PHISHING ALERT: Scam email trying to get bank account info

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: PHISHING ALERT: Scam email trying to get bank account info

I received the below email, twice today. I immediately suspected online fraud, as while I do have a Wells Fargo account, the email I have on record, is not the one that this was sent to. Plus... your bank is not going to send these kinds of (bleep) emails. I noticed that their redirect link wasn't visible with my online email reader, so I viewed the source and found this link.

http://www.pastelcarrot.net/event/.online/index.php

Which redirects to this URL: http://69.49.224.192/backup/.online/.wellsfargo.com/session.php
The redirected URL asks for username, password and ATM PIN.

I looked up the domain name information and came up with the following registrant for "pastelcarrot.net"

Registrant: Netgroove works
1-21-19,Minami
Ushiku-shi, Ibaraki 567-0031
JP

Domain name: PASTELCARROT.NET

Administrative Contact:
Uchida, Hironobu carrot (@) pastelcarrot.net
1-21-19,Minami
JP
0298-78-2612 Fax: 0298-78-2613

Technical Contact:
Uchida, Hironobu carrot _at_ pastelcarrot.net
1-21-19,Minami
JP

Registration Service Provider:
Netgroove works co.,ltd, support [AT] netgroove.ne.jp
+81.298782612
+81.298782613 (fax)
http://www.netgroove.ne.jp/

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 04-Sep-2006.
Record expires on 19-Sep-2008.
Record created on 19-Sep-2001.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.PASTELCARROT.NET 61.211.239.157
NS2.PASTELCARROT.NET 61.211.239.157

Scumbag Phisher wrote:

Dear Wells Fargo Online Customer:

Wells Fargo is constantly striving to provide you with more convenience, control, and security to assist in managing your finances.

As part of our ongoing efforts to make it easier for you to use our online services, we have revised the Online Access Agreement for Wells Fargo Online® and Wells Fargo Business Online® Services that you reviewed and accepted when you began to use Wells Fargo Online ®.

To review the changes, click on the link below:

* Online Access Agreement (this is where the morons couldn't link properly - JD)

If, after reading the revised Online Access Agreement, you wish to cancel your online services, please contact our Customer Service Representatives through Contact Us within Wells Fargo.

We look forward to continuing to provide you excellent service.

© 1995 – 2006 Wells Fargo. All rights reserved.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: PHISHING ALERT: Scam email trying to get bank account info

JD wrote:
I received the below email, twice today. I immediately suspected online fraud, as while I do have a Wells Fargo account, the email I have on record, is not the one that this was sent to. Plus... your bank is not going to send these kinds of (bleep) emails. I noticed that their redirect link wasn't visible with my online email reader, so I viewed the source and found this link.

http://www.pastelcarrot.net/event/.online/index.php

Which redirects to this URL: http://69.49.224.192/backup/.online/.wellsfargo.com/session.php
The redirected URL asks for username, password and ATM PIN.

I looked up the domain name information and came up with the following registrant for "pastelcarrot.net"

Registrant: Netgroove works
1-21-19,Minami
JP

Domain name: PASTELCARROT.NET

Administrative Contact:
Uchida, Hironobu carrot -at- pastelcarrot.net
1-21-19,Minami
JP

Technical Contact:
Uchida, Hironobu carrot [AT] pastelcarrot.net
1-21-19,Minami
JP

Registration Service Provider:
Netgroove works co.,ltd, support _at_ netgroove.ne.jp
+81.298782612
+81.298782613 (fax)
http://www.netgroove.ne.jp/

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 04-Sep-2006.
Record expires on 19-Sep-2008.
Record created on 19-Sep-2001.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.PASTELCARROT.NET 61.211.239.157
NS2.PASTELCARROT.NET 61.211.239.157

Scumbag Phisher wrote:

Dear Wells Fargo Online Customer:

Wells Fargo is constantly striving to provide you with more convenience, control, and security to assist in managing your finances.

As part of our ongoing efforts to make it easier for you to use our online services, we have revised the Online Access Agreement for Wells Fargo Online® and Wells Fargo Business Online® Services that you reviewed and accepted when you began to use Wells Fargo Online ®.

To review the changes, click on the link below:

* Online Access Agreement (this is where the morons couldn't link properly - JD)

If, after reading the revised Online Access Agreement, you wish to cancel your online services, please contact our Customer Service Representatives through Contact Us within Wells Fargo.

We look forward to continuing to provide you excellent service.

© 1995 – 2006 Wells Fargo. All rights reserved.

shady thieves. makes you wonder though. Would you rather get knocked in the head for a few hundred bucks, or thousands taking out of your savings thru the internet???
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:

The phishing scams are a dime a dozen.

One rule of thumb is to not click on links that you receive in an email. Clicking the link can direct, or even redirect you, to a phony site, and it also alerts the scammers to the fact that it's a live email address.

If you need to access a website of say Bankxyz, just open up a new browser and enter the address yourself or access it like you otherwise would.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
The phishing scams are a dime a dozen.

One rule of thumb is to not click on links that you receive in an email. Clicking the link can direct, or even redirect you, to a phony site, and it also alerts the scammers to the fact that it's a live email address.

If you need to access a website of say Bankxyz, just open up a new browser and enter the address yourself or access it like you otherwise would.
WORD...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: PHISHING ALERT: Scam email trying to get bank account info

JD wrote:
I received the below email, twice today. I immediately suspected online fraud,

JD, I must get five or ten phishes a day -- have you really not seen these literally hundreds of times by now? For me, they've long since faded into the background noise along with the Nigerian scam e-mail, low-cost drugs, low low low rate mortgates, penile enlargement, etc.

Basically, no force on Earth will get me to click on a link in an e-mail, and no force on Earth will get me to open an e-mail attachment unless I know specifically what it is and I was already expecting it. And I'm seriously considering setting up sandbox environments even to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: PHISHING ALERT: Scam email trying to get bank account info

LarryCoon wrote:
JD, I must get five or ten phishes a day -- have you really not seen these literally hundreds of times by now? For me, they've long since faded into the background noise along with the Nigerian scam e-mail, low-cost drugs, low low low rate mortgates, penile enlargement, etc.

Basically, no force on Earth will get me to click on a link in an e-mail, and no force on Earth will get me to open an e-mail attachment unless I know specifically what it is and I was already expecting it. And I'm seriously considering setting up sandbox environments even to do that.

Yes... I've seen my share of phishing scams (though, I only get maybe 3-5 a month). Only reason I posted this one, is because it was Wells Fargo and they have a pretty big presence in the western states (our neck of the woods).
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: PHISHING ALERT: Scam email trying to get bank account info

LarryCoon wrote:
JD wrote:
I received the below email, twice today. I immediately suspected online fraud,

Ahhh, the Nigerian scam! That's my favorite. I wonder how many people possibly fall for something like that.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: PHISHING ALERT: Scam email trying to get bank account info

Socks wrote:
Ahhh, the Nigerian scam! That's my favorite. I wonder how many people possibly fall for something like that.

Scarily, a lot. There have been some stories of people who were taken to the cleaners. There was one woman who was a secretary at a law firm who "borrowed" the firms' clients' contingency deposits, thinking she'd only need the money for a day or two, nobody would ever notice, and she'd pay it back (and more) right away with all the money she was getting. Complete moron.

There are a couple of sites dedicated to people who "reverse scammed" the scammers. Some of them are hilarious.

EDIT: Here's one of the best ones: The Church of the Painted Breast
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:

^ nice find
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject:

I've gotten these from eBay before. The first time I thought for sure it was legit so I signed in and nothing happend, that's when I realized what was going on. After that I quickly changed my login info. I only wish I knew how to get to people just by knowing their IP.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

ah yea, the "IM the widow of a african king whose plane was shot down, and whose assets have been frozen by the evil militia army. PLease help me by lending me your account, and for doing so, I will repay you in the amount of X dollars, and my nations people will be so ever grateful"

"oh and by the way, my email account is a freebie yahoo account"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: