KNICKS -at- LAKERS - 11/24 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airball2
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject:

I agree on Lamar. With that 2nd unit he needs to get in the box and give the Lakers a 2nd post option. Too many perimeter players, poor court balance.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lamar has gotten in his head that this team has too many scorers and the post should go to Kobe/Drew/Pau/Ron before him. This basically makes him purely an outside threat and he's happy leading the team in assists.

I've been saying this for a while, only now since he isn't shooting as well from outside and playing off the bench others are noticing it. He has been doing this all year, that's why he leads the team in assists but his FG% is down to 41. He isn't making an impact scoring, he is basically accepting outside looks and playing Fisher's role with better playmaking (and actual PG skills).

You look back at 2005-2006 this is exactly how he was playing. His FG% was around the same even and his assists were leading the team. That is why you don't want LO always playing the guard role.

We almost never have him play in the forward spot anymore. He's pretty much one of the 2 guards who make up the dual guard Tri. I think Phil will ask him to move off the ball, but he doesn't move well when he's initiating or on the guard role all the time.

You have to put him back at the 4 spot and let him be a post sprinter for half his minutes. He doesn't run up the floor anymore off the ball. He doesn't look to post up. He doesn't try to use screens. Basically he is trying to put out a Jason Kidd impersonation. I think it goes back to adding Artest and Kobe being a bigger post player this year. This has made Phil adjust Odom's role again. You had a great thing going last year, I don't understand why they put him back as a guard full time again.

Good take.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I've said this in years past, it seems like you have to micromanage Lamar's minutes at the start of the season. Call offensive sequences for him to get involved and engaged. Help guide him into the post and off-the-ball reads he needs to be making. Phil will probably start doing some of that.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:

also, i would be remiss not to mention, once again, what a marvelous job DB does with the game's breakdown. it's not simply a bullet point breakdown like you get on nba.com or the like; it's statistical facts, mixed with detailed accounts of game action, and a little bit of prose thrown in for good measure. what it all adds up to is great entertainment. it is the kind of alchemy that chick was famous for, and would certainly applaud.

Thanks, Luca. Appreciate it.
airball2
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I think Lamar's going to need to understand his role is different depending on who else is on the court. With the 2nd unit last night the only post option was Bynum, and with that unit Lamar needs to play closer to the basket. When playing w/ Kobe and Bynum/Gasol Kobe often becomes the 2nd post option, and Odom can play more on the perimeter. It's probably up to the coaching to make sure they have good court balance depending on who is on the floor at a given time,and everyone understands their role. Last night the 2nd unit seemed out of whack.

This Laker team is a throw-back, and reminds more of the old McHale/Parish Celtics, or Jabbar/Worthy Lakers, when games were almost exclusively played in the paint. They have multiple players who can play with their back to the basket and force double teams, and if they can stay healthy are going to be tough team to deal with.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Lamar will get into the groove. Just have to bench the rest of the bench.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject:

airball2 wrote:

It's amazing how far south Sasha's game has gone since 2007. I think the guy is a head case, and probably needs a change in scenery. He just seems to be trying too hard.

Trying too hard? He was beat for a layup within ten seconds of entering the game, literally.

He is lucky he still plays at all. I would make him inactive at this point if I were the Lakers, he is completely useless unless you consider the ability to blow leads quickly a plus.

By the way, if shooting is his "skill" I would hate to see his weaknesses. The useless scrub is shooting 29% this season.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
airball2 wrote:

It's amazing how far south Sasha's game has gone since 2007. I think the guy is a head case, and probably needs a change in scenery. He just seems to be trying too hard.

Trying too hard? He was beat for a layup within ten seconds of entering the game, literally.

I think that's called pulling a Farmar. He's done that about 6 or 7 times already this season.
airball2
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I could see Sasha being productive on some limited teams, but he needs a team with a good, unselfish point guard. He is basically just a catch and shoot guy.

I think he can shoot, but you sure can't tell by his shooting this season. I was at a game recently watching warm-ups, and the guy didn't miss. I think sometimes during games he just needs to slow down and relax.

I could see him being productive as a role player on a team like the Suns, but he needs somebody to create his shot for him. He was money off the bench during 2007, but he's sure been nothing by chump change ever since.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject:

airball2 wrote:

This Laker team is a throw-back, and reminds more of the old McHale/Parish Celtics, or Jabbar/Worthy Lakers, when games were almost exclusively played in the paint. They have multiple players who can play with their back to the basket and force double teams, and if they can stay healthy are going to be tough team to deal with.

They can post up 4 positions and draw doubles. That's pretty scary. The points in the paint by L.A. have been ridiculous in some of these games so far.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again DB; excellent as always.

Quote:
"That's something people are going to notice that are fans of the Lakers. He really shuts people down. I mean shuts them down," Phil said prior to the game. "It's not like he's going to do a good job on them. He really puts people in a freezer."

I wasn't tuned in when PJ said this; wow that's high praise coming from him.

On Gasol:

Quote:
The Lakers seemed to push a lot more of the post offense through Bynum. "It varies a little bit every night," Pau said. "It depends on the match up. We have to go to our advantages. We have so many it's hard to focus on one or two."

So... Pau doesn't get the call that night. What does he do? Pulls in 16 rebounds!!!! How's that for not sulking? Gotta love having him on our team.

Going to the bottom of the bench:

Quote:
Morrison finished with a -15. I don't think Ammo had a lot to do with that. Luke probably would have had the unit flowing and playing to their strengths better, but Morrison is usually one of the few guys who seems to run the offense and not force things. Others were misfiring with a lot of frequency.

He may be thin, not quick, unathletic, etc. but I believe you're right; I'll take unathletic over selfish and stupid any day.

Finally the quote from Shannon:

Quote:
"It's not a problem we can't fix"

That's what I like to hear!! Now let's see it happen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: