CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS - 10/27 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sometimes, however, you do wonder whether you are an assassin, a soldier or an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill. Such is life in the post Apocalypse.

thanks DB

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

I personally thought it was a sloppy game but, sometimes you have to win ugly.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

1) A playing unit of non-starters could work (even without Lamar) as long as Farmar is functioning as floor general. That second unit has no shot creating capabilities, and they're pretty ragged in half-court execution. Without Farmar in play making mode, that bench will implode. Fortunately Lamar will help lead that unit within the next few games, which will change the dynamic.

2) With a hobbled BDavis and an incapacitated Griffin, the Clips could never really take control of the game. Phil ran the team like an extended practice session, using the lead to experiment with his bench, and then using the lost lead to motivate his starters into playing with a greater sense of urgency.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Ron is a great addition, but his shooting woes seem to be tied up in his head, similar to Sasha's plight last year.

He's apparently become the Gym rat that Sasha was last year, and is working to a point of counter production. He needs to stop worrying about whether the shot goes in, and to take it with a little faith that it will go in. It's really that simple. A simple shift of focus.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject:

thanks for the recap
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject:

Good job, as usual.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject:

I was definitely not happy with Phil's 2nd quarter all-bench lineup. Powell and Mbenga are reliable players when they are surrounded by better players, but they are absolute poison when they play together in the frontcourt. It becomes even worse when those 2 guys are playing without Kobe in the backcourt. Even with Pau out, Phil should never have put that lineup out there. With Pau returning possibly on Friday, this shouldn't be a problem in the future.

As for the game, the Lakers lacked focus, but it was to be expected on ring night. I like seeing Kobe in the post, but I hope we get a little more balance offensively throughout the season. Drew put up 26 and 13, and it didn't seem surprising at all, which is a sign of good things to come. He definitely looks infinitely more mobile than he did at any point last season. I like Lamar's confidence in his J, but let's hope he doesn't get 3-ball happy. Artest's offense is a little concerning, but I love his intangibles.

Overall, it's a good start to the season. Let's hope the bench play gets stronger once Lamar returns there, and I'd like to see Artest find his niche in the offense sooner rather than later.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject:

We shot the ball pretty poorly from 3 and still managed to win comfortably when the starters were out there.

Good

- Amount of post game displayed tonight. Lots of post work from Kobe, Drew, LO, Ron. Imagine having Pau.

- LO/Ron/Kobe seem to have chemistry. They were all looking for one another and finding each other.

- Defense. For the first game of the season where I expect it to be the low point, we got some good segments. Not 48 minutes but there were a few stretches. Especially liked how active the hands/length of Kobe and LO were. 6 steals between them.

- Drew/LO. Fantastic 2nd/3rd option play here. Once again proved why all those years I had those debates arguing why I thought they could win rings as 2nd/3rd guys alongside Kobe once Drew developed.

Bad

- Ron's shooting. Ron is getting the same looks Trev was. We do have to remember it took Trevor a few months last season to get it. He wasn't a money shooter until late in the season and specifically the playoffs. As Kobe said it took some time.

- 2nd unit play. Disgusting. Some really bad shots. They looked out of sorts. We need a much better bench and look forward to having Lamar back on the 2nd unit full time as well being paired with 1-2 other starters.

- Fish's shooting. Missed a ton of looks he normally makes. Hopefully this is just a bad game and not a sign of Fisher in decline. He didn't shoot well in the playoffs either, minus a game here or there and making big shots in the clutch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject:

If it wasn't ring night with all the great Lakers pagentry, the HOF legends, and the bling, I would've thought the game was another sloppy exhibition game.

What a great, classy pre-game show! It really makes you feel proud to be a Lakers fan when the org reminds us of the special rich history of the franchise. When the Logo appears, you remember him running off court with Riley draped on him after winning a ring. Magic and the baby sky hook, Big Shot Rob bombing the Kings -- so many great memories AND you have the promise of more to come.

As for the game, Kobe is, well, Kobe. He looks extremely quick this year. A relaxing summer, no doubt, helps.

Drew also looks faster, getting up and down the court and immediately sealing. He had a couple of lobs that he probably rushed, but on the whole, great game.

LO filled in all the necessary gaps. He's such a great insurance policy in case Drew or Pau go down. RonRon was a little tentative, like he's still feeling his way into the system. He's an underrated playmaker in the post. He fed Fish and Farmar for easy layups with some pretty nifty dropoff passes. I can't remember the last time both little PGs had layups out of a halfcourt set.
Burgundy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject:

Dancing Barry - Great Write Up, as usual!

That said, Phil's 2nd Unit, 2nd Quarter line-up made perfect sense. Phil has been coaching the Lakers long enough for us to have a good read on the games he likes to play. That 2nd Quarter line-up had four purposes:

1) Give the starters some rest in a game he knew they would win.

2) Use it as a "teaching moment" for the bench guys to see how well they knew the triangle.

3) Knock Jordan Farmar down a peg, as he's been crowing that he should be the starter.

4) Plant the seed with the front office that they need to make a trade by midseason to solidify their bench.

Phil knows what he's doing.

Another thing:

We all love Fish. He's hit many clutch shots during his career. He's also missed a TON of wide open shots, especially in the past two years. Fortunately for him, everyone will remember Fish in the 2009 Playoffs for decking Scola and igniting the team, and hitting those two huge 3's in Game 4 of the Finals.

What they won't remember is he was absolutely awful otherwise. He shot 39% for the playoffs and a Sasha like 28% from 3pt land (keeping in mind that every one of his three point attempts are WIDE OPEN - it's not like he's shooting under durress). And that doesn't even touch on the fact he was terrible defensively. He made Aaron Brooks look like the greatest point guard of all time.

The fact that Phil still needs lean heavily on Fish for big minutes simply because he's the only one of Phil's three choices (Fish, Shannon, and Farmar) who doesn't play out of control and turn the ball over a ton is a pretty sad idictment of the point guard situation.

I think everyone realizes outside the team, and inside the team that Farmar is not the right guy to play point guard in the tri. Farmar needs to play for a bad team where he can dominate the ball and put up stats in a helter skelter style. He'd be perfect for the Warriors...

Phil needs to give Shannon Brown a little more run with the first unit to improve his game. Brown always plays better when surrounded by better players - you put him on the second unit and he adopts that same out-of-control style Farmar does.
pg22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject:

Only thing I'll add is that the team needs to focus when shooting the free throws a bit more. Just because you don't feel the pressure, doesn't mean you should shoot them nonchalantly.
pg22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject:

Burgundy wrote:
Dancing Barry - Great Write Up, as usual!

That said, Phil's 2nd Unit, 2nd Quarter line-up made perfect sense. Phil has been coaching the Lakers long enough for us to have a good read on the games he likes to play. That 2nd Quarter line-up had four purposes:

1) Give the starters some rest in a game he knew they would win.

2) Use it as a "teaching moment" for the bench guys to see how well they knew the triangle.

3) Knock Jordan Farmar down a peg, as he's been crowing that he should be the starter.

4) Plant the seed with the front office that they need to make a trade by midseason to solidify their bench.

Phil knows what he's doing.

Another thing:

We all love Fish. He's hit many clutch shots during his career. He's also missed a TON of wide open shots, especially in the past two years. Fortunately for him, everyone will remember Fish in the 2009 Playoffs for decking Scola and igniting the team, and hitting those two huge 3's in Game 4 of the Finals.

What they won't remember is he was absolutely awful otherwise. He shot 39% for the playoffs and a Sasha like 28% from 3pt land (keeping in mind that every one of his three point attempts are WIDE OPEN - it's not like he's shooting under durress). And that doesn't even touch on the fact he was terrible defensively. He made Aaron Brooks look like the greatest point guard of all time.

The fact that Phil still needs lean heavily on Fish for big minutes simply because he's the only one of Phil's three choices (Fish, Shannon, and Farmar) who doesn't play out of control and turn the ball over a ton is a pretty sad idictment of the point guard situation.

I think everyone realizes outside the team, and inside the team that Farmar is not the right guy to play point guard in the tri. Farmar needs to play for a bad team where he can dominate the ball and put up stats in a helter skelter style. He'd be perfect for the Warriors...

Phil needs to give Shannon Brown a little more run with the first unit to improve his game. Brown always plays better when surrounded by better players - you put him on the second unit and he adopts that same out-of-control style Farmar does.

I actually think Morrison can do a decent job off the bench. His 3-point shot is deadly, and his defense on JR Smith, well, let's just say, surprised me a bit(he didn't shut him down, but at least he didn't embarrass himself, and the fact that we even put him on JR Smith is a testament to his defense, as we'd never do that with Luke).
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Just rewatching that Shannon Brown dunk play... I think he was going to try to pull off a 360.

Why wasn't there a flagrant on that play? Kaman didn't even try making a play on the ball. Instead he almost undercut Shannon by using his body.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes, however, you do wonder whether you are an assassin, a soldier or an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill. Such is life in the post Apocalypse.

thanks DB

Subtle references from the various apocalyptic genre my creep in here from time to time...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:

Ron is a great addition, but his shooting woes seem to be tied up in his head, similar to Sasha's plight last year.

He's apparently become the Gym rat that Sasha was last year, and is working to a point of counter production. He needs to stop worrying about whether the shot goes in, and to take it with a little faith that it will go in. It's really that simple. A simple shift of focus.

It does look like he's pressing. I expected him to be tight tonight with all the festivities. He wouldn't break out of his slump in this game. He'd probably do better on the road where he doesn't have to worry about expectations...but that ain't gonna happen for a while.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject:

8750 wrote:

DB, i was only saying that finally the new season has begun, nothing else...

Ah. Glad to hear.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Flo'z wrote:

:chills:

Thanks, Flo'z. Hope it still resonates with those who may not have followed along last year. Glad it didn't come across as one of those awkward backstory recap moments you see in books and TV.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks a bunch DB!

Now I have to do what I don't want to do anymore...at least one more time. You know the only thing about inspiration I don't like, is that it inspires you even when you don't feel like allowing yourself to be inspired.

Ugh.

Btw, this was just too good not to quote (again):

DancingBarry wrote:

How about errand man? Will that fly?
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Bynum had more than one F'n block! damn stat keepers
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Flo'z wrote:

How about errand man? Will that fly?

I don't know. Brando used "errand boy" in Apocalypse Now.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject:

calistrtballr wrote:
Bynum had more than one F'n block! damn stat keepers

Yeah, I thought I saw 2 also. One on Kaman and one on someone attacking baseline (not that one called for the foul).
don ford
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject:

DB, I'm one of those (mostly-)lurker types that really looks forward to your summaries, but never says anything. In fact, increasingly, I skim quickly over the LA Times drivel, and instead eagerly go to your recaps the next morning.

So I take the occasion of the first game of a new season to, at long last, say: THANKS !
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject:

i'm fairly new here, but have been lurking for a long time. these write ups aren't new to me...

but since now i'm posting here and especially since i couldn't watch the game, it's clear that reading about little larry, angel, death and the horseman is a continuing saga...and lg is lucky to have someone like you to write about it...

thanks for all of the effort. you're truly talented!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!!

Great work by the Lakers and the Little Larry II saga is now officially underway...

Can hardly wait until Friday.
Trajan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject:

I hope Phil learned his lesson. He needs to manage the rotations a lot better.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: