NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 5/27 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject:

NYLakerFan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Good job, DB, but Luke has to offer some kind of resistance against Melo on D. He was pathetic.

Why pick on Luke? Ariza was like a swinging door against Melo. He literally turned and watched Melo go right past him and into Bynum for a couple of fouls. Ariza is too damn quick to allow that to happen. At least Luke offers a little resistance, strength wise, when Melo tries to back him down. Ariza is a great help defender but he has got to work on his man-to-man defense in the off season. Maybe he should study old tapes of Coop.

Ariza's body type will never be big and strong enough for a player like melo. Luke's will never be quick enough. That said I would like to see both players stay back far enough to prevent the drive. Melo is not going to make all his shots, but sending him to the line time and time again is demoralizing.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject:

Nice game, thanks.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject:

Woo Hoo! That was fun to watch. Loved how we actually ran the offense, looked for the open man, moved the ball, made the extra pass, and didn't take quick shots, and worked the ball inside. Hopefully we remember this recipe and can play that way in Denver, because this is the way we're gonna win the championship. Gotta use all your weapons. Props to LO for stepping up big time, despite being in pain. I LOVED the lineup that started the 4th quarter. Real good defensive unit and as DB said, several impact players on the court to get off to a good start. Seems like when its mostly the bench in there to start the 4th we lose momentum and struggle to get it back. Loved the rotations. Loved the aggressiveness. Let's close this out in Denver so we can get some rest...Go Cavs!

P.S. Great story DB. I think this was my favorite so far. Loved the Candy Man theme with Famine handing out life savers. Brilliant!

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
X56
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject:

Its amazing how great we play when we are active, ball movement and with passion... Looking forward for the 4th Key...
mefor3
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject:

told you guys Lamar will show up!!! great win and lets try to close it out on friday!!
Burgundy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject:

Great Write-Up, as always DB! Loved the lifesavers touch!

I'm still flabberghasted that Karl complained about the refs. Just ridiculous.

On Monday, Phil Jackson was complaining about a clear pattern of calls that were keeping the Lakers from gaining momentum and mounting a comeback.

Last night?

I'm not sure what game Karl was watching, but Melo got the call pretty much EVERY time he got touched. There were MAYBE two non-calls in the fourth quarter, but equally there were 2 or 3 non-calls on Kobe.

I counted TWO plays where Fish got called for fouls on steal attempts where he swiped the ball cleanly.

As for Nene - regarding the three fouls that were in question:

1) The foul on Ariza's three - he did hit him. Not blatantly, but there was contact, and the fact of the matter is, Ariza got called for the same level of contact on a Melo put back in lane - that's just consistent refereeing.

2) The offensive foul on Gasol. Nene has been pulling and grabbing with his hands the whole series. They could pretty much call it every time. They decided to call it this time. He grabbed Pau by the jersey and yanked him backwards. That's a foul. I don't know what he was complaining about (unless he was saying, "I've been getting away with that for 4 games...you're going to call it now?")

3) The final foul on Gasol. Nene flopped, pure and simple. However, he flopped before Gasol even made contact, so he ended up tripping Gasol, so both guys ended up on the ground. So if you're the ref, you have to call something. Do you call the foul on the guy who's playing basketball, or do you call the foul on the guy who botched a flop instead of playing actual defense?

It's so funny, because I actually thought this was the most evenly officiated game in the series (they let contact go both ways).

Karl is clearly smoking crack if he thinks he has something to complain about.

And by the way, they showed slow-mo replays on all of Gasol's 5 blocks - THEY WERE ALL CLEAN (in fact, on one of them, K-Mart got blocked by the backboard). Gasol didn't get rung up for many fouls because HE DIDN'T FOUL.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject:

What a refreshing change of pace. Can't recall a game when each of the first three quarters ended in a tie, and the final period set up as a real showdown.

It was early in the 4th quarter that Mark Jackson said that Kobe needed to "impose" himself on the game, and "raise his level of play" above everyone else.

That seems to be the prevailing view of NBA basketball these days. A superstar has to dominate. And no denying that it works sometimes, and satisfies those whose primary motivation is the support of a hero rather than the team ... or even watching basketball for that matter.

But to me, that's not good basket ball. And last night's win was not a superstar exhibition. I was a team win. As soon as they came out, I could sense that they had more energy as the Nuggets and were moving the ball better. Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, and Shannon Brown, together, had more to do with this win than any one person (who was 0-5 with 2 TOs in the final period).

Finally, we used our bigs and got good opportunities to score. I appreciated Kobe's pass to Lamar down low more than anything else he did last night. I immediately said, "that's basketball".

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB -- great write up.

That was a tremendous performance by the Lakers. Shannon Brown's toughness was a great infusion and Lamar's heart was on full display.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:

Sweet! Odomination and ShanWow with the samurai mentality, as VTB would say.

The Lakers went away from the triangle quite a bit in the 4th. A lot of side P&R's that got bodies moving and made entry passes easier. The Lakers were very patient, not jacking up the first 3 available, and made a couple of extra passes to get it into Pau or LO in the paint. One brilliantly executed play in which all 5 Lakers on the floor touched the ball and wound up with an And1 for LO.

I didn't realize how bad LO's back was until reading today's LAT article. Vitti gets an assist for McGuyver-ing a brace.

ShanWow - stay ready, young man. 0 minutes in the 1st half, some huge impact minutes in the 2nd. That may be one of the worst games I've seen from the normally steady Billups.

Karl's "poor me" routine at the press conference was pretty funny. He said he didn't want to complain about the refs, but he went ahead and did it anyway. I may be biased, but I thought it was a well called game.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:

What a refreshing change of pace. Can't recall a game when each of the first three quarters ended in a tie, and the final period set up as a real showdown.

That's because the last time it happened in a playoff game was 1965.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject:

Great job DB....Cmon Lakers lets go into Denver and finish these crybabies(Yea Denver i read that article about the refs and stuff...FYI they been doing that to us all series)lol
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

On my way to work yesterday I had an errand to run so I parked, looked around, and what did I see? A very clean, blue 427 Nova. It's windows were in perfect condition, not one sign of having been busted out as you described. That was an omen if I ever saw one.

Excellent.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject:

Burgundy wrote:

I'm not sure what game Karl was watching, but Melo got the call pretty much EVERY time he got touched.

emplay called him on that in the post game questions, talking about Melo going to the line more than Kobe. I like how Karl said Nene was in foul trouble but not Pau...what about Bynum? Hello.

In real time, I thought a couple of those blocks by Gasol might have been fouls, but when I saw the replays...they were clean. Excellent work by Pau. We're there missed calls? Sure, but it seemed pretty evenly distributed. I could list a number of missed ones on our end if I wanted to (LO and Luke both should have been at the line on contact when missing layups, the contact to Kobe's head could have given us another possession with a flagrant, etc.)
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 5/27 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Quote:
Lamar -- -- Odomination. "If my back is hurt, if it isn't hurt, I'm just going to go out there and give it 100 percent," Lamar said. He started to dominate the glass and with Kobe spacing the floor, he had room to work in the paint on the offensive end, including a huge And-1 throwdown in the fourth. "Sometimes aggression comes out and it cameout with a scream after that dunk," LO said. There was a stretch where he was dominating the defensive paint, grabbing boards, challenging shots, controlling the interior. These are the things we missed from him in the last game. The Lakers were down in the third when he and Shannon came in and turned the tables on the Nuggets. That's the bench play the Lakers need. Bring it again, LO. Bring it again. The Stats: He scored 19 points on 7-15 shooting (1-1 from three, 4-7 from the line) to go with 14 boards (4 offensive), 3 assists, 4 blocks, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 32 minutes. He was a +18. The Action: He hit a jumphook, flashing to the ball in the post. He missed on a drive to his right. He got swatted by Andersen, not making the extra pass. He was blocked by Andersen at the rim on a throwdown attempt (again, the extra pass and it's a layup for Pau). He missed a three. Next time against Birdman, he took the body on the shot to score an And-1 layup, he made the FT. He drew FTs in the middle of the lane in early offense, he made one. Nice hustle to get an offensive board off the FT miss. He attacked and hit Pau for an And-1. He grabbed another missed FT, missed his putback, but powered up and scored on the next attempt. Pressure D in the backcourt and Kleiza fumbled it out of bounds. He had 8 points on 3-9 shooting and 6 boards (4 offensive) in 12 minutes (just 1 foul). Second Half: He swished an open wing three to tie the game late in the third. He got hammered with no call in front of Garretson and missed a layup. He lost the ball on the dribble trying to create with the shotclock low. He rushed an easy layup and missed point blank. Huge poster job And-1 dunk on Andersen after Kobe set him up in the paint, he made the FT. He sealed off his man during ball movement, took the post entry and scored the easy jumphook. He dove to the floor to recover a loose ball and called timeout. He drew FTs when Billups was on him in the post, he missed both with 3 minutes (got to make those, LO). He swatted Kenyon to save a hoop. He scored an And-1 layup when Kobe found him under the hoop.

My Odom nickname has become the standard.

But the Candy Man brought it like a (bleep) man today. Despite getting rejected on a few occasions, he kept attacking and threw that (bleep) down like a champ. Let's hope his game travels to Denver. We need this type of Odom in order to win up in the Rockies.
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Burgundy wrote:

I'm not sure what game Karl was watching, but Melo got the call pretty much EVERY time he got touched.

emplay called him on that in the post game questions, talking about Melo going to the line more than Kobe. I like how Karl said Nene was in foul trouble but not Pau...what about Bynum? Hello.

In real time, I thought a couple of those blocks by Gasol might have been fouls, but when I saw the replays...they were clean. Excellent work by Pau. We're there missed calls? Sure, but it seemed pretty evenly distributed. I could list a number of missed ones on our end if I wanted to (LO and Luke both should have been at the line on contact when missing layups, the contact to Kobe's head could have given us another possession with a flagrant, etc.)

Another thing I noticed was Jackson and Van Gundy even mentioning how they weren't fouls on Anthony's drives. Martin was blocked by the basket, and Anthony wasn't getting any contact from Gasol when he was attacking as shown on the replays and mentioned by the commentators.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:

That's because the last time it happened in a playoff game was 1965.

Glad to know something predates me.

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DB - Thanks for the write-up! Could you share what "Legs" was talking about on ESPN where the Lakers were 'zoning up" with the two bigs (Pau & LO/Bynum) in the paint area to guard against drives to the paint? When the Lakers were actually defending the paint while Shannon was locking down Billups - the Lakers played great D (as shared by Kobe during the after-game interviews).
Yeah, they were particularly effective against the Martin/Andersen duo. Basically we were trying to take the high screen rolls/penetration away and giving up the corners. If the Nuggets tried to attack it off the dribble, they would end up with two or three defenders on them in the paint. Lamar and Pau were doing a good job helping each other and floating in the paint.

I think Karl eventually tried to counter this by going to Kleiza at PF to get a shooter and more mobile player in there. If the Nuggets didn't take the open corner looks then they paid the price.
Thank you for giving more specifics on how Pau/LO were zoning up the two sides of the paint. How do you think the Lakers will play D with Kleiza on the court?
Simony
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Awesome recap of game 5 by Dancing Barry!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Thank you for giving more specifics on how Pau/LO were zoning up the two sides of the paint. How do you think the Lakers will play D with Kleiza on the court?

I'd wager they stick with it and probably give up the three on occasion when they can't/don't rotate in time.

They need to kill on the other end with him. Offensive boards, post ups for Lamar, attack the paint, etc... all the things you want to do against a small lineup and make them pay.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject:

I must say - I'm praying for those 5 last bells to ring!

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: