LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 5/14 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pask
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject:

I´ll put the blame on Kobe and Phil.

As much as I firmly believe Kobe is one of the best ever, his weakness it´s in his head. He´s stubborn and plays some dumb ball . He sinked the Lakers in the first quarter. When we were down 2 in the third, he does a careless turnover, and fails to keep out of the paint Battier. That was a huge momentum breaker .

For all of his game experience, he doesn´t seem to notice that the best way to open up a defense is going straigth to the hoop instead of pulling up jumpers. When he´shot that´s fine, but in some other days you´re just shooting yourself in the foot. A few times in the first quarter he had some open lanes and instead settled for jumpers.

He also tends to go wild when the team is erasing the deficit. If something is working, keep doing it until it doesn´t work. That´s an easy concept.

Phil is also killing me this days. Call timeouts quicker. Use your bigs. They don´t have any. Bynum didn´t score because nobody was giving him a damn ball, but you could see the problems the Rockets were having with his help deffense. When Scola passed through Pau and found Bynum a few times in the third, we were getting stops, rebounds and quick scores. When we sat Bynum, that dissapeared too.

If Fisher is in a slump, play other players. Farmar has beens surprisingly effective. So keep him in court.

Also this like a game seven, we could have closed the series. Then we can shorten rotations, keep some players more minutes in court After that we would have three days until Denver. Instead of those extra minutes, we get an extra game.

Oh, Phil, sometimes is a good idea to get a T. Referees tend to alter somehow his whistling after a coach T.

I could also add heresome comments that I made after game 4, but that game the Rockets were hot from the outside. This time they don´t even need that.

Shameless. Again
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject:

I thought Ron Artest ran into the crowd, dramatizing a foremarm shiv from Kobe. I don't remember exactly, does anyone remember whether he ran into the crowd?

Last edited by Rick12322 on Fri May 15, 2009 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
X56
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject:

They wanted to be tested... so they got what they wished for..
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject:

Adelman is making Phil his (bleep)
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject:

It's easy to overreact in these situations. But it's hard to ignore the part Phil Jackson has played in this.

His refusal to acknowledge that Fisher has no hope of staying in front of a jitterbug like Brooks combined with Fisher's shooting troubles (which started with around 20 games to go in the season) has crippled our team.

There are other problems (Pau's going Ghost, Bynum giving us nothing). But Fisher is the problem IMO.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject:

It seemed to me that the guards were playing Keep Away from the bigs. They just swing it around the perimeter instead of working it inside. I missed the first 5-7 minutes of the game, so I didn't see Bynum's scoring attempts (all 3 of them) but you can't just keep jacking up outside shots that aren't going in, especially on the road. You have to play to your strengths, and we didn't. It's really incredible that this team, and our playoff vets of Kobe and Fish in particular, could be that dumb. Drew needed way more shot attempts than 3, LO needed way more than 5. The bigs were shooting a good percentage even with Drew's 0/3, we needed to run the offense, run some plays for Drew and LO to get them involved. Unbelievable.

Props to LO. He gave what he had out there, but his mobility is clearly affected by his back injury. He had a hard time staying in front of his man on defense, and had a harder time helping and recovering on defense and pick and rolls. Mr. Half a Man almost outrebounded both Pau and Drew combined in far fewer minutes, and he almost contributed as many points as last game, but what impressed me most was the amount of extra possessions he gave the Lakers through steals, blocks, tipped balls, and hustle given how limited he was physically. I hope his back improves for game 7 and if we get through that, that he can regain his health and mobility for the rest of the playoffs.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject:

I wonder if there are deeper things going on in the locker room we don't know about? Seems they are all playing 1 on 1 and not moving the ball. Kobe must lead by example on both ends including taking care of the ball and boxing out. I thought LO (considering he is injured), Jordan & Brown played well.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject:

Did the Laker coahes ever go into details of offense or defense? They taled about execution, but how come the Lakers were so lacking in fundamentals, like boxing out, feeding the hot hands, get the ball inside?
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject:

jmark wrote:
I wonder if there are deeper things going on in the locker room we don't know about?

I wonder too.

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersDa1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject:

man o man, i dont even know what to think about game 7.... i dont care if it at home..... anybody's game..
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject:

tw-lakbfan wrote:
Did the Laker coahes ever go into details of offense or defense? They taled about execution, but how come the Lakers were so lacking in fundamentals, like boxing out, feeding the hot hands, get the ball inside?

The Lakers have been very bad at boxing out all year. LO has always relied on anticipating where the bounce will go, using his quickness and length. He's never developed the habit of finding a body to block out once a shot is taken. It may seem unorthodox to take your eye off the shot, but if you don't find a body to block out first,then look for the rebound, then the other team will swoop in and get it. Whenever Drew's been at the top of his game he did just that, found the body. He's still doing it, just not quite as effectively when at the top of his game with 100% health.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
jmark wrote:
I wonder if there are deeper things going on in the locker room we don't know about?

I wonder too.

Me too. I think Kobe and Phil have done some things that have backfired with the team, and they need to have a team meeting and clear the air, so to speak.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
jmark wrote:

I wonder too.
Andrew's comments in his interview seem especially significant to me. The part where he said he only defends and rebounds, and the offense goes through Pau and Kobe so he can't speak to not getting any points, etc. I think Phil may have lost Andrew.

Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
tw-lakbfan wrote:

The Lakers have been very bad at boxing out all year. LO has always relied on anticipating where the bounce will go, using his quickness and length. He's never developed the habit of finding a body to block out once a shot is taken. It may seem unorthodox to take your eye off the shot, but if you don't find a body to block out first,then look for the rebound, then the other team will swoop in and get it. Whenever Drew's been at the top of his game he did just that, found the body. He's still doing it, just not quite as effectively when at the top of his game with 100% health.
LO had 14 rebounds. I don't think his rebounding is the problem. He almost had more rebounds than Pau and Drew put together with significantly less minutes. Pau and Drew combined had 18 rebounds in a total of 60 minutes of playing time. LO had 14 by himself in only 29 minutes. Not to mention he's onlly 'half a man' out there. What's Pau and Drew's excuse? And don't mention Drew's knee, because at the end of the season he was playing well. He's sulking, and maybe rightfully so. He's been getting jerked around alot by Phil. In any case, blaming LO for not rebounding more in this game is ridiculous. Gimme a break.

Last edited by Arizona on Fri May 15, 2009 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject:

Arizona wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
jmark wrote:

I wonder too.
Andrew's comments in his interview seem especially significant to me. The part where he said he only defends and rebounds, and the offense goes through Pau and Kobe so he can't speak to not getting any points, etc. I think Phil may have lost Andrew.

He's following the coaches orders, if not he might get less than the 20 minutes he got last night. The people who is calling out Drew for not scoring is missing the point. He tried to score, he missed the points he got from rebounds. Bynum didn't have one post entry past, so blame the coach. He's following his instructions.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject:

AJLakerFan wrote:
Arizona wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
jmark wrote:

I wonder too.

He's following the coaches orders, if not he might get less than the 20 minutes he got last night. The people who is calling out Drew for not scoring is missing the point. He tried to score, he missed the points he got from rebounds. Bynum didn't have one post entry past, so blame the coach. He's following his instructions.
I'm not blaming Drew, I felt both he and LO should have had more touches last night. Like I said before, it was like the rest of the team was playing Keep Away' with them. Even if they were wide open near the hoop they swung the ball around the perimeter and jacked up bricks. And they were both calling for the ball. What I meant by my post is that it sounds like Drew isn't happy and is saying 'Don't blame me, I don't make the rules around here' which to me indicates friction and a problem in the locker room.

Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject:

AJLakerFan wrote:
Arizona wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
jmark wrote:

I wonder too.

Unfortunately this team seems to win in spite of Phil. Which I admit is a testament to our talent level.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject:

Arizona wrote:
LO had 14 rebounds.

It doesn't matter when the other teams F's get critical put backs because a player is not boxing out. And the point stands for the team as a whole, not just Odom. What I said is absolutely true and happens at critical times in games, not just last nights game. Go back and read my original post, it was a reference to the team(including Odom) addressing a habit that's extended to throughout the year.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject:

AJLakerFan wrote:
Arizona wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
jmark wrote:

I wonder too.

I agree. After Game 1 in this series Andrew has avoided the ball, and it appears because he's being instructed to. It's one thing to do that against Yao, another to do it against this current lineup. He's clearing out for others, he's setting picks. That's it. They aren't looking for him or running any kind of offense through him, which is a complete mistake. Not even passing to him last night was absolutely absurd. You want a higher percentage of makes? Get the ball to your bigmen with some consistency.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

I agree. After Game 1 in this series Andrew has avoided the ball, and it appears because he's being instructed to. .

I've been saying this all along. Remember when Phil said after game 1 that he didn't want Drew to worry about his offense, just the D and rebounding? His game has followed that pattern exactly. In game 1 vs. Houston, I remember Drew taking right back at Yao after Yao scored, and he made his shot. They stopped going to him right after that. I believed we could have gone to that more, and worn Yao out. As it turned out, Drew got benched and Yao was fresh as a spring chicken to close out the game against us.

It's really sad seeing his mind games destroying this team at the seams. I hope and pray, and beg Jerry Buss to come to his senses and get rid of his ass once and for all after this season's over.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
AJLakerFan wrote:
Arizona wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
jmark wrote:

I wonder too.

I agree. After Game 1 in this series Andrew has avoided the ball, and it appears because he's being instructed to. It's one thing to do that against Yao, another to do it against this current lineup. He's clearing out for others, he's setting picks. That's it. They aren't looking for him or running any kind of offense through him, which is a complete mistake. Not even passing to him last night was absolutely absurd. You want a higher percentage of makes? Get the ball to your bigmen with some consistency.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. If I had said this, I would be called a crank.

They are excluding maybe the most effective weapon they have, and have destroyed his confidence in the process. I know he had some bad games, but how much is it due to his leg brace and the way he is being treated.

Things were working fine when they brought him back at the end of the season. But once the playoffs started he was immediately in the dog house.

I remember it was suggested that the Lakers should use young Andrew Bynum as old Wilt was used by the Lakers of the early 70s. I laughed at the thought.

It appears the Lakers coaches actually think it is a good idea. Whether it is because they lost confidence in Andrew rather quickly, or it is being done to appease someone else, I don't know. But it is incredibly stupid in any case.

I'm with COCO!

Last edited by PopcornMachine on Fri May 15, 2009 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject:

^ this is crazy. andrew should buy into whatever role the coach asks. as of now, pau should be getting the most touches in the post, he's more skilled offensively at this point in their careers. also, andrew isn't getting deep position, what good would it do to have andrew catch the ball 15 feet from the basket, cause that's where he'd be catching the ball versus hayes or scola. and when he says scola wasn't his man, he was matched up with scola a few times and got burned defensively. but the main point is, his reticent in accepting the challenge of being our defensive anchor, regardless of his role in the offense, a role it's obvious now, that pau doesn't have the skill nor know how to be productive at.

if LO, a vet in a contract year can accept his role, and the tell the media that its about "us" and i'll do whatever the "team" needs to do to win a championship, then andrew should be able to do the same, since the lakers rewarded him with a huge contract.

i love andrew, but his attitude this post season has been a huge disappointment, and its mainly due to his inner circle-handlers who place andrew's personal goals above the team
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
^ this is crazy. andrew should buy into whatever role the coach asks. as of now, pau should be getting the most touches in the post, he's more skilled offensively at this point in their careers. also, andrew isn't getting deep position, what good would it do to have andrew catch the ball 15 feet from the basket, cause that's where he'd be catching the ball versus hayes or scola. and when he says scola wasn't his man, he was matched up with scola a few times and got burned defensively. but the main point is, his reticent in accepting the challenge of being our defensive anchor, regardless of his role in the offense, a role it's obvious now, that pau doesn't have the skill nor know how to be productive at.

if LO, a vet in a contract year can accept his role, and the tell the media that its about "us" and i'll do whatever the "team" needs to do to win a championship, then andrew should be able to do the same, since the lakers rewarded him with a huge contract.

i love andrew, but his attitude this post season has been a huge disappointment, and its mainly due to his inner circle-handlers who place andrew's personal goals above the team

I don't see a bad attitude at all. And to let him have 3 offensive attempts in game 1 and call it a series is above stupidity. If he has a hard time getting deep position, all that's needed is a back pick, once he's free there is no one on the Rockets who can stop him. Pau's got a deadly mid range game, get Drew in the post and Pau will have either an open J or a wide open path for rebound putbacks.

Drew's attitude has been mature and perfect, IMO. You can't cite even one place where he said he wasn't happy or disagreed with his coach. He's done all that was asked of him. You assume facts not in evidence to build yourself a convenient strawman dummy for poring out your pathetic tears. That's the truth behind most of the Bynum hate, and the truth hurts, doesn't it.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:

Well, gosh man. You've got to let everyone know that you have 'indisder' information about Andrew's inner circle. I mean, you 'know' what's going on, so end of stroy. I guess DB was totally off base.

DancingBarry wrote:
They aren't looking for him or running any kind of offense through him, which is a complete mistake. Not even passing to him last night was absolutely absurd. You want a higher percentage of makes? Get the ball to your bigmen with some consistency.

If anyone on this team has displayed a selfish attitude....it's not Andrew.

I'm with COCO!
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:

All Odom has done is come off the bench. His minutes has still been over 30 min. per game. No one has told him to not look for his own offense. He has played the way he always has. No one is trying to change him.

Still there is no reason all 3 shouldn't be on the floor at the same time. Phil was given a gift most coaches would dream of having and he has failed to even once try using it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: