The best and worst trades in L.A. sports history?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Paul Konerko for Jeff Shaw I believe.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Paul Konerko for Jeff Shaw I believe.

Yep, and that was another one done out of need. Konerko played 3B, 1B and outfield, and the Dodgers had several guys playing 3rd, Karros at first and Mondesi, Hollandsworth and Brett Butler in the OF (in '97 I mean). Todd Worrell had retired at the end of '97, and the Dodgers had a young Beltre playing part time at 3rd, and now Sheff was in the OF the following season. The closer for the Dodgers was Scott Radinsky, who was probably more occupied with his band. The trade went down right before the All-Star game, on July 4th. I happened to be at the Dodger game that day (at the 'Stick, in SF) and we watched Konerko get walked down from the dugout to the clubhouse in like, the 3rd or 4th inning (Candlestick had the clubhouse down the lines, so players had to walk down say, the first base line to get from the dugout to the clubhouse). We of course were wondering what was going on, then we heard the Giants announcers - Bob Brenley at that time - say that the trade happened. Konerko for Shaw, who didn't play a game yet for LA but played in the All-Star game in a Dodgers uniform.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

The Dodgers worst was trading Pedro.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject:

No stick Delino for Pedro was terrible. Grant included as part of the Shaq trade, required somebody to have been sniffing glue.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
encina1 wrote:
How did the Kings get Wayne Gretzky? Was that a trade?

Yes, Wayne Gretzky was traded to the LA Kings on August 9, 1988 along with Marty McSorley, Mike Krushelnyski for $15 million, Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas and the Kings first round draft picks in 1989, 1991 and 1993 (which ended up being Jason Miller, Martin Rucinsky and Nick Stajduhar).

It was a huge deal, especially up here in Canada, where a lot of haters said Gretzky sold out to move to the US (and still do today) because of his new wife Janet Jones-Gretzky. But, without the Great One in LA I don't think there would be NHL franchises in Anaheim, San Jose, Florida, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Nashville etc.

I say it was a great trade....the Kings got the greatest player to play the game and the NHL got US exposure and franchises in non-traditional hockey markets. The don't call him the Great One for nothing!

Yeah, but the Kings didn't yield any titles from the trade. Kareem trade and Kobe trade probably rank up there as the best L.A. trades ever. Both trades yielded titles as a result of the players.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Canadian Laker wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Yes, Wayne Gretzky was traded to the LA Kings on August 9, 1988 along with Marty McSorley, Mike Krushelnyski for $15 million, Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas and the Kings first round draft picks in 1989, 1991 and 1993 (which ended up being Jason Miller, Martin Rucinsky and Nick Stajduhar).

It was a huge deal, especially up here in Canada, where a lot of haters said Gretzky sold out to move to the US (and still do today) because of his new wife Janet Jones-Gretzky. But, without the Great One in LA I don't think there would be NHL franchises in Anaheim, San Jose, Florida, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Nashville etc.

I say it was a great trade....the Kings got the greatest player to play the game and the NHL got US exposure and franchises in non-traditional hockey markets. The don't call him the Great One for nothing!

Yeah, but the Kings didn't yield any titles from the trade. Kareem trade and Kobe trade probably rank up there as the best L.A. trades ever. Both trades yielded titles as a result of the players.

No titles, but I get the feeling the owner and others made a whole ton of money because of Wayne coming to the US.

Then again, that owner then got indicted and charged with tax fraud and a whole bunch of other illegalities, but hey, he had fun for a while
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Canadian Laker wrote:
encina1 wrote:

No titles, but I get the feeling the owner and others made a whole ton of money because of Wayne coming to the US.

Then again, that owner then got indicted and charged with tax fraud and a whole bunch of other illegalities, but hey, he had fun for a while

True, the Kings didn't win the Stanley Cup but they did make it to the finals in 1993, winning the first game, then losing the next 3 in overtime before dropping the fifth game. So, Gretzky took them to within 3 goals of a Stanley Cup sweep.

To me, beating the Toronto Maple Leafs in the semi's is almost as good as a Stanley Cup win......the fans here in TO still whine about that!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: