Which player is the key to Lakers' success?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Laker is most important to our success next year?
Kobe Bryant
22%
 22%  [ 30 ]
Lamar Odom
25%
 25%  [ 34 ]
Kwame Brown
48%
 48%  [ 66 ]
Other current Laker
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 136

startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject:

We know for sure Kobe is the least to worry about in triangle. So, we must see others to do well in the system. I think both Kwame and Odom should be the key. But since I have to choose one only, I'd go with Odom. I have to assume that Odom, as point-forward, will be more active on both ends. If Odom can upgrade his defense to another level (yes... ala Pippen), he'll be very very good next year.
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
I voted for Kwame. As much as you can decide something like this at this point, I think we we pretty much know what we are getting from Lamar and Kobe.

If Kwame plays up to his potential, it could really affect the teams results this season. He could be a real difference maker.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject:

Odom - but Kwame is a close second.

Kobe's obviously the franchise player and the most important in the grand of schemes of things but based on just next season - the biggest impact would be made by Odom or Kwame.

Odom - if he steps up and becomes the all-around player that he is. 17-19 points, 7-8 boards and 5-6 assists.

Kwame - If he can step up and be a near double double solid PF. 12-13 points, 9-10 rebounds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
T I
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject:

Kwame
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Very interesting seeing your votes and reading through these posts. I certainly see the logic in choosing Kwame. If he has a monster year (which I would say, for him, might be something like 16 and 10), then the Lakers will ceratinly be a tough team in the West. Very interesting that about half of you chose Kwame here.

I still stand by the Odom pick, however. Why? Well, I just think that we can expect more out of him next year. Let's face it, if Kwame can give us 12 and 8, we'll be thrilled. But whereas we will be glad for anything we can get out of Kwame, we absolutely need Odom to have a career year. We need him to take the pressure off of Kobe, because while Kobe can dominate, he can't win alone. And for Kobe to have an MVP year, he will need Odom to have a career year as well.

Guys, I know we still have some major holes, but I am very optimistic about our team this year! I think Phil will bring the regiment this team needs to be successful, and, again, I expect big things from these guys, especially Kobe and Lamar. Go Lakers!
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject:

I think the success of our season rests solely on the shoulders of one Kwame Brown. As others have mentioned, Kwame has all of the physical ability and skill to provide what we sorely lacked last season: Interior post/position defense against the WC 4's, rebounding, low post scoring.

The addition of Kwame has the potential to solidify three roster positions: His own (PF), the three - allowing Odom to move back to his natural position, and the five - Odom moving out to the perimeter on defense gives up less position in the defensive post and saves Mihm from having to slide over and play help defense. My opinion appears to be in the minority here, but I think that Mihm actually got in more foul trouble trying to scramble and play help D on Odom's man than going out to meet the dribble penetration.

If Brown emerges and performs consistently, then not only himself, but Mihm and Odom also enjoy career years.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
Green45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is Kobe.

There can be compelling arguments made for both Lamar and Kwame, and we probably need both to step things up to make a difference.

If the Lakers make a significant trade (unlikely to happen) the new Laker may be the most important piece to the puzzle.

All that said, my vote goes to Lamar. He is going to have the ball in his hands a lot. If he is effective as the point forward, Kobe will be able to play off the ball more.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject:

I could focus on Kobe, Kwame, or Lamar, but I keep thinking of what Mihm was giving us, at the beggining of last season... Remember what a difference it made?? Mihm was giving us an inside presence, that we thought we wouldn't have, for a long time...

What I'm thinking is that Mihm's "A-Game" is going to have to be there, consistently, in order for us to shore up our game under the basket. We need to feel assured, that we have enough backup bigmen F/C's. I would like to see Mihm used at PF, on occasion, with Kwame in the middle, and Lamar at the 3, that would give us some nice size upfront.
Panthera
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject:

Kwame
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject:

Kobe will be great, but we expect that. He is the foundation that allows the others to shine. Kobe is 27. According to Phil Jackson, a players best years are usually 28-32. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes it up a notch.

Lamar at 25 may be ready to breakthrough. This may be a banner year moving back to his natural position. Kwame's presence allows that to happen.

Kwame at 23 is ready for a breakthrough year. He doesn't have to improve much from his third year performance to be an impact player. Kwame can help Mihm inside. Kwame has a chance to shine.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: