*** Los Angeles Lakers vs Orlando Magic (03/07/18) ***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TDRock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 15947
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Went to the game. Whew! That was almost a disaster!


What an exciting ending you witnessed!!


Def more frustrating than exciting - lol!

But Ill take the win
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1631

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Feel bad for Lopez. He made the winning free throw but everyone is buys talking about the funky call at the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 18854
Location: La Jolla, San Diego

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Just saw the game on my dvr. I'd be fuming as well if I was Orlando. The NBA will come out with their "transparent my bad" explanation tomorrow. LOL!

I'll take the win, but man, just imagine being on the other side. How incompetent can 3 refs be?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2009
Posts: 1387

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Man, that +/- for the starting units for both teams is crazy.

Orlando Starters: +58
Lakers Starters: -32

Caruso and Zu had our highest +/- with +31 combined. If Ennis had played, he would for sure have gotten -32 by himself Miss the Hitman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16821

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject:

Kuz played very well at the 3 tonight.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 20 Oct 2014
Posts: 656

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Isaiah Thomas. 5’9" - 3 rebounds

Brook Lopez. 7’0" - 0 rebounds.



27 points, 0 rebounds is quite possibly the strangest statline I have ever seen for a Center.

To be fair BroLo is a very good team rebounder and helps us control the glass by boxing out. Pretty unusual statline though lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 07 Jul 2001
Posts: 14424

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject:

Another Ennis DNP another win
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 13388
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Another Ennis DNP another win



_________________
SPEAK IT INTO EXISTENCE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
av3773
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2011
Posts: 2998

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject:

2nd bad close to a game by the Lakers.... Walton needs to put the hammer on them for these poor close outs otherwise we are going to go on an extended losing streak.... Really disappointing follow up game after Portland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 33037

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject:

Talk about dodging a bullet, whew!

RECAP:

Lopez, LA Lakers hold off Magic 108-107 in bizarre ending

http://www.nba.com/games/20180307/ORLLAL#/recap
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersAlldaWay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 279

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:

The call at the end is no different than if there was an inadvertent whistle with the ball in the air. If anything the Magic are lucky that the refs settled on calling it that way rather than just saying the game has ended considering the game would have been over if the clock didn't start early (Lonzo deflection). I would have been more angry if I was Walton rather than Vogel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 25514
Location: Texoma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject:

I must say, I don't get all the negativity after a win and all the vitriol at the refs (for a call in our favor, no less) who made the correct call according to the rule book. But that's just me...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 15424

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
I must say, I don't get all the negativity after a win and all the vitriol at the refs (for a call in our favor, no less) who made the correct call according to the rule book. But that's just me...


A clock starting while the ball is still in the air is not a correct call by rule. Plus, if the rule states that the ball is a jump ball in that situation, the Magic had zero chance to win the game because if Gordon had somehow broken through that bear hug and dunked the pass, it would still have been waved off in favor of a half court jump ball. When you look at the fact that there was absolutely no reason for the clock to have started, that looks like a blatant fix job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 25514
Location: Texoma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
I must say, I don't get all the negativity after a win and all the vitriol at the refs (for a call in our favor, no less) who made the correct call according to the rule book. But that's just me...


A clock starting while the ball is still in the air is not a correct call by rule. Plus, if the rule states that the ball is a jump ball in that situation, the Magic had zero chance to win the game because if Gordon had somehow broken through that bear hug and dunked the pass, it would still have been waved off in favor of a half court jump ball. When you look at the fact that there was absolutely no reason for the clock to have started, that looks like a blatant fix job.

I don't understand your point. You seem to be equating a clock malfunction with the refs interpretation of said clock malfunction. Yes, the clock should not have malfunctioned. It did. That's on the scorer table, not the refs. If the refs had given the Magic another exact same opportunity and the Magic would have won the game, it would have been just as unfair for the Lakers. The clock doesn't malfunction, the Lakers would have won the game.

Here is the official explanation:
Quote:
NBA crew chief Bill Spooner explained the rule to a pool reporter afterward.

"Because there's no possession when the clock goes off, the ruling is that there's a jump ball, center circle," Spooner said. "The rule is 13E-9-2. And anytime there is either an inadvertent whistle and/or a horn when the ball is in the air, there's no possession and we go center circle, jump ball."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22685140/aaron-gordon-says-orlando-magic-feel-cheated-clock-malfunction-loss-lakers

So, the refs made the correct call...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 33037

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
I must say, I don't get all the negativity after a win and all the vitriol at the refs (for a call in our favor, no less) who made the correct call according to the rule book. But that's just me...


A clock starting while the ball is still in the air is not a correct call by rule. Plus, if the rule states that the ball is a jump ball in that situation, the Magic had zero chance to win the game because if Gordon had somehow broken through that bear hug and dunked the pass, it would still have been waved off in favor of a half court jump ball. When you look at the fact that there was absolutely no reason for the clock to have started, that looks like a blatant fix job.

I don't understand your point. You seem to be equating a clock malfunction with the refs interpretation of said clock malfunction. Yes, the clock should not have malfunctioned. It did. That's on the scorer table, not the refs. If the refs had given the Magic another exact same opportunity and the Magic would have won the game, it would have been just as unfair for the Lakers. The clock doesn't malfunction, the Lakers would have won the game.

Here is the official explanation:
Quote:
NBA crew chief Bill Spooner explained the rule to a pool reporter afterward.

"Because there's no possession when the clock goes off, the ruling is that there's a jump ball, center circle," Spooner said. "The rule is 13E-9-2. And anytime there is either an inadvertent whistle and/or a horn when the ball is in the air, there's no possession and we go center circle, jump ball."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22685140/aaron-gordon-says-orlando-magic-feel-cheated-clock-malfunction-loss-lakers

So, the refs made the correct call...

"I guess that's why they make the big bucks."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersAlldaWay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 279

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
I must say, I don't get all the negativity after a win and all the vitriol at the refs (for a call in our favor, no less) who made the correct call according to the rule book. But that's just me...


A clock starting while the ball is still in the air is not a correct call by rule. Plus, if the rule states that the ball is a jump ball in that situation, the Magic had zero chance to win the game because if Gordon had somehow broken through that bear hug and dunked the pass, it would still have been waved off in favor of a half court jump ball. When you look at the fact that there was absolutely no reason for the clock to have started, that looks like a blatant fix job.

I don't understand your point. You seem to be equating a clock malfunction with the refs interpretation of said clock malfunction. Yes, the clock should not have malfunctioned. It did. That's on the scorer table, not the refs. If the refs had given the Magic another exact same opportunity and the Magic would have won the game, it would have been just as unfair for the Lakers. The clock doesn't malfunction, the Lakers would have won the game.

Here is the official explanation:
Quote:
NBA crew chief Bill Spooner explained the rule to a pool reporter afterward.

"Because there's no possession when the clock goes off, the ruling is that there's a jump ball, center circle," Spooner said. "The rule is 13E-9-2. And anytime there is either an inadvertent whistle and/or a horn when the ball is in the air, there's no possession and we go center circle, jump ball."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22685140/aaron-gordon-says-orlando-magic-feel-cheated-clock-malfunction-loss-lakers

So, the refs made the correct call...


Ding ding ding. The Magic are lucky they even had a jumpball opportunity. Surprised Bill and Stu responded the way they did. That was the more puzzling part. As a Laker fan I was pissed since the early clock start favored the Magic due to the first play not going anywhere for them. And they were still upset..so strange.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 15424

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
I must say, I don't get all the negativity after a win and all the vitriol at the refs (for a call in our favor, no less) who made the correct call according to the rule book. But that's just me...


A clock starting while the ball is still in the air is not a correct call by rule. Plus, if the rule states that the ball is a jump ball in that situation, the Magic had zero chance to win the game because if Gordon had somehow broken through that bear hug and dunked the pass, it would still have been waved off in favor of a half court jump ball. When you look at the fact that there was absolutely no reason for the clock to have started, that looks like a blatant fix job.

I don't understand your point. You seem to be equating a clock malfunction with the refs interpretation of said clock malfunction. Yes, the clock should not have malfunctioned. It did. That's on the scorer table, not the refs. If the refs had given the Magic another exact same opportunity and the Magic would have won the game, it would have been just as unfair for the Lakers. The clock doesn't malfunction, the Lakers would have won the game.

Here is the official explanation:
Quote:
NBA crew chief Bill Spooner explained the rule to a pool reporter afterward.

"Because there's no possession when the clock goes off, the ruling is that there's a jump ball, center circle," Spooner said. "The rule is 13E-9-2. And anytime there is either an inadvertent whistle and/or a horn when the ball is in the air, there's no possession and we go center circle, jump ball."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22685140/aaron-gordon-says-orlando-magic-feel-cheated-clock-malfunction-loss-lakers

So, the refs made the correct call...


My point is more that the clock did not malfunction. It started properly when they started it.

I also don't see how an inbounds pass can be interpreted as a loose ball. That does not align with any other rules. If I push off to receive a pass, it is not a loose ball foul and the other team gets no free throws. Its a ball control foul and the result is a change of possession.


In the future, when the Lakers have the ball with a second left, if the scorekeeper can just start the clock early and force a midcourt jump ball instead, what is to stop them from doing it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 25514
Location: Texoma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
I must say, I don't get all the negativity after a win and all the vitriol at the refs (for a call in our favor, no less) who made the correct call according to the rule book. But that's just me...


A clock starting while the ball is still in the air is not a correct call by rule. Plus, if the rule states that the ball is a jump ball in that situation, the Magic had zero chance to win the game because if Gordon had somehow broken through that bear hug and dunked the pass, it would still have been waved off in favor of a half court jump ball. When you look at the fact that there was absolutely no reason for the clock to have started, that looks like a blatant fix job.

I don't understand your point. You seem to be equating a clock malfunction with the refs interpretation of said clock malfunction. Yes, the clock should not have malfunctioned. It did. That's on the scorer table, not the refs. If the refs had given the Magic another exact same opportunity and the Magic would have won the game, it would have been just as unfair for the Lakers. The clock doesn't malfunction, the Lakers would have won the game.

Here is the official explanation:
Quote:
NBA crew chief Bill Spooner explained the rule to a pool reporter afterward.

"Because there's no possession when the clock goes off, the ruling is that there's a jump ball, center circle," Spooner said. "The rule is 13E-9-2. And anytime there is either an inadvertent whistle and/or a horn when the ball is in the air, there's no possession and we go center circle, jump ball."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22685140/aaron-gordon-says-orlando-magic-feel-cheated-clock-malfunction-loss-lakers

So, the refs made the correct call...


My point is more that the clock did not malfunction. It started properly when they started it.

I also don't see how an inbounds pass can be interpreted as a loose ball. That does not align with any other rules. If I push off to receive a pass, it is not a loose ball foul and the other team gets no free throws. Its a ball control foul and the result is a change of possession.


In the future, when the Lakers have the ball with a second left, if the scorekeeper can just start the clock early and force a midcourt jump ball instead, what is to stop them from doing it?


To answer your question, it is their integrity and character that will stop them from doing it. If they are not a good employee then they will fail. Now, I'm also trying to clear up your confusion. You are hung up on the term "clock malfunction" which I don't believe is even in the official rule-book wording. You are confusing the official time-keeper's (a home-team employee) error with an incorrect referee call. Makes no sense. Whether it was a clock malfunction or not there was something inadvertent that happened. The clock started early. Most likely a time-keeper error. That has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the refs "call" being correct or not. It happened and the referees have to deal with it. They dealt with it according to the rule book. THE CORRECT CALL. Let me know how I can further clarify the situation for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 15424

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:


To answer your question, it is their integrity and character that will stop them from doing it. If they are not a good employee then they will fail. Now, I'm also trying to clear up your confusion. You are hung up on the term "clock malfunction" which I don't believe is even in the official rule-book wording. You are confusing the official time-keeper's (a home-team employee) error with an incorrect referee call. Makes no sense. Whether it was a clock malfunction or not there was something inadvertent that happened. The clock started early. Most likely a time-keeper error. That has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the refs "call" being correct or not. It happened and the referees have to deal with it. They dealt with it according to the rule book. THE CORRECT CALL. Let me know how I can further clarify the situation for you.


I had read that referee had started the clock or had signaled to the scorekeeper to start the clock. I don't interpret that as any kind of malfunction. It was human error.

On plays where the clock starts too early or too late, I am used to seeing the play replayed. Perhaps that is incorrect. What last nights procedure told me is that if there is a clock issue at the end of the game, the team with the ball forfeits the game. There is simply not enough time for a jump ball at half court and a resulting shot unless there are at least 2-3 seconds. Whether that is the rule or not, it is an awful remedy to an error in the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 8940

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Ohm Youngmisuk
ESPN Staff Writer

The NBA's Officiating Last Two Minute Report ruled that there was an incorrect call at the end of the Orlando Magic-Los Angeles Lakers game and that the Magic should have maintained possession — as Orlando head coach Frank Vogel argued — after a clock malfunction. "The inbound pass, referees were reasonably certain that there was a clock malfunction and triggered an Instant Replay under Rule 13.1.a.5," the Two Minute Report said. "After review, it is confirmed that the game clock was inadvertently started by the referee crew and that time expired before the ball was touched. The clock is correctly reset to 0:00.6. However, since the pass was still in the air when the clock expired, the ball was still in ORL's possession and thus ORL should have retained possession on the sideline at the nearest spot. Had the ball been touched by LAL prior to the expiration of the clock, it would have been considered a loose ball and the jump ball ruling would have been correct."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Nov 2017
Posts: 198

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Ohm Youngmisuk
ESPN Staff Writer

The NBA's Officiating Last Two Minute Report ruled that there was an incorrect call at the end of the Orlando Magic-Los Angeles Lakers game and that the Magic should have maintained possession — as Orlando head coach Frank Vogel argued — after a clock malfunction. "The inbound pass, referees were reasonably certain that there was a clock malfunction and triggered an Instant Replay under Rule 13.1.a.5," the Two Minute Report said. "After review, it is confirmed that the game clock was inadvertently started by the referee crew and that time expired before the ball was touched. The clock is correctly reset to 0:00.6. However, since the pass was still in the air when the clock expired, the ball was still in ORL's possession and thus ORL should have retained possession on the sideline at the nearest spot. Had the ball been touched by LAL prior to the expiration of the clock, it would have been considered a loose ball and the jump ball ruling would have been correct."


There you go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 33037

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

tgi_friyay wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Ohm Youngmisuk
ESPN Staff Writer

The NBA's Officiating Last Two Minute Report ruled that there was an incorrect call at the end of the Orlando Magic-Los Angeles Lakers game and that the Magic should have maintained possession — as Orlando head coach Frank Vogel argued — after a clock malfunction. "The inbound pass, referees were reasonably certain that there was a clock malfunction and triggered an Instant Replay under Rule 13.1.a.5," the Two Minute Report said. "After review, it is confirmed that the game clock was inadvertently started by the referee crew and that time expired before the ball was touched. The clock is correctly reset to 0:00.6. However, since the pass was still in the air when the clock expired, the ball was still in ORL's possession and thus ORL should have retained possession on the sideline at the nearest spot. Had the ball been touched by LAL prior to the expiration of the clock, it would have been considered a loose ball and the jump ball ruling would have been correct."


There you go.


NBA L2M Report: Jump Ball Call In Final Seconds Of Lakers-Magic Game Was Incorrect

Quote:
“The clock is correctly reset to 0:00.6. However, since the pass was still in the air when the clock expired, the ball was still in ORL’s possession and thus ORL should have retained possession on the sideline at the nearest spot.

“Had the ball been touched by LAL prior to the expiration of the clock, it would have been considered a loose ball and the jump ball ruling would have been correct.”


http://www.lakersnation.com/nba-l2m-report-lakers-magic-jump-ball-finish-call-incorrect/2018/03/08/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41
Page 41 of 41
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB