Whitlock takes 'shots' @ ESPN's Stuart Scott

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Whitlock takes 'shots' @ ESPN's Stuart Scott

Quote:
Memo to Stu Scott: Dude, I like your work. I defend your rapping and rhyming on SportsCenter because it’s harmless and you’re just delivering highlights in a unique style. But you went too far with it at halftime Monday night with your Jay-Z intro and damn near set off bojangling alarms all over my house …Flavorizing highlights with a little hip-hop slang on SportsCenter is one thing, but using Jay-Z’s alternate nickname – “Jigga” – at halftime of “Monday Night Football” is ridiculous and offensive.

Stu, you are not Big Tigger and you ain’t on BET. It’s “Monday Night Football.” Look, the ESPN executives were stupid for foisting Jay-Z’s latest video on football fans. If Roger Goodell had a brain, he’d check with David Stern about the damage done to the NBA’s image by tying itself too closely to the hip hop crowd … no one cares that you know Jay-Z’s other name, and the “MNF” audience doesn’t want to waste time wondering whether you just called him “N-word-a” or “Jigaboo” …you confused, irritated and offended 95 percent of your audience. And for what? A couple of fist pounds the next time you see Kanye and Jay?

Overall, I like your work, but consider this a bojangling warning. The next stop is a bright red nose, floppy shoes, green hair and a full clown suit. They’re still talking about the one I stitched for one of your colleagues.

The Big Lead
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject:

Yeah, talk to David Stern about imagery used at a sporting event. He will tell you how a great success it was at the NBA All-Star game a few years ago when Big & Rich and some crippled midget were playing the halftime show with some stupid ass cowboy song.

Way to know your audience, David.

As for Stu, I can't tell if what he is doing is schtick, or if that is how he really is in person. I just want to hear the sports news, not hear you in character. Add some humor, sure, but don't try too damn hard because it just comes out looking awkward.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Yeah, talk to David Stern about imagery used at a sporting event. He will tell you how a great success it was at the NBA All-Star game a few years ago when Big & Rich and some crippled midget were playing the halftime show with some stupid ass cowboy song.

As for Stu, I can't tell if what he is doing is schtick, or if that is how he really is in person. I just want to hear the sports news, not hear you in character. Add some humor, sure, but don't try too damn hard because it just comes out looking awkward.

Those that love the "stupid ass cowboy songs", probably think the same thing about your music.

Think about the fact that not every NBA team plays in LA or NY. Teams all over the place with fans that like different kinds of music.

Personally, I like all kinds of music (as has been shown repeatedly in this OT forum)... including Big & Rich.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

Raise your hand if you would pay to see Stu Scott dressed up in a clown suit while beating on Whitlock with a tennis ball stuffed in a tube sock?
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

The funny thing is Scott Van Pelt makes better hip-hop references on SportsCenter than Stuart Scott does.
totoro714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject:

Sturat Scott is straight gangsta
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:

^^^he's ok....he gets annoying after a while.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

Whitlock is a fat POS.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

sweet sassy molassy.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Seems like Whitlock has a personal vendetta againts ESPN after they canned his ass. I would rather see his response to Scoop's intelligent counterattack than his jabs at Stuart Scott (who I find to be very amusing). The fact that Whitlock changed his focus to Scott just shows that he has no response to Scoop. Whitlock is one bitter dude...get over it man.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
The funny thing is Scott Van Pelt makes better hip-hop references on SportsCenter than Stuart Scott does.

Stuart Scott is dangerously close to Chris Berman and John Madden territory. he's rapidly becoming a bad charicature of himself. BTW, he's about as "street" as a Vanilla Ice album.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Those that love the "stupid ass cowboy songs", probably think the same thing about your music.

Think about the fact that not every NBA team plays in LA or NY. Teams all over the place with fans that like different kinds of music.

Personally, I like all kinds of music (as has been shown repeatedly in this OT forum)... including Big & Rich.

Even though I've only heard of big & Rich prior to that halftime show, but never listened to their music. That song wasn't bad at all. and I'm a hiphop fan pure hiphop fan. but pure fan of music also. So its true. I dont want all rap, all rock, all nothing. I want a nice little mix. for the records without other genre's hiphop would not exist.

now back to Stu. He does over do it from time to time. now question? is that Stu being Stu or is he trying to be over the top to stay on top?I would prefer he kept it the way he made it big. throw in a little line or two and thats about it.

its the same thing Dick Vitale did to blow up. He spoke in slang terms, street ball court terms. which was refreshing. then he started making up Dickie V slang. PTPer, etc As long as you dont over do it and understand that you're not there to be HIPHOP or to keep it real. you're there to keep it Sports.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

This reminds me of Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. These guys need some sort of tagline or "thing" that differentiates them. Something that makes them stand out in a pool of thousands of potential commentators so they can get the big job that's gonna put food on the table. It does get pretty silly at times and I agree with postandpivot - it's all about using it in moderation. I don't care about Scott mixing it in, but it'd get pretty annoying if he was overdoing it. Fine line I'd imagine.

So really, Whitlock does have a valid point. But he went about it in such a holier than thou way. And given the circumstances in which he was booted out of ESPN, he just comes across as a whiny guy mad about getting fired. He needs to get over this and move on. He's only sacrificing his own credibility by harping on ESPN all the time.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Whitlock's "Bojangling" witch hunt is getting tired. So other black writers don't write like you. Get over it.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Whitlock's "Bojangling" witch hunt is getting tired. So other black writers don't write like you. Get over it.
Exactly... who's next on Whitlock's 'hit list"... Steve A Smith?

Like one poster said,... just report sports news and show some game highlights...

I also believe, it's an act... Sports Center has writers...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: