Bizarre prep football playoff Monday night

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Bizarre prep football playoff Monday night

Quote:
Bizarre prep football playoff Monday night
NBC2 News

SOUTHWEST FLORIDA:
The 5A-12 District Tiebreaker takes place Monday, October 30 at North Fort Myers High School. It matches three schools in what could be three quarters of football. The "games" start at 7:00 pm and tickets will be $6.

North Fort Myers, Fort Myers, and Cape Coral will take part.

In the first quarter of play, number three seed Fort Myers takes on number two seed Cape Coral. The team winning after that quarter of play will then take on number one seed North Fort Myers in the second quarter of the "game." A third quarter will only be played if North Fort Myers loses the second quarter.

Seeding is based on overall win-loss percentage. Each participating team gets two timeouts per quarter. If the score is tied at the end of regulation, the 10-Yard Line Overtime Tiebreaker Plan will be used to determine a winner.

If the number one seed loses to the winner of the second and third seeds, then the school that beats the number one seed wins the district.

The number one seed would then play the loser of the number two and three seeds to figure out the district runner-up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Holy schamoly! Why not just play football?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

That is the stupidest thing I have heard of. Why not have the kids just show up and have a haiku contest, or an American Idol-type showdown?

Seriously, I thought they knew football down in Florida. I have heard of coin tosses to decide outcomes, and that's horrible too - but having those two teams play one quarter?! Only to play another quarter if they advance? Horrible.

I'm interested to hear what the '10-yard line overtime tiebreaker plan' is. I assume they mean lining the teams up at the 10 and seeing if they can score, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were something like, 'line up on the 10, then do an interpretive dance of football - those who convey the message best will be declared winner'.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Noel Devine the top rated HS running back in the nation plays for North Fort Meyers.

Weird tiebreaker.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Something like that happened my senior year of HS. We finished in a 3 way tie for first place and had to play a one game playoff. We played an abbreviated half and after we won we had to play the third team in a 8 minute "quarter." It was pretty wild with the gym packed with the fans of all three schools.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
Something like that happened my senior year of HS. We finished in a 3 way tie for first place and had to play a one game playoff. We played an abbreviated half and after we won we had to play the third team in a 8 minute "quarter." It was pretty wild with the gym packed with the fans of all three schools.
You played football in a gym?
pedro_the_wango
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:

I think maybe he's talking about basketball.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: