Lakers in the News: 5/23/12: Rumor Time: Derron Williams has Lakers on his list

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News: 5/23/12: Rumor Time: Derron Williams has Lakers on his list

Report: Deron Williams has Lakers on his list (behind Nets)

Kurt Helin

May 23, 2012, 3:18 PM EDT

A Deron Williams and Kobe Bryant backcourt, with Andrew Bynum in the paint. That team could be very dangerous.

Apparently, Deron Williams has thought about it.

In an article where he says the Lakers and Magic need to do a Bynum for Dwight Howard swap, Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated drops some interesting knowledge about D-Will.

A source close to the three-time All-Star said he would be interested in joining the Lakers, though it would have to be via a sign-and-trade deal. (Lakers point guard Ramon Sessions, who was acquired from Cleveland at the trade deadline, has a $4.5 million player option for next season.) The source said Williams’ preference,
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Report: Deron Williams prefers the Nets, but Mavericks and Lakers are in play

By Royce Young | NBA Blogger

Dallas doesn't have the inside track for D-Will. (Getty Images)

Zero hour is coming for the Brooklyn Nets.

The franchise took a major calculated risk in targeting Deron Williams in a trade that sent substantial assets and talent out the door. He's an unrestricted free agent this July and if he choose to sign elsewhere, the Nets will be back to square one.

But according to SI.com, it sounds like the Nets are at least still the leader in the clubhouse.

A source close to the three-time All-Star said he would be interested in joining the Lakers, though it would have to be via a sign-and-trade deal. (Lakers point guard Ramon Sessions, who was acquired from Cleveland at the trade deadline, has a $4.5 million player option for next season.)

The source said Williams' preference, however, is for the Nets to improve the roster sufficiently enough that he can feel good about staying put rather than fear a repeat of this season, when they finished 22-44. As for Dallas, which sacrificed its best chance to defend the title by preserving salary-cap space last summer in anticipation of this free-agent class, the source said of the Mavericks: "There's no longevity there." If owner Mark Cuban can clear enough space to sign a worthy sidekick for Williams, though, then maybe he'd join his hometown team after all.
chicky baby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Please please make this happen.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject:

NBA@2: The Lakers’ Andrew Bynum Dilemma

By Bill Ingram
Senior NBA Editor

For a brief period of time this season, I found myself thinking that maybe, just maybe, the Los Angeles Lakers really didn’t need Dwight Howard. There was a long stretch of games in March and April where Bynum looked like he might be the Lakers’ next franchise player, where he was the driving force behind the final push for the playoffs that went off without a glitch even as Kobe Bryant was sidelined with an injury.

Bynum had one of the best months of his career in March, when he averaged 22.2 points, 10.9 rebounds and just under two blocks per game. The Lakers weren’t dominant, going 11-6 in April, but Bynum was engaged, determined and an absolute beast.

April wasn’t that much different, as Bynum posted averages of 20.3 points, 10.3 rebounds and just over a block per game. The Lakers were 9-6 during that stretch despite the fact that Bryant sat out the middle of the month, going 5-1 without him.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject:

chicky baby wrote:

Steven A. spoke of it yesterday but insisted it was just hypothetical and he's not believed by many. He was talking about Bynum for Deron.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Lakers ride off uneasily into another bumpy offseason

Posted May 23 2012 10:25AM

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Four losses in five games should have said enough about the jarring offseason that awaits the Lakers. Four losses in eight days that underlined the fact that their roster again was unable to stand up to the emotional challenge of the second round and the superior talent of an opponent.

But just in case the losses weren't enough, very early Tuesday, hours after their elimination at the hands of the young Thunder in Oklahoma City, the Lakers headed home to heal and plot a response. The team plane jetted into the dark Oklahoma sky and was some 10 minutes into the journey when it happened.

Turbulence. Twenty minutes of bouncing through the night. Part roller coaster, part life as a mid-air punching bag.

It could be that kind of summer after a second bad beating in the Western Conference semifinals in as many years. There can be no conversation about what happens now, post Oklahoma City, without unearthing the horrid memories of Dallas '11.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Descend Into the Realm of Average

The Los Angeles Lakers are just two years removed from winning their second of back-to-back titles. But the sad reality for the team is that its second-round exit was no surprise — L.A. was a barely above-average team this season, lucky to reach the second round rather than unlucky to fall short of the conference finals.

The Lakers offense was slightly above average and the team’s defense was average. It outscored opponents by 1.4 points per game, which normally would have been good enough for the eighth seed in the West rather than the third seed. Without home-court advantage in the first round, which they barely got, the Lakers likely would have gone home much earlier. In short, as David Roth put it on this blog on Tuesday, the Lakers stopped being the Lakers.

Since leaguewide offense was down this season amid post-lockout rust, the average team got worse on offense but better on defense, statistically speaking. Not the Lakers, who slipped in each category. Last season L.A.’s offensive rating, or points per 100 possessions, was nearly four points better than league average, and L.A. was minus-3 defensively — meaning it was seven points better than average per 100 possessions. This year, those figures were +1.4 and 0.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Lakers agonize after failure

L.A.'s elimination by the Thunder in second round means it's time for painful finger-pointing

By GREG BEACHAM

Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol spent the final minutes of the Los Angeles Lakers' final game arguing in Oklahoma City, disagreeing on the best way to run a pick-and-roll play.

It might have been the tandem's last few minutes together with a franchise that has little patience when even great players stop bringing home rings.

The Lakers were eliminated in the second round for the second straight year Monday night with a five-game loss to the Thunder. Although the Lakers had a solid season despite getting no real training camp to make the enormous switch from coaches Phil Jackson to Mike Brown, they weren't as good as the National Basketball Association's best.

That likely means changes for a franchise and a fan base that considers seasons ending before June to be abject failures.

"I'm really not used to it, so it's pretty odd for me," Bryant said of another early-by-Lakers-standards exit. "I'm not the most patient of people, and the organization is not extremely patient either. We want to win and win now, so I'm sure we'll figure it out. We always have. I'm sure we will again."
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject:

More later if more becomes available.
chicky baby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
chicky baby wrote:

Steven A. spoke of it yesterday but insisted it was just hypothetical and he's not believed by many. He was talking about Bynum for Deron.

I would love to see Kobe be able to play the last part of his career without doing all the heavy lifting, aka making plays for others. Despite his all star status, I still think he's the most underrated PG in the game- there are no flaws I can really think of.
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject:

chicky baby wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
chicky baby wrote:

I would love to see Kobe be able to play the last part of his career without doing all the heavy lifting, aka making plays for others. Despite his all star status, I still think he's the most underrated PG in the game- there are no flaws I can really think of.

Williams is the most underrated PG in the NBA. That's statement is very true. He has a great court vision and a great play maker.
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Lakers First wrote:
chicky baby wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
chicky baby wrote:

Williams is the most underrated PG in the NBA. That's statement is very true. He has a great court vision and a great play maker.

Plus if he's healthy he can put up 20+ ppg easily, dude is a monster just like Kobe.

But I know Laker's would rather do a 3-way with Magic that involves Gasol not Bynum, but it wouldn't make much of a different short-term because Gasol at C can dominate just as well as Bynum right now.

Decisions, decisions. Brooklyn are looking for a big man as a #1 priority, they want Howard and Howard looks like he wants to go there, and if they can't get Howard to the nets without giving up Deron 3-way with Lakers seems the only option left for their franchise. Considering big men are hard to find and they're going nowhere with Deron.

Plus Deron wouldn't be happy in Dallas, Dallas is full of bad contracts and old players, it would take years before they could come up with a good enough roster.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject:

hate to say it.... but it sounds like hes trying to drive up value.

everyone's always rumored to be interested in playing for the lakers / with Kobe
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject:

danish87 wrote:

everyone's always rumored to be interested in playing for the lakers / with Kobe

It's true but at the same time Deron's been stuck on teams like Utah and New Jersey, not very contending teams, didn't Kobe and the Lakers sweep Jazz when he was still on their roster?

Also, from Deron's standpoint he has these options:

1) Join Dallas and hope Dwight comes along - Goes to Dallas when his contract is up and Dwight doesn't follow, is stuck with old Dirk,Marion,Kidd - all horrible contracts and aged, no titles coming out of there until 3 of those guys are gone
2) Join LA - Has Kobe Bryant, Gasol or Bynum (depending on which big Orlando would settle for if it was a three way), is on a big stage and is top 5 in the West with Kobe and a big who averages double doubles in his sleep
3) Sign with Brooklyn and hope Dwight gets traded there - not gonna happen because no one will come to Brooklyn on their own and Brooklyn has no one but Lopez to trade, he'd still be stuck in the same hole he's been a while now
4) Become FA and wait for the best offer - might not get any offers from big teams (Bulls got Rose, Celtics got Rondo, Clippers got Paul, OKC got Westbrook, SAS got Parker). He'd end up getting an offer from Suns probably as the highest, he'll pretty much be back on a team like Utah was when he dumped them

So out of those options it seems like LA is the best for Deron if he wants to be a legit contender and on a big stage to prove he's one of the best PGs.

And when Lakers lose a big man and gain Deron he will still get a good contract for himself in long term, Kobe is old and in 2 seasons his 30 mil is up, Deron could become the #1 option or ride with an older Kobe who can still produce but Kobe would sign for less cash meaning more pieces for the team.

It just seems like LA is the perfect spot for a player like him, not thinking as a Laker fan, just as a basketball fan.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject:

hehe take the homer glasses off, he can sign here sure but how much longer can kobe compete at this level? his mileage is showing now. the other stuff about LA, big market etc yes.
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject:

stag3 wrote:
hehe take the homer glasses off, he can sign here sure but how much longer can kobe compete at this level? his mileage is showing now. the other stuff about LA, big market etc yes.

Yeah, Kobe is the least of the reasons WHY to come to LA

Lakers - big market, big stage, a lot of fans, not just Kobe but also possibly Bynum (if Mitch works his wand to get Deron for only giving up Pau in a 3-way, I believe he can do that, Rockets would take Bynum so perhaps Brooklyn can consider Kmart,Scola and Dragic? just a thought)

Where else can Deron go? To the Suns? Back to Jazz? Dallas? Bobcats? Raptors?
No team that is in top 10 in the NBA is a better destination than LA.
Top 10 teams by W/L

Chicago - got Rose
San Antonio - Parker
Oklahoma City - Westbrook
Miami - big 3, they will want size for Bosh, Wade is Lebron loveboy
Indiana - Balanced roster, won't need a superstar with the guards they got
LA Lakers - Sessions (good back up PG) and Bagel, would need him
Memphis - Again a really balanced roster, no space for Deron
Clippers - CP3
Atlanta - got Teague, got horrible contracts, nothing to give Brooklyn or offer Deron
Boston - Rondo

Of course teams can make moves to make a certain trade work, but looking at the safest bet from Deron's standpoint would be LA, finished top 6 reg. season, 5th best team in the PO, has a basketball legend who anyone would love to be mentored by, has size, plays for rings, biggest market.

Not homering my team, of course I want the guy but I just wanted to put out the things anyone would want to come here for, especially if he wants a championship and the city itself ain't bad either
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject:

danish87 wrote:

I don't think that's the case. Deron is a max player, his value is set. There is no point.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
danish87 wrote:

I don't think that's the case. Deron is a max player, his value is set. There is no point.

Yep and the Nets are trying to get other players to build around him. They were very close to getting Howard at the trade deadline. So, it must mean that he wants to leave the Nets.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: