Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I don't know what to think of the guy on defense, but I haven't seen a big man with as natural of a shooting touch as Bol Bol since Dirk:

Right now I'm trying hard to convince myself Bol isn't the #2 pick behind Zion.

wow....personally, I would stay away from him....I feel like everything he does well, he could do just as well if he was 6'5"...like I do not really see the benefit in his height. It is cool to see him so tall and be able to dribble down the court and pull up.....but couldn't he get the same shots if he was much shorter? He seems to be a mess on defense to me.....his only move/benefit he offers on defense is standing near the rim with his hands up, because every time I see him try to defend a person, it does not go well.

I mean, I can guard the 6'5 guy with a 6'7 guy and leave my Rudy Gobert type to hang around the paint all game further limiting my 6'5 guy from getting easier shots at the rim.

On Bol's defense, I'd be willing to give him a chance. There are times he looks like Mitchell Robinson out there - dumb, but scary athletic and coordinated - and other times he looks like he's going to trip over his own feet. With young, coltish guys like that - JJJ, Ingram, baby Gobert - I give them a little benefit of the doubt that they'll get more comfortable in their bodies as they mature even if they don't bulk up a ton. I mean, his defensive motor doesn't seem any worse than Ayton's at Arizona while posting a pretty insane 15% stocks rate, and I value Bol's offense more than I do Ayton's.

Where would you rank Ayton in this class if he could be magically transported back to college this season as a 19 year old freshman?
Kobe2Lonz0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Boston has 4 1st Round picks this year? No way do they make 4 selections in the 1st round and keep them.

They better not
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Boston has 4 1st Round picks this year? No way do they make 4 selections in the 1st round and keep them.

Not a great draft for overseas guys, either. Hard to draft n' stash like they did in 2016.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Not a great draft for overseas guys, either. Hard to draft n' stash like they did in 2016.

How about talent of the draft though?

All four are bunched around 20th. Could a GM see those picks as a foundation for a rebuild?

Ainge could add a player ( Hayward / $30m?) or two to a trade and change a couple franchises if he chooses.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Where would you rank Ayton in this class if he could be magically transported back to college this season as a 19 year old freshman?

He would be in discussion for #1 in this draft also in my opinion....just feel like he is more of a sure thing than anyone in this draft.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
adkindo wrote:

All four are bunched around 20th. Could a GM see those picks as a foundation for a rebuild?

Ainge could add a player ( Hayward / $30m?) or two to a trade and change a couple franchises if he chooses.

Hayward will need to improve his numbers before teams are going to be eager to take that contract. With so many others on the roster wanting to eat, it might take a while.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

Bol is a polarizing prospect. I’m on the negative pole.. Too high hip’d + skinny +slow to do what he likes at the next level. He likes to drive a bit, an NBA big is stifling that with a nudge, his shot is also slow despite the nice touch
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

He would be in discussion for #1 in this draft also in my opinion....just feel like he is more of a sure thing than anyone in this draft.

Same for me. I'd probably have Zion ahead of him, but I would be more comfortable with Ayton at #2 than Reddish, Little, or even Barrett to this point.

And since I value Bol's game as much if not more than I value Ayton's game - though he has a scarier floor - I'm starting to feel pretty good about also nudging Bol ahead of Barrett, Little, and Reddish. Or we could go back to Markkanen in 2017 - he went #7 in what at the time looked like a better, deeper draft (it still may be) and he didn't bring Bol's rim protection or even his okay-ish rebounding. Obviously Markkanen's shot is prettier and quicker, but if Bol ends up a 55/40-45/80 shooter at the end of the year (he's currently at 56/55/75) with superior defensive #s, why shouldn't he be valued as much or more than Markkanen?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Bol is a polarizing prospect. I’m on the negative pole.. Too high hip’d + skinny +slow to do what he likes at the next level. He likes to drive a bit, an NBA big is stifling that with a nudge, his shot is also slow despite the nice touch

He can't dribble into a 25-foot three at the NBA level at 7'2?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

How would you guys describe the pros and cons comparing Bol Bol to Porzingis?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Same for me. I'd probably have Zion ahead of him, but I would be more comfortable with Ayton at #2 than Reddish, Little, or even Barrett to this point.

And since I value Bol's game as much if not more than I value Ayton's game - though he has a scarier floor - I'm starting to feel pretty good about also nudging Bol ahead of Barrett, Little, and Reddish. Or we could go back to Markkanen in 2017 - he went #7 in what at the time looked like a better, deeper draft (it still may be) and he didn't bring Bol's rim protection or even his okay-ish rebounding. Obviously Markkanen's shot is prettier and quicker, but if Bol ends up a 55/40-45/80 shooter at the end of the year (he's currently at 56/55/75) with superior defensive #s, why shouldn't he be valued as much or more than Markkanen?

How far down would Doncic be if he was in this draft?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

His shot is slow and w a bit of a low pocket, and I doubt he’ll get seperation to shoot that 3. And I don’t think he can play the 5 - Porzingis and AD didn’t like playing the 5. Bol is way way thinner w worse base..
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Hayward will need to improve his numbers before teams are going to be eager to take that contract. With so many others on the roster wanting to eat, it might take a while.

I mentioned Hayward because he seems to be the odd man out at the moment. But could be any of the Celtic players to create some salary for a marquee player.

My question is more concerning the quality of the talent in this draft likely to be available with those four picks. Could a GM see them as an opportunity to rebuild and trade away a disgruntled or soon to hit free agency AllStar. Even as a chance to revamp an aging roster stuck in a revolving door of just making the playoffs but never serious contenders.

Or on the other hand, a weak draft that four picks in the 20s has very little value? Need draft guru help here.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I'd have him at #1 slightly ahead of Zion. If Zion shows more perimeter shooting as the year goes on, he would edge ahead of Luka. I would've rated Luka just ahead of Simmons, KAT, and Embiid, as well.

ETA - I'm thinking over the past few drafts I would put my top picks in the following order (including Zion):

AD>>Luka>Embiid>KAT>Simmons>Zion>JJJ>Fultz>Zo>Wiggins>Young

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

His shot is slow and w a bit of a low pocket, and I doubt he’ll get seperation to shoot that 3. And I don’t think he can play the 5 - Porzingis and AD didn’t like playing the 5. Bol is way way thinner w worse base..

He can't raise his release point? And if someone is coming out to pick him up at 25 feet, you don't think he can get around that guy with his stride length?

Defense remains the issue, but it seems like the two biggest problems with his frame will be post defense and boxing out. I don't really care about the former, but the latter does concern me and will be something I monitor throughout the season.

Lastly, this is a tepid, shallow, uninspiring draft outside of Zion. Bol has a low floor, but compared to a wing who can't pass worth (bleep) in Little, an unrepentant chucker with a shaky three and lazy defense in Barrett, or a talented wallflower in Reddish, I don't know that the balance of Bol's strengths and weaknesses don't make him the more worthwhile gamble at the top of the draft (non-Zion edition).
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

They won't keep them all, especially with Kings, Grizzlies and Clippers doing better than expected. If they can't pack a 2-for-1 to climb in the draft board, they better flip it for a pick next year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
adkindo wrote:

They won't keep them all, especially with Kings, Grizzlies and Clippers doing better than expected. If they can't pack a 2-for-1 to climb in the draft board, they better flip it for a pick next year.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see what Rozier and 1-2 of those picks can bring back.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Zion's FT shooting is his biggest issue. That shot is a frozen rope.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

Zion showed last night why he is a true show stopper now, and I think will be "the next big thing" in the NBA...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I know it is kind of a cop out....but like Ayton, he is up there in the discussion for the #1-#3 pick in my opinion. I like Zion a lot, but I am definitely not as confident in his ceiling as most in this thread.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't know what to think of the guy on defense, but I haven't seen a big man with as natural of a shooting touch as Bol Bol since Dirk:

Right now I'm trying hard to convince myself Bol isn't the #2 pick behind Zion.

I flip on him constantly, but when I think of him as an exaggerated Brandon Ingram, it starts making so much more sense.

The thing is, if a team were to hide his weaknesses, they're very specific.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

I wouldn't really. Bol Bol's skills are all or nothing, like Lonzo in PnR vs. Lonzo's transition passing.

The difference for me is, Bol Bol doesn't have Porzingis's twitch. Just a hyper smooth athlete that might trip over his own feet. Terrible man-defender (who does he actually defend next level?) but could be a stud help defender, push the break, and make transition 3s. What do you do with that?

Then you come across the potential health issues with players of that height/length combination and don't seem to have great lower base for their frames...

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

He'd still be #1 IMHO.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I wouldn't really. Bol Bol's skills are all or nothing, like Lonzo in PnR vs. Lonzo's transition passing.

The difference for me is, Bol Bol doesn't have Porzingis's twitch. Just a hyper smooth athlete that might trip over his own feet. Terrible man-defender (who does he actually defend next level?) but could be a stud help defender, push the break, and make transition 3s. What do you do with that?

Then you come across the potential health issues with players of that height/length combination and don't seem to have great lower base for their frames...

Bol is the superior passer and ball-handler by age, though as KiROE notes above, his high hips and thin frame could mean his dribble drive game gets neutralized by stronger players who can bump him off his spot.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

So you are saying he's like a Great Dane or Ralph Sampson?

Good for about 5 years...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 15 of 441
Jump to: