NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 5/21 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray_Gonzoles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject:

Bummer, this is a game the Lakers had in hand and let slip away.

On to Denver and regain HCA.

Thanks for the recap DB!
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
isnt this on par with blowing the lead last year in the finals?

Personally I don't feel so, because they've blown double digit leads in the majority of playoff games this year. It's gotten to a point where I think the team and especially the coaching staff have instinctively accepted it as a reality of this squad. Life could be easier if they've run their triangle more and crisply, but this year they don't seem to believe in it.
Doggy Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Phil's coaching tonite is worthy of getting fired. I mean it. It was inexcusable, vindictive, and lazy. Going with guys he "knows" but aren't producing over guys who have proved that they can get it done (like Shannon). Fisher and Sasha -- if I were coaching, they would only get garbage minutes. And I think if Bynum is underperforming, sub him out, talk sense into him, and put him back on the floor. But sitting him out almost a whole half? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Real mature, intelligent teaching there, Phillip.

And for the life of me, refusing to call TOs to stem a run by Denver. To my memory, this team has almost NEVER "figured" it out on their own. How many damn leads get blowns before PJ finally realizes that he's not coaching a team full of HOF'rs?

Like I said, a perfgormance worthy of a firing. And it isn't the first one this post-season. Everyone loses their fastball -- that goes for coaches, too. But if I were Buss I'd take a serious look at firing PJ for yet another reason: his style of coaching is turning a team with incredible physical advantages into a plodding unit that now specializes in an arththritic, constipated style of play, where every damn game comes down to a last shot.

There is no earthly reason for that save PJ's thinking he's smarter than everyone else. I only hope that Tex can get on the phone and read this jerk the riot act. Maybe that will change things.

But I doubt it.

If I were Kobe, I would take matters into my own hands, and start demanding PUBLICLY that PJ clean up his act. maybe public humiliation is something his Royal Smugness will respond to.

SGH

you made lots of great points SGH, but the one that really stands out to me "not calling a TO so the team figures it out". Why the hell they need to figure it out themselves? I mean it would be nice and all, but thats the coach job isnt it?

The whole idea in the playoffs is to win the game, not teach the players how to figure out ishh and end losing games. Especially in the freaking WCF

IMO, Phils rotations and stubbornness cost us the game. BOOO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject:

i think that SGH goes to the point: when phil jackson's body became slow and rigid, also his mind became slow and rigid... if you think that zen is about flexibility, nothing is more far from zen than our coach's attitude... from years he can't read what's happening on the floor, and he doesn't want to change his formula for no reason at all... we have a very senile coach...
BornAndBredLakersFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject:

Phil's coaching tonite is worthy of getting fired. I mean it. It was inexcusable, vindictive, and lazy. Going with guys he "knows" but aren't producing over guys who have proved that they can get it done (like Shannon). Fisher and Sasha -- if I were coaching, they would only get garbage minutes. And I think if Bynum is underperforming, sub him out, talk sense into him, and put him back on the floor. But sitting him out almost a whole half? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Real mature, intelligent teaching there, Phillip.

And for the life of me, refusing to call TOs to stem a run by Denver. To my memory, this team has almost NEVER "figured" it out on their own. How many damn leads get blowns before PJ finally realizes that he's not coaching a team full of HOF'rs?

Like I said, a perfgormance worthy of a firing. And it isn't the first one this post-season. Everyone loses their fastball -- that goes for coaches, too. But if I were Buss I'd take a serious look at firing PJ for yet another reason: his style of coaching is turning a team with incredible physical advantages into a plodding unit that now specializes in an arththritic, constipated style of play, where every damn game comes down to a last shot.

There is no earthly reason for that save PJ's thinking he's smarter than everyone else. I only hope that Tex can get on the phone and read this jerk the riot act. Maybe that will change things.

But I doubt it.

If I were Kobe, I would take matters into my own hands, and start demanding PUBLICLY that PJ clean up his act. maybe public humiliation is something his Royal Smugness will respond to.

SGH

I agree. I HOPE this is Coach Nine Rings last year here. I love Phil but this year I am DONE with his butt. Give me a coach who can teach rebounding, defense and how to make a post entry pass to the bigs down low. Phil is an IDIOT. No game time adjustments, no communication with his players, plays favorites, doesn't trust young players and has lost the last 2 NBA finals he has been in. Time to move on. Jeannie needs to dump his butt and move on as well. Bring in Michael Cooper.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
thanks, DB
... but it's unbelievable that our coach never plays a high-low situation... that would be definitely the best solution for our big men...

hit the nail right on the head. in the regular season we used to have an almost unstoppable & nicely executed interior ball movement using our big men. we're not playing to our strengths.. what happened??
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Vandal08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject:

well, I couldn't wait to get on this AM...

I am in agreement with most on here. This loss is on Phil. No question. I have read the comments on Bynum/pro and con. But the truth is, when he is in the game he dissuades forays to the basket on a regular basis. We were winning. Second, Farmar had a great stint...not from a scoring standpoint, but RUNNING THE OFFENSE. We were the most fluid in our offense when he was in. Afterwards things bogged down. Shannon did some good things, but made some boneheaded plays, but I can take those because he puts pressure on the defense with his ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket.

But ultimately, aside from the no call on the jump ball and subsequent foul on Ariza from Anthony...Phil tripped the f out. Bynum needed to play in that second half and Farmar was done dirty, plain and simple. Period.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject:

i'm not masochist, but i saw again the game now... two things: first, bynum was really lethargic in his defensive approach in third quarter... and then, in the last nine minutes of the game, kobe took only four shots, and made three: we desperatley need to put the ball much more in his hands in the final quarter of a game like this...
Stu Lantz is my Homeboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject:

DB, I cant understand your rating for a guy who scores 17 and 17 with only 8 shots....
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, we lost. But the Lakers played ok. It's not like when they folded against the Rockets.
pask
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject:

A few toughts:

- D. Jones and JR Smith foul trouble was truly a bessing in disguise for the Nuggets. Kleiza was the player who turned the game around. Worst part of it is that George Karl now knows a new way to attack the Lakers.

- Starting unit (minus Bynum) lost the lead in the second. The only positive think about losing big leads is that this means this team is able to create them.

- When we were 7 down in the fourth, we came back due to Shannon Brown. Phil, if ain´t broken, don´t fix it. Brown was clearly outplaying Fisher. Keep him in the game.

- Say all you want about Bynum, but when he was on court Billups wasn´t killing our guards inside.

- Said with Houston and I´ll say it again. We can play 5 bigs if we want to (KB, Ariza, Lamar, Pau Andrew).
Against Houston the reason was to crush them inside.

With Denver playing without shooting guards and with the lineup of Billups, Carmelo, Kleiza plus two bigs, we HAVE to use that big lineup. Not Derek, neither Brown can stop Billups if he´s on and pounding them inside. Carmelo is also a nightmare down below in the offensive boards. The switches when Denver are playing that group are a real nigthmare. They get way too many easy shoots down low, Fisher can´t defend his pick.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject:

The Lakers had a lot more problems than Bynum, who by the way, is still trying to figure out his rotations. Bynum puts forth 100% effort when he's sure he's doing things right, otherwise he just can't make decisions on what to do. It has nothing to do with laziness. That's what people don't understand about him. Also, his agility is not a 100% so he has problems covering the pnr.
Back to the Lakers problems, they are giving Denver players straight paths to the hoop, that's a coaching issue. The whole team's been doing it the entire series, they are working the wings too much leaving a runway open up the gut.

One other point, this team has been tentative offensively, especially regarding taking it to the hoop.

Last but not least, this game was fixed. billips and melo got way more love than they deserved from the refs. The officiating for our two home games has been a travesty of justice.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject:

-phil's loyalty to d-fish is killing this team
-phil! call a damn timeout and protect the early lead
-LO kept leaving kmart and giving up dunks
-bynum did look alittle slow but was having a pretty good game. no excuse for him not to be out there in the 4th.
-smh @ fish. 1-9, 5 fouls, 2 turnovers, missed layups, leaving billups to help out
-2nd unit needs to feed pau everytime. he barely had a touch during that early part of the 2nd Qtr
-luke kept leaving kleiza, giving him those open 3s
-refs were pretty good until they swallowed their whistles twice on that jump ball
-what the hell was that lineup phil went to when he sat kobe in the 4th?
-also, no reason to sit kobe, 4 fouls or not
-luke allowed melo to heat up. LEAVE ARIZA IN THERE!!!!!
-once again pau misses both free throws late in the 4th. he was getting tossed around like a rag doll. fish would have been WIDE OPEN for that final 3 if pau had contained nene for 2 more seconds.
-shannon brown should have finished the game.
-what the hell happened to sasha's shot?????
-kobes foul on melo was BS. melo lost his balance trying to rip the ball out.
I BLAME PHIL!!!!!!!!!

CALL A (bleep) TIMEOUT!

(there i vented)
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:

I hope we win the next one.
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject:

My very first time I ever bet on the Lakers game to be Lakers (SAS fan) ...Lakers by 2 for $50.00. I knew it was a sure thing. I was sure that LA was going to stay focused, maintain home court and send a message to Denver/East especially after the lessons of the Houston series. Are they aware this is the WCF's? Where's the trademark playoff-killer instinct?
Hint: it's not a good idea to still be figuring out roles in the Conference finals. Poor Kobe. Hello Phil? Enjoy your drama and flip your switch.

I learned my lesson. Never again.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject:

My 2 cents.

A lot of fans are going crazy over tactical happenstances (missed calls etc.) The big trends, that some posters here have alluded to, IMO are:

- Melo is killing us on the offensive glass. People are blaming Pao/Drew/Odom for this but this is simplistic, they're busy holding off Nene/KMart/Birdman who are all ferocious rebounders; Melo is just too strong for Ariza/Kobe.

- Denver has superb mid/long-distance shooters setup by an awesome Billups. The Lakers designated shooters (Fisher/Vujacic) are AWOL. This allows Denver to narrow down LA's choices (pack in the paint, overplay Kobe, deny Gasol). Comparatively, Denver actually has more options available on offense. The only reason our offense looks as good as it does is because of Kobe's brilliance - otherwise we'd be dead meat.

- The Laker interior is charmin-soft pretty much like last year. Yeah Gasol is slightly better, but the success of this team was really predicated on Bynum clogging up the paint. He isn't doing it and people can debate ad-infinitum about whether thats him or PJ.

Our 2 advantages (Kobe's brilliance, Gasol's all-star skills) are being more than overcome by the 3 big disadvantages: softness, shooting, melo. In order to win, we need to overcome at least 2, and/or find something else to exploit.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject:

- Fish's 1st lay-up attempt in the 2nd half was a huge momentum killer. The Lakers were up 7 and had the opportunity to go up by 9, but Fish's bricked floater led to a fastbreak on Denver's end that resulted in a 4 point switch. It was even more frustrating to see Fish drive two more times not too long after that in heavy traffic. After all these years, Fish still doesn't know how to play within his limits.

- I love Pau's effort on the glass over the 1st two games, but he isn't a reliable go-to guy. It seemed like every time we went to him in the 2nd half resulted in a turnover, bad shot or bad possession. It isn't just this series either. Throughout the regular season Pau was unable to anchor the 2nd unit, which is a big reason why our 2nd unit lost so many big leads. Kobe really needed someone to step up and take some of the load off him, and Pau simply didn't rise to the challenge again. Also, missing two freethrows in the clutch again is inexcusable. Pau definitely experiences shrinkage when the going gets tough.

- Kobe has been a complete warrior for us in this series, but I don't know who else to count on. Kobe was clearly gassed in the 4th, but at the same time, his teammates didn't try hard enough to get him the ball. These guys need to know where their bread is buttered, and if they are going to take things into their own hands, then they had better deliver.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject:

But I doubt it.

SGH

SGH excellent post, right on the money.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I hold you in high regard, SGH, but are you kidding me? In whose universe does KB publicly taking on anyone (MUCH LESS PHIL JACKSON) end in any way other than BAD for him?

I understand your frustration, but that would only serve to throw the entire team and organization into a tailspin.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Quote:

I hold you in high regard, SGH, but are you kidding me? In whose universe does KB publicly taking on anyone (MUCH LESS PHIL JACKSON) end in any way other than BAD for him?

I understand your frustration, but that would only serve to throw the entire team and organization into a tailspin.

I don't think anything else will get Phil's head out of his own behind. SOMEONE has to B-slap Phil upside the head. I know Kobe won't do it because of the PR ruckus, but who else stands to lose the most if things continue with Phil's stubborness?

At the very least, Kobe needs to hold a pow-wow with Phil and the other coaches, if need be, and ask him what the hell he is doing. Ask him to justify his decisions which have been nothing short of putrid. And if the justifications don't wash (which they won't), tell him that for the good of the team he HAS to make changes. It's about making the right, practical decisions to help this team win. It's not about "loyalty" to guys who can't get it done. It's not about vindictively "teaching" a young kid a lesson at the expense of a needed win. It's not about his preference for vets at the expense of the younger, more able talent at hand. It's not about making them figure it out for themselves, or expecting them to play solid defense when it's not emphasized by the head coach (oh, it's "talked" about, but not emphasized in the sense of practicing it until it becomes second nature, or holding even your star player accountable when he's not doping it on the court, let alone scrubs.) It's about putting the team and players in the best position to win. It wouldn't kill Phil to put his best five players/defenders on the court at the same time, would it? What basketball principle is being challenged by playing your best five to close out games? What sound principle is being upheld by playing guys who whiff on wide open jumpers, or who can't even make a lay-up but insist on continuing to drive? What basketball tenet of excellence is supported by going through an entire season without being able to develop some damn in-bounds plays to free up your Best player for a good shot?

Last nite, that last shot for Fisher, for example, that was the best he could do? Using Kobe as a decoy? Brilliant!

SGH
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
i think that SGH goes to the point: when phil jackson's body became slow and rigid, also his mind became slow and rigid... if you think that zen is about flexibility, nothing is more far from zen than our coach's attitude... from years he can't read what's happening on the floor, and he doesn't want to change his formula for no reason at all... we have a very senile coach...
Personally, I think Phil is suffering from not having Tex sitting behind him telling him what to do. There was a camera shot in game 1 iat the end of the 4th quarter, a close up of Phil, and he looks at Frank Hamblen, and what I saw in his eyes was FEAR. Dude was scared. Go back and watch it, Phil doesn't have his security blanket. I think that's why he wants to retire, before we see what kind of a coach he is without Tex.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject:

thanks db

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
nikehair
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject:

Linus Kleiza did what Sasha should be doing for us...Sasha has been garbage and if he continues sucking while Bynum does nothing, no way we win the series.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: