feel energy and anxiety, unlike the snooze-fest of mellow rock. It was a protest movement against the music of the major labels before the major labels learned to use it as a tool to extract every high-school kid's weekly allowance. That's when it became just another consumer packaged good, like disco.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Punk deteriorated when it went mainstream, which corresponds when the high-schoolers and major labels seized it and made it a cliche. Everyone forgot both the message and the original messengers like Patti Smith's Piss Factory, or the Ramones. At its roots, it was raw, without either the use of synthesizers or the conformist, accented quarter-beats of disco. It made you feel energy and anxiety, unlike the snooze-fest of mellow rock. It was a protest movement against the music of the major labels before the major labels learned to use it as a tool to extract every high-school kid's weekly allowance. That's when it became just another consumer packaged good, like disco.

Yeah, punk gave way to new-wave, which was more polished and commercial. Weirdly, I kind of like the new-wave bands more.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: