HORNETS -at- LAKERS - 2/20 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject:

Great write-up DB.

Your assesment of Farmar was on target. He wasn't setting up easy scores, or even taking charge and getting the bigs into position. The second unit settled for taking jumpers, most of them out of the shooter's effective range. He really needs the leadership of Luke in that second unit, someone who won't shy from the paint, and who'll encourage the extra pass for the higher percentage score. In the end, Farmar just needs to learn to play in the half court. Farmar plays most effectively at high speed, which isn't what you want when you're playing an opponent who thrives in transition. Worse, it's a gaping hole when you're trying to protect a lead by playing at a slower, more deliberate tempo.
StuLantz#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject:

I agree that there was something off about Gasol's game--which is an unusual argument when you go for 21 on 8-14 with double digit rebounding and 6 assists. But it's never good when they keep our post up player from the block, and he might not be able to pull off those stats against a Boston or Cleveland if they had forced him out like that. He hasn't been stopped against either team this season, but it might be hard to win a series if he was. It would be nice to switch off to Bynum in moments like that. And speaking of Bynum, we're winning but there haven't been many blowouts without him--something we're going to need a lot more of with Gasol logging another 48 minutes.

Paul never seems to miss a jumpshot. And Vujacic hardly ever makes an open shot. I never forgot Fisher giving away one of our few losses in the Spurs game on a dumb play, but I guess last night's heroics makes it harder to dwell on that.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject:

dna. wrote:
Phil's usual stubbornness of leaving the second unit on the floor until ~6 minutes left in the 4th quarter (or whatever clock is in his head goes off), despite how pathetically bad they might be playing, damn near lost this game for us. And it probably should have, if not for some great plays by Fish and some lucky mistakes by the Hornets.

A win is a win I guess, and it is only the regular season of course. But it still really pissed me off that Phil almost lost the game for us just with pure stubbornness.

Usually Phil will wait till the 8 minute mark in the fourth before putting Kobe back in, unfortunately, the bench made this decision almost costly. But when I saw that Scott pretty much left Chris Paul in to start the fourth (If I remember correctly) I knew that it would spell bad news. By the time Kobe and LO were back in, bugs were in a groove.

Give credit to Scott though, It was a good move.

!...
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject:

Basically we won despite Phil's poor coaching decision in this one. I can't believe he let the bench blow both huge leads and let the bugs get their rhythm back down the stretch. Props to Pau, LO, Fish, Luke and OT kobe. They're the only ones who came to play tonite. Why didn't we go to the high-low play with LO/Pau to relieve the pressure on Kobe? It's worked so well lately, and we didn't run it once. Sad. We basically stopped moving the ball, which kills our offense. Lots of one on one stuff. When are we gonna learn that we need to run the bloody offense? The times we did last night we were unstoppable and got easy buckets.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
ecksor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject:

thanks, DB

Who is my avatar? Kharunisia
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Lucky, lucky, lucky.

Mental errors all around from the coaches down to the players. BScott sensed that the game was there for the taking despite being down double digits to start the 4th. He kept his starters in and was willing to let them go the entire quarter. Phil gambled to give his 2nd unit confidence, let them struggle to the 8 minute mark and nearly lost the game. Obviously, he didn't feel the game was as important as BScott did. Lucky for Phil.

Aside from Lawler's Law (1st to 100 wins), I'm creatng the Bonehead Law. If your team is ahead and you make a bonehead play in the final minute allowing the other team to tie or go ahead, you deserve to lose the game. The Lakers have violated the Bonehead Law before (see Bobcats game) and will probably do it again based on the gaffes they made last night. But CP3 violated the Bonehead Law last night. Twice in the same game. Lucky, lucky.

So even with Bball Justice thrown down for CP3's Bonehead Law violations, DFish gets mad props for making the clutch plays. Also, to Luke for playing his best game of the season.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HORNETS -at- LAKERS - 2/20 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

PopcornMachine wrote:

Considering he has plenty of teammates that can score, perhaps he should pass on those high difficulty shots all of the time. They may be entertaining, but are they good basketball?

There are some shots he should never take, even when hot....like those triple pumping forced fallaways from 20 feet. He rarely makes those, even when having a good game. He had a couple of those types of shot selection in this game.

The difficult shots he can make, the pull-up jumpers with a man right on him, though they may be difficult, I have no problem with him taking those when he's having a good game. He can knock them down with consistency. But when his shot isn't falling from the perimeter like last night...he really needs to avoid those. When he's stone cold, those then slip into the bad shot selection category. He'd be better off attacking, working it to others, etc. Last night he played right into the Hornets hands by continually hoisting those up. In OT, he avoided that, got into the paint and that's where he finally killed them.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:

Aside from Lawler's Law (1st to 100 wins), I'm creatng the Bonehead Law. If your team is ahead and you make a bonehead play in the final minute allowing the other team to tie or go ahead, you deserve to lose the game. The Lakers have violated the Bonehead Law before (see Bobcats game) and will probably do it again based on the gaffes they made last night. But CP3 violated the Bonehead Law last night. Twice in the same game. Lucky, lucky.

There might be something to the Bonehead Law. Although, I have a feeling we have violated it a few times and still survived to get the W.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Your assesment of Farmar was on target. He wasn't setting up easy scores, or even taking charge and getting the bigs into position. The second unit settled for taking jumpers, most of them out of the shooter's effective range. He really needs the leadership of Luke in that second unit, someone who won't shy from the paint, and who'll encourage the extra pass for the higher percentage score. In the end, Farmar just needs to learn to play in the half court. Farmar plays most effectively at high speed, which isn't what you want when you're playing an opponent who thrives in transition. Worse, it's a gaping hole when you're trying to protect a lead by playing at a slower, more deliberate tempo.

There wasn't proper leadership out there and Phil seemed to let them write their own plan of attack on the fly. If Farmar can't lead and floor general that unit, then Phil may need to be much more proactive with them. Farmar has to recognize what our strengths are and be vocal with his guys/organize the offense to take advantage of that better.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, glad to get the win.
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
dna. wrote:
Phil's usual stubbornness of leaving the second unit on the floor until ~6 minutes left in the 4th quarter (or whatever clock is in his head goes off), despite how pathetically bad they might be playing, damn near lost this game for us. And it probably should have, if not for some great plays by Fish and some lucky mistakes by the Hornets.

A win is a win I guess, and it is only the regular season of course. But it still really pissed me off that Phil almost lost the game for us just with pure stubbornness.

Usually Phil will wait till the 8 minute mark in the fourth before putting Kobe back in, unfortunately, the bench made this decision almost costly. But when I saw that Scott pretty much left Chris Paul in to start the fourth (If I remember correctly) I knew that it would spell bad news. By the time Kobe and LO were back in, bugs were in a groove.

Give credit to Scott though, It was a good move.

Agreed, it wasn't a great sign when Scott was leaving starters in all/most of the fourth since our bench just couldn't hang with them... And give credit to Scott indeed, it is the smart move since he knows Phil well enough to know how stubborn he is with his rotations.
D Nice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: HORNETS -at- LAKERS - 2/20 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

PopcornMachine wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Kobe ...He kept taking them and kept missing. Some of the shots were very easy for him, some were just poor shot selection (difficult shots he shouldn't take when he's not feeling it).

...He settled for another long wing jumper, missed (sigh). He attacked and threw the ball away with 24 seconds left.

...He posted up and missed the turnaround (wanting the foul). He was tripped by Chris Paul on a double team (fouling Paul out), FTs for Kobe, he made one (talked with Posey), then made the second.

Considering he has plenty of teammates that can score, perhaps he should pass on those high difficulty shots all of the time. They may be entertaining, but are they good basketball?

Not looking for his teammates at all until he was in an impossible position. If not for Fish taking a charge on Paul, and Paul making the mistake of not milking the clock, that's the ballgame.

Actually, he fouled Paul before he got tripped. Thanks refs.
1. Without Bynum, Pau is the only person who can consistently create a good shot for himself irrespective of the matchup. Even then, Pau rarely gets doubled, so the best way to put a defense on their heels is for Kobe to be making the play. If they choose to play him straight up (like B-Scott copped to doing for the first 36) then we aren't going to get many better shots than Kobe isolated against a weak defender. As he said, he was missing easy ones.

2. Kobe didn't foul Chris. That was a Divac-esque acting job, plain and simple. Good no-call late.

I was irritated with Kobe's play on defense way moreso than on offense, but the fact of the matter is we were getting big leads with him in and losing them when he and Lamar went to the bench. Most of the blame for this even being close rests with Farmar and Pau not asserting themselves on offense with the 2nd unit out there sands Odom.

Next time Kobe plays like this he'll end up 18-30 instead of 13-30. Not a big deal.
bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject:

thanks
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"If you'd like to hear about the Four Horsemen, press one." You stare at the phone dumbly for a second before hitting the button. It's DancingBarry:

thanks DB. the second unit almost lost this game...but thankfully the starters never gave up and made the right decisions down the stretch.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. You create mental visions with your words which is the first sign of a great writer.
---
I was annoyed at Lamar not being in the post. The Hornets panicked every time he got the ball down low and quickly jumped out of position. This allowed Pau and Kobe to actually move without the ball and get easier shots.
---
Part of the effect of not having Vlad to stretch the defense and with forcing things through Kobe is teams double from the wings on Kobe much easier than before. I'm not complaining, just pointing out facts (and complaining).
---
Eventually Farmar is going to wear a different uniform if his defensive prowness doesn't increase. The staff understands floor leadership takes time for a younger guard to get, but his inability to stop anyone is going to limit his Laker career. Rambis says Farmar's defense is why he's not a starter all the time. He'll command too much money to stay soon if that doesn't improve.
---
Sasha is a shell right now. No confidence at all. Is Brown destroying him in practice or does the fact he no longer has a green light to chuck have him depressed?
---
Pau always has bad stretches of games after we play Utah. I think they pound on his lower back alot and leave him sore for a few weeks. He always seems hesitant to attack after we play them.
---
Fisher was super duper clutch. Paul on the other hand played with way too much ego. How does he not dump that ball off and secure the game? He should be fined! Funny part is Fisher knew it which shows a gigantic flaw in Paul's game that Derek has found. Watch the play and Fisher didn't hesitate to make that move vs the lead assist man in the league. I still think DWill is a better player. My preference.
---
I am going to lose 45-50 pounds and get back in shape this year. I said it here first.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject:

whats with emplay trying to steal some of L.O.s camera time?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: