Should The DMV Require Elderly Drivers To Re-Take The Written And In-Car Drivers License Exam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Should The DMV Require Elderly Drivers To Re-Take The Written And In-Car Drivers License Exam?

In light of the ongoing George Weller trial (87-year-old man who killed 10 people when he drove his car through a Farmer's Market), do you think the DMV should require elderly drivers to submit to a written and in-car driving exam?

If so, at what age should this be required?

Start at age 60 and re-test every two years?
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

Good post, I was reading this in People magazine the other day, and after the incident that occured in Santa Monica with the elderly driver running over and killing many people, I think they need to re-evaluate how often a senior citizen should drive, or to certain restrictions.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

Anybody know if they 're-test' in other states and/or countries? If so, at what age?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Anybody know if they 're-test' in other states and/or countries? If so, at what age?

I think in California, once you turn 70 or 75 they re-test, not completely sure about this though.....
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Should The DMV Require Elderly Drivers To Re-Take The Written And In-Car Drivers License Exam?

FredG wrote:
In light of the ongoing George Weller trial (87-year-old man who killed 10 people when he drove his car through a Farmer's Market), do you think the DMV should require elderly drivers to submit to a written and in-car driving exam?

yes they should. old people can't drive. especially old women
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:

OLD FARTS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO DRIVE...PERIOD!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

Neither should 16-21 year old kids.

As for the examinations... the whole system needs to be revamped. Its pathetically easy to get a license. They need to implement something like Germany.

Quote:

25-45 hours of instruction, 12 hours of theory, plus practical experience including night and Autobahn driving.

Take the practical on-the-road test, which will be conducted by a driving school and will last about an hour. It will most likely include a short trip on the Autobahn.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

yes...i also believe that if you have a lisence when you're in highschool, it be HEAVILY restricted.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

As for the examinations... the whole system needs to be revamped. Its pathetically easy to get a license. They need to implement something like Germany.

Quote:

25-45 hours of instruction, 12 hours of theory, plus practical experience including night and Autobahn driving.

Take the practical on-the-road test, which will be conducted by a driving school and will last about an hour. It will most likely include a short trip on the Autobahn.

Age grouping sucks. I'm 18 and have been driving for two years and haven't hit anyone, haven't gotten a ticket, or caused anything to be a detriment to other drivers on the street. There are always exceptions to the harsh generalizations people make.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
yes...i also believe that if you have a lisence when you're in highschool, it be HEAVILY restricted.

In Jersey you don't get an 'unrestricted license' until you are 18... at 17 you can get a 'provisional license' (you may not drive between midnight and 5 a.m. except for employment or religious exemptions. Also, passengers are limited to one, plus family members or passengers over 21).

I'm glad that wasn't the case when I was in high school,... or I would of been walking to college...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
JD wrote:

Quote:

Age grouping sucks. I'm 18 and have been driving for two years and haven't hit anyone, haven't gotten a ticket, or caused anything to be a detriment to other drivers on the street. There are always exceptions to the harsh generalizations people make.

That was his point.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:

isnt there a statistic that says teenagers get into more accidents than adults? i could be wrong. I was 18 when i got my lisence. only had one at fault accident when i was 19, since then ive been clean.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
isnt there a statistic that says teenagers get into more accidents than adults? i could be wrong. I was 18 when i got my lisence. only had one at fault accident when i was 19, since then ive been clean.

Most insurance companies have these types of statistics on file. If you look at the difference in rates between someone who's 17 or 18 and someone who's 35, clearly there's evidence that younger drivers get into more accidents.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject:

If anyone here is over 60 (JD?) then absolutely not!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:

I gotta few years before 60.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Should The DMV Require Elderly Drivers To Re-Take The Written And In-Car Drivers License Exam?

frijolero01 wrote:
FredG wrote:

yes they should. old people can't drive. especially old women

truth be told. most people can't drive according to DMV rules and Regs. so lets be honest, its a few more groups of folk that need to be retaking that test. its not just Old schoolers. Teens in general. women driving with make-up. men/women eating while driving. men/women eating and talking on the cell while making a left turn in a crowded intersection.

ladies texting while driving. which is utterly ridiculous. no seriously. Text messaging and driving at the same time(not stopped at a light, actually moving). is worse then drunk driving.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject:

How about re-testing if you have more than one moving violation in 12 months or something? I mean, you have to do a couple hours online for a DMV driving school in order to cancel a normal ticket, right?

OR, what about submitting a medical exam if you've been in accident with any sort of physical injury to you? Just to prove you're physically capable of driving again.

MIM
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Should The DMV Require Elderly Drivers To Re-Take The Written And In-Car Drivers License Exam?

postandpivot wrote:
men/women eating and talking on the cell while making a left turn in a crowded intersection.

I've found that the key to making a left turn is really paying attention to the speed of oncoming traffic (no-brainer) and waiting until the last possible moment to make that turn, even if it's on a red light. I don't know how many times I've seen someone speed up on a yellow to make it through the light. I don't care if the person behind me honks. I really "wait" on those left turns. Another bonus is that if you are involved in a "left turn" accident (God forbid), and there are witnesses who were facing perpendicular to oncoming traffic, and saw their light turn green even before you turned, that helps your case.

postandpivot wrote:
ladies texting while driving. which is utterly ridiculous. no seriously. Text messaging and driving at the same time(not stopped at a light, actually moving). is worse then drunk driving.

Texting and on the phone. I agree it's utterly ridiculous, but I think what separates the two is the unpredictability of the decision-making process of drunk drivers. Add to the already slow reaction times, swerving, driving on the wrong side of the road, driving at high speeds, etc., and you have a possible fatality waiting to happen. And often it's not the drunk driver who is killed.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:

i don't like driving while talking on the phone. 1. its uncomfortable and dangerous and 2. im a music guy and i want to hear my music. I don't have one of those nifty hands free devices but i want to get one. They should come up with a law forbidding the use of cellphones while driving unless you have a hands free device. If i had a nickel for everytime ive been cutt off because some bimbo/mimbo is using their phone....id have a (bleep) load of nickels.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject:

NO not at all my dad is 64 and I think hes still a better driver than me
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: