CELTICS -at- LAKERS - 6/12 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Hopefully you have 3 more of these to write but it's not looking good.

I put this lost on PJ, Kobe, and Fish. I'm ticked with PJ for not calling timeouts to get the guys in gear when we suffered 12-0 and 21-3 runs. Then someone that was swatting shots, swishing 3s, dunking and bringing mad energy (Ariza) only plays 9 friggen minutes? WTF was that? Then our oncourt leadership: Kobe and Fish. They've been here before. When they built that 24 point lead, the cameras flashed to the guys on the bench (Kobe included) hooping and hollering like the game was over. Kobe should have reminded them that this is a game we needed to win and should not have been prematurely celebrating.

This loss hurt but it doesn't hurt if you catch my drift. I say this because Boston went out and got ring chasing veterans (Posey, Cassell, House and PJ Brown). These vets are not as talented as our guys but they were hungrier and it showed. Maybe Boston is the better team (as much as it pisses me off to say that).

I hope this loss hurts them as much as it hurt us fans.
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject:

There is one problem with a "brilliant first half setting up teammates" from Kobe. If it gets you out of rythym for the rest of the game...what good have you done?

He could have done exactly what he did...AND INCLUDE HIMSELF in the shooting mix to not lose any firepower continuity later. Instead, the Celtics make a run...and all of a sudden Kobe has to shoot...and once again, the Lakers have to suddenly adjust....not fair, not right....and sad!
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
At halftime, for the first time all season, I told Mrs. DB I didn't want to watch the second half. I debated having her just tell me the score when it was over, but pushed through anyway.

You could see it coming.

I'm exhausted. I pounded this out and will clean it up later. Going to enjoy a stiff drink or two...

exactly. My wife even asked how I knew. I honestly laughed when the game was over

The lakers will get prince.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject:

we're young, and we gotta take this loss and this experience and learn from it.

i've always said teams do not come out of nowhere and win nba titles. it can be done in other sports, but not the nba.

you have to get at least to a conference final and loose or the nba finals and loose before you capture the throne. it's been that way for 30+ years.

this years finals was gonna be the first exception to that rule. i thought it could be us, and there is still that chance.

but if it's not, we've earned our right to the championship next year and beyond. and this experience will be invaluable to our young players, even odom and gasol.

we will be stronger for this either way.

i'm trying to be positive.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject:

dont give up guys. it's not over yet.
Jakkedup
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject:

I completely agree with you on your thoughts on Gasol. The man holds it in the post for way too long, when he should be aggressive, and use his highly skilled offensive move set. He has permanently cemented his nickname as Paul "Gasoft."
RandyPfund
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Don't give up Lakers Fans, we have the REFs and Stern on our side. Remember the 2002 when we won the Championship.

KOBE=MVP
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers should be Ashamed

wolfpaclaker wrote:
lakermann44 wrote:
The Eastern teams are much tougher than the west and it showed in this series. Last Night night should make every laker and fan Ashamed to be associated with this team. NO EXCUSES @ALL.
Ashamed? / For what?
Because a very young, newly put together Laker team (Gasol came mid-season, Ariza hasn't really been part of the rotation) is losing a in the NBA Finals, to a 66 win team that has 3 franchise caliber player on it, who had the entire season to prepare together, and gain trust?

Yes, I'm ashamed and I want to trade everybody that got us to this point. How typical.

When Bynum is heathly and back, a long witing h Ariza being a rotation player, we'll see this same Laker team kicking Boston's ass all around Staples next season. Book it. Of course, that is unless someone in Laker management is stupid enough to make one of the many proposed trades that are going to be coming from fans desperate to play the blame game on some Laker ....
I agree with "Wolfpacker" - this team is learning how to win since everybody except DFish and Kobe knows how to win in "The Finals" (Luke was there when they lost).

Lost the Paint
When LO and Pau are being taken out of the game by smaller players, instead of punishing them in the paint - then the advantage is the Celtics. Note: It is strange that Perkins can defend Pau "one on one" without the need of any serious double-team - same with LO (supposedly the most verstile play on the court - outside of Kobe/Pierce).

Definition of "The Best"
This means being the best when the best is needed. The so-called veterans (i.e. Pau, LO, Luke) did not provide the leadership. PJ didn't have the confidence to have Luke play in the 4th quarter - along with DFish (though that can be questioned). Re: Kobe - it is hard for the best player in the game to go 1 vs 5 on a team that is the best defensive team in the NBA. When it was 5 on 5, the Celtics had NO CHANCE.

Can We Spelled "Desperation" and "48 Minutes?"
As Rick Fox, Norm Nixon, et. al have stated, the Lakers are so talented that they can often times get away with not playing the entire 48 minutes and with desperation. They have learn that in "THE FINALS" against the best defensive and veterans team, they will pay for their mistakes. The Celtics are desperate and have experienced many years of losing and SICK OF NOT WINNING. It was good that PJ allowed the team to stew/be pissed/mad/angry/etc. at themselves and learn that they have to play effectively for 48 MINUTES with a quiet and deadly sense of desperatoiin. When they get a 24 points lead, THEY NEED to make it a FORTY POINT lead to take the heart out of the Celtics.

Learning
Celtics adjusted their P&R defensive schemes by not doubling the screener very hard preventing the Sacramento Kings-type "hi-low" passes and the Lakers couldn't adjust.
When the Celtics went small with either House or Posey (when Pau & LO were in the game), the Lakers lost points - surprisingly. Pau/LO should have punished them in the paint and fouled those two players out of the game.
Sasha - He will learn from the paint he is currently experiencing to grow even faster as an effective player. This experience is similar to Kobe shooting 3 airballs in the playoffs.

Next Game
The Lakers - hopefully - will be PISSED and MAD. PJ - hopefully - will be substituting more effectively by taking out players who have lost their concentration/focus/sense of desperation quickly.
I hope that PJ will reenact the classic scene in "The Finals" where he went to every player on the Shaq/Kobe championship team and said to their face (pointing at them to emphasis his words) to RUN back after baskets to defend - except this time his words would be DRIVE THE PAINT and RUN THE OFFENSE that will prevent run-outs/layups, etc.

Conclusion
If the Lakers are a championship team, they will respond with a very strong effort.

Future
Bynum WILL NOT get bumped out of the paint hence providing the opportunity to go "inside-out" forcing the Celtics to collapse their "D" to provide space for Kobe. Pau/LO obviously can't do that with physical teams like the Celtics (every NBA will not "bump" Pau out of the paint and just allow LO get his points in the 1st half knowing that he will always disappear in the 2nd half).
cheesehead88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject:

This reminded me of when the Pistons beat Magic's Lakers after the back-to-back. Or when Detroit beat the Karl Malone Lakers in 2004. The only way for an inferior offensive team to win is to thug it up. Why was Ariza put on ice? The Lakers really need a defensive minded contain point guard like Ron Harper or Lindsey Hunter. Fisher could have done it 10 years ago. Farmer reminds me of the second coming of Smush Parker. A lazy defender that likes to just stand around and cast off threes. This is where Crittenton would have been very valuable. He could have penetrated at will and finished against any point guard that Boston has. Farmer is not a penetrator. He just picks up Fisher's bad habits and casts off three on the triangle swing out, but doesn't have nearly the same accuracy or defensive reliability.

The Lakers can still win. Boston is piling up injuries, and they are old and slow. We can still beat them the same way that Phoenix beat us three years ago when we were up 3 to 1 in the first round. The first win will give confidence. The second win will make Boston nervous. And in game 7 it just depends who wants it more.
*Angela*
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I truly did not understand (and I still don't ) how we totally lost this game. Strong lead, 24 point lead in the first half sometime. Then we completely lost it, I wonder what happened? This isn't the first time, it took place in a previous game with the Celtics, and it happened when we were playing the Utah Jazz (last game), although we won.

I totally agree with cheesehaed88 though.. if we really pack it up, we can beat Boston. Just yesterday I realized the ages of the players It was quite a shock. Just wish LA luck for the rest of the games!
wildcat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject:

bluestorm1990 wrote:
One thing I hate about this team for past 2 years they always go away from their offense when they have huge lead , makes me angry as soon as they give up the lead they start attacking the paint again and moving the ball around . Why not just run it the whole game.

Every Lakers fan needs to read through this game summary again. It was one of the most painful losses in Lakers history and it is repeating itself over and over this season as well:

1) Kobe going for the spectacular jumpshot instead of running the offense.
2) PJ not adjusting to a team's run.
3) Gasol: being weak with the basketball and getting beat on the glass.
4) Shooters off the bench not shooting well
5) Leaving 3 point shooters

All five things happenend last night. That's not to say the Lakers can't win the championship. They absolutely can and I hope they will. But I hope PJ shows them the game film from last night and mixes in Game 4 of last year's Finals to teach them a lesson: NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: