LAKERS -at- JAZZ - 4/25 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Call me a Farmar homer all you want, but I have to say something

WestwoodOne wrote:
DB

Thanks. Looking forward to your recap after every game, win or lose.

However, I have a bone to pick with you. While singing your praise of Shannon's play, I get the feeling that you try to throw Farmar under the bus, who has played a combined of 8 minutes in the series and none in the last 2 games. But it's not necessary to speculate what Deron could have done to Farmar and the Lakers if they mached up this year. Deron still got his numbers, still has had his way with our guards (Derek and Shannon). Stopping him is a team effort. I am pleasantly surprised by Shannon's offensive contributions thus far and Farmar's minutes have been reduced to minimum or zero and deservedly so. But to say that Shannon has done a job on Deron defensively in this series is a reach. No one should expect Shannon (or anyone) to stop Deron. The best we can hope for is to contain him and neutralize his impact. I feel Shannon and Fisher have done that by getting back at him on the offensive end.

I also think it's ridiculous for some LG posters to blame Farmar for the Lakers giving up big leads in the first three games.

Again, great job as always, DB.

Since we traded for Brown, I mentioned one specific strength that he gives us which would be vital in the playoffs -- a physically stronger guard to defend the stronger points in the league. Farmar, since entering this league, has struggled badly with those types of players. I've seen him get lit up by NBDL scrub guards in the summer pro league simply because they were stronger. Last year in this series, DWill's eyes got bigger every time Farmar came in the game. He went at him relentlessly and we lost leads.

There's a difference between Brown playing average D or even poor D (which I have mentioned in previous games) and Farmar getting absolutely torched, allowing for Deron to collapse the D, score and set up others for easy buckets at will. I have no doubt the same thing we saw last year would happen again to Farmar, he showed that all season long. Phil knows this and that's why he's on the bench.

So, if we get average D...then you combine that with offensive spark from Brown, we are waaay ahead of the game vs. having Farmar out there in this matchup.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DB Questions

Luke's bonehead pass at the end of the 2nd quarter from somebody with a "high" basketball IQ is surprising. I understand Luke trying to get a charge - how could he have done it better since he was outside the "zone?" Luke did make other surprising mistakes of not protecting his dribble a couple times resulting in several fastbreaks - wassup wit dat!

If Luke was still than it was a bogus foul. If he wanted to draw the charge, then he needed to hit the floor.

Quote:

Ariza lost AK47 a couple times resulting in a free lane to the hole or caused a switch with DFish where AK47 "sealed" DFish for another clear lane to the basket. Were they just "zoning up" on the weakside that caused this?

I'll have to look at that specific play again. I can't recall the sequence. All I remember on one of them was how late Pau was to react, despite seeing the play develop.

Quote:
How can the Lakers with much greater length get outboarded (rooted out) by the shorter (though admittedly stronger) Jazz players?

Fundamentals. I saw some of our little guys with a few nice box outs, too against the Jazz. If you can't muscle up yourself, then move your feet.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
DB -- As always (or at least as you've been doing this for years) THANK YOU for putting up the Smiley Report.

Back during the 3peat Era, I would get mad if Iw as stuck in traffic during a game... until I realized, after Chick died, that I still got to 'see' the games because I heard Chick on the radio broadcast and never missed a thing.

NO ONE can ever replace Chick... but I've had to miss a lot of games in recent years, but I feel like I still know what I need to know about how each player is doing, THANKS TO YOUR REPORT.

Bravo, my friend.

And no, this is not just because you picked up my ShanWow nickname.

MIM

Thanks, MIM. Much appreciated...and I needed to give the ShanWow nickname a little plug. Although, surely there's another snake out there we can use.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Thanks, MIM. Much appreciated...and I needed to give the ShanWow nickname a little plug. Although, surely there's another snake out there we can use.

Western Green Mamba? Jameson's black-tail mamba? Pigmy Rattlesnake? Sidewinder?
WestwoodOne
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Call me a Farmar homer all you want, but I have to say something

DancingBarry wrote:
WestwoodOne wrote:
DB

Thanks. Looking forward to your recap after every game, win or lose.

However, I have a bone to pick with you. While singing your praise of Shannon's play, I get the feeling that you try to throw Farmar under the bus, who has played a combined of 8 minutes in the series and none in the last 2 games. But it's not necessary to speculate what Deron could have done to Farmar and the Lakers if they mached up this year. Deron still got his numbers, still has had his way with our guards (Derek and Shannon). Stopping him is a team effort. I am pleasantly surprised by Shannon's offensive contributions thus far and Farmar's minutes have been reduced to minimum or zero and deservedly so. But to say that Shannon has done a job on Deron defensively in this series is a reach. No one should expect Shannon (or anyone) to stop Deron. The best we can hope for is to contain him and neutralize his impact. I feel Shannon and Fisher have done that by getting back at him on the offensive end.

I also think it's ridiculous for some LG posters to blame Farmar for the Lakers giving up big leads in the first three games.

Again, great job as always, DB.

Since we traded for Brown, I mentioned one specific strength that he gives us which would be vital in the playoffs -- a physically stronger guard to defend the stronger points in the league. Farmar, since entering this league, has struggled badly with those types of players. I've seen him get lit up by NBDL scrub guards in the summer pro league simply because they were stronger. Last year in this series, DWill's eyes got bigger every time Farmar came in the game. He went at him relentlessly and we lost leads.

There's a difference between Brown playing average D or even poor D (which I have mentioned in previous games) and Farmar getting absolutely torched, allowing for Deron to collapse the D, score and set up others for easy buckets at will. I have no doubt the same thing we saw last year would happen again to Farmar, he showed that all season long. Phil knows this and that's why he's on the bench.

So, if we get average D...then you combine that with offensive spark from Brown, we are waaay ahead of the game vs. having Farmar out there in this matchup.

Thanks for the response, DB.

Again, it's all pure speculation on your part as to how much DWill could have dominated Farmar because I don't believe they have met head to head much or any at all in this series. Last year Fisher did a decent job on Williams but less so so far this year.

The Lakers' lead went up to double digits a few minutes after half-time. You seem to suggest that with Farmar in place of Shannon the Lakers might have actually lost the lead and game 3.

I wonder if someone can look up the numbers Williams put up against Fisher and Farmar last year versus the numbers against Fisher and Shannon Brown this year. (I am not savvy enough computerwise or internetwise.)

It's nice to see Shannon playing well, at least offensively, thus far in the playoffs. But I don't know how much difference he has made on the defensive end in the series because Williams continues to put up big points and assists. Is it due to Shannon that we are ahead 3-1? Or is it due to Okur's injury? We were 2-2 after 4 games last year without Bynum and Ariza. This year Utah is basically without Okur so far.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject:

It's the same speculation that Phil is using then...based on the head to head last year in the playoffs where Farmar struggled badly and was picked on by the Jazz. Looking at my notes from the 6 games, he was singled out by Phil post game a couple of times during the series because of how badly he was playing. The speculation is also based on Farmar's track record defending bigger guards who overpower him.

You take that track record from previous head to heads and combine it with the train wreck ball he's been playing (worse than last year going into the playoffs) and I feel very safe in making an educated guess as to how badly we get hurt...once again.

There were distinct swings in mo when he came in last year. From last year's games:

Game 1: +5 (played only 9 minutes, went 0-5)
Game 2: -8 (team low)
Game 3: -11 (killed us. Lost the lead on a 15-3 Jazz run in his first stint, smaller Jazz run his second stint)
Game 4: -19 (this was a tie at regulation, just killed when he came in)
Game 5: -1 (second lowest, only 2 Lakers negative)
Game 6: -8 (second lowest)
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject:

mefor3 wrote:
very nice win!! Kobe had the poised swager since the start of the game. Like Stu said he was in the ZOOOONE

He needs to stay in that zone for Game 5. No way this series should return to Utah. Go for the kill, rip out the hearts, give them no chance, no confidence, no hope for the future.

Lakers by 25 if they are smart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersFan_73
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
-im so proud of phil for calling a timeout when our 24 point lead was cut to 20

Amen to that!!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Western Green Mamba? Jameson's black-tail mamba? Pigmy Rattlesnake? Sidewinder?

He seems like a Rattler. Rattles rims anyhow. Viper ain't bad either.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: