MAGIC -at- LAKERS - 1/16 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject:

Wolf, I agree Drew and Pau aren't working. I think Pau's hit a bit of a wall this month, we really need to cut his minutes back.

What I've noticed is Drew's energy is pretty measured, going up in spikes when he feels he's making a significant contribution. He has success in the offense because he has talents that make that success. On D, I think he gets just as excited when he makes a blocked shot or gets a tough rebound. The thing is, the defensive scheme they have him doing is not bringing much success, and the more unsuccessful it becomes the more his energy drops.

That's just an observation. Regarding the SA game, he did a lot of things right, but they aren't glorious to behold. He kept a body on Tim, guarded him straight up pretty well, a lot better than Pau. He failed to rotate on Parker early in the game(I believe because he feared Parker would get the pass to Tim for a dunk). He again failed to rotate on Parker or Gino off a screen by Duncan, because again he felt the position he had would have given up an easy dunk. He's clearly not trusting teammates to rotate on to his guy and you know what? They didn't last night on a couple of occasions, so he struggles with trust.

Regarding energy, he does measure it, he won't spend it going after rebounds when 3-4 other Lakers are right there. I would like to see him spend all of his energy. A lot of times he's out there standing too erect, not crouched like a loaded spring ready to pounce on anything that moves. Right now Phil's got tunnel vision, he wants that championship for his swan song. But what really needs to happen is he needs to limit Drew's time to runs of max energy, as soon as the energy stops he comes out. He's got to be conditioned to give 100%. No more measuring.

Pau is really the biggest limitation at PF, he's too slow. He's better at Center because of that. So I can see starting him at C and bringing Drew off the bench. But that doesn't solve all our problems. I love D-Fish but the fact of the matter is he is too slow and it's because of that that our defense is forced into multiple rotations invariably leading to a mismatch or open 3. Phil's got to wise up and play Ariza in his place more often. And Sasha, where did his shot go? I'd bench him until his shot looks good in practice, because Sasha without his shot is useless.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Someone mentioned in another threat about one particular play that I also noted with disgust. The ball bounced up and Andrew had but to jump and reach for it and it was his. His feet were planted squarely to the floor and he was starting at the rim with a half ass reach towards the ball. Orlando naturally got the ball back and to exacerbate the problem, he looked away from Dwight who backdoored his ass on a dunk.

That play basically illustrates Andrew's play as of late. Zero to no hustle.

Noticed that play too. Bynum just watched w/o jumping for it, or even moving his feet at all.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject:

tw-lakbfan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Someone mentioned in another threat about one particular play that I also noted with disgust. The ball bounced up and Andrew had but to jump and reach for it and it was his. His feet were planted squarely to the floor and he was starting at the rim with a half ass reach towards the ball. Orlando naturally got the ball back and to exacerbate the problem, he looked away from Dwight who backdoored his ass on a dunk.

That play basically illustrates Andrew's play as of late. Zero to no hustle.

Noticed that play too. Bynum just watched w/o jumping for it, or even moving his feet at all.

I saw it too, he hasn't broke thru that barrier yet, to peak physical conditioning. He measures the use of his energy too much. He's got to fight hard to force himself to that next level.
MFF0RD8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject:

as an NBA fan, last night's game was a great contest between two powerful teams. i feel fortunate to have attended.

as a lakers fan, last night was an obvious disappointment and indicative of some larger problems looming if they are not addressed. i don't think orlando won that game it was more that the lakers lost it by giving up so many open looks and poor rebounding (54-40 in favor of orlando)

while orlando may end up to be the eastern conference champions in april, last night's performance wasn't quite convincing enough to make me believe they can beat lebron and the cavs. the lakers showed they are certain to go deep into the playoffs but right now aren't at a level where they look like nba champions

"I don't know if we'd won this game without these fans. Thank you!" - Phil Jackson after Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals, 6/17/10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject:

2 things concerned me before the game. 1) Would Drew have more rebounds than fouls? 2) Would Rambis's pack-it-in-the-paint defense work against the Magic bombers?

Both answers were 'no'. Lakers lose.

Despite having length, the Lakers don't play big. They are getting outmuscled too often. Drew hasn't been focusing on his role - defense and rebounding. Sure, his scoring has been better, but he's got to be more of a glass cleaner and defensive anchor.

I agree with Rick12322 that Pau has hit a wall, perhaps the summer is catching up with him.

As masterful as Kobe was in the 4th against SA, I thought he got no one involved in the 4th in crunch time. After he got bumped by Howard with no call, it seemed like he settled for jumpers which didn't fall. Too much of the high p&r, not enough ball movement or triangle sets = too predictable on offense.

LO was aggressive and energetic, but 1/3 from the line at the close really hurt.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MAGIC -at- LAKERS - 1/16 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Phil -- -- Phil revealed that in the last game Kobe wanted to go right after the FT make, instead of taking a timeout in the last game. He said they could have still taken the timeout and given Kobe the opportunity to bring it full court, if he wanted. Perhaps, Phil will call the timeout next time....

not sure i believe phil. i havent gone back and checked to be sure but i remember them looking at phil as if to ask if they should call a timeout and phil gestured for them to just go.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
he has become a guy that loves to score and put up numbers there. I actually think a 6th man role suits him most of the big 3.
With the way that Bynum is currently playing, he will play himself onto the 2nd team.

The "High Low" offense can work with Pau on the High Post and Bynum in the paint, but offense is not the problem. If Bynum is not going to play defense, he doesn't deserve the minutes that will start going to Powell and Ariza
Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject:

days after, im still sore from this loss.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: