Artest in the Offense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Artest in the Offense

Ariza is gone, but now we have Artest. There's no question that Artest is a better player and is in the middle of his prime. So what will be Artest's role in the Laker system? The answer is here.

Due to his limited ball handling skills in fullcourt and the difficulty to quickly grasp the many duties of the triangle initiator, Artest will be limited at first to the wing, meaning that Kobe and Fisher will make up the two-guard front. That will change eventually, since Kobe likes to stay on that wing in the halfcourt.

This blog post will cover Artest's options on the wing, top of the key, and semi transition.

Enjoy.

LINK: http://forums.lakersground.net/blog.php/2009/09/02/ron-artest-in-the-triangle-offense/
Spirit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject:

Once again, good stuff, Wilt.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject:

Nice Wilt.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks Wilt, good stuff.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject:

!...
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject:

Believe diagram 6 will really utilize Artest strengths on Offense.

He is a our Second best Post player.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject:

All hail Wilt. I want to get you drunk and...errr...pick your brain about basketball. (nice save, GT!) *pats self on back*

Seriously though, your contributions are one of the best parts about this site.
koolmo23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject:

great post thanks wilts
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Wilt FTW!!!
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Nice work as always, Wilt!

I watched a couple games this summer from last season, and just focused on TA - where he set up, where he cut, where he spotted up, and I imagined what Ron could do in his place. The open looks are great, but it sure seemed like there would be a lot of chances for him to take his man down to the block, seal with that big body while the ball is swung, and then just receive the pass and go up. Especially cosidering the personnel used to guard Trevor. Ron just adds one more layer to an already potent offense, and as much as I crave that opening night game, I get really excited thinking about March and April. I think Phil is going to have a blast putting in the additions he likes to save for the stretch run. Once Ron masters the basics, these guys are going to be un-freakin'-believable!
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wilt, nice work.

Ariza was not a real good dribbler, but he was able to bring the ball upcourt for the offense under light pressure (and did so a fair number of times after either ball-outs or defensive rebounds ). This option presented a powerful option for Kobe to head straight to one of his favored (post) positions for an entry pass or a roll to another position. It was an effective combination at any rate.

Though Artest is not quite as triangle-capable initially as an experienced Ariza for this one thing, it seems his dribbling ability ought to be sound enough to bring the ball up past mid-court as initiator. He can dribble some, right ?
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject:

fantastic blog post wilt.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject:

Someone noticed that I made a mistake in describing what happens in diagram 4. It's been fixed.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Thanks Wilt, nice work.

Ariza was not a real good dribbler, but he was able to bring the ball upcourt for the offense under light pressure (and did so a fair number of times after either ball-outs or defensive rebounds ). This option presented a powerful option for Kobe to head straight to one of his favored (post) positions for an entry pass or a roll to another position. It was an effective combination at any rate.

Though Artest is not quite as triangle-capable initially as an experienced Ariza for this one thing, it seems his dribbling ability ought to be sound enough to bring the ball up past mid-court as initiator. He can dribble some, right ?

Eventually, he'll transition into the two-guard front. At least, I hope it happens. It'll save Kobe a lot of energy.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Thanks Wilt, nice work.

As much as I like Trevor, in addition to his below average dribbling ability, his decision making in terms of swing passes or post entry passes left a lot to be desired. I'm hoping Artest is an upgrade in that respect as well.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject:

Very cool. Love the diagrams ... Really puts it together.

Ron will play alot of 3, 2 and even 4 both positionally and in the offense. He won't be fixed to SF/3 spot like Ariza ... Phil usually uses players with multiple skills and who can defend multiple positions in a very versatile manner.

My guess right now is that Ron will play his best at SF when our objective (as well as his) is to get him shots inside. The first diagram is the best one, Wilt. I really want the Lakers and him to seek those options above all else. He can certainly make the post entry pass from what I saw of him in Houston w/Yao. Now it's on him to cut and go get those post plays.

Ideally, if it all works out. Ron is more of an initiator, sniper at 3 with the starters. Then more of a post up player when Lamar comes in. Mostly because he'll have more room to operate inside when Kobe/Gasol/Bynum aren't all in the game at the same time. When they are, he will need to help out more by setting strong screens, initiating, shooting the open looks etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
elhuynh
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject:

peendog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject:

artest will make it work..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject:

nice thanks
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Looks good although I must admit, I don't understand everything. But I think having Ron will pay the most dividends when Kobe and Pau are on the bench. He'll be able to establish a post presence and give our shooters outside looks.
8Five8Seven
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject:

great analysis Wilt!
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject:

A player's rate of acclimatization to a triangle offense is quite variable, though perhaps not that hard to predict sometimes.

We've seen a "high hoops IQ guy" like Pau Gasol slide into the Laker offense quickly, easily and with near-immediate positive impacts. We've also seen a "high individual skills guy" here before, one whose size, build, scoring style and athletic skills closely parallel those of our new guy, Ron Artest. That was Isaiah "JR" Rider.

I remember (as I'm sure you do too) seeing JR's old career patterns of 1:1 offense, ball-holding, dribbling, and very decent shooting having replicated themselves here too. He was used both out front as a guard and lower as a wing, primarily in the second unit with Horry. Interestingly, JR did score fairly effectively, if not so much as an element of the triangle offense but rather as a bail-out option for the second unit's half court offense, as the clock wound down. Hmmm.

That really makes me wonder what Phil will do initially to place Ron into the playing rotation. Maybe he tests Ron initially in both the first and second units to measure his effectiveness. The second unit actually runs the triangle more fully in the half court than does the first unit with Kobe on the floor. Maybe Ron could bring higher scoring effectiveness to the second unit's offense, in ways similar to Rider. On the other hand, would a second unit role simply mess with Ron's psyche too much to risk the experiment ? Hmmm.

In any event, here's to our chances that Ron makes a Pau-like seamless, natural, positive transition into the Laker systems.

THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely Wilkes... That is why Artest at least starting the season on unit 2 just makes more sense. Slowly, and possibly more effectively getting the offense down would pay huge dividends by playoff time. Starting Luke to begin the season would also be a plus for the Bynum Gasol connection to start building some solid continuity which should be priority one for the Lakers... Phil could promise Ron that starters spot as soon as he becomes fluid in the system. Luke certainly won't mind any sudden change since we know from last season his ego is as flexible as it gets.

Oh, and kudos on the brilliant analysis...
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject:

With time and these charts, I'm getting over the Ariza departure blues somewhat, having now both studied Wilt's diagrams more and seen more video examples of Artest's post moves. I guess I'd forgotten some of RA's early career usefulness inside as a scoring threat.

From what I can tell, he's not what I'd call a methodical post scorer but he's also not always ultra-quick to try to pull the trigger from there either. I can't wait to see how Ron is used - and how he reacts - within this offense as a post threat.

I see some unusually strong opportunities with his and Lamar's inside-outside, left-right side "interoperability" and size. I really can't tell ahead of time whether working them together or separately (in either unit) would yield stronger sets.

Having these options never hurts, is what I take from it now. New options too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: