2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Yeah - I'll be honest. This team has had such a long history of post-season failures in the past decade, that even though I'll be bummed if we lose, I won't be as bummed as previous seasons, and will be able to move on quicker.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
srm90 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
this team needs a makeover if the season ends tonight. i'm all for Joe Maddon take it over for Roberts. trade Jansen for anything more than a bag of chips. trade Kershaw to teams like Boston (will be active in off season coming off a disappointing season), or Padres (always like Dodger's leftovers).

There's a 0.00% chance of any of that happening regardless of what happens this postseason.

I actually don't think there's a 0% chance of a Jansen trade. We'd just have to eat some money, but I don't think that one is impossible. Kershaw, yeah, that's not happening, as it's pretty clear that he's basically viewed as a legacy Dodger. And if Roberts got the axe, they would bring in another yes man, not someone with the cache of Maddon. And Maddon is overrated anyway.

Jansen has become such a distraction so I can see Freidman basically paying a team to take him, so I think that happens. Kershaw: no. He'll retire a Dodger.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Yeah - I'll be honest. This team has had such a long history of post-season failures in the past decade, that even though I'll be bummed if we lose, I won't be as bummed as previous seasons, and will be able to move on quicker.

I didn't watch a lot of American League ball this season, but does anyone think they're good enough to beat the Yankees or the Astros?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I didn't watch a lot of American League ball this season, but does anyone think they're good enough to beat the Yankees or the Astros?

The Astros weren't a better team than us in '17 and they won. And even though Boston had the better team last season, think about how it could've gone the other way: Ryan Madson spits the bit in both Games 1 and 2 (great managing there!), we use Grandal over Freese in late game PH situations (more great managing!), we win Game 3, and we're up by 3 runs in Game 4 in the 7th inning.

You just have to stay alive and see what happens.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I didn't watch a lot of American League ball this season, but does anyone think they're good enough to beat the Yankees or the Rays?

FIFY
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

if Dodgers season ends tonight, i want Astros' end tomorrow. that's the team i hate the most right now, more so than the Red Sox who beat us last year.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

The thing is there have been so many heartbreaking moments since 2008 that we're used to it. I feel like we've had more bad moments over that span than a lot of the other teams combined. Eventually we have to break through though. I think this is it. But as Michael Scott once said, "No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again."
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Absolutely. And that's what I love about baseball, all the teams in the playoffs can beat each other. Sure some are better than others but maybe their ace has an off night or their bats just can't get going. A game and series can change on one play that goes the right way.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

The thing is there have been so many heartbreaking moments since 2008 that we're used to it. I feel like we've had more bad moments over that span than a lot of the other teams combined. Eventually we have to break through though. I think this is it. But as Michael Scott once said, "No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again."

I know, right?!? It's like the law of averages have to finally go our way soon enough.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

It feels that way because we've been in the playoffs and won the division for 7 straight years now. I don't think the other NL West teams feel like we're cursed.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

It feels that way because we've been in the playoffs and won the division for 7 straight years now. I don't think the other NL West teams feel like we're cursed.

Honestly I think they enjoy when we make the postseason because they know it's gonna end in a trainwreck that they can laugh at. Obviously they're rather their team make it but this aint a bad consolation prize for this. No prize for them this year though
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Lineup:

Pederson RF
Muncy 2B
Turner 3B
Bellinger CF
Beaty 1B
Seager SS
Hernández LF
Smith C
Buehler P

I like that there's no Pollock or Lux, but I wish we would start Freese and forget the splits with him. He's our most clutch hitter other than Turner. He needs more than a pinch hit AB in a Game 5. I'm good with Kike though, he came up big during that 7 run rally.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Honestly I think they enjoy when we make the postseason because they know it's gonna end in a trainwreck that they can laugh at. Obviously they're rather their team make it but this aint a bad consolation prize for this. No prize for them this year though

Yeah, as a SF Giant hater, I kinda enjoy seeing their team fumbling around these last few years.

I don't know if I'd enjoy it more to see them make the playoffs and lose
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
Lineup:

Pederson RF
Muncy 2B
Turner 3B
Bellinger CF
Beaty 1B
Seager SS
Hernández LF
Smith C
Buehler P

I like that there's no Pollock or Lux, but I wish we would start Freese and forget the splits with him. He's our most clutch hitter other than Turner. He needs more than a pinch hit AB in a Game 5. I'm good with Kike though, he came up big during that 7 run rally.

It's ridiculous, they need to just let Freese hit against everyone. Roberts said that the reason he's not starting is that they want to save him for a potential PH appearance against Doolittle or Corbin. How about just letting him hit against everyone?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

The Astros weren't a better team than us in '17 and they won. And even though Boston had the better team last season, think about how it could've gone the other way: Ryan Madson spits the bit in both Games 1 and 2 (great managing there!), we use Grandal over Freese in late game PH situations (more great managing!), we win Game 3, and we're up by 3 runs in Game 4 in the 7th inning.

You just have to stay alive and see what happens.

Yep in short, it's baseball. ANYTHING can happen in a series.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
srm90 wrote:
Lineup:

Pederson RF
Muncy 2B
Turner 3B
Bellinger CF
Beaty 1B
Seager SS
Hernández LF
Smith C
Buehler P

It's ridiculous, they need to just let Freese hit against everyone. Roberts said that the reason he's not starting is that they want to save him for a potential PH appearance against Doolittle or Corbin. How about just letting him hit against everyone?

Agreed. It's stupid and I hope it doesn't cost us. Beaty has been good this year but Freese is a proven winner in the playoffs.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
srm90 wrote:
Lineup:

Pederson RF
Muncy 2B
Turner 3B
Bellinger CF
Beaty 1B
Seager SS
Hernández LF
Smith C
Buehler P

Agreed. It's stupid and I hope it doesn't cost us. Beaty has been good this year but Freese is a proven winner in the playoffs.

The choice isn't between Beaty and Freese though.

It's Kike vs. Freese.

Beaty could play LF

Saving Freese for a PH role is stupid.

One thing Roberts hates to do - is just do the obvious...

I could do a whole stand up routine based on this.

Obviously, it's stupid to bat Dozier leadoff....
Obviously, it's stupid to bring Ryan Madsen into high leverage situations...

I mean, think about this. Beaty sits the whole series, now in the elimination game, he bats 5th. Just weird decisions.

You'd think that any guy good enough to bat 5th for you in an elimination game shouldn't have been riding the bench in the other games. Just saying.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

^
Madson didn't work out in Game 1 last year, but I can at least defend that. Veteran guy with a lot of postseason experience. OK, you brought him in and it didn't work. But after the game he said he was bothered by the cold conditions, didn't quite feel the ball in his hand, something to that effect. So...they bring him back into a tough spot in Game 2 LOL. That is indefensible.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
Lineup:

Pederson RF
Muncy 2B
Turner 3B
Bellinger CF
Beaty 1B
Seager SS
Hernández LF
Smith C
Buehler P

Hey I almost got it right, just swapped Beaty for Freese. I like this. Plus Freese can come in later in the game for a big PH spot.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Madson didn't work out in Game 1 last year, but I can at least defend that. Veteran guy with a lot of postseason experience. OK, you brought him in and it didn't work. But after the game he said he was bothered by the cold conditions, didn't quite feel the ball in his hand, something to that effect. So...they bring him back into a tough spot in Game 2 LOL. That is indefensible.

He was let go by the Nationals. We picked him up, he pitched 8ip for us, had a 6.48 ERA and then in the playoffs we were bringing him into every high leverage situation having the utmost trust in him.

And this year, he's out of the league - can't find a job. Go figure.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

While I would start Freese too I don't think it's indefensible to save him for PH. This way we know we have our most clutch hitter available for the moment we need him. Maybe he comes in as early as the 4th and still gets 2 or 3 ab's.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
While I would start Freese too I don't think it's indefensible to save him for PH. This way we know we have our most clutch hitter available for the moment we need him. Maybe he comes in as early as the 4th and still gets 2 or 3 ab's.

Problem with that theory is:

1) He's not really a defensive replacement, so it wouldn't make sense to bring him in early to replace another player

2) If he's batting for Buehler by the 4th, we're screwed

3) Strasburg is a righty. He wouldn't come in unless Strasburg gets in trouble and they bring in a lefty - which is probably Corbin. If Strasburg gets in trouble, then the offense is working and no point in bringing in Freese to replace another player (unless it's for a righty-lefty matchup).
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
Lineup:

Pederson RF
Muncy 2B
Turner 3B
Bellinger CF
Beaty 1B
Seager SS
Hernández LF
Smith C
Buehler P

No Freese?
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I was hoping to have Freese get more at bats instead of needing him for a clutch at bat --
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Roberts is a (bleep) moron.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 169 of 248
Jump to: