ROCKETS -at- LAKERS - 5/17 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
So does the rest of the team(play better at home). That's a non-sequitur if I ever heard one, considering it was Phil who game planned Bynum from having any offensive touches other than garbage putbacks: that is until his back's against the wall in a game 7. This is more Phil BS, he still can't stand the fact Jimmy's picked him over that loser Phil wanted.

I was shocked by what came out of PJ's mouth during that brief interview. Honestly, all I could think of was, "What a jerk". Took some of the shine off the victory for me.

Why can't he just say that Bynum played well? Does is hurt to give the kid a compliment?

Phil trusts who he trusts. Bynum isn't on that list and so, despite proving that the more minutes he gets the better he plays, Bynum doesn't get the minutes he should. Given how stubborn Phil is with playing Fisher, the way he treats Bynum is like salt in the wound.

Bynum played more in this series than he did in the last, especially towards the end. Maybe Phil is relenting and its the beginning of more Bynum... we can only hope.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ROCKETS -at- LAKERS - 5/17 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Splashing through the green algae and brown waters toward the smoke come the Horsemen. They have an intensity and energy about them.

They charge straight into the smoke with determination. Immediately, there are screams from their opponent. The biggest of Horsemen can be seen above the red fog throwing haymakers. The screams fade one by one as the Horsemen devour their opponent. The red smoke is inhaled. They are like soul-eaters, like cannibal witches feasting on what is taboo. It is just smoke, but it is primal. It is brutal. When they are done, there is nothing left.

Love the imagery there. Wow. DB coming thru in the clutch time and time again. Thats what's up!!!
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
mirak wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
So does the rest of the team(play better at home). That's a non-sequitur if I ever heard one, considering it was Phil who game planned Bynum from having any offensive touches other than garbage putbacks: that is until his back's against the wall in a game 7. This is more Phil BS, he still can't stand the fact Jimmy's picked him over that loser Phil wanted.

I was shocked by what came out of PJ's mouth during that brief interview. Honestly, all I could think of was, "What a jerk". Took some of the shine off the victory for me.

Why can't he just say that Bynum played well? Does is hurt to give the kid a compliment?

Phil trusts who he trusts. Bynum isn't on that list and so, despite proving that the more minutes he gets the better he plays, Bynum doesn't get the minutes he should. Given how stubborn Phil is with playing Fisher, the way he treats Bynum is like salt in the wound.

Bynum played more in this series than he did in the last, especially towards the end. Maybe Phil is relenting and its the beginning of more Bynum... we can only hope.

PJ is stubborn to a fault. There were numerous times this series when he just should have left Bynum keep playing. Moreover, I thought it was crazy to tell Bynum "just concentrate on playing defense and getting rebounds.'"The reason why is that it makes a player self-conscious -- it takes away his instincts. he should've just told Bynu8m to play aggressively on both ends. We saw Bynum start thinking too much out there, trying NOT to be aggressive on offense because he didn't want to cross PJ. PJ should have used Bynum all along the way Bynum was being used today -- be opportunistic with the offense, and let him be instinctive on D. But by trying to straight-jacket Bynum on offense, he made him robotic-seeming. Anyway, that's my two cents on that. Hopefully, Bynum has gotten out of PJ's dog-house, and out of the refs' doghouse. If that happened, Bynum will roll. You see what a difference his presence makes out there on defense. He can be dominant, but let the kid play.

My only other quibble was Shannon's short minutes. To me, he has by far been the best "PG" for the lakers for the first two series. I wasn't convinced by Farmar. He just looked better in comparison to Fish who has been putrid on both ends. But Farmar still makes poor decisions, and will get abused by Chauncey the same way Deron abuses him. But it wouldn't surprise me for PJ to play Farmar all what should be Shannon's minutes. PJ has been oddly slow to react to the very obvious trends out on the floor by this team.

SGH
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Luca Brasi wrote:
i feel a little bit vindicated after last game's thoughts and ratings thread. bynum had 5 rebounds, 2 blks, in 12 first half minutes (numbers thought of as either unheard or not fair considering his age),

The numbers I said which were unfair was for him to average 7 rebounds every 15 minutes. You had criticized him for averaging 5 rebounds every 15 minutes. In this game, he averaged about 4 rebounds in every 15 minutes, yet I am not hearing criticism, only praise. Interesting.

I wouldn't feel vindicated, he still isn't living up to your lofty statistical standard. As I said (and as DB stated above), he didn't need to live up to that standard because he was still playing fine all along (especially defensively). He just needed the minutes... this game is proof of that.

maybe you're reading between the lines, i am huge andrew fan and maybe that's why my expectations are some what lofty, but not out of the realm of his ability.

when andrew is aggressive and focused he can have the impact that he had in the first quarter, defensively. i apologize if i got caught up in the stats the other day, i think it's obvious after today's first quarter that it isn't the coach or a lack of touches that would keep andrew from playing like this - it might be age and lack of experience though, but it certainly not those things.

either way, i still hold to the contention that we can only win a ring if andrew plays like he played in the first quarter, that's the best pick n roll defense/interior defense i have seen from a laker center in a long time.

i do apologize if my tone was overboard, though. my apologies, LS. not for popcorn machine though

But you have to feed the dog if you want him to guard the yard! Bynum needs touches to keep his head in the game on the defensive side. That is just the way it is with some bigs. If Bynum fights for low post position and the Lakers ignore him he gets discouraged and does not work the defensive end as hard as he should. To avoid that--get him some early offensive touches--Gasol as well. Game should be played inside out not the other way around. Feed the low post and everything else will work off of it. Simple. Phil is an idiot for waiting till the 7th game to put this game plan into play. Go with your strengths not your weaknesses.
MedRomLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB missed the game but recap helped paint a solid picture of the game.

4/30/14 the day the ant left the building!!!!!!
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject:

A great game, but I was surprised to see Brown get so few minutes, and not until the fourth quarter. What was that about?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Bynum needs more games and getting them

I guess Phil sees Andrew Bynum fulfilling simply a Bulls era Horace Grant function within the squad (defense, rebounds, hedges, blocks, picks), which is probably less glorified than Andrew wants. I see no reason Drew can't be more that that alone, thereby adding to the team's effectivity overall. I hope Kareem can continue to mentor Drew for a while more, through this period.
BornAndBredLakersFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject:

thanks DB
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I want to give a shot out to Mark Jackson for this game too. That line ".. Kobe doesn't see Battier's hand, all he sees is the net and they have a very good relationship" was probably the best line of any game this year.

IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I want to give a shot out to Mark Jackson for this game too. That line ".. Kobe doesn't see Battier's hand, all he sees is the net and they have a very good relationship" was probably the best line of any game this year.

why u sleepin' on me LS? i said that back on the song "Remember 81" which i released in January. i tell ya, a brotha can't get any credit these days. i can't even get a credit check!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Flo'z wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I want to give a shout out to Mark Jackson for this game too. That line ".. Kobe doesn't see Battier's hand, all he sees is the net and they have a very good relationship" was probably the best line of any game this year.

why u sleepin' on me LS? i said that back on the song "Remember 81" which i released in January. i tell ya, a brotha can't get any credit these days. i can't even get a credit check!

lol... you gotta get at your boy then for stealing your licks.

IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Flo'z wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I want to give a shout out to Mark Jackson for this game too. That line ".. Kobe doesn't see Battier's hand, all he sees is the net and they have a very good relationship" was probably the best line of any game this year.

lol... you gotta get at your boy then for stealing your licks.

Oh I got'em. I'm working on a song called "Awkward Shaped Assistman" in honor of one of the all-time leaders.

Correction on my part though: I released that back in November, so he definitely owes on me for that one!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject:

Interesting "debates"

IMO - one might consider the options listed below and mentioned by many of the tv commentators as to how the Lakers' should proceed

Focus on defense that will lead to good offense.
Advantage is that playing good "D" is mainly based on providing effort, in other words, playing professionally.

Focus on offense that will lead to good defense.
The Lakers have been embracing this attitude since they are very talented - offensively. Disadvantage is that if one is not making shots of offense and they are giving up points on the defensive end - only bad things will occur.

Sir Charles and Kenny the Jet says the team has already shown who they are. Should we witness the fact that teams do learn and change when motivated and/or forced to learn. Since the Lakers are definitely young and don't (outside of Kobe and DFish/PJ) have anybody that can tell them how to win a championship, I subscribe to the latter.

The Lakers could have taken lightly the Rockets (especially w/o Yao), they can't do that with the Nuggets

Just my opinion
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject:

Glad to see the outcome in yesterday's game. Thanks DB.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject:

thanks DB

I hope the Lakers play with the same intensity every game of the Denver series. it's so great to see Bynum engaged in the game.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject:

Nice to see Farmar play a good series. I see a lot of people still get on him for mistakes, but his good play and help win the series outshines his bonehead plays. Honestly, I was not paying close enough attention to know what those are.

However, even with all that, with how well he played against Houston, will his minutes diminish again against the bigger, stronger Billups? Will Brown get more minutes in the Denver series? Or will Jackson try to use Farmar for offensive speed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject:

Nice win, glad we advance. Thanks for the recap.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. I liked the intensity on the defensive end of the floor.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject:

It's really games like this one (and Game 5) that make you wonder why they can't do this every single night, especially in the playoffs.

Great defensive intensity for the full 48. The bigs were particularly active. Pau was a beast while Drew showed more promise. Even tho Kobe had a quiet game, the other guys stepped up.

I don't know whether to praise the undermanned Rockets for being gutsy enough to extend the series to 7 games or to curse at the Lakers for allowing it to happen. Hopefully, there's a lesson learned that the team will take into the next series.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject:

EIGHT MORE WINS
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: