Party Poker out of business for USA players

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Party Poker out of business for USA players

Thanks President Bush and Congress, I really need you to regulate things I do from the privacy of my own home like gamble on the computer.

Us grown ups don't really need you inflicting your morals on us.

This country is swirling the drain, very Orwellian the amount of control the government is exerting over every aspect of our lives. What's next, madatory microchips in our heads to track our every move?
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Lanny - what's going on with PP? I use PokerStars.com. Is this something that could happen to all the poker sites?

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

The government controls what you see on TV, what you hear on the radio, and what you read in papers. Of course the Internet and other media are the next to follow. Bush owes too much to the religious right that got him elected.

I like how they slipped this into the Ports Bill so they could push it through as quietly and easily as possible.

I also love this: http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/07/12.8.shtml

Quote:
Backers say the bill will help curb money laundering and other criminal activities. Web-based poker and betting sites, they claim, are often based overseas and used as a front by drug dealers and terrorists to move money, and prey on children and gambling addicts.

I'm surprised they didn't use "9/11", "rapists", and "murderers" in there as well. Of course, now what they're going to do is drive all of the online gambling underground where people will be more vulnerable to shady dealings. And now that they've started blocking off certain online services, what's to stop them from blocking off access to anything else? Message boards for instance?

I don't play poker or gamble online. But this is just foreshadowing of more unecessary legislation to come. Ridiculous.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

can someone fill me in on what is going on?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Here's an article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/13/politics/main2087917.shtml

Bottom line is Bush signed a bill today that claims to tighten security around our U.S. shipping ports. Snuck into that bill was a provision that prohibits U.S. players from using credit cards, checks and electronic fund transfers to settle their online wagers. So effectively they're going after the ability to pay or receive cash in order to shut off online gambling. That's it in a nutshell.

This effects the way every online gambling site operates with U.S. players because now a U.S. player cannot conduct monetary transactions with these sites. Of course you can move money offshore and go through those sorts of channels, or go through underground sites that will find ways to manage transactions, but you open yourself to all sorts of risks in the process.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
Lanny - what's going on with PP? I use PokerStars.com. Is this something that could happen to all the poker sites?

Party Poker is essentially dead if you live in the USA. They will no longer run any tourneys for money or let you deposit money or play for money if you live in the USA. I am just hoping I get my balance out before the US Government "liberates" me some more by stealing that too.

I think all online gambling could be in big big trouble unless Big Brother backs off with the obscene intrusion into our personal lives and extreme infringement on our freedom.

It just seems like more and more the USA is moving towards some type of society that is far removed from the constitutional protections that were once sacred.

Below is the horror message you get when you log-in to Party Poker. Australia or Switzerland is looking real good right about now, do they have the NBA Season Pass there?

----------------------

US LEGISLATION INFORMATION

The President of the United States has signed legislation that now causes PartyGaming to have to cease taking wagers from U.S. customers. We will also suspend accepting deposits from U.S. customers and examine potential offerings to U.S. customers that would be within the new law. This will not affect the Play For Free games and your Account will remain accessible.

Non-US players and all Play for Free games will not be affected.

If, like us, you think this new law is unfair and unjust, have your say now at the Poker Players Alliance.

Visit our FAQ for more Information
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

I just tried to deposit on PokerStars and got the message that my bank or credit card company had adopted a policy against allowing transactions that deal with online gaming.

This just feels wrong.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
I just tried to deposit on PokerStars and got the message that my bank or credit card company had adopted a policy against allowing transactions that deal with online gaming.

This just feels wrong.

Bleep

The horror, the horror.....Friday the 13th indeed.

I guess I am actually going to have to start talking with my family again or something at night instead of play poker!
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
NoMoreGame7s wrote:

This just feels wrong.

Bleep

The horror, the horror.....Friday the 13th indeed.

I guess I am actually going to have to start talking with my family again or something at night instead of play poker!

Or get a NETELLER account.

Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Wow! When did polictical discussion once again become acceptable!?

I must have missed that memo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: