TV Alert -- I'll be on ESPN's "Oustside the Lines" this weekend
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Larry - That's fantastic! Kudos to you.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Just got done watching it - very nice job Larry!
beernut
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that. That was a really interesting story, and it sounds like we're not hearing the whole thing regarding what teams & the league knew about his condition. I wonder if Cuttino knew he was going to be forced into retirement before he came to NY.

Also, sweet 'stache.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject:

beernut wrote:
Thanks for that. That was a really interesting story, and it sounds like we're not hearing the whole thing regarding what teams & the league knew about his condition. I wonder if Cuttino knew he was going to be forced into retirement before he came to NY.

With some allowance for the possibility that he may not have really understood the implications ten years ago, I think that when it was originally diagnosed he weighed the risks and decided to keep playing. He hadn't lived his dream yet, he hadn't made his money, and he didn't have a family. Ten years later it's a different equation -- he's played in the league, he's made his millions, and he has an eight year old son. But it would have been really awkward to say, "I've had this for ten years, I've reassessed, and I've decided to retire now." Instead he used the Knicks trade as an opportunity to make a graceful exit. The comments that were made at the time are consistent with this interpretation. The Knicks went along with it because they cared more about the shorter contract than his production as a player, and this gave them a few PR points.

Quote:
Also, sweet 'stache.

My wife likes it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
stillmatic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject:

Crap! I missed it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: