33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
chef wrote:
I use a pair of kitchen tongs and transer it to the plate or a cutting board. I don't want to overcook my steak! (I like it mediumrare). As long as you don't pierce the meat it should be generally ok.

I think he was asking how you finish it off in the oven after searing it, not how you rest it.

My answer: If whatever you put the meat on when you put it in the oven isn't already hot, you're just going to slow the process. But you don't want it to be so hot that you over-sear it. On the grill, after searing it directly on the grate over high flame with the lid open, I move it up to the top grate, back the flame down to medium, and finish it off with the lid closed. In the oven I heat a pan up with the oven, and transfer it to that to finish it off. That way, the pan is the same temperature as the oven.

Two more comments:

1. I like to use a digital termometer with a probe -- the kind where you can leave the probe in the meat while it cooks. Fewer errors that way. I set the alarm for 145 degrees or so (depending on the meat), and pull it when the alarm goes off.

2. Whatever you're cooking with, be sure to give it enough time to warm up. For the grill, that means the grate gets hot enough to sear properly. In the oven, that means the walls of the oven are brought up to temperature, and not just the air inside the oven (which escapes when you open the door, leaving the oven cooler than you want when you put your meat in). Leaving something like a pizza stone inside your oven helps.

Agreed re: using the same pan on stove and in oven.

Personally, with a cast-iron, I've often gotten away with searing in the skillet and then taking the skillet off the heat, then trhowing a flat pan across the top to seal it off and let it cook. Seriously -- the cast-iron skillet, once properly heated (and by that I mean about 3-4 minutes on freaking high before adding the meat to it) conducts heat so efficiently that it stays warm a DANG long time. If the meat's seared on it,a nd you seal it, there' a lot of heat trapped in there radiating from the bottom and walls of the skillet.

I'd only do it with maybe 1-1 1/2 inch cuts, nothing too thick. Too long like that and you end up getting a kind of wet heat from the moisture trapped in there, causing more steam rather than a roasting effect.

And larry -- digital thermometers rock. Kind of hard to use with traditional steaks, but great on tenderloin medallions, not to mention roast birds.

MIM
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
chef wrote:
I use a pair of kitchen tongs and transer it to the plate or a cutting board. I don't want to overcook my steak! (I like it mediumrare). As long as you don't pierce the meat it should be generally ok.

I think he was asking how you finish it off in the oven after searing it, not how you rest it.

My answer: If whatever you put the meat on when you put it in the oven isn't already hot, you're just going to slow the process. But you don't want it to be so hot that you over-sear it. On the grill, after searing it directly on the grate over high flame with the lid open, I move it up to the top grate, back the flame down to medium, and finish it off with the lid closed. In the oven I heat a pan up with the oven, and transfer it to that to finish it off. That way, the pan is the same temperature as the oven.

ahh...thanks, i misread it. I just stick the same pan I'm using into the oven. I usually just check on the meat by pressing to see how firm it is...not the best way, but that's what i do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: