Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

LALakers999 wrote:
awww for corn sakes!!!!!

No One ever said SC430 was sporty... I merely said that car is "bad ass" which i still stand by today. Its a luxury car thats more practical then the $100+ luxury coupes.(AMG's, M's, etc). its costs less and TO ME it looks good. NOW IF YOU CAN FIND A CAR that is in the same category around the same price range then I am open to change my opinion... Other than that this discussion of dimantling the credibility of the SC430 name is purely asinine.

also... moneyshot... AARP? it would be funny that the SC430 are used as pace cars and recently entered and won the SuperGT... you dont believe me? heres the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_SC430

also... how many young adults do you see around town driving an SC430... think about it? if you want head turners you got to experiment instead of blending in...

YEs the SC430 is bad ass and i made my decision I will be buying this car

Dude, don't go getting all butt hurt because you wanted people to help justify your buying decision. Big deal that most of the posters in this thread don't like the car you do, as much as you do. You posted why you like it, we posted why we didn't . This is part of what's called a discussion. No reason to cry. Bad-ass car drivers don't cry.

In the $65k M.S.R.P. range, there are a lot of choices. A person wouldn't have to spend $100k + to get a better ride. Not by a long shot.

Now to your 'Super GT' point. Only a person who knows nothing of motorsports would agree that a GT500 SC430 is like anything like a street SC430. I could use your same point to say that the Ford Taurus is "sporty" or "bad ass" because a version of a Ford Taurus raced and won in NASCAR. Sorry but it doesn't work that way.

A Super GT SC430 has a 500 hp motor from a SuperGT Toyota Supra, coil over suspension, monocoque chassis, a custom carbon fiber body, weighs 2200 lbs, and 330/70 racing slicks (to name a few 'changes'). Essentially it's a race car with a SC430ish looking body. If that's too complicated then tell me if any of the
SuperGT SC430 RACE CARS, look anything like the Lexus SC430 Granny-Pimper you're getting all hurt over. And yes, the reason why I keep referring to senior citizens and this car, is because that's all I see driving them in O.C., L.A. and yes, even the I.E.

Even so, if you like it... then buy it. Just don't be surprised when car guys don't give you the thumbs up you were looking for on the purchase.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
LALakers999 wrote:
awww for corn sakes!!!!!

No One ever said SC430 was sporty... I merely said that car is "bad ass" which i still stand by today. Its a luxury car thats more practical then the $100+ luxury coupes.(AMG's, M's, etc). its costs less and TO ME it looks good. NOW IF YOU CAN FIND A CAR that is in the same category around the same price range then I am open to change my opinion... Other than that this discussion of dimantling the credibility of the SC430 name is purely asinine.

also... moneyshot... AARP? it would be funny that the SC430 are used as pace cars and recently entered and won the SuperGT... you dont believe me? heres the link

also... how many young adults do you see around town driving an SC430... think about it? if you want head turners you got to experiment instead of blending in...

Dude, don't go getting all butt hurt because you wanted people to help justify your buying decision. Big deal that most of the posters in this thread don't like the car you do, as much as you do. You posted why you like it, we posted why we didn't . This is part of what's called a discussion. No reason to cry. Bad-ass car drivers don't cry.

In the $65k M.S.R.P. range, there are a lot of choices. A person wouldn't have to spend $100k + to get a better ride. Not by a long shot.

Now to your 'Super GT' point. Only a person who knows nothing of motorsports would agree that a GT500 SC430 is like anything like a street SC430. I could use your same point to say that the Ford Taurus is "sporty" or "bad ass" because a version of a Ford Taurus raced and won in NASCAR. Sorry but it doesn't work that way.

A Super GT SC430 has a 500 hp motor from a SuperGT Toyota Supra, coil over suspension, monocoque chassis, a custom carbon fiber body, weighs 2200 lbs, and 330/70 racing slicks (to name a few 'changes'). Essentially it's a race car with a SC430ish looking body. If that's too complicated then tell me if any of the
SuperGT SC430 RACE CARS, look anything like the Lexus SC430 Granny-Pimper you're getting all hurt over. And yes, the reason why I keep referring to senior citizens and this car, is because that's all I see driving them in O.C., L.A. and yes, even the I.E.

Even so, if you like it... then buy it. Just don't be surprised when car guys don't give you the thumbs up you were looking for on the purchase.

Ouch...

So about the alternatives for 65K, here are my choices:
SLK 55 AMG
Jaguar XK for more
Used M3 for much less
Corvette
Audi S4 for less
Cayman S
Used Porsche 911
Lotus Exige for less

What else can you get for around 65000?
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

^^^ Sorry didn't mean to be so rough.

Anyhoo, let's talk alternatives in the same price range. 3 categories I see... Convertibles, Coupes, and Sport Sedans. I'll quote new price MSRP on the top models in each linuep, but who ever really pays or buys that. I'm only going to list convertibles because listing the rest would take too much time.

Convertibles
'07 Mazda Miata - $27k
'07 Pontiac Solstice - $27k
'07 Saturn Sky - $29k
'07 Honda S2000 - $34k
'06 Chrysler Crossfire - $39k
'07 Volvo C-70 - $39k
'06 Nissan 350z - $41k
'06 Saab 9-3 - $42k
'06 Lotus Elise - $43k
'07 Chevy GT500 Mustang $45k
'08 Audi TT SE AWD - $51k (available soon)
'06 BMW Z4 M - $52k
'07 Chevy Corvette - $52k
'06 Porsche Boxster S - $55k
'06 BMW M3 - $57k
'07 Audi S4 - $57k
'06 MBenz SLK55 AMG $61k
'07 SC430 - $65k
'06 Jaguar XK - $75k
'07 Cadillac XLR - $77k
'06 BMW 6 - $78k
'07 Porsche 911 - $82k
'06 CLK 55 AMG - $82k
'06 Dodge Viper - $87k

Now once we get into the $80,000.00 range we're talking about cars that outclass the SC by a mile. Even though you stated that to reach an SC's value a person would have to spend over $100k. You're never going to fool anyone who knows jack about cars that the SC is worth over $80k.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
LALakers999 wrote:
awww for corn sakes!!!!!

lol...dude im not getting butt hurt... I was just getting mis-quoted by saying that the Sc430 is a sports car. I never said it was a sports car.. all i said that it was "bad ass". I always considered it luxury with a sense of style. Of course people will disagree with me, Im not crying about it.. I just wanted good expalnation on why they dislike the SC430... and so far I got these type of answers

Quote:
from shnjb
Besides, I don't even think the Japanese think that the SC430 is a good sporty car

and from you

Quote:
The SC430 is more like a luxo-barge with two doors. It's heavy, ponderous, and is really just a "sporty car" (never call it a sports car). It's like a 21st century 1955 Thunderbird which Ford characterized this way "Thunderbird was never sold as a full-blown sports car.

for some odd reason you are comparing a luxury car to a sports a car... and NOT just any sports car..you guys are assesing judgement on the SC with your own personal experience of cars that have 80+ price tag or in a different class...

If you give me reasons like... "handling" "drivability" "speed" against real cars in its class ... then Ill say..wow this guys knows his cars and knows what he talking about... but all i got from you was BS. you questioned its looks and performance against real sports cars like the gt2/3, viper, etc...

last but not least..
as a motorhead like yourself you do realize the same EXACT 3UZFE engine is used in the SupraGT500 and the LExus SC430 in stock form... 3UAZFE n/a. the chassis? is a UZZ40... the same one they use on the GT as well as sc430 stock.. HOWEVER... you are right it is a modified version of the Sc430 but the engine and chassis are the same only tuned from top to bottom to race, and If i wanted to (which I wont) I could do the same to mine.

lastly

most of these cars are soft tops or in different classes and they dont even come close to the SC refinements...

Convertibles
'07 Mazda Miata - $27k
'07 Saturn Sky - $29k
'07 Honda S2000 - $34k
'07 Volvo C-70 - $39k
'06 Nissan 350z - $41k
'06 Saab 9-3 - $42k
'06 Lotus Elise - $43k
'06 BMW Z4 M - $52k
'06 BMW M3 - $57k
'07 Audi S4 - $57k
'06 MBenz SLK55 AMG $61k
'07 SC430 - $65k
'06 Jaguar XK - $75k
'07 Cadillac XLR - $77k
'06 BMW 6 - $78k
'07 Porsche 911 - $82k
'06 CLK 55 AMG - $82k
'06 Dodge Viper - $87k

why dont you pick something hardtop and then comapre the 2 and then pass judgement on the SC
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:

LALakers999 wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:
LALakers999 wrote:
awww for corn sakes!!!!!

lol...dude im not getting butt hurt... I was just getting mis-quoted by saying that the Sc430 is a sports car. I never said it was a sports car.. all i said that it was "bad ass". I always considered it luxury with a sense of style. Of course people will disagree with me, Im not crying about it.. I just wanted good expalnation on why they dislike the SC430... and so far I got these type of answers

Quote:
from shnjb
Besides, I don't even think the Japanese think that the SC430 is a good sporty car

and from you

Quote:
The SC430 is more like a luxo-barge with two doors. It's heavy, ponderous, and is really just a "sporty car" (never call it a sports car). It's like a 21st century 1955 Thunderbird which Ford characterized this way "Thunderbird was never sold as a full-blown sports car.

for some odd reason you are comparing a luxury car to a sports a car... and NOT just any sports car..you guys are assesing judgement on the SC with your own personal experience of cars that have 80+ price tag or in a different class...

If you give me reasons like... "handling" "drivability" "speed" against real cars in its class ... then Ill say..wow this guys knows his cars and knows what he talking about... but all i got from you was BS. you questioned its looks and performance against real sports cars like the gt2/3, viper, etc...

last but not least..
as a motorhead like yourself you do realize the same EXACT 3UZFE engine is used in the SupraGT500 and the LExus SC430 in stock form... 3UAZFE n/a. the chassis? is a UZZ40... the same one they use on the GT as well as sc430 stock.. HOWEVER... you are right it is a modified version of the Sc430 but the engine and chassis are the same only tuned from top to bottom to race, and If i wanted to (which I wont) I could do the same to mine.

lastly

most of these cars are soft tops or in different classes and they dont even come close to the SC refinements...

Convertibles
'07 Mazda Miata - $27k
'07 Saturn Sky - $29k
'07 Honda S2000 - $34k
'07 Volvo C-70 - $39k
'06 Nissan 350z - $41k
'06 Saab 9-3 - $42k
'06 Lotus Elise - $43k
'06 BMW Z4 M - $52k
'06 BMW M3 - $57k
'07 Audi S4 - $57k
'06 MBenz SLK55 AMG $61k
'07 SC430 - $65k
'06 Jaguar XK - $75k
'07 Cadillac XLR - $77k
'06 BMW 6 - $78k
'07 Porsche 911 - $82k
'06 CLK 55 AMG - $82k
'06 Dodge Viper - $87k

why dont you pick something hardtop and then comapre the 2 and then pass judgement on the SC

Wow, it just gets better.

Quote:

I think you've been told why we don't like the car. Those reasons are continually rejected by you. You said...

Quote:
If you give me reasons like... "handling" "drivability" "speed" against real cars in its class ... then Ill say..wow this guys knows his cars and knows what he talking about...

I have already stated that the car is heavy, and ponderous. Do you know how weight affects the "handling, drivability and speed?"

Still you allow yourself to say "I think the car is BAD ASS", but when I say "Most people I see driving this car are old as dirt" you reject. Sorry but an opinion is an opinion, whether you like it or not.

Quote:
do realize the same EXACT 3UZFE engine is used in the SupraGT500 and the LExus SC430 in stock form... 3UAZFE n/a. the chassis? is a UZZ40... the same one they use on the GT as well as sc430 stock.. HOWEVER... you are right it is a modified version of the Sc430 but the engine and chassis are the same only tuned from top to bottom to race, and If i wanted to (which I wont) I could do the same to mine.

LOL, sure you could send your stock SC340 3UAZFE to Tom's motorsports (in Japan), pay $40+k to ship it and get it race ready (never being able to drive it on the street again), use it once, pay another $8k for a rebuild, wash rinse repeat... but then YOU'D have to compare that SC430 to a $100k+ streetable car that you said your stock SC430 already favorably compared to (which it doesn't <cough>Cadillac XLR-V, Maserati GranSport Spyder, Benz SL55 AMG</cough>). Funny b/c you were the one that brought GT500 up anyhow, knowing that an overweight, underpowered street SC430 is nothing at all like a Tom's Racing SC430 GT500 car. That was pretty dumb dontcha' think? Next time don't try to make a sports car out of sporty car and keep it in the same price range.

Quote:

It's real easy to try and make a comparison stating a person can only compare the smallest group of cars. "Refinements"... Talk about being purposely vague. Refined what? Chassis, handling dynamics, interior materials, flux capacitor, Fetzer valve? If you would've started out stating that the SC430 is the best Hard top, Japanese luxury convertible coupe on the market, no one would've argued. hahaha... Still, I'd recon if you asked most people on this board which they'd prefer a hardtop convertible Benz SLK55 AMG or an SC430, the majority take the Benz and pocket the 4G's. Personally, if I had to take a convertible for a daily driver in that range, I'd take the BMW Z4-M and pocket $13K. Instead I own 2 cars and a pickup. All do their jobs well.

Once again, it doesn't matter if I or we don't agree with you, just don't get bent when your told why and YOU don't agree.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

SC may be the best Japanese LUXURY hardtop convertible, but I think in terms of best value, the Mazda Miata hardtop convertible is a much purer car that probably delivers more excitement anyway.

By the way, stop getting so bent over the whole sporty vs. badass thing.

Calling the SC430 sporty is more close than calling it badass.
Who seriously thinks SC430 to be a "badass?"

What's so badass about it?
The rotund and outdated looks?
The terrible handling?
The fact that it's a hardtop convertible? (that could've been true when it first came out, but now we can find hardtop convertibles in many sectors- BMW 3 series, Mazda, SL, SLK, etc)
The lackluster acceleration?

Or perhaps you're talking about "refinements" which I agree- they're nice, but certainly not "badass."
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

But then again, since you've decided to get it, congratulations.
I do think it's a nice car; it's just not my best choice at that price range.

If you do get it though, I've seen one in very dark and metallic purple (probably a custom paint job) and it looked absolutely gorgeous.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Ouch...

So about the alternatives for 65K, here are my choices:
SLK 55 AMG
Jaguar XK for more
Used M3 for much less
Corvette
Audi S4 for less
Cayman S
Used Porsche 911
Lotus Exige for less

What else can you get for around 65000?

My short list:

Cayman
Elise
Used 911
Rx8 (soft spot for that car)
IS350
Used M5

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
LALakers999 wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:
LALakers999 wrote:
awww for corn sakes!!!!!

Quote:
from shnjb

and from you

Quote:

last but not least..

lastly

Convertibles
'07 Mazda Miata - $27k
'07 Saturn Sky - $29k
'07 Honda S2000 - $34k
'07 Volvo C-70 - $39k
'06 Nissan 350z - $41k
'06 Saab 9-3 - $42k
'06 Lotus Elise - $43k
'06 BMW Z4 M - $52k
'06 BMW M3 - $57k
'07 Audi S4 - $57k
'06 MBenz SLK55 AMG $61k
'07 SC430 - $65k
'06 Jaguar XK - $75k
'07 Cadillac XLR - $77k
'06 BMW 6 - $78k
'07 Porsche 911 - $82k
'06 CLK 55 AMG - $82k
'06 Dodge Viper - $87k

Wow, it just gets better.

Quote:

I think you've been told why we don't like the car. Those reasons are continually rejected by you. You said...

Quote:
If you give me reasons like... "handling" "drivability" "speed" against real cars in its class ... then Ill say..wow this guys knows his cars and knows what he talking about...

I have already stated that the car is heavy, and ponderous. Do you know how weight affects the "handling, drivability and speed?"

Still you allow yourself to say "I think the car is BAD ASS", but when I say "Most people I see driving this car are old as dirt" you reject. Sorry but an opinion is an opinion, whether you like it or not.

Quote:
do realize the same EXACT 3UZFE engine is used in the SupraGT500 and the LExus SC430 in stock form... 3UAZFE n/a. the chassis? is a UZZ40... the same one they use on the GT as well as sc430 stock.. HOWEVER... you are right it is a modified version of the Sc430 but the engine and chassis are the same only tuned from top to bottom to race, and If i wanted to (which I wont) I could do the same to mine.

LOL, sure you could send your stock SC340 3UAZFE to Tom's motorsports (in Japan), pay $40+k to ship it and get it race ready (never being able to drive it on the street again), use it once, pay another $8k for a rebuild, wash rinse repeat... but then YOU'D have to compare that SC430 to a $100k+ streetable car that you said your stock SC430 already favorably compared to (which it doesn't <cough>Cadillac XLR-V, Maserati GranSport Spyder, Benz SL55 AMG</cough>). Funny b/c you were the one that brought GT500 up anyhow, knowing that an overweight, underpowered street SC430 is nothing at all like a Tom's Racing SC430 GT500 car. That was pretty dumb dontcha' think? Next time don't try to make a sports car out of sporty car and keep it in the same price range.

Quote:

It's real easy to try and make a comparison stating a person can only compare the smallest group of cars. "Refinements"... Talk about being purposely vague. Refined what? Chassis, handling dynamics, interior materials, flux capacitor, Fetzer valve? If you would've started out stating that the SC430 is the best Hard top, Japanese luxury convertible coupe on the market, no one would've argued. hahaha... Still, I'd recon if you asked most people on this board which they'd prefer a hardtop convertible Benz SLK55 AMG or an SC430, the majority take the Benz and pocket the 4G's. Personally, if I had to take a convertible for a daily driver in that range, I'd take the BMW Z4-M and pocket $13K. Instead I own 2 cars and a pickup. All do their jobs well.

Once again, it doesn't matter if I or we don't agree with you, just don't get bent when your told why and YOU don't agree.

LOL im not getting bent over. I value your opinion just as much as you valued mine. we have different taste in cars...thats all... you would take the z4m where as I would take the sc. and if you want to do that poll.... first you need to pit the sc430 vs. the slk500 conv not the 55.

Saying the SC is "bad ass' is probally an overstep by your standards and you said your 2 cents as humbly as it can be...

as far as its refinements. i meant amnetities such as the DVD navi, bi-xenon lights, mark levinson sound,spoiler, run flats, (personally i think runflats are crap) are all standard.

also....
I never rejected the fact that old people drive this car. I personally said this car looks awesome with the right set of wheels, lowering, tint, and sound.

Speed?
speed is one thing for me but Im not here looking forward to whipping the sc around a track any time soon. I just mentioned the SuperGT becuase many people thought it wouldnt have the ability to handle like a sports car. SURE IN stock form it doesnt... BUT THEN AGAIN which car can? YOU THIS EVERYDAY where people will spend a crap load of money on their hondas, toys, bimmers, just to make it fast enough to beat a porsche or a viper.

okay fine... next time i will be more politically correct..

the sc430 is the best japanese hard-top convertible on the market.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:

The SC is a nice car is you take it for what it is.

The engine is great, should last you for over 200k miles if you maintain it, which I don't know if you could say about the other listed cars. It is an updated version of the old 1uzfe engine, which Lexus has used since 1990 for their V8's. A lot of early 90's Lexus LS and SC's have well over 200k miles on it, even over 300k in some cases. It is a hardtop convertable. but is still the least problematic car in America according to Consumers Reports. It should have reliable electronics compared to other cars.

Heck, with a lot of the posts you see, you probably would think Lexus makes the slowest cars on the road. It doesn't have 500 horsepower, but it does have more horsepower than 80% of cars in the real world today. You should have have more than enough power to pass vehicles. Despite the talk about poor handling, it still does handle better than most cars on the road as well. I like to talk about power and performance too. When I was in college, I probably wouldn't think about owning a Lexus either, but when it comes to my money(when I finally had it), I'd stick with Lexus knowing that the quality is as good as any car within that segment and knowing full well that these cars are built to last a long time. I actually see myself as a smart consumer for making that choice.

I think the styling is why a lot of people don't like it. However, I still think that if Lexus had a 500 HP version of this car with upgraded brakes and a lowered and more sport tuned suspension, this topic wouldn't be 3 pages long. The LF-A and IS 500 can't come soon enough.

Lexus has lead the mass production luxury market in America in quality and value since it's been here. Their cars are getting better. Their cars are as driver oriented as they've ever been, and only improving. If you enjoy the finest quality from the material of your dashboard to your paintjob for less than the Germans and topping that off with better long term reliability, you will like Lexus. Just because you know cars doesn't mean you're all out after performance.

Edit: and one more thing, if you're getting this car as a daily driving car, I'd strongly suggest the Lexus as well. The ride is smooth and comfortable. Nothing like coming home from work in comfort 8)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
The SC is a nice car is you take it for what it is.

The engine is great, should last you for over 200k miles if you maintain it, which I don't know if you could say about the other listed cars. It is an updated version of the old 1uzfe engine, which Lexus has used since 1990 for their V8's. A lot of early 90's Lexus LS and SC's have well over 200k miles on it, even over 300k in some cases. It is a hardtop convertable. but is still the least problematic car in America according to Consumers Reports. It should have reliable electronics compared to other cars.

Heck, with a lot of the posts you see, you probably would think Lexus makes the slowest cars on the road. It doesn't have 500 horsepower, but it does have more horsepower than 80% of cars in the real world today. You should have have more than enough power to pass vehicles. Despite the talk about poor handling, it still does handle better than most cars on the road as well. I like to talk about power and performance too. When I was in college, I probably wouldn't think about owning a Lexus either, but when it comes to my money(when I finally had it), I'd stick with Lexus knowing that the quality is as good as any car within that segment and knowing full well that these cars are built to last a long time. I actually see myself as a smart consumer for making that choice.

I think the styling is why a lot of people don't like it. However, I still think that if Lexus had a 500 HP version of this car with upgraded brakes and a lowered and more sport tuned suspension, this topic wouldn't be 3 pages long. The LF-A and IS 500 can't come soon enough.

Lexus has lead the mass production luxury market in America in quality and value since it's been here. Their cars are getting better. Their cars are as driver oriented as they've ever been, and only improving. If you enjoy the finest quality from the material of your dashboard to your paintjob for less than the Germans and topping that off with better long term reliability, you will like Lexus. Just because you know cars doesn't mean you're all out after performance.

Edit: and one more thing, if you're getting this car as a daily driving car, I'd strongly suggest the Lexus as well. The ride is smooth and comfortable. Nothing like coming home from work in comfort 8)

I agree... im buying a lease return for sure... the 65K price tag is just too much for new... however im going with the 06+ model.... im trying to shoot for this december if Not ill shoot next year in december for a 1 year lease return... i think they discontinue in 08.... hopefully SC460 can be plopped into their... if thats the case then i will wait for that upgrade
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

If the spy shots of the "Supra" actually resemble the shapes from the Nurburgring tests...

I'll be saving up for a long time...

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
If the spy shots of the "Supra" actually resemble the shapes from the Nurburgring tests...

I'll be saving up for a long time...

according to wiki they said toyota execs will never bring the supra back. Claiming "the supra is not in the interest of toyota right now or ever in the future". They also said the nururburging tests is the concept Lexus Lf-A not the supra...

IMO I think toyota will bring back a super car with the LExus badge.. I think 02 is the last we will ever see production of the Supra... Unless they do a retro thing like all of our US companies..but Toyota does not buy into that. Like their advertisments say.... "Moving Forward"
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

It's a shame how Toyota killed off the Supra for the US market. I believe the last Supra in the US was in 1998, or about 4 years before the namesake was finally dropped for good.

Toyota should at least bring out a 350z or Rx8 competitor. I do think that if Toyota does another $40-50k+ sports car, it would probably wear the Lexus badge, at least in the states. Looking at those spy shorts at Nurburgring, I do think it's the LF-A.

The Supra was ahead of it's time. If it had been around during the Fast and The Furious boom of the early 2000's, I think it might have survived, despite it's fairly hefty price tag. Although Toyota is focusing on family cars, they should take a look at how successful their Scion brand has been. That should tell them that there is a market for a sports car, Supra name or not. I'm not talking about a Tc or a Celica here. And it should at the minimum share the 3.5 300+ HP engine of the IS and GS, with the option for a larger engine. The 350z has been successful as well.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject:

It shouldn't be THAT difficult to make a Supra if Toyota wanted to.

Just share the drivetrain of the IS350 and possibly create a new tranny or two, sequential and stick geared differently.

shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Toyota just don't do sports cars like they used to anymore... and yet they're involved in F1?

They should really make a true sports car... not one that's necessarily too expensive.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, let's face it, they suck at F1. All that money spent... and they were just an average car at best. Poorest value for money out there.

I just wish they'd bring back the MR2. That car is arguably my fav all-rounder. Reliable. Light. Adequate power. Gas. MidEngine, Rear Drive. MKIIs are still damn good looking until now.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Well, let's face it, they suck at F1. All that money spent... and they were just an average car at best. Poorest value for money out there.

I just wish they'd bring back the MR2. That car is arguably my fav all-rounder. Reliable. Light. Adequate power. Gas. MidEngine, Rear Drive. MKIIs are still damn good looking until now.

Ya the Mr2's are beautiful! but sources said toyota was losing money in sales to more luxury roadsters such as the TT, s2k, clk, Z conv, BMW Z's, and miatas, all of those cars out performed the Mr2. Hell even the SOlara coupe conv is taking a dip into the toilet. If you expect any type of affordable pocket rocket 4 cyl roadster expect em in a scion badge not a toyota. The toyota badge is strictly for family or business needs right now.... If they bring a V6 or V8 2 door sports car it should only have an affordable price tag between 30-36K. I doubt this will happen becuase the last supra that rolled off the lot in 98 had a 70K dollar price tag. I highly doubt toyota will ever venture into that market again.

also strict emission laws in 98 halted the supra from ever returning so did the 3000gt, 300zx, and rx-7. also known as the fab 4

BUT DONT WORRY....

what happened a few years later... the eclipse has a V6 NA, the 350z has a V6 NA, and the rx-8 has a rotary NA.... what is toyota gonna do? THEY NEED A FAMILY SPORT COUPE TO COMPETE....

Lexus is soon brining a Luxury Super car that will compete against the Viper, Vette, GTR, etc.. but the price range will be damn near 100K... thats why Im buying this model SC coupe while the price is still affordable.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

mike...

as soon as the solara hits the toilet expect a wicked redesign by 09-10 that will boast probabally the same 350 engine in the IS and it will come 2 doors 2+2 electronic rectractable t-top ..... i garundamtee iit
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: