Play of the game: Fans pull off sneak Last in a series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Play of the game: Fans pull off sneak Last in a series

Quote:
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
John Campanelli
Plain Dealer Reporter
Glendale, Ariz. -- The road trip of a lifetime just became the road trip of legends.

Ohio State seniors Will Manzeo of Cleveland and Anthony Florig of Youngstown pulled what might have been the most stunning play of the night.

Without tickets -- which were going for $1,300 each on the sidewalk outside -- they sneaked past security and into the BCS National Championship Game.

Then, just before kickoff, they joined their buddy and fellow OSU student Dave Skutnik, who had a ticket, inside the stadium. All three hopped around as if on pogo sticks, fist-bumping, whooping it up and high-fiving each other.

You can't blame them for being elated.

They had skipped a week of class and traveled more than 3,000 miles, making stops in St. Louis to tour the Busch brewery, in Vegas to party and gamble, and in Hollywood to watch a taping of "The Price Is Right."

Watching their Buckeyes in person was better than any bet they had made or any chance of being called to "Come on down!" to see Bob Barker.

"We did it!" screamed Anthony.

Here's how:

To accommodate smokers, the stadium opened an outdoor concession stand, which was surrounded by sections of temporary metal fencing. The door between the food area and the stadium was manned by a security guard, who checked tickets of folks coming back into the stadium.

Will and Anthony spotted a tiny opening in the fence.

"We slipped by the fence and got into the outdoor concessions," said Anthony.

"We just did this," he added, dancing a little side-step.

Half the battle was won. Now they had to get past the guard at the door.

Dave, who had joined them in the concession area (cell phones were the walkie-talkies in this scheme), then made a crucial discovery.

"Anthony told me, We gotta wait to go in,' " said Dave. "I said, No, the security guard is in the bathroom!' "

Then, they said, they just walked in.

"You didn't think we could do it, did you?" said Will. "We did it! We did it!"

The guys then left to enjoy the game and savor the road trip -- and story -- of a lifetime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
NappyFox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Now they're just self-incrimnating themselves.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject:

NappyFox wrote:
Now they're just self-incrimnating themselves.
Actually they did

Quote:
Student told to pay for bowl game ticket
Also gets community service for sneaking in
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
John Campanelli
Plain Dealer Reporter
It looks as if an Ohio State student who crashed the gates to see the BCS football title game in Arizona is going to have to pay for a ticket after all.

Anthony Florig of Youngstown sneaked into the Jan. 8 game in Glendale, Ariz., with another student, Will Manzeo of Cleveland. Their game-day exploits -- and the antics of their trip out West -- were documented in a series of articles in The Plain Dealer.

Last week, the university informed Florig and Manzeo that they were being investigated for possibly violating OSU's student code of conduct.

Florig said he met with his hearing officer Monday and admitted sneaking into the game.

"I was expecting that she would tell me that I'd probably get a formal reprimand," Florig said. "Maybe some sort of probation."

Instead she told him that his likely penalties are probation, restitution in the amount of the game-ticket price ($185) and community service equal to the hours of class he missed (the guys missed almost two weeks of school).

"I'm a little flabbergasted right now," he said just after the meeting.

OSU spokeswoman Ruth Gerstner refused to comment on the case but confirmed that, in general, when restitution is paid, it goes "to the party harmed." In this case, that would be the Bowl Championship Series.

Florig said that before the game, he wanted to pay for a ticket but didn't have the opportunity because so few were allotted to the students.

"If they try to charge me that, I'm seriously going to have to protest," he said.

Manzeo, who has transferred to Cleveland State but still needs OSU to release his grades, has not yet met with university officials.

OWNED
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: