Is it Time to Strongly Consider Bringing in Marcus Douthit?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Time to consider Douthit?
yes
47%
 47%  [ 32 ]
no
52%
 52%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 68

DaGreatKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Is it Time to Strongly Consider Bringing in Marcus Douthit?

mitch did say our free agent search has come to an end. we're scarce on big men with true down low capabilities, ie shotblocking, positional defense, rebounding. you know, things slava and cook dont do... we're getting cheap cuz of the '07 plan. we dont want to have to play odom at pf very often. slava has solid offensive skills, he even seems to be a solid offensive rebounder. cook shoots a high percentage from 3 but is a lil hard foul happy and cant really elevate to be a force on the boards...

marcus isnt much of a prospect, but he's cheap and he could benefit from just spending time with a professional like kareem abdul-jabbar. when we drafted him he seemed to have a lot of potential and looks like he could be a solid role player in the best case scenario. we're not gonna take on any big names and the only big men worth considering are tractor traylor or reggie evans.

we all know how he's fared these past 2 offseasons but at this point. we've limited ourselves to almost no options for a big. so i'll go down a short list of reasons why we should consider.

he'll play for the minimum on unguaranteed contracts for any amount of years we give him. he has 2 years of triangle experience... he's long and quick... finished 7th in the nation in blocks per game (3.2) in his last year in college. and is touted as a quick and athletic weak side and help shot blocker. he reminds me of steven hunter and we could always use some defense if anything down low.
Quote:

Strengths: Long and athletic big man who can run the floor and block shots. Didn’t get many chances to show offensive skills in college.

Strengths: Very long body with long arms. Seems a lot taller than he really is (6-10) Has the ability to rebound because of how long his arms are. Very quick for a center his size. Is a player who has the quick-twitch reaction to everything on the court. Has great mobility. Can run the floor very well. Is able to handle the ball for a power forward. Can attack the rim regardless of his wiry body

Weaknesses: Must bulk up, could score and get to the foul line a lot more if he just gained some weight. Has a huge lack of strength on defense. Often, he gets bullied by his opponent on defense and is at their mercy when they have the ball

keep in mind we did retain his draft rights this summer and that mitch and phil both said we're done searching. unless a player becomes available that they didnt expect to be (like sprewell). marcus would be the cheapest and closest option within the organization to shore up the rotation.

now im not saying he's the best or our only option. i just want everyone's thoughts on him...
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject:

He's not an NBA-quality player, IMO.

Giving him a position will LOWER the talent-base on the team.

SGH
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject:

seeing as how we're short handed in the front court we'll probably need to do that. However not yet. The optomist in me keeps hoping we sign a decent FA (or trade for one) before the season starts.
In anycase its not like we're on a deadline to sign him right.
GunShot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject:

Not going to happen because Douthit is going back to Europe again.
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:

SGH

Slava and Cook are not NBA quality players, IMO, but they seem to have gotten on our bench.

I say yes it is time. Bringing him in, let him earn any playing time he is going to get in practice, and see what he can do.

We have had limited exposure seeing him play, so he maybe able to grow into a solid NBA player.

I'm sure there was a time that alot people thought Ben Wallace was not an NBA quality player, thus the reason for not getting drafted.

Now I'm not saying Douthit is a Ben Wallace, but bring him into camp and see if there is a place for him. He can't be any worse on D then Cook, or Slava.

With us being so thin at quality Big man, giving him a good look will not hurt us.
"Kobe Bryant is an absolute nightmare. You can hold your breath, send for help, sacrifice a chicken, it won't matter. Kobe Bryant is coming for you. He's got the ball and he's going to score...some way, some how."
Dancing Barry
KobeWanKenobi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject:

Marcus Douthit played with the Passing Lane Sports team that represented the United States in the William Jones Cup tournament in Taipei, Taiwan. The Americans were unbeaten in the entire tournament which featured teams from Taiwan, Japan, India, South Korea, Russia, Kazakhstan and the Philippines.

In the last game of the tournament, the Americans won a close decision over the 3rd placer Philippines 99-96. Douthit scored 21 points.

However, Douthit's 21 points came against the Philippine team's smaller lineup with starting center Asi Taulava only 6'9 and main backup Yancy De Ocampo at only 6'8. Taulava also scored 23 points against Douthit.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject:

good topic.

i was quite disappointed by what i saw of him this summer at SPL. i have heard he's already back in europe. i don't know all the details. but at this point, if nothing more were to be added to the team, he should be getting consideration. at least an invite to training camp.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject:

He's already signed up for a different club in Belgium.
mr_yogabear
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject:

KobeWanKenobi wrote:
Marcus Douthit played with the Passing Lane Sports team that represented the United States in the William Jones Cup tournament in Taipei, Taiwan. The Americans were unbeaten in the entire tournament which featured teams from Taiwan, Japan, India, South Korea, Russia, Kazakhstan and the Philippines.

In the last game of the tournament, the Americans won a close decision over the 3rd placer Philippines 99-96. Douthit scored 21 points.

However, Douthit's 21 points came against the Philippine team's smaller lineup with starting center Asi Taulava only 6'9 and main backup Yancy De Ocampo at only 6'8. Taulava also scored 23 points against Douthit.

I'll say I was impress with his versatility.. He's big, but he can play outside.. I was shock on his shooting touch and he's quick for his size.. The 1st time I saw him in the summer league last yr, he doesnt have that mobility, he cant shoot.. But he blocked shots.. But one thing I noticed is that he's defense has declined. He cant play defense now.. he was better last yr defensively. I'll say, if we compare him to cook's defense. cook is way way ahead of Douthit.. He was overpowered by our 6'9 center Asi Taulava.. At one posession, Asi even dunked on him in your face, and I'll say Asi is a little overweight right now because of 9 month of inactivity, and dunking on dougthit, I'll say Dougthit is a bad defender..
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject:

I see a lot of cook hate. Rudy T didnt use Odom or cook right. Cook had an inside game in college. He also was a decent rebounder. I expect to see a better cook this year & remember this is only his 3rd season. How can u not like cook after he slammed Wade to the floor? Phil will use cook like he used Horry. he will bring big men out the paint to defend him. Leaving a guy like Odom in the post with no one to double him.

Los Angeles Lakers
33MDE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:

No harm in sticking him at the end of the bench, he'd consider himself lucky to be the 12th man. Kareem will really be earning his money this season, he may even have to request an assistant of his own. Kareem U is now in session.
jbjb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject:

He'll probably get a training camp invite. Whether or not he gets "considered" will be totally up to him at that point.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject:

The Mike wrote:

SGH

Slava and Cook are not NBA quality players, IMO, but they seem to have gotten on our bench.

I say yes it is time. Bringing him in, let him earn any playing time he is going to get in practice, and see what he can do.

We have had limited exposure seeing him play, so he maybe able to grow into a solid NBA player.

I'm sure there was a time that alot people thought Ben Wallace was not an NBA quality player, thus the reason for not getting drafted.

Now I'm not saying Douthit is a Ben Wallace, but bring him into camp and see if there is a place for him. He can't be any worse on D then Cook, or Slava.

With us being so thin at quality Big man, giving him a good look will not hurt us.

Slava and Cook are NBA quality players (not stars and of course they have flaws), but they both can put in some quality minutes (for example, Slava is a nice scoring/reboudning punch off the bench, and he can start at PF, if needed). Douthit however is clearly not NBA talent. His progress last year was not what was hoped for and he's not ready (he may never be).
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject:

Douthit went to Europe, learned to play offense and completely forgot defense which was the reason we drafted him. If he has a good year defensively in Europe then maybe he gets a ten day contract, but that's about it.

AL.
kixter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject:

i see douthit as a Jelani Mcoy type of player... they are what you can say C tweeners... who seems to be unable to hold on to the post in any defensive situation... and if it is either cook or douthit, at least cook has an outside shot... now he needs to enroll at Kareem U (mind if borrow your phrase 33MDE )to polish their inside games...
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
The Mike wrote:

SGH

Slava and Cook are NBA quality players (not stars and of course they have flaws), but they both can put in some quality minutes (for example, Slava is a nice scoring/reboudning punch off the bench, and he can start at PF, if needed). Douthit however is clearly not NBA talent. His progress last year was not what was hoped for and he's not ready (he may never be).

I can take Cook and see where he could contribute, because I have seen improvement. Slava is not an NBA quality player, he has a quick realease mid range jumper, that if he is on is butter, but when he is off he keeps shooting. Many times ignoring other players who may have a better chance at a better shot. His rebounding though improved from when he first became a Lakers is below average.

His D is the worse thing at all. I have litteraly seen other players eyes light up when they see Slava is the person guarding him. It did not matter who the player was all star or role player. They see Slava and instantly go to work him over.

If Slava had to fill out an NBA resume, he could only put one word on it. JUMPER. That's it nothing else.

Slava should have never been in the League. He got in the League because the NBA was going through it's foreign player crazy.

I uses to think Slava had something to give to the Lakers, but after waiting 5 seasons, and seeing very little improvement, I have come to realize I was wrong.

This is from 82games.com

it is a comparison between Slava and who ever he is guarding.

Offense: Pts per 100 Poss. 109.7
Defense: Pts per 100 Poss. 113.7
Net Points per 100 Possessions -4.1 (Slava 0 opp. 1)

Points Scored 874
Points Allowed 894
Net Points -20 (Slava 0 opp. 2)

Effective FG% 47.9%
Effective FG% Allowed 48.6% (Slava 0 opp. 3)

Assisted Field Goals 59%
Assisted FG% Allowed 64% (Slava 0 opp. 4)

Own Shots Blocked 5%
Shots Blocked 3% (Slava 0 opp. 5)

Free Throws Made 19
Free Throws Attempted 24
Free Throws Made by Opp. 21
Free Throws Attempted by Opp. 28 (Slava 1 opp. 5)(I split this catagory because Slava shoots a higher %, but sends his man to the line more.)

Turnovers, on Offense 13
Turnovers, on Defense 12
Net Turnovers -1 (Slava 1 opp. 6)

Fouls Committed 23
Fouls, Drawn 20
Net Fouls -3 (Slava 1 opp. 7)

My point being even though Slava barley loses in All most every catagory, he is losing in every catagory. Not one thing besides FT% did he win, but sonsidering his opp, hit more free throws and went to the line more that catagory cancels itself out.

Right now I would trade Medvedenko for a toaster and Snicker bar, to open up that roster spot for someone else including Douthit.
"Kobe Bryant is an absolute nightmare. You can hold your breath, send for help, sacrifice a chicken, it won't matter. Kobe Bryant is coming for you. He's got the ball and he's going to score...some way, some how."
Dancing Barry
pointlance
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject:

And dont forget to order your monthly installment of painkillers if he makes the roster.
DaGreatKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject:

i dunno its very close for a player who supposedly has no defensive skill anymore... same thing over at CL.

he's worth a shot...
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject:

he was a dissapointment in te spl

his first year was more impressive
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:

i dont think hes an NBA talent.

If the lakers look to him to fill a NEED then they are in trouble this season.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Better spent giving the minutes and practice time to Cook. I strongly feel that Cook is going to offer us more AND do a better job than Geogre, Walton, Slava, or Sasha. Cook could well end up being our PF behind Kwame, and give us quality minutes this year.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject:

cook is not that bad of a player

hes a versatile big

he juss needs to pump fake and drive to basket more

i only remember him doing that once last year and he finished with a bash
GailGoodrich25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject:

He ain't ready; "stickin'" him at the end of the bench will only (bleep) his already slow progress. I saw this kid during the SPL and he didn't shine against inferior competition. Which means, he ain't ready!
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject:

You obviously missed the SPL.

Douhtit doesn't even intimidate anyone or rebound well in the (bleep) SPL.
mr_yogabear
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:

I like cook very much.. He's a very skilled player.. the only problem with him is he's soft... He's afraid to bang inside.. A lot of times I saw him open.. But instead of going hard to the basket, he's settling for a jumpshot.. He doesnt need to improve he's outside shot, he just need to be more consistent and he should pick his spot, a have a better shot selection.. Defensively, he's a decent help defender but can use some improvement, but he should work hard on improving he's one on one defense...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: