Rear-ended this morning - need advice on handling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Rear-ended this morning - need advice on handling

So I was rear-ended on the way into work this morning. Completely not my fault, in my eyes it's pretty open and shut. Was sitting at a stop and just got nailed.

I've never been in an accident before, so would love any advice you guys might have. While we were trading info, the guy seemed like an OK guy, but said that his insurance info was in his other car. He also offered to pay out of pocket so that his rates wouldn't go up.

I went and got an estimate - and keep in mind, it's a high level estimate. No damage to the frame, but the sheet metal was dinged through a bit and damge to the left and center mufflers is almost certain, while we can't tell right now on the right muffler. Estimate came in at around $1000 for parts, and when you add in labor comes out to about $2500. Of course the potential that this ends up costing more is there, especially if the right muffler needs replacing.

Now, I just spoke with the guy and he still says he wants to pay out of pocket to protect his (and my) rates. This seems pretty fishy to me - am I overreacting? At maybe $500 - $1000 I can understand, but $2500 seems worth it for him to call in his insurance comapny. I haven't called my insurance company yet, should I get on the horn with them ASAP?
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject:

If he even has insurance.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject:

So I just got a VM from the guy.

Turns out he has 2 cars and as he claims, the insurance papers were in the other car. Thing is, he says the coverage for the car he hit me with apparently has lapsed. So basically, he was driving an uninsured car.

I have uninsured motorist insurance, so I'm not too worried about me from an insurance standpoint. He says he wants to pay me directly but I don't see a way to do this cleanly without exposing myself to undue risk of him cheating me somehow. I hate that this might do him some damage, but I'm thinking I gotta go to the insurance company.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:

id say let the insurance handle it. you don't know this guy and you can't really trust him. Do your rates go up even if it wasnt your fault?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Unless the guy can give you a certified check today for the full amount,... I would get a police report and call the insurance company....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Your rates shouldnt go up if its not your fault. I'd call your insurance company, its gonna suck for him A LOT, but too bad. You dont know him anyways so no big deal.
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Unless the guy can give you a certified check today for the full amount,... I would get a police report and call the insurance company....

Co-sign. If he can immediately make good, you'd be a decent guy to let him off the hook re the insurance hit and potential ticket. Assuming you're not injured and he can pay the costs, its all good. But make sure to act quickly, so you don't get in legal issues over not promptly reporting, etc., etc.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

The_Lakers_Show wrote:
Your rates shouldnt go up if its not your fault. I'd call your insurance company, its gonna suck for him A LOT, but too bad. You dont know him anyways so no big deal.

ditto
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject:

I know someone that was in your position. He got the guy that hit him to sign a hand-written contract saying that the accident was his fault and that he did not suffer any injuries (so he can't come back and try to sue later). Of course, my friend had his own reasons for going this rout, which I can't tell ().

But in your case, the only reason you'd be doing it this way is to do this guy a favor. There's nothing in it for you. I agree with everyone else, you should call your insurance company.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear-ended this morning - need advice on handling

Socks wrote:
So I was rear-ended on the way into work this morning. Completely not my fault, in my eyes it's pretty open and shut. Was sitting at a stop and just got nailed.

I've never been in an accident before, so would love any advice you guys might have. While we were trading info, the guy seemed like an OK guy, but said that his insurance info was in his other car. He also offered to pay out of pocket so that his rates wouldn't go up.

I went and got an estimate - and keep in mind, it's a high level estimate. No damage to the frame, but the sheet metal was dinged through a bit and damge to the left and center mufflers is almost certain, while we can't tell right now on the right muffler. Estimate came in at around $1000 for parts, and when you add in labor comes out to about $2500. Of course the potential that this ends up costing more is there, especially if the right muffler needs replacing.

Now, I just spoke with the guy and he still says he wants to pay out of pocket to protect his (and my) rates. This seems pretty fishy to me - am I overreacting? At maybe $500 - $1000 I can understand, but $2500 seems worth it for him to call in his insurance comapny. I haven't called my insurance company yet, should I get on the horn with them ASAP?

Been in two car accidents involving a rear-ending. In both cases the drivers were pretty cool. One was a Harley, and surprisingly the back of my Lexus was way more demolished than his bike (says a lot for the durability of the U.S. made Harley). I shared a hand-rolled (legal) cig with him, as we were both thankful that he was all right. He even wrote an accident report that blamed himself 100% for the crash, prompting the Dept. of Motor Vehicle to write me to explain they didn't need my version of the accident report. That's a stand-up guy.

A few years earlier, a young man nailed me in the freeway in So. Cal. He was driving a huge truck, and fell asleep while in neutral. He rolled slowly backwards, and since there was a traffic jam all I could do was watch this huge rig slowly demolish my car. He admitted to having too many hours behind the wheel and dozed, but was worried that he'd get his license pulled. Not only was he young, but he said it wasn't always easy for a chicano to break into the industry. For what it was worth, I trusted him and he said he'd make amends financially. And you know what? He was good for his word. Paid me every damn cent.'

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm also pretty good at reading people. If I thought the second guy was a jerk or seemed the least bit insincere, I wouldn't have hesitated filing a police report.
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

You must file a police report, and you must file a claim with your insurance company in order to protect yourself. You can do the guy a favor by not reporting it but you are taking on all the risks.

What if you get it fixed but the guy thinks you tried to milk him? What if you have more damage to the car that is undetected? What if he's slow to pay or doesn't pay the full amount.

This is why you have insurance and why he's suppossed to have it as well.

I had a similar situation where I was rear-ended and the guy mentioned he wanted to pay out of pocket. Once I got home I realized that doing so put all of the risk on me as well as all of the hassle of getting it fixed. So, I reported it to my insurace company and they took care of everything, including a rental car to use while it was in the shop.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:

Since your options are 1) See if he will pay up; and 2) File a claim with your insurance, and option 2 is available even if option 1 fails, you don't really have anything to lose by seeing if he'll pay up. In his case, the incentive is there to pay you, since he was driving illegally.

But the point is also valid that there's nothing in this for you. In fact, you're required to report any accident with damage over a certain value (I think it's $500), so you're technically breaking the law by doing what he wants. Plus you're letting an uninsured driver get away with it, in some respects.

So if you want to be a nice guy and not report him, you can at least impose terms on him: 1) Immediately get a written statement from him stating the accident was 100% his fault, he's not injured in any way, he agrees to pay for all damages in lieu of it being reported to your insurance, and the procedure you will follow and the time limits. 2) Get an estimate from a mechanic YOU trust. 3) Get cash or a cashier's check immediately.

If he doesn't like those terms, then he should pick someone else to hit without insurance next time.

Also -- while being hit by someone else, with their insurance picking up the tab shouldn't cause your rates to go up, I'm not sure if this also applies to your using your uninsured motorist coverage to pay for damages. You might want to check, in an innocuous way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

Just off the top of my head, and this does NOT constitute legal advice in any way, and should NOT be treated as such:

(1) Make sure you have all the guy's personal info.

(2) Make sure you have the guy's insurance info.

(3) Start monitoring yourself and where and when you start feeling pain, dizziness, discomfort, etc.

(4) If you need to see a doctor for any reason today, go. If you don't, then don't, but make sure you go when you do. Don't put it off if you can avoid it.

(5) Call your insurance company if you haven't already. Follow their instructions.

(6) Call the cops to file a police report, if you haven't already. Better to call and be wrong than to not call and be wrong and have someone say you were hiding something.

(7) Keep a log/ journal of everyone you officially talk to and when re: the accident. (i.e. insurance co., mechanic, cops, other driver, etc.)

I'm not so sure about demanding a letter of fault from the guy^^^, since a lot of admissions at or shortly after an accident scene are inadmissible as evidence at a trial. Plus, if it IS clearly over $500.00 in damage, you have an obligation to report it, so threatening him over something you have a civic duty to do anyway is possibly illegal.

MIM
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:

Your not in Vegas are you. My cousin was borrowoing my car the other day and a guy swerved in front of him and my cousin totalled my car. The cop told my cousin it was no fault on my cousin, but he thinks he said the same thing to the other guy. The other guy had a suspended license, but had insurance. HIs insurance called me and said that they just spoke with the other driver and he gave a different story than my cousin. THey said as of right now they are not claiming liability, but they are still waiting to see the police report. Anybody know how long these processes take and if there are any other actions I should take.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I felt like an ass about it, but I decided to go the insurance route. Just too much exposure for me to do anything else. I thought about asking the guy to cut me a certified check by this morning for about $3500 just to cover any additional expenses that might come up, but decided if there was any undiscovered damage or medical issues in the future, this wouldn't be enough to cover me.

Fortunately for my conscience, the guy managed to get his insurance invoked retroactively, so he's covered. I called my insurance company this morning and got the ball rolling. Gonna call the cops, etc. next. I'm sure this will be a really fun process .

Thanks again for all the words of advice!
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

Good -- going the official route is definitely the most prudent thing to do.

JasonLG was right -- people around here DO seem to be getting in more accidents this holiday season. Jason mentioned seven people that he knew. One person I know got hit in a head-on collusion by a drunk driver, with his family in the car. Now you. Makes me want to walk.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

^^^ No kidding. Makes me thankful my accident was pretty minor and my car is a tank. Pretty horrible about the head on collision and it just the drunk driver part just pisses me off. Hope people from that accident are relatively unharmed. But I'm with you - walking or taking the train seems more and more attractive all the time.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

You made the right choice. When I didn't make a report, I had leverage. All I had to do was call his company, and he would have been fired as a truck driver. I may be nice, but I forgot to mention that I left myself an out... so I could turn vicious.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Good -- going the official route is definitely the most prudent thing to do.

JasonLG was right -- people around here DO seem to be getting in more accidents this holiday season. Jason mentioned seven people that he knew. One person I know got hit in a head-on collusion by a drunk driver, with his family in the car. Now you. Makes me want to walk.

walk, i feel you. but dont cross the street with all these hit and runs.

on that same note of accidents as of recent. I was sitting in the parking lot waiting on someone. and i watched as a suv just bumped into the back of another car in front of it. it was a good 8 cars in line to pull out the shopping center driveway. i saw the car rolling, rolling. WAM. I was trying to figure out what was that chick thinking (who was being the Suv's wheel)? But as soon as she hopped out. i figured it out. she was on the cell phone. still conversating, never stopped the convo as she hopped out to check the damages. the other driver got out as well and i guess it wasn't anything wrong. lucky for her. But seriously people. repeat after me.
ITS OKAY TO PUT THE CELL PHONE DOWN FOR A MINUTE. IF THE CALL ISN'T FOR A MILLION DOLLARS or an EMERGENCY IT CAN'T BE THAT SERIOUS.

Last edited by postandpivot on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
......I was sitting in the parking lot waiting on someone.....

Was it Smush, pickin you up in the Smushcalade? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

women drivers suck
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
......I was sitting in the parking lot waiting on someone.....

Was it Smush, pickin you up in the Smushcalade? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

No, I was in my own smuschalade. well more like a dodgemalade. but whatever. good one though.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

did you get a police report
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: