Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
ocho wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:
I personally would never think to say Ching Chong, but I wouldn't think it would be a big thing.

That's funny, because that's EXACTLY how a racist thinks. :roll:

you should be more careful throwing that word around.

Don't worry, I'm very well-versed in discussions on racism.

well by labelling anybody and everybody a racist..i'd say that's correct.

I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion...even if it's fueled by falsehoods.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

There is a difference between identifying comments as being bigoted and labelling people as racists. If Rosie wants to admit what she said was in poor taste and offer profuse apologies to anyone she may have offended, it would be appropriate. If she went to Chinese community leaders and apologized, I know they would be gracious to her. To laugh it off as just her perverted sense of humor is not appropriate. The fellow from Seinfeld at least didn't leave the impression that mocking people for their ethnicity was okay. It isn't okay. People who make their living by being celebrities must realize that their celebrity pays the bills, but misdeeds can end the popularity that makes it possible.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
There is a difference between identifying comments as being bigoted and labelling people as racists. If Rosie wants to admit what she said was in poor taste and offer profuse apologies to anyone she may have offended, it would be appropriate. If she went to Chinese community leaders and apologized, I know they would be gracious to her. To laugh it off as just her perverted sense of humor is not appropriate. The fellow from Seinfeld at least didn't leave the impression that mocking people for their ethnicity was okay. It isn't okay. People who make their living by being celebrities must realize that their celebrity pays the bills, but misdeeds can end the popularity that makes it possible.

i think there was a big difference between what rosie said and what richards said. big difference.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Rosie chooses to blow off criticism after she repeatedly mocked Chinese. She needs to apologize.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Donald Trump can be tasteless, but Rosie is a &*$^pig with a Capital S.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject:

i will say this again. lets take Rosie out of the equation.

granted i dont hear "ching chong" or "ching, chang, chong" nearly as much as i use to growing up. like i said earlier. its no different then other people imitating black guys by saying, "yo, yo, yo". of course every black guy doesn't talk like that. but so what. some portion of that joke is true.

do black folks in general like chicken? YES. not all. but in general? YES. and? So what. I'm black and I'm tell it like it is big deal. so if someone says it. So what. truth is truth. nothing wrong with that.

do a lot of asians in general eat rice? The asians I've ran into do. take it how you want to. but thats truth. my asian homies wont go off thinking its racist for me to say they eat rice. because its true. now if i say it in a way to try and be a racist bigot. thats a different story. But if I mean no malice. its all in fun. playing with our cultures. we our blessed in america especially here in California or New York and few other states/cities. we have a very diverse community.

at some point you have to be able to laugh off each others differences.
I have and had asian friends throughout my life. that have called out other asians for pushing RICE rockets. now the first time i heard the term was from a friend of mine (who was asian). I was afraid to laugh. because I didn't want to offend him. BUt he told me, why act like it aint so. when it is true.

same as other races mocking whites by trying to speak extra proper. should the entire white race be in an uproar? NO. cause some part of the joke is truth. and its all in fun. i think its your hate for Rosie that has you over thinking it. maybe its something else. who knows.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:

granted i dont hear "ching chong" or "ching, chang, chong" nearly as much as i use to growing up. like i said earlier. its no different then other people imitating black guys by saying, "yo, yo, yo". of course every black guy doesn't talk like that. but so what. some portion of that joke is true.

do black folks in general like chicken? YES. not all. but in general? YES. and? So what. I'm black and I'm tell it like it is big deal. so if someone says it. So what. truth is truth. nothing wrong with that.

do a lot of asians in general eat rice? The asians I've ran into do. take it how you want to. but thats truth. my asian homies wont go off thinking its racist for me to say they eat rice. because its true. now if i say it in a way to try and be a racist bigot. thats a different story. But if I mean no malice. its all in fun. playing with our cultures. we our blessed in america especially here in California or New York and few other states/cities. we have a very diverse community.

I have and had asian friends throughout my life. that have called out other asians for pushing RICE rockets. now the first time i heard the term was from a friend of mine (who was asian). I was afraid to laugh. because I didn't want to offend him. BUt he told me, why act like it aint so. when it is true.

same as other races mocking whites by trying to speak extra proper. should the entire white race be in an uproar? NO. cause some part of the joke is truth. and its all in fun. i think its your hate for Rosie that has you over thinking it. maybe its something else. who knows.

I understand what you're saying here, but there's a big difference. You're pretty much describing your interactions with friends. Friends can make all sorts of outrageous and otherwise offensive remarks in front of each other because they are friends. They know the remarks you are making are not coming from a bad place. I can take it as a joke from many people and I've exchanged barbs with friends where they might do something like that and I don't take offense to it because I know them.

However, if you were to go on national television and make similar remarks, you'd find a different reaction. Basically, same with Rosie. I don't know her and she's not my friend. She may be racist, she may not. But at the very least, her comments are offensive to me because she's saying them nationally and propogating the the negative charicature of all asian people popularized by Charlie Chan in the 50's. Yeah, I know that'll get a lot of eye-rolls, but really that's what's going on. And if you saw the clip you heard the whole flock of sheep audience applauding and laughing. I don't appreciate her making fun of the way my people talk and basically telling a national audience it's OK to do that. Those of you saying it's not a big deal and to relax are somewhat right - it's a solitary incident and by itself, I couldn't care less. It's what it leads and snowballs into that bothers me.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Rosie is the C word... with a BIG, HUGE, MASSIVE... C

I wouldn't piss on her, if she was on fire.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

She's Canadian?
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps it is OK to make fun of someone for something that is accurate. The problem is that people are such MORONS that they don't even try to understand diddly in terms of what the Chinese language is. Those people are blissfully ignorant, and enjoy rolling around in diarrhea because they really don't know any better.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

What Rosie said wasn't racist. If she was making fun of anyone she was making fun of Western people, and how Mandarin (or any other Chinese dialect) sounds to us. Very much the same as what Shaq did when he made his fake Chinese challenge to Yao Ming (and with very much the same reaction from people looking for reasons to attack the Lakers).

Here's a youtube reaction to Rosie's "Ching chong" debacle from a very intelligent guy who happens to be asian american (that I happen to agree with, most of the time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf_aGWlU2P4

As for what Rosie said about Donald, and vice versa, I just view that as a couple of New Yorkers having at it. (Does that insult the feelings of the people of New York City?) Much ado about nothing.

I'm more concerned about the situation in the Middle East. Hell, I'm more concerned about how the Lakers are doing in the NBA.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
JD wrote:

She's Canadian?

Eh?
KRC
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Rosie got OWNED
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

I understand what you're saying here, but there's a big difference. You're pretty much describing your interactions with friends. Friends can make all sorts of outrageous and otherwise offensive remarks in front of each other because they are friends. They know the remarks you are making are not coming from a bad place. I can take it as a joke from many people and I've exchanged barbs with friends where they might do something like that and I don't take offense to it because I know them.

However, if you were to go on national television and make similar remarks, you'd find a different reaction. Basically, same with Rosie. I don't know her and she's not my friend. She may be racist, she may not. But at the very least, her comments are offensive to me because she's saying them nationally and propogating the the negative charicature of all asian people popularized by Charlie Chan in the 50's. Yeah, I know that'll get a lot of eye-rolls, but really that's what's going on. And if you saw the clip you heard the whole flock of sheep audience applauding and laughing. I don't appreciate her making fun of the way my people talk and basically telling a national audience it's OK to do that. Those of you saying it's not a big deal and to relax are somewhat right - it's a solitary incident and by itself, I couldn't care less. It's what it leads and snowballs into that bothers me.

i hear what you're saying. but notice what i mentioned in the beginning. its nothing worse then comedians or anyone getting up in front of an audience going, "yo, yo, yo" to imitate black guys. Its been done numerous times. and no one has called the Naacp beause of it. because its no big deal.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Although there are cases when less harmful terms are used in a friendly spirit, there are also some cases when a non-African American does use the "N"-word and says he's just imitating African Americans mocking other African Americans. It doesn't matter that he heard it from African Americans, but was just imitating what he had heard. It's still offensive when a non-African American uses the "N"-word and directs it towards an African American. Personally, I would rather that the "N"-word never be used towards African Americans, even if it is by other African Americans. It is demeaning in any case. Rev. Jesse Jackson is encouraging everyone not to use those terms, because it always carries negative connotations. There is a difference between that and some well meaning, but misguided non-African American trying to use ebonics. There are people who say the use of the "N"-word is not offensive, but I would not put myself in the position of judging what is offensive for everyone. If someone tells me the use of the "N"-word is offensive, I'll take his word for it. I find it offensive. If my Chinese friends tell me they are offended by Rosie, I also take their word for it that being mocked is offensive. I'm not going to minimize them by ignoring their offense. I'm not going to accept it can be blown off as humor. I will insist people apologize. If people can't treat each other with civility, I will do everything in my power to discipline them. Everyone must be treated as equals. Being a comedian doesn't let you off the hook any more than that fellow from Seinfeld is off the hook. At least he apologized for his offensive comments. That's more than I can say for Rosie.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:

rosie and donald are two ppl wh take themselves waaaaaay too serouisly and she's like some sorta lesbian militant no offence to anyone but she scares the heck outta me sometimes

RIP Jayden Odom
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: