GRIZZLIES -at- LAKERS - 11/6 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
To "Freakout"

Regarding "the ball just bounces your way" - being a rebounder means going after the ball. Your suggested method leaves it too luck, where most NBA coaches/players recognized that rebounds is the direct result of effort.

I never said being a rebounder meant NOT going after the ball. Still, as I said, other players do box out and simply saying a guy should go for the ball is really simplifying things. A 6'5 guy can and do box out centers. Sure I suppose the center could go through them but that would be a foul. However, it would be foolish to say luck doesn't play a part in rebounding.

Quote:
Regarding "Drew is averaging 10 boards a game"
It should be noted that Pau hasn't played this season and LO hasn't awaken from his long nights with Khloe - many, like myself, have watched the games and wondered if LO is even playing (another subject). If Bynum is not getting more rebounds during this time, he needs his minutes to be cut down.

I don't get this. Again he is averaging 10 per game but you feel the need to be-little this why? He leads the team in rebounding and because of that he should be punished?

Quote:
Regarding being "freaking zoned"
I, unfortunately, am not as emotional as you are. When I see 2nd-tier centers (Dampier) outplay Drew - along with his 3 rebound game, one observes this and wonder if there is a pattern starting. It is hard to imagine that a 7' center doesn't get more 3 rebounds by mistake if he is around the rim - which Drew is.

It is hard not to get a little confused when I see a 22 year old center that is putting up 20 and 10 get over analyzed. Dampier completely out played Bynum by having 8 and 10 compared to Drew's 14 and 10. Wasn't Drew's best game by any means but it is a stretch to say Dampier out played him.

Quote:
Regarding being "realistic and understanding"
Being 7' means that he should get to many rebounds because he is taller. With LO always floating in "Never Never Land" and Kobe or RonRon posting up while demanding double teams, Drew is always on the weakside with a clear path to the hoop since (besides LO) DFish and RonRon are on the perimeter leaving him with the best position to rebound.

Regarding "boxing out" - as just stated, with Drew on the weakside - he has excellent opportunities to rebound, if he wants to.

Actually most of the time the offense starts on the strong side with Drew posting up with his man behind him. Then the ball is swung weakside where Kobe goes to work fast. Drew is often already being boxed out by the other big before the ball is shot on the weakside.

Quote:
Regarding "Averaging 10 boards a game is not a easy thing to do" - in this current lineup, he should always average between 8 - 10 rebounds, especially when Pau comes back because he will be a post player that demands a doubleteam.

Again when has he not averaged between 8 - 10 rebounds? If you want to rip apart every single game then we could find huge flaws in every player on the team.

Quote:
Regarding "You do realize that in Pau Gasol's 8 years in the league he has not once averaged 10 rebounds a game?"
Of course, you do realize that Pau is (presently) a much better player since he a better passer, better scorer, better defender and a much better basketball IQ.

And that excuses him from rebounding? So Drew simply needs to become better offensively then he will also get a free pass.

Quote:
Regarding "Right now there are only 6 guys ahead of Bynum in rebounding at the center position" - my God, if Bynum is thinking that he is an All-Star, should there be 6 guys rebounding more than him in a league where there are very few legimate centers!

What we are starting to see with clearer eyes what type of center Bynum will be. People hope that he will be a Super Star, that doesn't look like it will happen. Will he be a good center, probably - just as long as he is not playing against 2nd tier centers like Erick Dampier who can consistently stop him. When the Lakers play DHoward, KG, Shaq, Damp and others deep into the playoffs - is it realistic that Drew can play them straight-up and/or with minimum double-teams?

Was Eddie Jones expected to be a super star?

Was Kobe?

Why is Bynum held to different standards? Instead of enjoying watching a blossoming 22 year old center improve and grow why is he being treated that he should already be a finished product?
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject:

MisterGMB wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Thanks again DB

I wonder how many people actually remember the other Dancing Barry

Remember “Dancing Barry”?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-barry-dancing-2451636-richards-game

Quote:
“The Knicks had a guy named ‘Dancing Harry’ so I became Dancing Barry,” Richards said. “There’s still some (entertainment) footage of me floating around in Houston. But it became much bigger in L.A. It’s much better when you’re dancing for a championship team.”

Ron Ron knows what's up!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: