THUNDER -at- LAKERS - 1/17 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RVCdesigns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject:

Thankd DB, gj as always.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject:

thanks
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject:

Bynum4MVP wrote:
Props to Ron for his superb defense.

Also for not settling all the time on offense for an outside shot.

It's OK that the Lakers don't get a whole lot of offense from him -- we have plenty of players who can score. But what we do need from him is to mix it up on offense. Barrel into the lane (hopefully without charging), then post up, then shoot a 3. Show his versatility and make the other team have to deal with that unpredictability.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject:

It looked like Durant was going to have one of those big nights. 14 in the 1Q. He had it going until OKC took a TO in the 1Q, then RonRon took him out of the game without fouling for the most part.

I had bad feelings about the start of the 2Q with the 2nd unit. OKC had about 5 consecutive dunks, but again the Lakers buckled down.

Good thing Phil knows this team so well or else the panic button could've been pushed numerous times.

How about Pau taking more shots than Kobe? That's something that hasn't happened often. And how about Kobe being more efficient than Pau (except at the FT line)? Normally, it's the other way around.

Best game by Fish in a long time.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Ron's D was better than I expected, I really hate to see him waste his abilities on 2 guards.

I think we just have to deal with Phil cross-matching at the 2. We'll take some regular season lumps, people will harp about Ron's bad D because of it ... or how another SG is outplaying us, but the wear and tear on Kobe will be lessened. We want the Kobe we saw tonight vs. the one we saw with the swollen knee in the playoffs who had some issues until draining that knee (even then he looked better last night vs. Thabo than last playoffs).
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
Ron's D was better than I expected, I really hate to see him waste his abilities on 2 guards.

I think we just have to deal with Phil cross-matching at the 2. We'll take some regular season lumps, people will harp about Ron's bad D because of it ... or how another SG is outplaying us, but the wear and tear on Kobe will be lessened. We want the Kobe we saw tonight vs. the one we saw with the swollen knee in the playoffs who had some issues until draining that knee (even then he looked better last night vs. Thabo than last playoffs).

Exactly- all about Kobe's recovery/ conservation. Want him fresh in may and June.

As a bonus, Ron chasing two guards all around will keep him lighter and quicker, and when he does match up against most 3's, they won't seem as quick as a lot of the guys he's been guarding.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Bynum4MVP wrote:
Props to Ron for his superb defense.

Also for not settling all the time on offense for an outside shot.

It's OK that the Lakers don't get a whole lot of offense from him -- we have plenty of players who can score. But what we do need from him is to mix it up on offense. Barrel into the lane (hopefully without charging), then post up, then shoot a 3. Show his versatility and make the other team have to deal with that unpredictability.

I totally agree. When Ron varies his attack, it makes his offense better and the team's better and more effective. Think of the reg season game at Boston last year or Game 7- he was getting his points in all three ways, along with putbacks. That's Ron at his best offensively on this team.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject:

RVCdesigns wrote:
Thankd DB, gj as always.

Yes- thanks DB, as always.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Thanks DB
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Artest in the first half was a completely different offensive player.

First half:
Quote:
The Action: He was thrown to the ground with no call. Nice bounce pass to Pau around the side fronting post defender to get a score. He attacked strong to his left, spun to his right to lose Durant and he scored a layup. He attacked his man next time down, overpowered him in the paint, but missed the short one (Drew tipped it in). He knocked a ball off Durant's leg to get a turnover. Quick first step and he drew FTs on Durant, he made one. He hit Lamar cutting weak to strong for a score. Aggressive post attack and he drew FTs, he made one.

Second Half:
Quote:
He missed an open sideline three off the kickout. He drained a wing three on the drive and dish from Fish. Great D on Durant as he tried to do his swing through, Ron had crowded him but quickly held both of his hands behind his own back as Durant made his move (Durant bricked badly). He missed an leaning jumper on the baseline. He stripped Durant's drive. He grabbed a Kobe miss and reset theoffense. He airballed a sideline catch-and-shoot three (never got planted).

All aggressive post play, and deft passing in the first half. Sideline three ball attempts in the second with no post entry. Great defense though. I know Phil told him to lay off all short corner three's before the game and it seems to really make a difference in the offensive game.

I seriously hope Ron keeps up the post play. He is too strong for most opposing SF, and killer on SG cross-matches.

Oh, and thanks as always DB
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:

I know Phil told him to lay off all short corner three's before the game and it seems to really make a difference in the offensive game.

I think that may have been more specific to this opponent (or speedy opponents in general). If Ron shoots that corner three, Durant beats him down court in a foot race and that's trouble. Teams like Thunder, Warriors, Suns, etc., you've got to be careful with that specific shot as a team. So, Phil was probably more thinking about how poor offense leads to defensive problems vs. Ron's general offensive game.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:

I know Phil told him to lay off all short corner three's before the game and it seems to really make a difference in the offensive game.

I think that may have been more specific to this opponent (or speedy opponents in general). If Ron shoots that corner three, Durant beats him down court in a foot race and that's trouble. Teams like Thunder, Warriors, Suns, etc., you've got to be careful with that specific shot as a team. So, Phil was probably more thinking about how poor offense leads to defensive problems vs. Ron's general offensive game.

Agree about the speed opponents, although now that Bynum is back we may need to expand the number of teams that can beat us in a baseline to baseline footrace. It is, of course, no coincidence that those teams also cannot stop us inside, so driving from the corner 3 and keeping ALL 3s to a minimum should be the focus. Once this team figures out how to utilize their bigs and start the offense with a pass to the post their 3s will get more wide open and they can swing to the straight-away shooter. And just think how efficient they can be once they master the repost and recognize that Drew is getting better about sealing a fronting (or side-fronting) defender and they need to swing the ball to his side for the easy pass and layup.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Mike D wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
Bynum has a target on his back. Pau's had the target on his for no-calls while Bynum has it for no-calls, ticky tacks and minor infractions that are rarely called.

I REALLY agree with this. Since the Leon Wood incident, Bynum has been getting the wrong end of a lot of whistles, and been getting a good deal of no calls. He was whistled for 4 fouls last night that had me screaming at the TV. Durant and Westbrook just blatantly jumped right in his chest and got calls, and bad ones.

I'm sure its really frustrating for him.

Also agree, but i think its been going on ever since Bynum has been back. His reaction to the Leon Wood incident was simply him reaching his boiling point. They had been screwing him for quite a few games before that. That particular play was absolute BS...which is why he lost it.

He is indeed being treated like prime Shaq right now. Everytime he goes up with the ball hes carrying a couple defenders with him along for the ride with no call.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Very good and very important win. Maybe the best win of the year. Now Lakers have to take care of business @Dal and @Den, they have to go into those two games with 100% focus and come home with 33-12.
iLoveLAL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I think that was a really good game by the lakers. People say it was too close, but dont forget the thunder are a really good team and we should be happy we beat them!
Harridando
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject:

iLoveLAL wrote:
I think that was a really good game by the lakers. People say it was too close, but dont forget the thunder are a really good team and we should be happy we beat them!

Agreed, we played nice Offense. Defense could've used a little clean-up though. Russell Westbrook got into the paint too many times, and Durant got too many good looks.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:

Agree about the speed opponents, although now that Bynum is back we may need to expand the number of teams that can beat us in a baseline to baseline footrace. It is, of course, no coincidence that those teams also cannot stop us inside, so driving from the corner 3 and keeping ALL 3s to a minimum should be the focus. Once this team figures out how to utilize their bigs and start the offense with a pass to the post their 3s will get more wide open and they can swing to the straight-away shooter. And just think how efficient they can be once they master the repost and recognize that Drew is getting better about sealing a fronting (or side-fronting) defender and they need to swing the ball to his side for the easy pass and layup.

totally agree on all points.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject:

E=MC² wrote:
Very good and very important win. Maybe the best win of the year. Now Lakers have to take care of business @Dal and @Den, they have to go into those two games with 100% focus and come home with 33-12.

I think so.

OKC is certainly the best team the LAkers have beaten all year, so it seems like best win to me.

I was glad to see them focused and ratchet things up in the second half. It validates the idea that their losses this year have been due to a lack of effort and focus, which we all knew would be an issue for this team. But now that it's a new year and the opponents are getting tougher, I expect the Lakers to raise their intensity level.

Last night was a good first step.

Quality win, no doubt. Finally.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: